Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

DarthBlingBling posted:

You know, all you need to do is wait 3 weeks and 6 days, quickly grind the 750 merits, cash in.

You now have access to the shields

Oh I don't have to maintain anything? I'm having fun dragging dudes out of SC and murdering them anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Basically you just need to be level 3 after 4 weeks pledged.

In the meantime do whatever fun things you wish

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
Just had the FuelRats save me this morning on a Sothis smuggling run. Thanks CMDR Prodirus!

Made sure to tip him some Sothis Rares as a thank you! Man, the Fuelrats are awesome!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Railgun is a PVP monster. Worthless in PVE.

As someone who doesn't give a poo poo about open world PvP, I wish more guns were more viable in PvE.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Grabbed a total of 100 mil @ Sothis, the server problems are getting too frustrating so I call it a successful day.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well poo poo. Wake me up when there's a little more depth to the PvE stuff. :\

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

As someone who doesn't give a poo poo about open world PvP, I wish more guns were more viable in PvE.

I did a bunch of kill missions today using railguns. It worked out great. You just can't bounty farm with them for very long but for missions the ammo isn't a problem.

I don't bounty hunter at all anymore so I'm just using the weapons I prefer. For CZs ammo will still be a concern though.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 18, 2015

PseudoFaux
Oct 9, 2012
This has been brought up before, but after a 6 and 1/2 minute jump, I've got to ask, what the hell is going on?

Nosfereefer posted:

Grabbed a total of 100 mil @ Sothis, the server problems are getting too frustrating so I call it a successful day.

I want to , but I wanna get enough to Aclass a DBE before frontier fixes sothis. I just wanna grab a random direction and just start cruising.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've only been playing this a few days though and 'upgrading' weapons only to find out the very first type of weapon they gave you was the best overall is a really lovely thing to learn.

Anyway. SOTHIS.

So if you can re-buy cargo closer to your destination to fulfill smuggle missions, can you just grab a bunch of missions, jettison your cargo, repeat until your eyeballs fall out. Scoot closer to your target while being free of idiots looking for you or your loot, buy illegal goods at your destination area. Smuggling missions without the cargo restriction.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

PseudoFaux posted:

This has been brought up before, but after a 6 and 1/2 minute jump, I've got to ask, what the hell is going on?

I want to , but I wanna get enough to Aclass a DBE before frontier fixes sothis. I just wanna grab a random direction and just start cruising.

Are you in solo? Sounded like the long loads were mostly a solo issue.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
Sothis runs are much more comfortable in an Asp than a Cobra. What ship should I plan on buying next?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

This game is missing a couple of key features:

Time played
Quest/mission log
A log of all systems, planets, etc explored. I'd like a log of where I've been, what I've found, and where I found that sweet A5 frameshift and can't remember where it was.

I'm sure there's other poo poo.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
It seems my reach exceeded my grasp. I ran rares in a hauler until I could get a Explorer. I'm not digging the Explorer. On paper it seemed pretty good - long jump range, some cargo capacity, decent poo poo. In practice it's kinda blah(can't jump as far as my hauler carrying a load, lovely loving gas milage .... not likeing it)... I'm thinking about selling it and getting a cobra Mk3 to play with until I have loads of space monies so I can just A grade poo poo as soon as I buy it.

This sound logic or am I missing something obvious on the Explorer?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

PadreScout posted:

It seems my reach exceeded my grasp. I ran rares in a hauler until I could get a Explorer. I'm not digging the Explorer. On paper it seemed pretty good - long jump range, some cargo capacity, decent poo poo. In practice it's kinda blah(can't jump as far as my hauler carrying a load, lovely loving gas milage .... not likeing it)... I'm thinking about selling it and getting a cobra Mk3 to play with until I have loads of space monies so I can just A grade poo poo as soon as I buy it.

This sound logic or am I missing something obvious on the Explorer?

