Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Is there any advantage to using a weapon's secondary burst/semi-auto fire modes over manually bursting/tap firing with automatic fire?

Jabarto fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Jabarto posted:

Is there any advantage to using a weapon's secondary burst/semi-auto fire modes over manually bursting/tap firing with automatic fire?

Yes. It's mandatory on the A-TROSS and Gauss S and helpful on the other S guns. Switching to burst is hella viable.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jabarto posted:

Not really, with the exception of the TR's TRAP the recoil models don't change and are pretty anathema to bursting.

Weird as it is to say since they were SO BAD for SO LONG, the burst variants are actually fantastic guns now and if you like lasers of pure sex and death for whatever reason you may want to give them a whirl.

Otherwise, just use controlled bursts. This advice applies to literally all guns in the entire game

sitchelin posted:

Yes. It's mandatory on the A-TROSS and Gauss S and helpful on the other S guns. Switching to burst is hella viable.

These guns have a viable burst mode because the first shot recoil multiplier is reaaaaaallly low. Compact S skates by because it has a 3x167 burst so you can just brute force people down despite the poor accuracy of the burst. Burst modes on other guns like the EM6, Flare I think?, or just about any other gun will result in hitting a high FSRM more often which means you're better off doing full auto bursts.

It's kind of hosed but it's not as hosed as it used to be

edit - Tross actually has the lowest FSRM of any full auto weapon in the game and is also incredible and god I love it

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 18, 2015

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

NihilCredo posted:

Monetisation suggestion for DBG: sell 1-hour "boosts" that make your prox chat cross-faction.

holy loving poo poo

you could get squad boosts as well

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...
Now that I have a new computer I can finally try this out and get killed kids powered by Doritos and Mountain Dew.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Grausherra posted:

Now that I have a new computer I can finally try this out and get killed kids powered by Doritos and Mountain Dew.

Are you even loving ready for this game?

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

I bought a new monitor the other day but it's only good for 60hz. Should I return it and get another for 144hz? I mean, I'm fine with being capped at 60 frames and all but I don't know if it's just more worthwhile, for this game and others, to just buy the 144hz monitor.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

While 120 Hz vs 144 Hz is, partially, a matter of preference, either monitor types are rather affordable nowadays so you may want to look into getting one of them. If you are not sure why higher refresh rates are good, watch video below from 1:47 - it's a CS:GO video but the monitors still work the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjWSRTYV8e0

These articles show why 120 Hz is also worth consideration.

While I have no experience with either, when it comes to 144 Hz screens BenQ XL2420Z and BenQ XL2411Z are the monitors the absolute majority of professional CS:GO players use.

In my opinion, 120/144 Hz monitors are well worth the money, nowadays, if you like turbosperging in games where reaction is important.

:siren: For Planetside 2 (and for any other game) though you must maintain frame rate at least equal to your refresh rate, otherwise it won't really work.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 18, 2015

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Me and some friends reinstalled this game on a whim after having not played for like 2 years. I apparently have 2700 DB bux that I never spent, but I forget what I should be spending it on. Also, I suck at this now whats the noob loadout?

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap

voltron lion force posted:

Me and some friends reinstalled this game on a whim after having not played for like 2 years. I apparently have 2700 DB bux that I never spent, but I forget what I should be spending it on. Also, I suck at this now whats the noob loadout?

Quite a few new cosmetics to check out. Most items have seen deep price cuts since you've been gone and there is a whole sea of community created hats and vehicle trim to wade through. Make sure to check the tooltip details to see if they're faction specific or cross faction for more bang for your smedmarks.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

adm_snuggles.bmp

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Why is that in this thread? I get the whole shitposting thing, but thought we kept the shitposting to PS2 topics?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
How did you get a picture of me irl?

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

he's wearing a brony shirt, of course he's suspect

also shitposting cannot be contained to a single forum/mumble channel/video game, shitposting is universal

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

Why is that in this thread? I get the whole shitposting thing, but thought we kept the shitposting to PS2 topics?

I guess you don't 'get' shitposting then.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Protons posted:

I guess you don't 'get' shitposting then.

Shut up.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

New players for the love of god join an outfit. We have goon and goku threads in pgs. Join both, get in mumble, never play alone. You can even bring your friends.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
While you're there, during an alert or at all during prime time, please ask loudly and pertinently about "corn dogging."

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

also note to new players: don't play this game, it's bad and you should quit while you're ahead

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

While you're there, during an alert or at all during prime time, please ask loudly and pertinently about "corn dogging."
What is corn dogging? :confused:

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

google image search exists for this very reason

do it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

But Not Tonight posted:

google image search exists for this very reason

do it
Last time I did so on this forum I looked for goatse so no.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Ah, now that's more like it.

On a PS related note is it worth getting the NS-15M2? I am almost exclusively an ADS player at all ranges and I am already reasonably proficient with the NC6 Gauss SAW which has much better ADS accuracy and puts out much better damage. I suppose the NS-15M2 is geared more towards hip fire but at hip fire ranges its lower damage output is a bit worrying. Although if I get it with DBC I would also be able to use it on my TR and VS alts.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Antillie posted:

On a PS related note is it worth getting the NS-15M2? I am almost exclusively an ADS player at all ranges and I am already reasonably proficient with the NC6 Gauss SAW which has much better ADS accuracy and puts out much better damage. I suppose the NS-15M2 is geared more towards hip fire but at hip fire ranges its lower damage output is a bit worrying. Although if I get it with DBC I would also be able to use it on my TR and VS alts.

