Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Also if you a couple rats eyeing you but cowering back kill those ficked cause the minute the see your back they charge at you

As the Dwarf (I believe?) says, they are cowards and will strike when you don't expect it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Does anyone else have problems hitting the glob thrower dude with ranged weapons? I dunno what it is but that dudes hitbox seems wonky and I have the worst time trying to hit him.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

BadLlama posted:

Does anyone else have problems hitting the glob thrower dude with ranged weapons? I dunno what it is but that dudes hitbox seems wonky and I have the worst time trying to hit him.

He's got a lot of superfluous clothing/equipment hanging off his body, and oftentimes I'll end up pinging shots off his backpack while trying to score a headshot.

Other than that the special rats tend to be real twitchy while pathing towards you, which complicates matters nicely when a packmaster is beelining for someone in the middle of a horde.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

They don't want to get shot in the face, I don't blame them. Packmasters have balls though, those fuckers just charge you head on alone sometimes.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Since figuring the BW mechanics I've been having way more fun with her. My flaming sword vents on hit too, so it's nice to get in there swinging and be ready to blow the poo poo out of stuff when it's needed.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I think I'm in love :stwoon:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

BadLlama posted:

The worst rat I've seen is the treasure rat. I can swear that on multiple levels, I have hit it dead on with a billion arrows and no hits register. I always have to melee it to actually get my damned treasure.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Perestroika posted:

That's badass. Good luck with the rolls when you upgrade!

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
I suspect that it is probably entirely cosmetic, but I was curious if there was any mechanical difference in health / 'toughness' between the characters--e.g. the soldier and dwarf being more 'durable' than the bright wizard and elf. I can't help but associate plate armor and the like with characters being more resilient, but I figure they're probably mechanically identical in that regard.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Perestroika posted:

That's the best healing echant I've seen yet.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So, I don't have any framerate or graphics issues, I'm just bogged down with load times so long that sometimes it just hangs on a black screen.
Is this common or a hiccup on my particular hardware.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Inzombiac posted:

So, I don't have any framerate or graphics issues, I'm just bogged down with load times so long that sometimes it just hangs on a black screen.
Is this common or a hiccup on my particular hardware.

I get the same thing to the point of Windows freezing out the screen, I think the loads are just really crappy

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I'm starting to suspect that if an attack isn't armor piercing and it hits the sackrat's sack it doesn't do any damage; and something similar with the globadier/ratling gunner's backpacks(which maybe get a chance to explode?). Someone earlier mentioned that your performance effects your loot options; is that true and if so how does it work? Like, when I'm playing the Empire Soldier I've always got a billion clanrat kills, but when I'm playing the witchhunter I don't have many at all but I do have the most stormvermin and special kills. What gets weighted and how?

Dazh
Jul 9, 2008

GaistHeidegger posted:

I suspect that it is probably entirely cosmetic, but I was curious if there was any mechanical difference in health / 'toughness' between the characters--e.g. the soldier and dwarf being more 'durable' than the bright wizard and elf. I can't help but associate plate armor and the like with characters being more resilient, but I figure they're probably mechanically identical in that regard.

There doesn't seem to be a difference from my experience beyond the fact that the soldier and the Dwarf both get shield options, which don't increase your durability directly, but being able to knock down big groups of Skaven over and over+block hits is huge.

Longshot007 posted:

That's the best healing echant I've seen yet.

My orange hammer/shield for the dwarf has a percentage chance to heal for 5% each time I hit

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

BadLlama posted:

I have problems hitting anything with any of the ranged weapons :downs:

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.

Mr Beens posted:

I have problems hitting anything with any of the ranged weapons :downs:

If we are talking about witch hunter there is a small delay after you press shot button and actual shot, for both special rapier attack and dual pistols.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
just ran with some actually good pubbies, did some nightmare smuggler's run levels as the soldier with a sword and board.

i was wondering how much of an impact i was really having on the proceedings; you dont really rack up the kills and sometimes feel like you'd be better off with a weapon instead. and then, while waiting in a corner for a gate to come down, i hosed up and went down, and two stormvermin immediately proceeded to send everyone straight to the slam sector

that's the real huge advantage of the shield that ive noticed, compared to other crowd control based weapons; its strong attack is very quick and gives a bunch of rats a good tumble, and its got stamina and all, but its really the only weapon that can control more than one stormvermin near indefinatly. we had times where we got attacked during a horde by four stormvermin at once and came away unscatched since interrupting their swings is very quick and inexpensive stamina-wise.

