Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Also Siri can do that. Pro-tip, be sure to put the contacts relationship in their entry. It's pretty convenient to say "call my mom's cell" and have it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I need a gaggle of lightning cables for my iPhone. What is the best intersection of cost and quality?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

IuniusBrutus posted:

I need a gaggle of lightning cables for my iPhone. What is the best intersection of cost and quality?

Monoprice or Amazon Basics.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Anker is also recommended.

I only buy MFi cables, but depending on how many you need and what for, it might be better to get cheap disposable yumcha cables instead.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Just go on eBay and buy those lots of 20 for like a dollar

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

So anyone found a fix for the fact that 9.0.2 is a buggy piece of junk that can't handle keyboard inputs?

Was just going through this thread and saw this. Did 9.0.2 break Swiftkey? I downloaded it yesterday and it just ended up slowing down my phone, it straight up wouldn't load a keyboard in spotlight.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Le Saboteur posted:

Was just going through this thread and saw this. Did 9.0.2 break Swiftkey? I downloaded it yesterday and it just ended up slowing down my phone, it straight up wouldn't load a keyboard in spotlight.

3rd party keyboards are poorly implemented by the OS, sadly.
My fix for the issue you're describing is to just flick open notes, click to pop the keyboard, then go back to what I was doing.

I use Swiftkey as well and find the occasional bug to be less annoying than losing the improved keyboard. Apple have "fixed" the issue we're describing several times, so don't plan on it getting better any time soon.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Lady Gaza posted:

Yes. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it either.

Yeah, I noticed sometimes it's immediately responsive an lets me swipe back to the home screen as well. Other times it doesn't. It's really odd.

I just noticed the option for wifi calling in my settings. Am I understanding this right: wifi calling routes my calls through my wifi instead of through like LTE for example? Yet those calls will still count against my usage for reasons, including roaming fees if I were roaming, even though it was all done through wifi?

Also, what's the difference between Apple Music, iTunes Cloud(?), and iTunes Match.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Well that's total poo poo. After sitting on my 6+ for 10 days, Amazon Trade in is sending it back because it is "severely damaged".

The phone was pristine. Something is fishy.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Feenix posted:

Well that's total poo poo. After sitting on my 6+ for 10 days, Amazon Trade in is sending it back because it is "severely damaged".

The phone was pristine. Something is fishy.

Haha, very interested to see what it looks like when they ship it back to you. I've never used Amazon Trade-in but haven't heard anything bad so far.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Michael Scott posted:

Haha, very interested to see what it looks like when they ship it back to you. I've never used Amazon Trade-in but haven't heard anything bad so far.

Oh I've used them a ton (for iPhones, too. No complaints ever...)

I'm imagining it either got destroyed in shipment or the person at AMAZON inspecting it was a monkey with a hammer.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also, what's the difference between Apple Music, iTunes Cloud(?), and iTunes Match.
Apple Music: streaming service
iTunes in the Cloud: iTunes Store purchases synced across devices
iTunes Match: non-iTunes-purchased music synced across devices

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

wolffenstein posted:

Apple Music: streaming service
iTunes in the Cloud: iTunes Store purchases synced across devices
iTunes Match: non-iTunes-purchased music synced across devices

Note that each includes the services below it in price, so subscribing to Apple Music gets you iTunes Match, you don't have to pay separately for both.

e: or maybe not. http://www.macworld.com/article/2943703/how-itunes-match-and-apple-music-work-together.html

Eddy :argh:

carry on then fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 18, 2015

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I think you were right the first time. I subscribe to Apple Music (not Match), and I can stream all of the non-iTunes purchased music in my iTunes library. Stuff like mashups that's definitely not available for purchase from the iTunes Store.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Anyone else having problems backing up to iTunes?

I've been getting "not enough space" errors every night, and I've upgraded from 20-50-200GB to no avail. I've tried to force a backup several times this morning, it's failed each time, citing not enough space.

181GB free, 128GB iPhone 6S, nowhere near full.