Which explorer? Diamondback or Asp? I'm assuming diamond back. My biggest issue with the DB is that Lakon makes their ships look as non-stylish as possible with exposed cables and poo poo everywhere. It's the future assholes, hide your wiring! I thought I was back in the Mass Effect 3 Normandy and maybe that I'd bought the ship before it was done being built.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
The last few days of the Sothis run have been good to me.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Which explorer? Diamondback or Asp? I'm assuming diamond back. My biggest issue with the DB is that Lakon makes their ships look as non-stylish as possible with exposed cables and poo poo everywhere. It's the future assholes, hide your wiring! I thought I was back in the Mass Effect 3 Normandy and maybe that I'd bought the ship before it was done being built.

Yeah- Diamondback Explorer. I thought since it carries so much fuel and has a what? 35 LY max jump range it'd let me do my rare routes with fewer fuel stops, but in reality it just uses a shitton more gas and only seems to jump around 17 LY with cargo. My little hauler can do 24. Adds 4 or 5 freaking jumps to my route. I like the look of it, that's why I bought it, but drat man, it's not working out for me. Maybe I'll leave in the hangar until I can afford to really hop it up, that or just buy the loving Cobra. I got the drat Diamondback Explorer blues.

I have a little rare route I do when I get bored, 8 item run - 5 jumps, gets my about 200-240 grand per loop. I was wanting to supplement it with some factional gain murdering. Think a cobra would work out better for me? Basially I want to jump far and haul 8-14 cargo. Fighting ... dunno, never fought. I've litertally gone sidewinder>hauler>Explorer.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 18, 2015

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

PadreScout posted:

Yeah- Diamondback Explorer. I thought since it carries so much fuel and has a what? 35 LY max jump range it'd let me do my rare routes with fewer fuel stops, but in reality it just uses a shitton more gas and only seems to jump around 17 LY with cargo. My little hauler can do 24. Adds 4 or 5 freaking jumps to my route. I like the look of it, that's why I bought it, but drat man, it's not working out for me. Maybe I'll leave in the hangar until I can afford to really hop it up, that or just buy the loving Cobra. I got the drat Diamondback Explorer blues.

I have a little rare route I do when I get bored, 8 item run - 5 jumps, gets my about 200-240 grand per loop. I was wanting to supplement it with some factional gain murdering. Think a cobra would work out better for me? Basially I want to jump far and haul 8-14 cargo. Fighting ... dunno, never fought. I've litertally gone sidewinder>hauler>Explorer.

Out of curiosity you did get the diamondback explorer with A5 frameshift drive right? It's not the best, but my DBE is doing 32ly with shields and chaff launcher and other A grade equipment that weigh it down, and it's fairly fuel efficient as well.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

PadreScout posted:

That doesn't sound quite right. I'm guessing you need a better Frame Shift Drive.

16.91 LY laden with a 5D FSD
30.09 LY laden with a 5A FSD

...and about 5 million credits' difference between the two. You can also add about 3 LY per jump with each step up in FSD you buy.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Are you sure you mean the Diamondback Explorer?

Even with a cargo rack in every single compartment, it gets nearly 30LY laden range with an A rated hyperdrive. The reason it's not that good as a smuggler/rares trader is because it doesn't have the internal space to pack a fuel scoop, large cargo racks and/or shields at the same time. It's literally a class 5 hyperdrive with a crane cab stuck to it.

^^^what he said^^^

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

FronzelNeekburm posted:

That doesn't sound quite right. I'm guessing you need a better Frame Shift Drive.

16.91 LY laden with a 5D FSD
30.09 LY laden with a 5A FSD

...and about 5 million credits' difference between the two. You can also add about 3 LY per jump with each step up in FSD you buy.

After I sell cargo from this haul I'll check it. I probably did something stupid like put a 4 class FSD on it or ... god knows what. I'll look into exactly where I hosed up. Then again 5 mill is right out of my price range for now. It will be many a moon running my little circuit to make that cash. I'm what you call a "sub-optimal player"

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

:suicide:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I feel like I've jumped in feet first and broken my ankles in a lake that's only a few inches deep.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

SynthOrange posted:

I feel like I've jumped in feet first and broken my ankles in a lake that's only a few inches deep.
Well, people haven't been describing E:D as 'mile wide and an inch deep' since it launched for nothing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's really disappointing though. I feel like I've already seen everything there is to see. :\

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl4Xo6i4BiY

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

SynthOrange posted:

It's really disappointing though. I feel like I've already seen everything there is to see. :\

There really isn't a lot to do and see. There's no structure and no goals except those you make for yourself. If the flying of spaceships in combat or whatever doesn't interest you then...

