Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Arclyte posted:

I mean is that the normal procedure or what the hell is going on? Surely they have a more "precise" tool to do whatever it is they're trying to accomplish.

He's getting one of these removed. It's probably not a very common procedure since they are generally meant to stay in for the rest of your life, so designing some specialized gadget is a lot more expensive than clamping it in a vise and hitting it with a hammer.

And hitting it with a hammer is probably the best way to get it out without damaging the fleshy parts of the leg. A "gentler" method would have to immobilize the leg securely, at which point it becomes a tug of war between soft tissue and titanium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Arclyte posted:

I mean is that the normal procedure or what the hell is going on? Surely they have a more "precise" tool to do whatever it is they're trying to accomplish.

Pretty normal. Anything involving bone-work can be really physical work, and the tools are more Home-Depot than medical. We do hips and knees at the hospital I work at, and they all involve a decent selection of hammers, eletric saws, and cordless drills.

The piece the guy is hammering on is the more "precise" tool, the only problem is sometimes they get stuck in the bone. After that there's little to be done other than forcing it out.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
WOw, I didn't think there is a sedative strong enough where that would be an ok thing.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I did. I've read TCC.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

WOw, I didn't think there is a sedative strong enough where that would be an ok thing.

Anesthesia, as far as I understand it, turns off the "you" part of the brain, the part that integrates all the different brain things going on all the time. The pain control is secondary/supplementary for recovery.

Please some doctor come in and correct me or better yet make a thread b/c this poo poo is fascinating.

e

Chard has a new favorite as of 05:44 on Oct 16, 2015

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Bones are literally rock, doc's basically trying to rip nails out of concrete.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Oh you bet there are. Once you make it so you can't stop breathing because you have a ventilator, your blood pressure is supported by medications, and your heart beat is supported, I can give you a whole ton of poo poo (with orders) and I'm just a nurse. Anesthesiologists and CRNAs get more tools and more leeway, too.

Orthopedic surgeons are the bro-iest of surgeons for many reasons, and hammers being one of their accepted surgical tools is one of them.

e; picture still makes me cringe, though, don't get me wrong.

Ravenfood has a new favorite as of 05:53 on Oct 16, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Wapole Languray posted:

Bones are literally rock, doc's basically trying to rip nails out of concrete.

Yep, and we even have more tools to remove screws/pins after they break off in your bones.

As crazy as hip and knee surgery may seem, medical instrumentation companies have made the process almost routine. There are so many devices and guides and jigs and all that to guide the doctors hand, that almost anyone could learn to do the broad strokes of the surgery. Obviously there is a world of knowledge and info needed to pull off a successful complete surgery, but the manual for any particular companies hip or knee "system", how to use it and operate on the patient, is something like 50 pages, start to finish.

If anyone is curious as how a knee surgery is performed, here's a link to the Surgical Technique Guide for Stryker Orthopaedics Triathlon Knee System.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ravenfood posted:

Orthopedic surgeons are the bro-iest of surgeons for many reasons, and hammers being one of their accepted surgical tools is one of them.

http://gomerblog.com/2014/09/bones/

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
:stare: Whelp the plate on my collar bone is staying the gently caress in now.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

...yessir. That was the worst accident I ever seen.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

You know what? I think I'm just going to stay single.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Mister Kingdom posted:

You know what? I think I'm just going to stay single.

That commercial is so loving weird.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

The Mentalizer posted:

That commercial is so loving weird.

How is it weird? Link to the source maybe?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

MrMidnight posted:

http://www.ispot.tv/share/7U1o

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Wait... wtf does eHarmony have to do with being religious?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Canned Panda posted:

Wait... wtf does eHarmony have to do with being religious?

The founder and CEO is a conservative Christian and pretty vocal about it. He originally refused to offer eHarmony's services to people looking for same-sex couples but changed his mind when the money became too good to pass up but he's still against it personally.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

DarklyDreaming posted:

The founder and CEO is a conservative Christian and pretty vocal about it. He originally refused to offer eHarmony's services to people looking for same-sex couples but changed his mind when the money became too good to pass up but he's still against it personally.

A few years ago, I tried to register on the site as an atheist and got the "You are among the 20% of people we can't match" message without explanation (which I later learned). I went back and answered all the questions exactly the same except for the religious ones.

I was accepted.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

That's not how I remember wrestling. Maybe if the gif was reversed.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR-NXv5Tma0

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

of all the gifs you could pick to show off that video, that's the gif you chose

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

New Tony Hawk's Pro Skater looking good

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Where are these two from?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Command Ant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxPyN6IK1tM

-e-
Both sequences are right after each other at 3:50, but watch the whole thing anyway.

Lurking Haro has a new favorite as of 15:10 on Oct 17, 2015

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Command Ant posted:

Is you're girlfriend a pokemans?

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

MrMidnight posted:

Sorry, didn't think to link the original. That gif is from the end of the commercial, where it's him just sitting there staring at the waitress like he's about to eat her for like 5 seconds. I think it was supposed to be a gag where she's so flabbergasted by the information he just gave her that she forgets to give him the check but it goes on so long (and the look on his face is so odd) that it's just kind of uncomfortable.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Took me a while to catch up with this thread because my phone never likes it :v:

Reminder that computers have gotten so ridiculously fast in the meantime that using goddamn JavaScript to emulate PSX-era Wipeout is viable.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

hhhat posted:

Is you're girlfriend a pokemans?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nice boobs. Shouldn't it have, like, half a dozen more of them?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bad Munki posted:

Nice boobs. Shouldn't it have, like, half a dozen more of them?

Don't be creepy dude. She's perfectly sexy just as she is.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

That's awesome.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Yes...YEEESSS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wwilCs4Jqg

Edit: Is it possible to get between 1:45 and 1:55 where the guy is just sweating glitter?

Bondematt has a new favorite as of 09:15 on Oct 18, 2015

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

That's grill is a sanic

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Great game, or greatest game?
http://i.imgur.com/msNZvMl.webm

https://youtu.be/IyRX9pYT48g
Every moment in this is giffable so someone please do it.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

http://i.imgur.com/kWE9xnC.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

You can't fool me!