Edit: I haven't been able to backup since getting the 6S, at all.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 18, 2015

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

When the hell is Verizon going to enable wifi calling? I get a lovely signal in my house and it's going to be a god send.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Does anyone have an Automatic? http://automatic.com

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I do. It's pretty cool and works as advertised.:thumbsup:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

noirstronaut posted:

Does anyone have an Automatic? http://automatic.com

Yes. It's ok.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd be super cautious about plugging any kind of wireless connectivity into your ODB2 port. It's giving anyone who walks by free reign into the horribly insecure CAN that all our cars have installed because manufacturers couldn't be arsed to even look up the word "security" in the dictionary.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
There's a portable charger with Lightning cable on Amazon for $4.99 using coupon code KJORYQYJ

http://amzn.to/1kiw40o

Regular price $9.99 - $5 coupon =$4.99

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

lowcrabdiet posted:

There's a portable charger with Lightning cable on Amazon for $4.99 using coupon code KJORYQYJ

Thanks for the tip :grin:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Anyone know how long that deal will last? I can get a $5 code from Bing before the week's end and it's essentially free at that point.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Those portable chargers are things that have amazing sales all the time though. I got a Zilu 13,000 mAh one for 16.99, right now 24.99. The ones between 5,000 mAh and 10,000 mAh can be had now and then for between 8.99 and 14.99 and that's likely 2 full charges rather than one.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lowcrabdiet posted:

gently caress, is this 2.4A? I just bought a 2.4A portable charger with Lightning cable on Amazon for $29.99 a few days ago :negative:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Nope, 1.5A

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

gently caress, is this 2.4A? I just bought a 2.4A portable charger with Lightning cable on Amazon for $29.99 a few days ago :negative:

It says 1.5A on the ad. I have a 10 or 13,000mAh Kmashi charger I picked up on a similar sale for 10 dollars. It's fantastic. Charges a typical phone 3x. Mine has one 2.4A and one 1.5A port so it's actually nice if a couple friends want to charge their stuff as well.

Only complaint (not really) is the size of the charger which is pretty thick. I wish mine was similar to this form factor instead of an old nokia candy bar.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Apple opens up APIs after a period of time, sometime, right?

All I want is to do is say "Hey Siri, play my Sonos playlist ______."

Is that too much to hope for?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Krakkles posted:

Anyone else having problems backing up to iTunes?

I've been getting "not enough space" errors every night, and I've upgraded from 20-50-200GB to no avail. I've tried to force a backup several times this morning, it's failed each time, citing not enough space.

181GB free, 128GB iPhone 6S, nowhere near full.

Edit: I haven't been able to backup since getting the 6S, at all.
I've got a similar backup issue where, looking at my iCloud backups settings, everything should only take about 3.5GB of space but I'm told the backup is taking my full 5GB and haven't been able to take a non-iTunes backup for some time now. iPhone 6 running the 8.1 Public Beta if that makes a difference.

Half tempted to just pay the £12 a year or whatever for 50GB of space and start using that iCloud Photo Library stuff, though I never quite got what the full advantage was of it over Photo Stream for people not using 16GB iPhones who can't store their full-size photos on the device itself.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

Half tempted to just pay the £12 a year or whatever for 50GB of space and start using that iCloud Photo Library stuff, though I never quite got what the full advantage was of it over Photo Stream for people not using 16GB iPhones who can't store their full-size photos on the device itself.

Photo Stream only syncs the last 1000 photos to and from the device, this syncs all the library data (including face tags, albums, edits etc) including changes to previously synced photos. I've recently upgraded to a 64gb 6S and splashed out the tenner a year for it, it's great having every photo I've taken over the last ten years available on my phone.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Froist posted:

Photo Stream only syncs the last 1000 photos to and from the device, this syncs all the library data (including face tags, albums, edits etc) including changes to previously synced photos. I've recently upgraded to a 64gb 6S and splashed out the tenner a year for it, it's great having every photo I've taken over the last ten years available on my phone.
Assuming I don't have a Mac (therefore no face tags) and don't do a lot of photo edits, is there much advantage of it over Google Photos? Also if I start using it then later cancel, is there a simple way to pull all the original photos back down to my PC for keeping? I almost feel like I just wanna pay a tenner to make this "not enough space for your backup" nonsense go away anyway!

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I kept getting iCloud backup warnings even though I was under 5gb (I don't backup photos with iCloud). Turns out that even if you turn off photo backup under the iCloud settings you have to go into the specific backup options for each device and turn off photos there (iCloud - storage - manage storage - then select a device).

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Lady Gaza posted:

I kept getting iCloud backup warnings even though I was under 5gb (I don't backup photos with iCloud). Turns out that even if you turn off photo backup under the iCloud settings you have to go into the specific backup options for each device and turn off photos there (iCloud - storage - manage storage - then select a device).
I'd done that, but the photos on my iPhone were 2.8 GB of the backup size and the rest was practically nothing. I don't back up my iPad since the free tier only gives me enough room to back up one device. I'll do roughly bi-weekly backups on my PC anyway.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Assuming I don't have a Mac (therefore no face tags) and don't do a lot of photo edits, is there much advantage of it over Google Photos? Also if I start using it then later cancel, is there a simple way to pull all the original photos back down to my PC for keeping? I almost feel like I just wanna pay a tenner to make this "not enough space for your backup" nonsense go away anyway!