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 19, 2015

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I don't know why people freak out over these all the time. They're stupid but they're no Hutton orbital. That's 15 minutes right there. There's plenty I can find to do with a break.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Met posted:

I don't know why people freak out over these all the time. They're stupid but they're no Hutton orbital. That's 15 minutes right there. There's plenty I can find to do with a break.

Personally I have a problem with the concept of having to take a break because you're gonna spend 15 minutes in the darkness with nothing to do.

I think supercruise is the weakest game mechanic in the game, far too slow

EDIT: A big part of the problem is just how incredibly low your acceleration is when you're within 2000Ls (yes, two thousand) of any stellar object, and your top speed in those conditions. You'll be approaching a secondary star at 15kLs and you're slowing down to the sub-hundreds of c.

Like, in some systems, like Cockaigne, where the RES is 2kLs from the station, it's faster to hyperjump the 10 light-year round trip since the station is closer to the star. I don't think a choice like this should ever be present in a video game, I'd just make supercruise a lot faster, by a factor of 5 or so.

EDIT 2: In my perfect version of the game, you'd have point-to-point mini jumps. Some goon suggested this, basically you'd jump into a system and land at the nav beacon. From there, you'd plot in-system jumps, with the option for supercruising if you don't want to be scanned by cops on the way out. The nav beacons create a perfect bottleneck if you want pvp, and it would remove most of the tedium in the game

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 19, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Supercruise autopilot.

Chrysophylax posted:

There really isn't a lot to do and see. There's no structure and no goals except those you make for yourself. If the flying of spaceships in combat or whatever doesn't interest you then...

I'd trade if there wasnt one type of trade run that blows everything else out of the water or if others were even remotely profitable.

I'd enjoy combat more if there were more than 1 type of viable gun.

I'd enjoy exploration more if supercruise wasnt dumb as hell.

I'd mine butHAHAHA NO MINING IS BORING AS gently caress.

I can see there could be a good game under there it's just buried under junk and poo poo.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 19, 2015

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

SynthOrange posted:

Supercruise autopilot.

I'd trade if there wasnt one type of trade run that blows everything else out of the water or if others were even remotely profitable.

I can see there could be a good game under there it's just buried under junk and poo poo.

Can I send you into other player groups as a plant?

KEEP YOU ON YOUR loving TOES THEN, WOULDN'T IT

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nah, I think I had my fun with it. If I paid full price I'd be salty as hell though. :v:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Railgun is a PVP monster. Worthless in PVE.

Unless you're an NPC In which case railguns will drop a Vulture shields in 1 hit

Citation: God dammit

Chrysophylax posted:

EDIT: A big part of the problem is just how incredibly low your acceleration is when you're within 2000Ls (yes, two thousand) of any stellar object, and your top speed in those conditions. You'll be approaching a secondary star at 15kLs and you're slowing down to the sub-hundreds of c.
And if you're close and going ~2C you are going so loving fast it's annoying to try to stay close yet not get "too close" and have emergency stop kick off. I've had it happen when I was nowhere near Too Close

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 19, 2015

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Major Isoor posted:

That's just toxic waste, isn't it? Biowaste in ED is described as being poo fertilizer in a can, pretty sure. (Unless I'm remembering wrong? Quite possible, as I don't normally like to haul those kinds of...goods in my cargo hold)

Eh, my bad. You are right. Lack of sleep talking.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

SynthOrange posted:

Supercruise autopilot.

I agree with you. It's impressive, really, how despite you being 100% right, this is still a very enjoyable game to me.

The major problem with this game is how schizophrenic :frontear: is. Their original, 1.0 release, was pretty much Elite 2: Frontier in 2014.

