Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Some Numbers posted:

I have it on good authority that the Star Trek deckbuilder is actually the worst one.

The Star Trek Deckbuilder is incredibly, staggeringly, outrageously awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

I'll have to try it watch people play it and shake my head sadly to see how much worse it is than the other ones, because I have a lot of trouble believing it could be worse than Penny Arcade: Gamers vs Evil.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Think of Codenames as Pictionary but with words?

Andarel posted:

I'll have to try it watch people play it and shake my head sadly to see how much worse it is than the other ones, because I have a lot of trouble believing it could be worse than Penny Arcade: Gamers vs Evil.

Is... is that a real product? :cry:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Welp the Dominion pics turned out terrible and my camera arbitrarily changed my Twitter account to a different one anyway.

We did have a great time, although eight hours was certainly my limit. Now not to play for another year or so.

Just found Dilluvia Project and Porta Nigra on philibertnet.com. Hope they get here before Thanksgiving.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

SynthOrange posted:

Think of Codenames as Pictionary but with words?

Is... is that a real product? :cry:

Indeed. There's even an app for it if you want to get in on that sweet, sweet gameplay.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Lorini posted:

my camera arbitrarily changed my Twitter account to a different one anyway.

what the gently caress?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

DC Deckbuilder is unambitious and has some issues (that got worse in expansions) but it basically works as a game. It has the lack of variety (though the different characters do play somewhat differently) inherent in a single deck deckbuilder, and its missing the action, buying, and VP economies that make Dominion great... but it also plays very very fast, and actually does a reasonable job rewarding skill. It snowballs pretty hard, but that's excusable in a short game.

Not great, but I'd pick it over Penny Arcade (abominable), Trains (longer, no better), or Marvel Legendary.

Edit: oh, and I'd forgotten about the Star Trek thing. It's one of the very few games that we didn't finish a single round of before selling. Insane garbage.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 19, 2015

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Sorry, but the worst deckbuilder has to be the Resident Evil Deckbuilding Game. Licensed deckbuilders are terrible; zombie games are terrible; it's two terrible tastes that taste terrible together.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Andarel posted:

It's incredibly convoluted. I remember at least three different stats used to complete (random) objectives. Many of the cards each have several full sentences worth of rules text on them.

So technically, the game has 4, at minimum, currencies for different things.

Edit: Star Trek is to deckbuilders what Decipher Star Wars was to CCGs.

ThisIsNoZaku fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 19, 2015

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

what the gently caress?

Which is what I said. The first pic was posted under the @jensgamingpics and then the next five were on my non-tweet account. People who follow that account anyway must have been pretty surprised....

Next time I think I'll do video/gifs for the layouts, although it's gonna be awhile before another session like that.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Countblanc posted:

I played Copper Country

That's kind of a shame, but ultimately about what I was expecting with this game. My read/play throughs ultimately left me with a shallower feeling than I was hoping I would get. Oh well, I can still sell the theme to my friends (some of whom work at the mines)

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
My local meetup is pretty white, but so is my city - agree that relative to other geek hobbies we do pretty well. The MtG scene has a lot of asians but no other PoC.

4outof5 posted:

Don't say I didn't warn you people this was coming after that horse poo poo on bgg last year.

Good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Black people love anime. Checkmate nerds.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Bottom Liner posted:

Black people love anime. Checkmate nerds.

Dude... What the gently caress are you talking about? Why are you talking about it?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Lord Frisk posted:

Dude... What the gently caress are you talking about? Why are you talking about it?

Sorry, cross talk from the other thread but the topic came back up in here and I wasn't paying attention to which one I was in. Point stands though.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Lord Frisk posted:

Forget it Jack, it's Florida.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Edit: Star Trek is to deckbuilders what Decipher Star Wars was to CCGs.

As someone who adored the Decipher SW:CCG...I'm not sure I can go with you on the point you're trying to make here. SW:CCG was amazing. :colbert:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Das Doppelganger posted:

Would Codenames be a good classroom game for an English room or does it's main mechanic rely more on being clever than word comprehension? It sounds from an earlier post it's more cleverness than comprehension.

A bit far back, but I really think it wouldn't work. There's not much talk, and failing to use dual meanings makes the game a lot less fun. I think good educational games are the ones that just generally require a lot of talking, which is basically co-ops. Get Forbidden Desert or Pandemic. Or possibly Once Upon a Time if the class is into fairytales.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Poopy Palpy posted:

Sorry, but the worst deckbuilder has to be the Resident Evil Deckbuilding Game. Licensed deckbuilders are terrible; zombie games are terrible; it's two terrible tastes that taste terrible together.

Legendary Encounters would like a word with you.

(Actually it would like to kill you in a nightmarish fashion and optionally take your body parts as a trophy, but "a word" suffices.)

