Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I just hope there are no children. Bethesda is incapable of writing them, and they're annoying as hell. I understand why you can't kill them in game, but I've never met anyone who enjoyed having them around. Even in Hearthfire they were just an afterthought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Peztopiary posted:

I just hope there are no children. Bethesda is incapable of writing them, and they're annoying as hell. I understand why you can't kill them in game, but I've never met anyone who enjoyed having them around. Even in Hearthfire they were just an afterthought.

There will be children, and they will be whacky as hell.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Peztopiary posted:

Piper's sister

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Peztopiary posted:

Plan B mod day one

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

frajaq posted:

Piper's sister

If she actually kills bandits with that golf club she's cool enough to do dumb side quests for.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Children in their last 3 games weird me out. Because they use one model to convey multiple stages of development. So in little light you have kids that can barely comprehend maturation and growth as concepts, and in skyrim you have a kid actively summoning an assassin. But they look almost identical.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

What's completely loving insane about "HATE NEWSPAPERS" is that that's not a response any human being would ever have when someone tells you they write for a newspaper. Even "UGH, JOURNALISTS" makes more sense, and at least there's a direction you can head from there ("what's your beef with journalists?" "well when I was a war hero they wouldn't leave me alone" "you were a war hero? what war did you fight in?" "well..." and now we are developing characters). I'll concede we don't know what's behind those options (which is its own problem) but from the terrible previews they read like they were written by someone who has never had a conversation but was asked to synthesize one based on a YouTube Mass Effect Let's Play.

At least if the character weren't voiced I could know what my options are and imagine something resembling a sane line reading.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

At least if the character weren't voiced I could know what my options are and imagine something resembling a sane line reading.

Yeah doing PC VA really seems like the worst of both worlds-- you lock everyone into one specific voice, and the dialog itself gets less depth. Meanwhile at one end of the spectrum the roleplayers are going to pretend like the VA isn't there because their gay republican serial killer character doesn't sound like that and at the other end of the spectrum people blitzing through the plot to hoover every bit of loot and kill everything are just going to scan the captions for anything actionable and click through anything else.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Yup, hating people that gather information makes more sense than hating an organization that can purposefully misrepresent information.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Nasgate posted:

Yup, hating people that gather information makes more sense than hating an organization that can purposefully misrepresent information.

As a newspaper reporter I completely agree.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

frajaq posted:

Piper's sister

Holy poo poo, this kid looks whacky. What's she doing with all that junk? What's with the pilot's cap. Jesus Christ, I bet there's going to be some EPIC jokes about all of those things, in a little kid voice. Tiny Tina, but turned up to [haha] 11.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

crime fighting hog posted:

Plan B mod day one

Yeah, pretty much. I've just never met anyone who had good things to say about Bethesda children and I wish they'd stop.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Peztopiary posted:

Yeah, pretty much. I've just never met anyone who had good things to say about Bethesda children and I wish they'd stop.

It's been so long since I played Fallout 3 -I don't remember much about the missions/dialogue involving children other than the whiny voices grated on my nerves like a dentist drill.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Nasgate posted:

He doesn't know what newspaper she works for, though, which means that choosing that option doesn't mean he hates a particular organization, he hates the concept of newspapers. That's a totally fine and justifiable thing to do, but to bring it up arbitrarily a few lines into a conversation? That's some alien-masquerading-as-a-person poo poo

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

sector_corrector posted:

What's with the pilot's cap.

A lot of Fallout fashion choices can be explained with "well, Mad Max did it."

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

He doesn't know what newspaper she works for, though, which means that choosing that option doesn't mean he hates a particular organization, he hates the concept of newspapers. That's a totally fine and justifiable thing to do, but to bring it up arbitrarily a few lines into a conversation? That's some alien-masquerading-as-a-person poo poo

"Hello, I'm a Cannibal"

A:"Cannibal? What is that?"
B: "Not my business who you eat"
C: "HATE CANNIBAL"
D: "Support eating humans"

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

It's not really much different than someone saying they hate "the news", which people say all the time. It's an awkward way to phrase it but "ugh, I hate newspapers" is about the same as saying "ugh I hate the media" or "ugh I hate journalists" or "ugh I hate politics" or whatever other dumb low-information stuff people do actually say often.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's a secret side quest chain that you unlock by only picking the HATE X options in a conversation with a certain NPC.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It would be nice if the put more unflagged locations in the world for people who truly like exploring to stumble on but I doubt they'd put that much effort into things that few people would ever be likely to see.