Elite 2 was a game where you *had* to trade. Your lightweight, long range, fast, Eagle mk.I had to haul to make money. Your fighters hauled, every ship hauled. Dedicated fighter ships were, in lore, intended to be police or fleet forces, and were pretty much jokes in the game - you couldn't make money with them.

Also in the lore is the meaning of the Elite rating - there was only combat, but mostly only traders and pirates had combat. In game, this was represented by you being intercepted by random pirates carrying 50-200cr of bounty, when your haul was worth several dozens of times that. This was also the state of Elite: Dangerous on release. Simply put, combat was never a viable profession.

In E:D, this was represented by the way certain guns work. You rightly point out that there's only one type of viable gun... today. It wasn't the case in the intended game vision, I don't think. Because you earned not even enough money to cover ammo or fuel, trading was what you did to support your shootmans time. Because you had major disincentives to shootmans, it didn't bother you if torpedoes came one per launcher, missiles 12 per launcher, literally 30 railgun bullets, or 100 cannon rounds. You weren't meant to have more than low intensity combat.

At some point, they realize players don't want the doesn't-even-rate-as-good-as-Euro-Truck-simulator trading borefest, and want actual combat. What you get is NPC whack-a-mole that actually pays, but since it requires more than 30 goddamn rail bullets, and more than 2 minutes, it obsoleted all ammo-requiring guns instantly. So far they haven't rebalanced this.

So I guess my point is they had a goal, and accomplished it, and are veeeeeeery slowly coming around to fixing what, to us, is obviously wrong. They clearly don't understand what a 2014/2015 gaming audience expects from games, even sperglord flight simulators.

Edit: That said, if you PVP, all those guns suddenly come back to life, and work really well.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 19, 2015

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

Strange new frontiers.

Driver issue?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

The disconnect between quality of lasers and quality of hard-rounds is part of the problem

Oh and also things like "cannon absolutely loving sucks because manual aim is a nightmare and gimbaled can't track for poo poo"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Chrysophylax posted:

I agree with you. It's impressive, really, how despite you being 100% right, this is still a very enjoyable game to me.

Yeah I got 50 hours playtime in this game somehow before I realized how bad the mechanics are. :downs:

On the plus side at least I didnt back Star Citizen. :v:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

The disconnect between quality of lasers and quality of hard-rounds is part of the problem

Oh and also things like "cannon absolutely loving sucks because manual aim is a nightmare and gimbaled can't track for poo poo"

Cannons work only if the ship you're attacking is very large, Asp and above. But to be fair, cannons are poo poo guns by design - they're the low power, low energy variants of the multicannons. High punch, low bullet velocity, easy to miss with.

IMO, lasers are good only because everything else is so goddamn unusable. They're, by and large, too energy hungry for the damage they do, even compared to stuff like railguns and multicannons. That is, you can't fire them for very long if you're not really attempting to balance your distributor settings - as soon as you get your rear end in an anaconda or python and you *don't* have 4 pips to WEP, you'll see just how little you can actually fire your 3 or 4 pulse lasers. Your mighty Anaconda becomes a paper tiger - indestructible, but incapable of dealing damage.

If you compare it to the cookie cutter FDL PVP build that is all multicannons and PAC, you can fire forever and a day with no pips to WEP. This allows you to keep 4 pips to SYS and 2 to ENG for extended periods, making you a far tougher opponent than you seem at first.

So I think there is some thought by :frontear: to the way the weapons work. It's *so close* to being balanced, if only you could have ammo modules, or literally multiply by 10-100 the ammo counts

Edit: changed a word, added others

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 19, 2015

PseudoFaux
Oct 9, 2012
Typing this as I jump intra-system.

So I made one Sothis run. Wasn't the best 14 million. But it bought me my asp and almost a full A class loadout. Now I can sit back and wander aimlessly in a random direction and wait until I run out of fuel because I forgot to refuel at the last scoopable star- gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

PS loving witchspace is broken again

Maybe this is how they are addressing Sothis, by making long runs absolutely awful

• Locked thread