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
That reminds me, anyone tried the new LE: Predator? How does it play compared to Alien?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

snuff posted:

That reminds me, anyone tried the new LE: Predator? How does it play compared to Alien?

Not as good, still decent.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Not having played predator yet, but looking at the rules and cards, I think the mash ups will be where it shines

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I actually enjoy the RE: Deckbuilding game on theme, though the mechanics fall way short. A little bit of nostalgia too, since it was one of the first "modern" games I ever bought.

It avoids the market row mechanic with a tableau market but the monster deck is downright terrible. You see, to end the game you gotta kill the boss, and whomever has the most points worth of killed monsters wins. However, the monster deck is 100% random so that boss could be the very first card you draw.
What this encourages is a race to get the most powerful weapon cards so you can one-shot anything you draw, and hope you draw the boss. Compounding this is that any card you can buy
compounds very poorly with other cards so engine building is inhibited which is like the whole point of deck builders.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
So what about NHL Power Play? It differs from the rest of the Cerberus games in that none of the cards have VP whatsoever, and the only way to score is to attempt to purchase a Goalie (the game's equivalent of Super Villains) and hope that you still have enough Power to buy it after any opponents play Defender cards (and also you can't do anything else that turn, if you end up with not enough power, lol you just wasted a turn.) I saw it last year and thought maybe it's the one good Cerberus Engine game but never bothered to actually try it.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

KamikazeJim posted:

So what about NHL Power Play? It differs from the rest of the Cerberus games in that none of the cards have VP whatsoever, and the only way to score is to attempt to purchase a Goalie (the game's equivalent of Super Villains) and hope that you still have enough Power to buy it after any opponents play Defender cards (and also you can't do anything else that turn, if you end up with not enough power, lol you just wasted a turn.) I saw it last year and thought maybe it's the one good Cerberus Engine game but never bothered to actually try it.

I've wondered about this game purely because I could trick my dad into playing it because of the theme.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I wish more deckbuilders had apps, or at least online demos so I could try them out without dropping fat stacks on them.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Productive gaming this weekend...bunch of Codenames, Marco Polo, La Granja, Imperial Settlers (finally testing out Atlanteans), and a couple rounds of Between Two Cities. Also the BattleCON tournament going on in the level 99 thread.

B2C is super good, way better than I was expecting.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Das Doppelganger posted:

Would Codenames be a good classroom game for an English room or does it's main mechanic rely more on being clever than word comprehension? It sounds from an earlier post it's more cleverness than comprehension.

As someone who has taught English as a foreign language for a short time many years ago, I adapted TV shows into games to teach the language, including Going for Gold and Jeopardy, and was thinking whether Codenames could be used for this.

I reckon the concept can be used as a fun way to get people to use dictionaries to look up and learn and guess words. 'Zebra 3, maybe animal, black and white, but maybe Africa?'. However it can't work with the default cards, or at least not all of them. That would be far too advanced.

If you tailored it to more moderate level of adjectives and nouns and ignored most elements of double meanings, I think you could have a good learning game which would be pitifully simple for accomplished speakers, but could work for a fun learning game that is played a lot straighter.

But it definitely needs new words.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

KamikazeJim posted:

As a pure game, I don't think it's much better than DC Deckbuilder.

Every turn you can choose to take a shot on a goalie where you must get from 9-12 power to be successful, with the opponent(s) optionally playing a Defender card into your attempt to raise that number by 1-3 or buy cards. If you successfully score on a goalie, you just take that goalie card as a goal/VP. Whoever scores more by the end of the game wins. There's also a Penalty mechanic where some cards give you or your opponent(s) these. Some cards get more powerful if you have Penalties floating around, but if you ever have 2 or more Penalties in your hand during a turn, you lose that turn. Otherwise, the game is Cryptozoic's typical market row DBG.

Things I liked about it:
Choosing between shot-taking or buying cards at the beginning of your turn is a good change. A significant number of buyable players will say "When taking a shot, draw [a/some] card." instead of having a bunch of raw power, making them less useful when you aren't taking shots.
Successfully taking a shot on a goalie doesn't give you a snowball effect as in DC Deckbuilder by giving you an awesome card in your deck. HOWEVER, if your opponent is still playing catchup with his deck's ability to put out X power in a turn, raising the target number by defeating the easier goalies can still result in some snowballing.
All of the players are unique. The card effects are copied, but you don't get a situation where you play 2 Crosbys and 3 Ovechkins on a turn.
Penalties can give you a push your luck element to curb trying to draw through your entire deck in a turn.

