Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SKY COQ posted:

It's just occurred to me how massively loving stupid it it to invest money into the companion affection system when it will get changed tomorrow or the next day when 4.0 hits. Apparently a media embargo on the new companion stuff lifts then too.

What? Like, all companion stuff is set to 0? I have a fuckload of lvl 5 gifts I expect to sell for insane prices as everyone tries to level companion affection before they start the KotFE stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

From what I understood from the explanation in guildchat, the old system remains until you finish the SoR content, and then something new happens once you begin doing KOTFE stuff... is that not correct?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Drone posted:

From what I understood from the explanation in guildchat, the old system remains until you finish the SoR content, and then something new happens once you begin doing KOTFE stuff... is that not correct?

Yeah, and it's supposedly linked to how much you use them and then some companions are linked to others or something. Maybe the Influence levels will affect who will show up in cutscenes of the side missions you get? No one loving knows.

If you're an oldie coming back to this game, or a new player, use a referral code to get free game time and free poo poo, and also give a goon some money. You can still claim a referral even after you've come back and logged in and crap, so it's always worth it to try clicking referrals:

http://www.swtor.com/r/TkMbdV

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Drone posted:

As far as I can tell so far it was "Well, better make sure you maxed companion affection before starting KOTFE, because after that their entire usefulness is based on that one stat which can no longer be improved"

Either way, I figured tons of people who don't have maxed affection will now be buying gifts on GTN at insanely inflated prices so they can start KOTFE asap and not worry about having useless companions.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

pentyne posted:

What? Like, all companion stuff is set to 0? I have a fuckload of lvl 5 gifts I expect to sell for insane prices as everyone tries to level companion affection before they start the KotFE stuff.

No, preexisting companion affection converts straight to influence. You're getting several new companions so the gift market should explode.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

pentyne posted:

As far as I can tell so far it was "Well, better make sure you maxed companion affection before starting KOTFE, because after that their entire usefulness is based on that one stat which can no longer be improved"

Either way, I figured tons of people who don't have maxed affection will now be buying gifts on GTN at insanely inflated prices so they can start KOTFE asap and not worry about having useless companions.

Using a system that can no longer be influenced doesn't make any sense, especially considering we'll be getting new companions or what the gently caress would a new player do? But I mean Bioware's done weirder things so who knows.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

They have to release detailed patch notes today right. You can't just release the 4.0 notes on the day the patch goes live.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
I'm just pissed off because I spent like 100,000 credits this afternoon and ran through all of the conversations for which I was eligible and T7 is only on around 8,500 affection. loving come on, how is this an entertaining system?

Really hoping (against hope, I know) that Bioware's plan around this allows for people like me who've come back to the game recently for 12xp and can't afford to buy the love of their droids.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Attachment leads to the Dark Side. Learn to let go.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Does gearing up my guy ever get more interesting than visiting the fleet every few levels to buy slightly-better blue mods with commendations?

Where can I get a lightsaber that I can mod that isn't ugly as sin?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SKY COQ posted:

I'm just pissed off because I spent like 100,000 credits this afternoon and ran through all of the conversations for which I was eligible and T7 is only on around 8,500 affection. loving come on, how is this an entertaining system?
It's pretty poo poo, yes. If you use a companion exclusively while leveling with 12x XP and pick every possible +affection dialogue choice you'll probably get them to 10,000 without using gifts... but only that one companion. If you get everyone to 6000 from fleet vendor gifts as soon as you acquire them and rotate companions when the one you're using hits 10k you might be able to manage two or three, but the rest will be sitting at 6500-7000 and you'll still need to shovel a shitload of gifts into them. It's very much balanced around running every sidequest for affection, it's really really dumb, and it's a good thing it's changing shortly. Well, hopefully a good thing. We don't know how it works yet. :downs:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
So I spent the weekend playing a sniper (because I wanted to see the storyline again, and originally did it as an operative) while trying to max out dark side points (because I almost never choose DS anything for any character). Even with diplomacy I haven't yet hit Dark IV, but I still feel a little sick. I don't know how people do this. :(

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Empress Theonora posted:

Are transfers by character or by legacy? It might be cool to hang out with goons for the expansion but all my poo poo is on Ebon Hawk.

For what it's worth, I'm on Ebon Hawk, along with a small group of friends. We've mostly focused on leveling a buttload of alts leading up to the expansion and haven't been doing much else, but we might try to join up with a bigger guild at some point and expand our options.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

prefect posted:

I don't know how people do this. :(
It's much easier as a Sith Inquisitor, where you get to cackle maniacally while torturing puppies with mind lightning.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

prefect posted:

I don't know how people do this. :(

Oof. Its because you picked the story that has bad choices as actual acts of evil, not cartoonish mustache twirling "I'm going to eat this baby, Khem, get my space camera!" evil.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Asimo posted:

It's much easier as a Sith Inquisitor, where you get to cackle maniacally while torturing puppies with mind lightning.

This.

Most of my designated DS characters (Inquisitor and Warrior) have large amounts of Light side points to go along with them, mostly because my characters tend to reserve their DSness for assholes, and are quite nice to civilians, their companions, and at the bare minimum people on their side.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Asimo posted:

I've already done a lightning sorcerer; will it still involve sufficient evil if I do it as an assassin instead?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

prefect posted:

I've already done a lightning sorcerer; will it still involve sufficient evil if I do it as an assassin instead?

It's the same story as they are both using the Inquisitor base story so yes.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hulk Smash! posted:

It's the same story as they are both using the Inquisitor base story so yes.

Yeah, that makes sense. The sniper uses a blaster pistol during cinematic scenes, even though he doesn't have one; it makes sense that all the evil lightning you need would be available to the assassin, even if it doesn't match an actual power. :tipshat:

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Hulk Smash! posted:

:siren:With KOTFE launching next week, I'm running a contest:siren:

The Prize: An unlock token for the Togruta species! A 600cc or ~$1.3 million (on the GTN currently) value! Note that this unlock is account-wide!

The Rules:

1. Send an in-game mail to Xodiac with your SA name in it from the character you wish to enter into the contest.
2. Character must be a current member in good standing of TNG. By good standing, I mean you at least have the comment section on your character filled with your SA name*
3. Post a picture of a character (Imp or repub) in this thread showcasing your best outfit.
4. I'm going on the honor system here but please do not enter the contest if you already have this unlock. I'm not looking for people who will simply resell the token on the GTN. Sorry people who already have it :(
5. Only one entry per person.

I'll be choosing a winner at random on or near the 20th and mailing the token to them then.

Good luck!

*FYI if you don't have this, ask anyone with the rank of Major or above to fill it in the guild page next to your name. If you're a Major, you can do it yourself. Those that don't have this entry filled have a greater chance to be guild kicked by Medullah on one of his drunken rampages :eng101:

Last day for this. Any in-game mails received after 11:59PM EST today will not be counted. I'll do the draw at some point tomorrow after server reset - likely in the afternoon.

Beeme posted:

Oh man, what armor is this? All of it. I just might copy it, if it isn't ridiculously expensive.

Dark Reaver Stalker Robe from the elite comms PVP vendor
Force perception Headgear - crafted
Alliance Force Healer GLoves - from the Yavin storyline
Able Hunter Belt - cartel packs
Exar Kun's Greaves and Boots - cartel packs

Alter Ego posted:

You're the guy I stole MY Sage's look from--I was wondering who it was. Anyway, dude, I wouldn't have copied it if it didn't kick all kinds of rear end.
:hfive: I kinda wanted a look reminiscent of Obi-Wan's armored look from the Clone Wars cartoon.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hulk Smash! posted:

:hfive: I kinda wanted a look reminiscent of Obi-Wan's armored look from the Clone Wars cartoon.

That's a good look, but most Jedi robes have the belt going around the robe, so it looks like you're wearing half a skirt, instead of something more cape-like.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Just realized that because I only re-subbed two weeks ago, I won’t get into Early Access.

[Shocks self]

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Just realized that because I only re-subbed two weeks ago, I won’t get into Early Access.

[Shocks self]

Eh. All you're really missing out on is Alpha Beta testing the expansion, if the launch of Shadow of Revan is anything to go by.

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

Hulk Smash! posted:

Eh. All you're really missing out on is Alpha Beta testing the expansion, if the launch of Shadow of Revan is anything to go by.

"Hooray, well done for getting to level 60, now you get to spend 1.5m on new skills!"

