Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ImpAtom posted:

There are multiple statue protection missions so I'm not sure of the one you mean.

One thing though: Keep an eye out for SPELLCASTERS. They can utterly totally wreck your defense objections quickly.

Also make sure you're placing monster minions in checkpoints, not in front of the object you want to defend. They are there to slow enemies down. Once the enemy gets to the defense object the monster minions will not go after them aggressively enough to be good guards.

Ah fair enough, it's the elevator one that's constantly going up floors for what it matters, but that sounds like it would be my problem as I usually try to set up guards around the point that needs protecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Ah fair enough, it's the elevator one that's constantly going up floors for what it matters, but that sounds like it would be my problem as I usually try to set up guards around the point that needs protecting.

Yeah, I think that's something it's easy to overlook since it's a natural thought that "oh, well, I'll just have a thousand dudes around my base." The problem is that the AI just isn't good enough for it. If you actually watch, they don't prioritize dangerous minions or anything, they just basically function as walls. Once something gets past those walls they're mostly useless.\

I can say for sure that stage has some spellcasters who tear your base down quick. It's probably worth stopping to kill any swarms of spellcasters you see on the way to a nightmaw. (Imps and sorcerers mostly.) They're the guys who really pound them down, even more than 'boss' characters.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Dragon Quest VII remains to me the simply "largest" loving game ever put out. It really feels like that game has no end. I'd heard people legitimately clock the average completion time at 120 hours and I believe it. It's so dense, for good or for ill. I've to this day never beaten it, and it kind of remains this really frustrating white whale in my life. It's beyond huge and I don't think any Dragon Quest will ever hope to approach that sheer size again.

Otherwise, I'd agree with consensus that IV is effing sweet.

Unrelated: I bought Dragon Quest Heroes today!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
should I play DQVII?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Calaveron posted:

Oh man that trial where you learn zoom is kinda hard isn't it, when you're fighting the automatrons and all the shield Knights who interrupt your attacks plus heal slimes

i didn't have any trouble because i use lightning on robots and they can't deal.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tired Moritz posted:

should I play DQVII?

Yeah

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Dragon Quest VII remains to me the simply "largest" loving game ever put out. It really feels like that game has no end. I'd heard people legitimately clock the average completion time at 120 hours and I believe it. It's so dense, for good or for ill. I've to this day never beaten it, and it kind of remains this really frustrating white whale in my life. It's beyond huge and I don't think any Dragon Quest will ever hope to approach that sheer size again.

Otherwise, I'd agree with consensus that IV is effing sweet.

Unrelated: I bought Dragon Quest Heroes today!

When I originally played it on the PSX I never finished it, however some game clock stuff I remember:

- Didn't get in to my first fight until 3-4 hours in to the game (I was dumb and the ruins 'maze' early in the game had me confused and I backtracked a bunch plus exploded everything).
- Didn't get to Dharma until over 20 hours in to the game.
- Part of my memory card slots got messed up (it was one of those dozen+ 'card' memory cards) which made me lose all progress from the start of Dharma's island up to some boss fight at a well.
- Redid Dharma and did some class grinding around the area to master a class or two, left the island at something like 25-26 hours in to the game.
- Had Gabo and the MC almost mastered in Paladin (which meant Godhand immediately after) at around 45-50 hours in.
- Lost several hours of my life trying to find a shard that was lying on the ground in a boss room(?) that I didn't check fully.
- Replayed it later on an emulator because good god this game needs frame skip and beat the boss at something like 75-80 hours of game play. That was with me already knowing a good 60% of the game from playing years ago, and going straight to the walkthroughs to verify shard locations because gently caress the map shard bullshit in this game it is awful.

The only console RPG I can think of that I put a similar amount of time in to beating (and didn't do tons of side quest poo poo in either) was Xenoblade Chronicles, which was also a 70+ hour playthrough with the last 8ish hours being me starting to really want to wrap things up. Suikoden V can feel pretty drat long as well when you're hunting down the 108 stars but I'm pretty sure even then that game is 'only' 40 hours or so.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

should I play DQVII?

I think every DQ past II is probably worth playing, if you like JRPGs.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

In Training posted:

Pretty much. They are Good Games.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

In Training posted:

This is correct.

However, I would not under any circumstances do them all in a row. They are (intentionally) similar enough to each other in feel that I can't imagine you wouldn't burn out.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I like DQ6 a lot but I don't see it mentioned often :(

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I remember there being something a bit off about DQ6 compared to the other two in that trilogy, on the DS. There's just something about it that makes it not quite as memorable. Still great of course.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Hivac posted:

I like DQ6 a lot but I don't see it mentioned often :(

DQ6 just comes off feeling kind of unpolished compared to 4 and 5. It's way grindy and overstays its welcome a little too long. The class system isn't really well implemented. I like the soundtrack a lot though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DQ6 just feels like a game that crammed too many ideas in it. Not that it makes it a bad game but 4 and 5 were way better at knowing what they wanted to be.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Step 1: Have Bianca in your team.
Step 2: Play as Bianca
Step 3: Utterly wreck fools with her spells/Charged square attack.

Seriously, she's incredibly OP for most missions.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So is the conceit in dqh that Nera and Bianca are going to get married to each other? Awfully progressive for a mainstream japanese game brought overseas.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Levantine posted:

DQ6 just comes off feeling kind of unpolished compared to 4 and 5. It's way grindy and overstays its welcome a little too long. The class system isn't really well implemented. I like the soundtrack a lot though.