Things I dislike:
Most games I've played has come down to both players cycling through a significant-to-entire portion of their decks while taking shots. Penalties can act as a deterrent to this, but first you need to find market row cards that actually hand out Penalties.
All the card draw during shots makes the game longer than I would like it to be.
The default rule of only 1 Defender played against a shot (to add 1-3 extra power needed to score) feels too weak and hasn't stopped shots often in the 2 player games I've tried. I would strongly consider allowing your opponent to throw all Defenders he has against a given shot.
Trashing is still godly. If you're the only person who lucks into access to trashing from the market row, congrats on your win.

All that said, it is the only NHL-themed deckbuilder on the market I know of, and that got one of my relatives to try it. There are much better deckbuilders around if the theme isn't critical to your enjoyment.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 19, 2015

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Is Zombicide any good?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fat Turkey posted:

As someone who has taught English as a foreign language for a short time many years ago, I adapted TV shows into games to teach the language, including Going for Gold and Jeopardy, and was thinking whether Codenames could be used for this.

I reckon the concept can be used as a fun way to get people to use dictionaries to look up and learn and guess words. 'Zebra 3, maybe animal, black and white, but maybe Africa?'. However it can't work with the default cards, or at least not all of them. That would be far too advanced.

If you tailored it to more moderate level of adjectives and nouns and ignored most elements of double meanings, I think you could have a good learning game which would be pitifully simple for accomplished speakers, but could work for a fun learning game that is played a lot straighter.

But it definitely needs new words.

Yeah, I was thinking you could make replacement words with the students' grammar words (I'm assuming that grammar lists are a part of the class), but Codenames is also really well balanced in terms of the words in the gamespace, so you might end up with something not quite as fun if you tried it yourself.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Boz0r posted:

Is Zombicide any good?

No. It's an expensive, zombie-themed version of Flash Point built on die rolls and random card draws.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Probably going to wind up trying Signorie, Burano, and Nippon at a board game meetup this weekend. Anyone have any pointers on how those games work to ease the burden of whoever is tasked with teaching me them?

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I haven't played Burano yet but from BGG: when you build a pyramid of cubes each round, it should take 1 minute max. Don't let someone try and AP about it.

Also, please post your thoughts on these games!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

snuff posted:

I really like LE: Predator, though I have never played Alien. One big difference is that the Predator version is basically two games in one. In one game you are playing a cooperative game as a group of people (archetypes from the two movies) trying to complete objectives and either run away from the Predator (minor win) or kill him (major win). This is the version that I'm told is similar to Alien. In the other game, you are each a predator (there are different predators just like there are different marines and cops in the first game) and your task is to hunt prey and accumulate the most trophies (basically, victory points). There are some fun differences in that you can actually fight each other and can accumulate (and 'heal') dishonor when your prey gets the better of you. What surprised me is that even though they share a ton of rules there are actually completely different cards for each game, so it really is like two games in one. From what I've read, the Alien game basically doubles the number of cooperative scenarios but does not have the alternative game mode (although the Predator book does have alternate rules for a cooperative predator-only game wherein everyone is trying to kill the ultimate prey and beat your high team score).

And yeah, there are a lot of rules for mixing and matching the two games together that look like they would be a lot of fun. I plan on buying LE: Alien as soon as Predator starts to get a little stale. My only real complaint is the cost and the time it took me to sleeve all the cards (700 cards in LE: Predator, sheesh).

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

One of the best things Legendary Encounters has over Legendary Marvel is that it's fully co-op, so I'm not too thrilled that in Predator they decided to do less co-op content in favor of adding a pvp mode.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Scyther posted:

One of the best things Legendary Encounters has over Legendary Marvel is that it's fully co-op, so I'm not too thrilled that in Predator they decided to do less co-op content in favor of adding a pvp mode.

Fully semi-coop, anyway

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Boz0r posted:

Is Zombicide any good?

It's probably one of the best zombie themed games, but that's not really high praise.

It's got nice components and cool minis, but the gameplay is solidly "meh". Co-op so prone to quarterbacking, and super random (D6 or random card flips to resolve almost everything). If you're into theme over rules, it's fine, but as a game it's pretty lackluster.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Boz0r posted:

Is Zombicide any good?

Fiancé and I play it pretty regularly (or at least did until Pandemic Legacy released). Lots of dice and card draw and very thematic. A lot of the game becomes mitigating/anticipating bad outcomes, which fits the theme but probably isn't great design. But I kinda dig that kind of game sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Zombicide is 100% Ameritrash but my friends really like that sometimes. It's not terrible, and I'm ok with it for the price I paid (got it cheap), but not really worth the craziness people have for it. It was the first huge CMON game and you can tell they put style over substance, but thankfully they've gotten better a the latter. Arcadia Quest is my favorite dungeon crawl type game, and Blood Rage looks pretty great too. Anyone actually played it yet?