All their games have at least a few of those. It varies from game to game, but you can expect to see some cool little set piece areas that they'll never really direct you towards that have something interesting about them. I doubt there will be a *ton* of them, but they'll be some.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Bethesda's also pretty good at telling tiny stories with the clutter they place in the world. Last time I was playing Fallout 3 I found a motorcycle and duffel-bag at the top of a cliff, containing a Chinese pistol and a suicide note leaving it to a little brother. There was a skeleton at the bottom of the cliff :smith:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

It's not really much different than someone saying they hate "the news", which people say all the time. It's an awkward way to phrase it but "ugh, I hate newspapers" is about the same as saying "ugh I hate the media" or "ugh I hate journalists" or "ugh I hate politics" or whatever other dumb low-information stuff people do actually say often.

Yeah, when you put it like that it's fair. I still don't think any native speaker would respond to "I work for a newspaper" with "I hate newspapers", though. Even "I hate the news" feels more right. I know I'm nitpicking but it's just funny that literally every new piece of media Bethesda releases (barring the SPECIAL shorts, which are not my style but well-made and cute, and "The Wanderer" trailer) makes the game look worse and worse

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Yes I'm actually a well respected archaeologist working on sites in the Levant with relation to biblical references and

HATE BETHESDA

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Yeah, when you put it like that it's fair. I still don't think any native speaker would respond to "I work for a newspaper" with "I hate newspapers", though. Even "I hate the news" feels more right. I know I'm nitpicking but it's just funny that literally every new piece of media Bethesda releases (barring the SPECIAL shorts, which are not my style but well-made and cute, and "The Wanderer" trailer) makes the game look worse and worse

I have seen native speakers launching into rants about how much they hate news media at the mere mention of it. It is rude and stupid but then again maybe that's what you want your character to be, rude and stupid. It's might lack a bit of subtly but it's a game not real life. Conversations in plays, books, comics, movies, media in general normally lack a bit of subtly you'd find in real life. Them's the breaks when you are trying to fit what would normally be a half an hour long chit chat into 60 seconds of dialogue. I think you are being a bit melodramatic.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Yeah, when you put it like that it's fair. I still don't think any native speaker would respond to "I work for a newspaper" with "I hate newspapers", though.

I'm going to assume you haven't been to the American Midwest or south, or mountain region.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Selecting the HATE NEWSPAPERS option causes the player character to go into a two-hour rant about how all the media is just a joke, man, and how you gotta learn for yourself, man, and how both parties are the same and that's why he voted for Ralph Nader in 2000 and doesn't regret it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

frajaq posted:

And then the doors of Diamond City are closed to the player forever

Is that what Piper calls her vag?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Lotish posted:

poo poo, I'd call mine that if I had one

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
So are we implying that Piper is loose because her vag resembles a baseball stadium now? Is that why she wants to see you in her office later with a sultry flutter?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Funky Valentine posted:

A lot of Fallout fashion choices can be explained with "well, Mad Max did it."

Oh, thanks for the info. You definitely don't seem like an idiot.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
HATE NEWSPAPERS will now have Jx Fallout quote entirety of Colorado Senator Armstrong's presidential speech :20bux:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

crime fighting hog posted:

It's been so long since I played Fallout 3 -I don't remember much about the missions/dialogue involving children other than the whiny voices grated on my nerves like a dentist drill.

Two words: Little Lamplight.

Other than that, the kids weren't really all that bad. A bit grating in the cities if you talked to them to find out about the place, but those were at least optional. And FO3 at least had a separate model, or at least NPC size, for adolescents. Comparing the voices to a dentist drill was about right. The kids were either high pitched whine, or a slow and dopey "mommy just gave me a shot of rad-roach hootch to make me shut up".

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Lotish posted:

Diamond City Dugout

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Lotish posted:

Scorpion Gulch.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Delsaber posted:

Scorpion Gulch.

Cottonwood Cove?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

GuyUpNorth posted:

HATE NEWSPAPERS will now have Jx Fallout quote entirety of Colorado Senator Armstrong's presidential speech :20bux:

I will get into modding for FO4 just to replace every line Jx Fallout does with Armstrong Quotes.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.

Seashell Salesman posted:

Cottonwood Cove?

Hidden Valley

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The Glow

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

North Cistern :smith:

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Red Rock Canyon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Caesar was knee deep in a stream washing vegetables. Coming up to him, John Fallout said, “My good Caesar, if you knew how to pay court to kings, you wouldn’t have to wash vegetables.”
“And,” replied Caesar, “If you knew how to wash vegetables, you wouldn’t have to pay court to kings.”

• Locked thread