It's a laser with little recoil and has 0.75 ADS. Don't really try clearing rooms with it but if you're good at clicking heads then you can make it shine. It's pretty well suited to mid range and almost close range. It's one of my favorites in the game.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Antillie posted:

Do you like getting headshots? Like all the time? Without even trying? You want the NS-15.

By the way never ever hipfire with an LMG.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
The SAW amd NS-15M are absolute opposite ends of the LMG spectrum. If you can pop heads with a SAW you can do it with an NS15 and never even notice there is recoil. Its a hardcore ADS gun too, never hipfire an LMG

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I put a laser sight on my Orion for like 200 of the kills because I thought it was funny and also to practice not having a grip for once I got the Betelgeuse.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

I think I may make the NS-15M2 my next unlock then. What is the general consensus on the NS-11C?

Antillie fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 19, 2015

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Antillie posted:

I think I may make the NS-15M2 my next unlock then. What is the general consensus on the NS-11C?

Same thing, good gun if you can click on heads. Same with the 11A, all good at every range except super close because you'll likely lose out to someone with a dedicated CQC high rate of fire gun.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Antillie posted:

The NS LMG, AR, and Carbine are all roughly identical. Low recoil, great accuracy. The NS-11C serves really well as a hipfire gun too despite the low rate of fire, but you absolutely need to be chaining headshots or you're going to get dead.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Antillie posted:

It's a surprisingly solid gun with HVA and I had fun auraxing it.

Still, I wouldn't recommend it as an unlock, not because there's anything wrong with it but rather because the faction-specific NC options are both very good and very varied. If you get the Razor or the Compact Burst, both of which are cheaper, you're already set for the "low-recoil headshot machine" category.

(By contrast, the NS-15M is totally unlike anything else the NC has access to when it comes to light machine guns, so it's a worthy unlock.)

One thing in favour of the NS-11C, though, is that you can get it dirt cheap from the Steam DLCs, and those are some of the best money you can spend in the game, and it's a cross-faction unlock. That's the whole reason I auraxed it, otherwise I would have bought the Bandit.

Mustarde
Oct 26, 2014

Connoisseur of fine IPA`s and Chili with beans!
Lover of mayonnaise and anime!
The beauty of the NS11-C is that the 0.75 ADS speed really shines on such an accurate weapon. LA's frequently duel other LA's and the solid uptime, movement and accuracy let you compete very nicely in that arena. And once the other LA's are dead, you are left free to farm kills from above with ease. I see a lot of good LA's use the laser sight on it, but I always took the comp/grip route.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I just really like the sound the NS-11C makes :shrug: For me, it has the nicest sound effect out of the original three NS automatic weapons. The NS-15M sounds so weird.

Edit: NihilCredo is right, that Steam pack (First Recruit Bundle) is pretty good for the cost. NS-11C, NS-44 Commissioner, some camo, and a boost for like 5 bucks. Also I am told buying the pack just gives you an unlock code so you don't actually have to have PS2 installed via Steam.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 19, 2015

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

The NS-15M sounds very lightweight. But oh boy is it anything other than a heavy duty head popper.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If you're NC and using an NS AR or Carbine you're either an aurax hunter, fetishist, or profoundly misguided

I dislike the NS-15M personally because it's a miserable little peashooter and if you're going to use that kind of gun why play NC? But it does fill a niche that the GD-22S fills better so what can ya do

My heart literally breaks whenever I see someone using the NS-11A though. That's the same price as a Tross YOU COULD BE USING A TROSS

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I just bought the SAS-R and hoooly poo poo what a gun. I'm not even a good shot and I'm racking up kills with it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Jabarto posted:

I just bought the SAS-R and hoooly poo poo what a gun. I'm not even a good shot and I'm racking up kills with it.

The close range bolts are monsters. Plus, the TSAR looks awesome.

Mustarde
Oct 26, 2014

Connoisseur of fine IPA`s and Chili with beans!
Lover of mayonnaise and anime!
You guys need to look at the new victory points concept that is on PTS. It is game changing, and in my opinion, for the better.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/3pfsox/new_map_ui_pts/

Key points:
-You can lock continents by linking to both enemy WG's simultaneously
-You can lock by owning all tech/amp/bio simultaneously
-You can lock by owning 90% territory
-Permanent points mean that once you meet that achievement (owning all amp stations for example), you can lose an amp and will keep the points.
-If a faction gets enough permanent points, they can own a much lower territory % and still get a lock.

What this does is replace the increasingly boring mechanic of alert --> lock --> dead time --> alert. As much as I love alerts (which will still happen and reward permanent VP's), I have grown to hate what they do to the flow of the game. This system will keep alerts and they still matter, but now we have more objectives to attempt as an outfit, and more things to care about besides "when's the next alert".

I don't think DBG will ever be able to stop zerging or ghost capping continents. But I think this system will make it so you don't HAVE to in order to get a lock.

I've been chatting with the devs about this change for a while now and seeing it on PTS looks great. I think it is more important to the health of the game than the ANT system or any of the other stuff they are adding. Ultimately, the stale meta is what erodes the veteran playerbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
So basically Hossin will be a 24/7 VS ghost cap like usual, except now they get half price MAX's for it. Whee.

They need a system that prevents ghost capping a continent, otherwise we're back to the WDS days of massive zergs ignoring each other as they ghost cap different continents and it doesn't fix the T Zone that is Indar and the fronts that never change.

• Locked thread