The class system in DQ6 is pretty simple and straightforward. It's better than the utter clusterfuck we got with DQ7 where some jobs were not only of questionable use, but they didn't lead to an advance tier job like Godhand so using them was an even bigger waste of time.

Then you had the monster jobs which were the most absurd grindy poo poo possible. I liked DQ6 more than DQ5 except for the fact that the Mudo fight was bullshit-grade hard and since Dharma was unlocked immediately afterwards it's not like you could do anything but grind levels to make the fight less insane. The remake might've toned it down some but on the SFC it was like running in to a brick wall covered in broken glass.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Adam Bowen posted:

I love in DQ7 that you go on a quest to find the Chosen Hero instead of the main character being the hero and then what the gently caress he's as old as time

DQ5 was pretty clever with the whole "Chosen Hero" thing too.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Calaveron posted:

So is the conceit in dqh that Nera and Bianca are going to get married to each other? Awfully progressive for a mainstream japanese game brought overseas.

Nope. They're two of three choices that the main character in DQ5 can get married to.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

psychoJ posted:

Nope. They're two of three choices that the main character in DQ5 can get married to.

No yeah, I knew that but the way they went on about how each was about to get married and childhood friends while looking at each other and stuff like that I thought they we going to shake it up

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It'd be pretty weird and contrived though.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
They're in denial about the Hero choosing Debora, the correct choice.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Wouldn't Nera still be getting married to her childhood friend what's his face anyway in that case? Goddammit I demand these joking theories conform to canon! :argh:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

The class system in DQ6 is pretty simple and straightforward. It's better than the utter clusterfuck we got with DQ7 where some jobs were not only of questionable use, but they didn't lead to an advance tier job like Godhand so using them was an even bigger waste of time.

Then you had the monster jobs which were the most absurd grindy poo poo possible. I liked DQ6 more than DQ5 except for the fact that the Mudo fight was bullshit-grade hard and since Dharma was unlocked immediately afterwards it's not like you could do anything but grind levels to make the fight less insane. The remake might've toned it down some but on the SFC it was like running in to a brick wall covered in broken glass.

6 and 7 have the same problem where jobs require too much fighting to master and Dharma comes too late in the game. The higher tier jobs feel like post-game content for as many fighting you need to do. 7 is worse though, I agree.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I dislike 6's implementation of a class-changing system, but I like everything else about it. I like that it has a dense and complex overworld and I like the way the plot goes aimless for a while as you just travel around trying to find yourself (literally).

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Calaveron posted:

I would hope not because DQ5 DS heavily implies that they're sisters.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

TurnipFritter posted:

I would hope not because DQ5 DS heavily implies that they're sisters.

OK yeah that's gross but I admit I only know the wide strokes of dq5, like how there's another marriage candidate with dark hair

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i'm in favor of anything that would make nerds mad

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Geop posted:

Was waiting on a really cool "I WANNA PLAY THAT" game before getting an inevitable PS4; this was The One :staredog: Already got the PS4, but the week is largely occupied by work. I'll be grabbing it on the weekend though!

Maybe I'm just rationalizing my purchase, but I'm really glad I got a PS4 (metal slime edition, woo) so I could play DQ Heroes.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Nemo2342 posted:

Maybe I'm just rationalizing my purchase, but I'm really glad I got a PS4 (metal slime edition, woo) so I could play DQ Heroes.

I tried to buy one of these but it ran away. :(

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bit surprised that I haven't seen Dragon Quest Builders mentioned in this thread yet. I'm a bit wary of the whole Minecraft-like thing, but I really liked every other DQ spinoff, so. :shobon:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Lizard Wizard posted:

Bit surprised that I haven't seen Dragon Quest Builders mentioned in this thread yet. I'm a bit wary of the whole Minecraft-like thing, but I really liked every other DQ spinoff, so. :shobon:

I don't think I could buy something so unrealistic. I mean, everyone knows that if you accept the Dragon Lord's offer you die and respawn at the king, losing half your gold. That doesn't instantly wreck the kingdom, you just go back and don't be a dumbass the 2nd time!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if there are quests and a story that you accomplish however you want by building it will be epic. if its just minecraft with slimes it will be acceptable but not very interesting.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

if there are quests and a story that you accomplish however you want by building it will be epic. if its just minecraft with slimes it will be acceptable but not very interesting.

I don't remember where I read it, but from my understanding there will be quests and a goal.

EDIT: That Dragon Quest stream from July has about half an hour of gameplay.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 18, 2015

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
So wait, does this mean Loto will be one of the bosses in the game? That would be pretty sweet.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

I just saw a trailer for it today! It must not be coming to the US, though your article there was only posted on the 22nd..

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Man there's a lot of potential for characters and stuff in DQH but I feel like they are not even scratching the surface.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I'm only a few hours in but I'm kind of disappointed compared to Hyrule Warriors. That game was absolutely stuffed with characters and levels and content.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Calaveron posted:

Man there's a lot of potential for characters and stuff in DQH but I feel like they are not even scratching the surface.

I have this same feeling, but I feel more content since I know a sequel is coming already. As it stands, I like that DQH is trying a lot of new things at once.

The biggest thing they need to fix up is level design. This game sucks in big wide open spaces. Levels should become more vertical to take advantage of the jump feature and more narrow to keep the combat focused and tightly gathered a la other Musou games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Adam Bowen posted:

I'm only a few hours in but I'm kind of disappointed

:yikes: