Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

david_a posted:

Ah, so they're going to make a cheaper movie intentionally made for international audiences like the last Die Hard movie.

Didn't international audience not like it much either? I mean I get it did well on opening in Chna, but didn't it drop off massively compared to films with similar strong openings, like the last transformers?

They're not likely to lure people back in after this disappointment. At least I hope not.

Also, it's just plain unfair that TSCC ended on a cliffhanger (due in part to the failures of Salvation) while Genisys gets another sequel shat out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also, it's just plain unfair that TSCC ended on a cliffhanger (due in part to the failures of Salvation) while Genisys gets another sequel shat out.

Surely the invisible hand of the free market objectively proves genisys is better than salvation and tscc????

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Going by the clips in here TSCC was loving terrible.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

broken clock opsec posted:

Well considering the only one that comes to mind that showed up in the thread is the 9/11 one, I can understand your skepticism, but you're only getting a very partial understanding of the series. It's the first time since Terminator 2 when anyone actually tried doing something new with the franchise, as opposed to reheated stuff from earlier films. If nothing else, it's better than the last three movies.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sir Kodiak posted:

The Arnie-is-good twist in Terminator 2 is one of those things that I have to wonder how many people actually experienced as a twist. It was revealed in the contemporary trailers, described on the back of the VHS and DVD boxes, and seems to be a part of modern pop-culture knowledge of the movie.
It's funny because literally every Terminator movie except T3 has had its "twist" spoiled in the trailers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It was very bad. If you want a tv series about 80s cyborgs you should instead watch the mid-90s Robocop series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqHRHe7DyUQ

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Man, I don't understand why so many people hate the series. When I look at it, I see a whole bunch of great ideas that were largely executed very well. Am I missing something? :(

In non-TSCC news, here's a pretty good review of the original film.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Xenomrph posted:

It's funny because literally every Terminator movie except T3 has had its "twist" spoiled in the trailers.

Terminator III owns and anyone who says otherwise is simply lying to themselves. :colbert:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yvonmukluk posted:

Man, I don't understand why so many people hate the series. When I look at it, I see a whole bunch of great ideas that were largely executed very well. Am I missing something? :(

In non-TSCC news, here's a pretty good review of the original film.

You mean RoboCop the Series?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Immortan posted:

Terminator III owns and anyone who says otherwise is simply lying to themselves. :colbert:
I like T3.

I may be mildly biased because I was the moderator of the official Terminator3.com forums (no, seriously) and the studio hooked me up with a bunch of random swag.

They sent me these enormous vinyl marquees that are meant to be hung from the ceiling of a movie theatre lobby. These things are like 30 feet tall, I have no practical use for them.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

T3 had some good jokes in it and feels like a comedy that Hollywood realised they should probably edit to be 'real'.

The movie should have been called Terminator 3, People 0

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

T3 isn't god awful, it's just...there. It exists and is a thing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well considering the only one that comes to mind that showed up in the thread is the 9/11 one, I can understand your skepticism, but you're only getting a very partial understanding of the series. It's the first time since Terminator 2 when anyone actually tried doing something new with the franchise, as opposed to reheated stuff from earlier films. If nothing else, it's better than the last three movies.

No I also saw that one where some T-1000 was dual-swording some dudes in a warehouse. That looked like poo poo as well.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You should watch an episode. Out of context scenes doesn't do anyone any favors. Lena Heady is loving great.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
TSCC was great because it expanded upon concepts that were in T1 and T2. Terminator as Enemy, Terminator as Friend, and then in TSCC, Terminator as Family. T3 didn't know where it was taking the Terminator character and Salvation had, like, Terminator as Some Guy. Genisys stole a lot from the series.

TSCC's major flaw was its pacing issues. Season 1 was insanely fast and nothing had time to breathe, most of the episodes could have benefited from being split in two. Season 2 was insanely slow and several subplots didn't need be nearly so long (and it actually had a 'it was all a dream' episode which was absurdly terrible).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

No I also saw that one where some T-1000 was dual-swording some dudes in a warehouse. That looked like poo poo as well.
tbf that's 2008 CGI on a TV budget. And it's also kind of missing context.

Milky Moor posted:

TSCC was great because it expanded upon concepts that were in T1 and T2. Terminator as Enemy, Terminator as Friend, and then in TSCC, Terminator as Family. T3 didn't know where it was taking the Terminator character and Salvation had, like, Terminator as Some Guy. Genisys stole a lot from the series.

TSCC's major flaw was its pacing issues. Season 1 was insanely fast and nothing had time to breathe, most of the episodes could have benefited from being split in two. Season 2 was insanely slow and several subplots didn't need be nearly so long (and it actually had a 'it was all a dream' episode which was absurdly terrible).

To be fair, the writer's strike kind of screwed up the production schedule. Although it did mean the season 1 finale was a lot stronger, dramatically.

Yeah, that was a bit of an error on the production team's part. I've kind of been dragging my feet on rewatching the show - I'm about to start on that block of episodes. Which is a shame, because pretty much all the ones after it are fantastic.

Also they actually examined John Connor as being a guy who doesn't want to be the leader of all mankind. i mean it's like Sarah said in the first movie - he never asked for this honour, he got saddled with it from the moment of conception-he just wants to be a normal kid. But when the chips are down you can see the beginnings of the man Skynet would try to kill before he's even born because nothing else has worked. just like you got to see that underlying strength from Sarah shine through in the first movie.

Edit: Didn't some goon try and do a rewatch of the series in TV IV? What happened to it? I don't think it got to the end of the series, but it was pretty good.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 7, 2015

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah, that was me doing the rewatch. IRL just nailed me for a bit and I forgot about it - but I might start it up again because there's a lot to talk about in the series.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
I recently re-watched TSCC and loved it. Every member of the cast - both main characters and supporting cast - were all excellent, in terms of both acting and writing.

Though the "all a dream" episode was terrible, I felt like I'd just wasted 45 minutes of my life, but the following 6 episodes were all excellent so the series immediately redeemed itself.

Out of 31 episodes, 2 were mediocre and one was really bad. The rest were good, really good or brilliant.

Also the ending didn't feel like a cliffhanger, I felt pretty satisfied with it as a conclusion.

(And they tied up all the hanging plot threads, so although there might be some people that wonder "so what was meant to happen next?" at least there aren't a bunch of unsolved mysteries.)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah, that was me doing the rewatch. IRL just nailed me for a bit and I forgot about it - but I might start it up again because there's a lot to talk about in the series.
Oh, neat!

your evil twin posted:

I recently re-watched TSCC and loved it. Every member of the cast - both main characters and supporting cast - were all excellent, in terms of both acting and writing.

Though the "all a dream" episode was terrible, I felt like I'd just wasted 45 minutes of my life, but the following 6 episodes were all excellent so the series immediately redeemed itself.

Out of 31 episodes, 2 were mediocre and one was really bad. The rest were good, really good or brilliant.

Also the ending didn't feel like a cliffhanger, I felt pretty satisfied with it as a conclusion.

(And they tied up all the hanging plot threads, so although there might be some people that wonder "so what was meant to happen next?" at least there aren't a bunch of unsolved mysteries.)
Scuttlebutt on the net is that they've made a few tries at making a TV movie, but the various rights holders have refused up to this point. Which is a drat shame, because everything I've read is that most of the cast and crew would happily come back if it ever happened.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
T3 was good, it felt like kind of a let-down after T1 and T2 but it was kinda cursed to be. The Terminator movies were already a while back, had almost mythical meaning for fans and were ingrained in popular culture, those were incredibly hard odds to beat. Alright, it wasn't a *great* movie and certainly not groundbreaking, but it also didn't deserve the reaction it got from people when it came out. The expectations were just too high. I think with time it's seen more favourable and it's certainly not the abyss of suckiness that salvation was, which will probably be the worst terminator forever, even including genisys.

I know I'm late to the party but I recently watched genesysisyis, and man I went in knowing very little about the movie and even wanting to like it, because - hey! A terminator movie with Arnie who would've thought that'll ever happen again - but I just can't like it. It's impossible. It's just bad. I even want to be very very favourable and say it had it's moments but man, in general I can just say I don't know what that movie was. I guess there there were lots of terminators in it! Regarding the plot - I guess, well, you could say there was an attempt. In one of the more quiet scenes I basically missed the dialogue because the camera was shaking around like the cameraman was furiously masturbating while filming and it was just that distracting. These are my experiences with Genisys. It was kinda sad to see this a few days after I've seen that making-of of T2 for the first time. I think there was more love and thought put into five minutes of T2 than the entire length of Genisys.

TSCC will probably always remain the best and also most faithful continuation of the first two movies that'll ever exist. It's a pity that show didn't get a better chance and really had killer pacing problems. I have absolutely no hope anymore that there will ever be anything good coming out of this franchise.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
TSCC and Genisys are things so obscenely retarded, they kind of wrap around themselves and become interesting enough to watch.

I remember the first episode of TSCC had conveniently placed office chairs lined with kevlar which conveniently blocked gunshots, and then there was a McGuyvered radiation lightning gun along with a vault containing a time machine. Much later on creepy terminator comes across the guy who invents the skin coating technology and kills him, and T-1000 business lady morphs out of a urinal.

Genisys at least had that scene luring the T-1000 into some tunnels with the roof covered with barrels of extremely deadly melty acid, that was cool.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Super Slash posted:

TSCC and Genisys are things so obscenely retarded, they kind of wrap around themselves and become interesting enough to watch.

I remember the first episode of TSCC had conveniently placed office chairs lined with kevlar which conveniently blocked gunshots, and then there was a McGuyvered radiation lightning gun along with a vault containing a time machine. Much later on creepy terminator comes across the guy who invents the skin coating technology and kills him, and T-1000 business lady morphs out of a urinal.

Genisys at least had that scene luring the T-1000 into some tunnels with the roof covered with barrels of extremely deadly melty acid, that was cool.

They actually explained a whole bunch of that stuff in TSCC.

1) The Kevlar lined chair (and it wasn't 'a bunch of office chairs') was Sarah Connor's. You know, the woman who is a poster child for paranoia? Not to mention the chair was lined up perfectly by the shotgun hidden in the wall. It's not like it was blocking assault rifle fire, it only stopped a few pistol rounds.

2)The vault TDE/plasma rifle was explained as having been built by an engineer the resistance sent back specifically for use by other resistance fighters. I figure it's a drat sight more believable than Pops' one made from garbage.

3) That wasn't the guy who invents skin coating - for all we know Skynet invented the technology. He was just someone with the expertise to make the coating (the terminator in question wrote the equation on his wall and later covered it in blood to stop anyone else reading it). He was looking to cover his endoskeleton after his old skin burned off. It's not like he just murdered him out of the blue-either he saw him as an endoskeleton and he needed eyes to cover up his optics.

I mean there's a bunch of goofy stuff in the show but at least most of the time they actually made effort to explain it.

Now if you want to talk about retarded stuff in TSCC, you want the Three Dots plotline. I mean, they get points for taking Sarah back to her crazy roots from T2, but I'm fairly certain that chunk of episodes right in the middle of season 2 about it killed the show by tanking the ratings, especially as the last 6 episodes that followed it were some of the strongest the show ever did (but weren't able to undo the damage). Then again, Salvation being a turd probably didn't help convince anyone that renewing the show would be a good idea.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The Three Dots plotline is a potent reminder of the MYSTERY PLOTS that encapsulated shows of that era - Heroes, Lost, the last few seasons of Battlestar... All of them weakened by it and I don't think one of them was resolved in an interesting way.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Yeah, I've no idea how any of "Super Slash"'s points were things that were "obscenely retarded".

The kevlar sofa was clever. A terminator attacks the house so Sarah hides behind a sofa and pulls out a shotgun. Two minutes later the cops at the crime scene are all WTF when they realise that Sarah Connor had lined her sofa with kevlar. Was totally consistent with what we saw of her in T2, her years of being prepared for attack at any time.

The bank vault time machine was necessary for the premise of the TV series to work. They couldn't have made the show a "period piece" and set it in the 90s - as well as being unnecessarily awkward and complicated to ensure nothing modern was ever shown on screen, it also wouldn't make sense for someone else to develop Skynet within a year or two of Cyberdyne being blown up in T2. You needed a gap of a decade to make it believable someone could develop Skynet without reverse engineering terminator chips from the future.

Sarah is pissed off at jumping into the future as it means that they only have a couple of years to stop Judgement Day rather than a decade... until she is told that in the original timeline she died of cancer (Terminator 3) and so she was not around to help John and prevent Judgement Day.

And yeah the guy that makes the endoskeleton skin wasn't supposed to be the guy who invented it - it's a random biochemist that a terminator found and gave instructions to so that it would have flesh again. When done, it then killed him and erased the equations to ensure that the future wasn't changed.

The T-1000 urinal thing was admittedly weird. I'm pretty sure they did it for "oh poo poo" value - a guy goes to the men's room, criticises his female boss and calls her a bitch, then is horrified when the urinal turns into his boss and stabs him. Could have had her simply become the floor, though, rather than weirdness of being a urinal.

The three dots thing did have the potential to be interesting - a dying guy from the future writes useful names and places on the wall and also three dots, so Sarah starts obsessing over 3 dots and looking for them everywhere. Both John and Derek repeatedly tell her that she's obsessing over something that might be meaningless, it's too common a symbol to be useful.

Sarah going crazy did indeed lead to 3 rubbish episodes in the middle of the second season, though.

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 19, 2015

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

your evil twin posted:

Yeah, I've no idea how any of "Super Slash"'s points were things that were "obscenely retarded".

The explanations for the dumb things are as dumb as the things

hth

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
It's about time traveling robots, it's all dumb.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The explanations for the dumb things are as dumb as the things

hth

Erm, nope, the things themselves were not dumb and the explanations were not dumb either.

Sarah Connor was the target of killer robots and also a fugitive due to domestic terrorism. She knew that on any given day there was a chance that killer robots or a SWAT team might burst through her door and start shooting.

Therefore it was a very sensible precaution to put kevlar into her sofas and arm chairs, turning her ordinary household furniture into bullet-proof barricades. It saved her life, because a terminator wrongly assumed it could shoot her through a sofa.

The only thing that could possibly be dumb about any of that is the original premise of killer robots, and if you have a problem with that then why are you watching anything to do with Terminator in the first place.

Also Super Slash incorrectly wrongly thought that a Terminator killed the inventor of artificial terminator skin and blood. Of course that would be dumb, since it would screw up the future for Skynet and make cyborg terminators impossible. However that was just Super Slash not paying attention to the episode; he was just a smart scientist who could follow instructions, who was killed once he had outlived his usefulness, and the terminator actually made a point of protecting Skynet's future by erasing the chemical equations.

The only dumb thing was the T-1000 urinal, though personally I'd put that under "weird" rather than dumb, though I understand others disagreeing. It needed to turn into something in the men's room, and while it could have morphed into the floor I guess there's no disadvantage to being a urinal it robots don't care about getting peed on. (And we've already seen a T-1000 become the floor, so that wouldn't have been very interesting, it would have just been a repeat on an effect from T2.)

That's one maybe dumb thing out of a list of supposedly several.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

It's about time traveling robots, it's all dumb.

Exactly. If you're happy to accept that core concept, I don't see how a time machine in a bank vault or a guerilla fighter reinforcing her sofas are in any way dumber. Time machines are already a thing in the franchise, and Sarah has reason to expect robots to shoot up her home.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

your evil twin posted:

Erm, nope, the things themselves were not dumb and the explanations were not dumb either.

Sarah Connor was the target of killer robots and also a fugitive due to domestic terrorism. She knew that on any given day there was a chance that killer robots or a SWAT team might burst through her door and start shooting.

Therefore it was a very sensible precaution to put kevlar into her sofas and arm chairs, turning her ordinary household furniture into bullet-proof barricades. It saved her life, because a terminator wrongly assumed it could shoot her through a sofa.

The only thing that could possibly be dumb about any of that is the original premise of killer robots, and if you have a problem with that then why are you watching anything to do with Terminator in the first place.

It's dumb because turning your home into a tank is a dumb precaution against Terminators. The best precaution against Terminators is Not Being There When They Find You.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

It's dumb because turning your home into a tank is a dumb precaution against Terminators. The best precaution against Terminators is Not Being There When They Find You.

It's a good thing that Sarah would always know when a Terminator is dropped into the past then... ...wait.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

Sometimes that's unavoidable I guess. Also, TSCC taught us that terminators always use the front door, so just booby trap that.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

To be fair, they also established if you get caught alone and totally unawares at close range by a Terminator without backup, you die, pure and simple.

I actually just finished rewatching the series (I was kind of dragging my feet for a bit because I'd gotten to the Three Dots episodes). It's still pretty good.

Milky Moor, are you planning on continuing your rewatch thread? Because I am so there if you are.

Parachute posted:

Sometimes that's unavoidable I guess. Also, TSCC taught us that terminators always use the front door, so just booby trap that.

And, as seen in the pilot, the bulletproof chair/wall shotgun were well-positioned facing the front door. Plus, as seen in the movies, a shotgun can stagger a terminator for a long enough period to get away, it seems like a good idea. I'm sure it wouldn't have stopped SMG/rifle rounds, but near as I can tell Terminators tend to escalate their response as the mission continues. They try and stick to sidearms (presumably since they're both easy to conceal and draw less legal attention then somebody running around with an assault rifle or uzi would), only breaking out the bigger guns if the target proves particularly difficult to acquire/they have some kind of protection. So, since any Terminator just showing up on their doorstep is still at the 'minimise attention' stage, they'll likely only only be using a pistol, since if it was hunting them otherwise, then they wouldn't be at home (since it likely acquired them elsewhere, like Cromartie did at the school). So, pistol-carrying terminator comes through front door>Sarah/John take cover behind chair and retrieve shotgun>give it a few blasts to put them down>use opportunity to get out of the house and run like hell. So yes, the best defence if a Terminator's on your doorstep is not being there, but considering how their methodology usually works, Sarah's setup is the next best thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The only explanation for people who insist TSCC was a good show that makes sense to me is that the only thing they cared about in Terminator and Terminator 2 was the lore. Not the acting, themes, characters, visuals, effects, just the lore. And TSCC had tons of lore.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You're wrong. But okay.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The worst part of TSCC was that weird subplot where somebody was painting weird doors and it was supposed to be about abuse or something?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

CelticPredator posted:

You're wrong. But okay.

The worst thing about TSCC was that we never got a third season to see what kind of :catdrugs: was going to result from that cliffhanger.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Actually for anyone interested about the show, you can judge for yourself for the low price of free! (US Only, though).

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

your evil twin posted:

The T-1000 urinal thing was admittedly weird. I'm pretty sure they did it for "oh poo poo" value - a guy goes to the men's room, criticises his female boss and calls her a bitch, then is horrified when the urinal turns into his boss and stabs him. Could have had her simply become the floor, though, rather than weirdness of being a urinal.

I sort of think the much better move would have been flipping it around where while he's turned around and going to the urinal she morphs out of the mirror (it's already metallic/reflective like a T-1000) and the real mirror was underneath. Seems like it could have been a neat effects shot at least with a lot of reflections going on between the mirror and the T-1001.

But I almost think they really didn't know what they were wanting to do with her early in the season because she seems SO much more like an antagonist than a potential ally. I get it might have been a diversion or something, but there seemed to be a point in the second season where she seems to become less 'evil'-feeling.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

The worst part of TSCC was that weird subplot where somebody was painting weird doors and it was supposed to be about abuse or something?
Yeah, that was one of the high-school subplots that got dropped like a hot potato. Near as I could tell, suicide girl and the guidance counselor had been having a relationship, which the graffiti artist found out about and was clearly hinting at for blackmail purposes (or just to be a dick). I think the original plan was that whoever it was would then try and blackmail Cheri and John would track 'em down.

This was all somehow supposed to tie into the Skynet plot...somehow. Thankfully the writers' strike intervened, although it did cost us Cameron at the Prom.

WarLocke posted:

The worst thing about TSCC was that we never got a third season to see what kind of :catdrugs: was going to result from that cliffhanger.
My guess: there would have been :roboluv:

JediTalentAgent posted:

I sort of think the much better move would have been flipping it around where while he's turned around and going to the urinal she morphs out of the mirror (it's already metallic/reflective like a T-1000) and the real mirror was underneath. Seems like it could have been a neat effects shot at least with a lot of reflections going on between the mirror and the T-1001.

But I almost think they really didn't know what they were wanting to do with her early in the season because she seems SO much more like an antagonist than a potential ally. I get it might have been a diversion or something, but there seemed to be a point in the second season where she seems to become less 'evil'-feeling.

It was quite clearly a diversion - after all, whoever heard of a 'good' T-1000? Besides, as we saw with Uncle Bob and Cameron, even 'good' Terminators are perfectly willing to pile up the bodies unless instructed otherwise by someone in authority. And Weaver was very much out for herself/John Henry. The most moral behaviour we see from her is raising Savannah, and that seems mostly for the benefit of her cover. Other than that, we were kind of supposed to think she was building Skynet in her basement.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Rhyno posted:

That was just in one episode, and seemed pretty straightforward to me. Wasn't anything terminator related, it was a simple case of school bullying about sex.

At John & Cameron's school someone paints graffiti of an office door and through the glass you can see a silhouette of a man and girl kissing. Later the artist updates it to have underwear hanging off the doorknob. Cameron hears girls all calling one particular girl a slut, and later the girl gets so upset she jumps off the roof.

The girl slept with someone (maybe a teacher?), and someone found out about it and revealed it to everyone by painting the graffiti, humiliating the girl and making her suicidal.

The point of it was 1) Cameron being useless at consoling an upset girl, to the degree that the girl commits suicide 5 minutes after talking to her. Good job, Cameron! 2) John wanting to save the girl, and Cameron stopping him because of not wanting to draw any attention to themselves. 3) John being pissed off because he's supposed to be destined to be a great hero and leader, and yet Cameron and Sarah won't let him do anything heroic or make any decisions.

But, watching the commentary on the disc, they talk about how originally that plot would have been revisited in a later episode, but it got dropped when the first season was shortened. I have no idea what that would have done it, as it seemed like a simple self-contained plot.

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

It was the guidance counselor, going from the reveal of letters on the door and the later scene with him and Cameron when he asked her about it.

• Locked thread