Early access ends...

"We're removing all credit costs for skills. no refunds for suckers who already paid for them in early access!"

I'm still a little bitter about that.

mikesaysno
Dec 16, 2007

Does anyone know how long it normally takes them to respond to a ticket? I came back a month or so ago and bought that Amazon bundle. My account is flagged as a subscriber but when I hit 50 over the weekend and tried to fly to Makeb it said I needed to buy Rise of the Hutt Cartel. I'm not really in any hurry so I just rolled a new character, it's just annoying.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

mikesaysno posted:

Does anyone know how long it normally takes them to respond to a ticket? I came back a month or so ago and bought that Amazon bundle. My account is flagged as a subscriber but when I hit 50 over the weekend and tried to fly to Makeb it said I needed to buy Rise of the Hutt Cartel. I'm not really in any hurry so I just rolled a new character, it's just annoying.

I got a next-day response after asking them to undelete a character I had deleted three years ago.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Ready for tomorrow

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rouncer posted:

Ready for tomorrow

A. I envy you.

B. Hey, you're one short! No love for Skadge? (He is the worst.)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
When do the servers go down, I might as well just blow a milli leveling all of my character's affection points

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

prefect posted:

A. I envy you.

B. Hey, you're one short! No love for Skadge? (He is the worst.)

gently caress Skadge

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Skadge was the first companion (and almost barely only, damnit Gault) where I realised you could go into negative affection.

I also realised you can rocket boots whilst stealthed, go figure.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Dexo posted:

When do the servers go down, I might as well just blow a milli leveling all of my character's affection points

From 5:30AM EST to 11AM EST tomorrow is the planned downtime but I wouldn't be surprised if it went over.

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

Dexo posted:

• CET: October 20, 2015 11:30 am Until October 20, 2015 05:00 pm
  • GMT, UTC: October 20, 2015 09:30 am until October 20, 2015 03:00 pm
  • Eastern Time: October 20, 2015 05:30 am until October 20, 2015 11:00 am
  • Central Time: October 20, 2015 04:30 am until October 20, 2015 10:00 am
  • Mountain Time: October 20, 2015 03:30 am until October 20, 2015 09:00 am
  • Pacific Time: October 20, 2015 02:30 am until October 20, 2015 08:00 am

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Info from the forums about what crafting stuff is getting converted into what: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8517285#edit8517285

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Nipponophile posted:

Info from the forums about what crafting stuff is getting converted into what: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8517285#edit8517285

Hell yes, time to go buy a few more stacks of Alien Data Cubes.

Glad the reusable stuff is being converted, I sold a bunch of the lower level stuff over the last few weeks at fire sale prices though. :(

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Nipponophile posted:

Sucks that the reusables are now the 4hr one-shot versions :/

This is cool though. Will make some space in the vaults:

quote:

Self-Perpetuating Power Cell <3:1> Exotic Isotope Stabilizer
Rakata Energy Node <3:1> Exotic Isotope Stabilizer
Synthetic Energy Matrix <2:1> Exotic Isotope Stabilizer
Mass Manipulation Generator <2:1> Exotic Isotope Stabilizer
Universal Catalyst <1:1> Exotic Isotope Stabilizer
Matter Transubstantiator <1:1> Exotic Isotope Stabilizer
Biometric Crystal Alloy <3:1> Exotic Isotope Stabilizer
Alien Data Cube <3:1> Exotic Isotope Stabilizer
Molecular Stabilizer <2:1> Exotic Isotope Stabilizer
Exotic Element Equalizer <3:1> Exotic Isotope Stabilizer
Exonium <2:1> Exotic Isotope Stabilizer
Vial of Stabilized Isotope-5 <3:1> Exotic Isotope Stabilizer

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

Sucks that the reusables are now the 4hr one-shot versions :/

This is cool though. Will make some space in the vaults:

Without spending any of my jawa junk I'll have 490 of the new Exotic Isotope Stabilizers tomorrow heh.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Also the magenta crystals are going away? That's intriguing.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

So if I have about 30 jawa junk and a billion of the other scrap items, should I convert them into something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Is there any tricks for patch day tomorrow? Like, if I just leave the launcher running the night before will it start patching automatically so its done by the time I get home from work?

• Locked thread