Ah yeah, the value is definitely diminished if you're not entrenched in the Apple ecosystem all round. I guess all the above info would be synced to your iPad too if that makes it worth it? For what it's worth I was able to back up both my phone and iPad to the free tier of iCloud backup before I upgraded for Photo Library.

You can access the photos through the iCloud web interface, but it's not a pleasant experience for bulk downloading. Maybe Google Photos does fit your needs better - I've never tried it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

lowcrabdiet posted:

Guess this was a flash deal or something. Code is saying expired.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I think for convenience I may try it anyway. I assume through the web interface I can upload a big album of images from my PC to iCloud? Right now I have an album of stuff synced directly to my iPhone and iPad, you because of the unique way Apple handles photo albums, these are completely unchangeable on the devices themselves, so merging my PC and my iPhone/iPad albums would be pretty neat, I guess. Face tagging on iCloud.com I assume is a bit of a pipedream.

One last question, does the iCloud.com view (or even the app on the devices after it goes through iCloud scanning stuff) let you do detailed searches of your photos? i.e. on Google Photos I can search "dog" and, without any tagging on my part, it'll show me any photos where their scanning software picked up a dog. It's been hella accurate so far.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I think for convenience I may try it anyway. I assume through the web interface I can upload a big album of images from my PC to iCloud? Right now I have an album of stuff synced directly to my iPhone and iPad, you because of the unique way Apple handles photo albums, these are completely unchangeable on the devices themselves, so merging my PC and my iPhone/iPad albums would be pretty neat, I guess. Face tagging on iCloud.com I assume is a bit of a pipedream.
I've not tried any bulk uploads through the web interface, so I can't comment there. There is an upload button but it just launches a file picker - you can select multiple files, but there's no "Upload this entire nested folder structure" type option. I uploaded my (22gb) library from my Mac's Photos app and it took about 4 days to complete. There are no editing features on the web version, which includes the tagging options. I now have a smart album on my Mac library that picks out any photos not listed in other albums and I tidy these into albums (and tag them up) every so often.

In terms of getting to one unified library with your PC, iPhone and iPad it will probably be an improvement for you, but you'll miss out on a bunch of organisation options without a Mac unfortunately. My main concern was that iOS would "intelligently" manage the storage consumed on my iDevices with no options to purge the full-sized images, leaving me with minimal space on my device. Luckily that hasn't been the case - my 22gb "raw" library synced down to my iPad consuming 1.4gb of space for the thumbnails.

One last question, does the iCloud.com view (or even the app on the devices after it goes through iCloud scanning stuff) let you do detailed searches of your photos? i.e. on Google Photos I can search "dog" and, without any tagging on my part, it'll show me any photos where their scanning software picked up a dog. It's been hella accurate so far.

Yes and no. You can search for any tags you may have added (including face tags, though there isn't a "Faces" view like in the OS X app), but it doesn't do any processing and auto-tagging in the cloud.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Keep in mind that "unified library" means exactly that -- what's on your PC/Mac in the library folder isn't a separate copy. You delete a pic from one device, it's gone from the library on all devices (unless you keep copies elsewhere, of course).

Also I'll mention another option again, while Google Drive works well Amazon Prime members get unlimited photo storage space, they don't compress photos, and they have an iOS app that will automatically sync new photos.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Keep in mind that "unified library" means exactly that -- what's on your PC/Mac in the library folder isn't a separate copy. You delete a pic from one device, it's gone from the library on all devices (unless you keep copies elsewhere, of course).

Also I'll mention another option again, while Google Drive works well Amazon Prime members get unlimited photo storage space, they don't compress photos, and they have an iOS app that will automatically sync new photos.

This isn't really related for phone usage, but for any other photographers out there, they also allow you to upload RAW files, which is pretty great; I have jpegs in a couple spots but my raw stuff now also gets uploaded to Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Michael Scott posted:

Weather Underground master race checking in. It's good, despite being acquired by The Weather Channel a few years ago. It's managed to keep its data-heavy focus and gives you a really well-rounded look at what's going on. I recommend checking it out.

I love wunderground. I even have my own PWS set up in my yard.