its a good thing ive got it too since every other loving drop ive been getting is loving one handed maces and bad trinkets

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

NeurosisHead posted:

I'm starting to suspect that if an attack isn't armor piercing and it hits the sackrat's sack it doesn't do any damage; and something similar with the globadier/ratling gunner's backpacks(which maybe get a chance to explode?). Someone earlier mentioned that your performance effects your loot options; is that true and if so how does it work? Like, when I'm playing the Empire Soldier I've always got a billion clanrat kills, but when I'm playing the witchhunter I don't have many at all but I do have the most stormvermin and special kills. What gets weighted and how?

The only thing (that I am aware of) that affects loot, is the dice, tomes and grimores you can find in the level which replace the standard dice with better ones in the loot screen. They use the term "performance effects you loot options" in that gameplay overview video someone posted earlier today when referring to this system. Everyone gets the same loot dice at the end (although your rolls and loot options will be different I assume).
As far as I am aware individual kills etc do not influence loot, but I may be wrong.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I cannot stress how important it is to take the rifle as a soldier. Steady your aim and a headshot will kill any special outside of an Ogre.

Having a Gunner drop down and immediately eat a bullet before it can spin up is very, very satisfying.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.

Inzombiac posted:

I cannot stress how important it is to take the rifle as a soldier. Steady your aim and a headshot will kill any special outside of an Ogre.

Having a Gunner drop down and immediately eat a bullet before it can spin up is very, very satisfying.

Needless to say you can quickly swap to a cocked gun and noscope any bustard in critical situation.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Inzombiac posted:

The crossbow for the Witch Hunter is like that too. I sure love the idea of having 48 pistols strapped to my torso, but that crossbow is a boss bitch for dealing with the dangerous rats.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Mr Beens posted:

As far as I am aware individual kills etc do not influence loot, but I may be wrong.
It may be confirmation bias, but helping people (that ping sound you hear when killing something that was going to hit a friend) seems to mean better loot options, as an extra blue instead of green on the loot table.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Have the devs mentioned adding other customization? Like armor color or different armor itself?

For Bright Wizard players: what's you preferred staff type and why? The fire bolt staff is pretty fun, with the default being rapid fire and the charged bolt seems pretty powerful. I liked the fireball staff too, that fireball cleared out groups like it was going out of style.

Gealar
May 2, 2013
I have seen the hunting bow, trueshot, and hag bows. The game mentions that there are bodkin bows are they the standard long bows?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

They could make so much money of a tf2 hat system they would be retarded not to do a customization thing.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BadLlama posted:

They could make so much money of a tf2 hat system they would be retarded not to do a customization thing.
The collector's edition comes with hats :eng101:

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Pubbies can't even do Supply & Demand on normal it's amazing. Even when you take a second to explain what needs to happen at the final part they still find amazing ways to poo poo the bed and not stick together.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Hell, up to and including Hard you can kill all specials except for stormvermin and globadiers with just a bodyshot, no need to take time to aim for the head. The rifle really seems to be far and away the best ranged option for the soldier. The repeater gun is fun and seems to have slightly more utility for regular running and gunning, but not being able to take out a special immediately when you need it is usually too much of a trade-off. Blunderbuss needn't even apply.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

BadLlama posted:

Games Workshop are pretty allergic to good ideas though, so it's unlikely they'd approve of as broad an array of stuff as in tf2.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Blood Bowl football pads for the soldier please

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
My only regret is that the Wood Elf in this game is a goddamn Wayfarer. A Wayfarer! If you're going to put in a Wood Elf, of all things, put in a Wardancer so we can go full woad painted screaming berserker on this poo poo :argh:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Lol if you thought legolas wouldn't have a bow.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Took me a few rounds to get a hang of this but I'm having a lot of fun now. Team composition/loadout seems like a huge deal compared to L4D. Hopefully after a couple more Hard runs I'll get my first orange. So far I've been getting blue elfswords and blue staffs of the same drat spell, and I don't even like those classes!

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Captain Oblivious posted:

My only regret is that the Wood Elf in this game is a goddamn Wayfarer. A Wayfarer! If you're going to put in a Wood Elf, of all things, put in a Wardancer so we can go full woad painted screaming berserker on this poo poo :argh:

The only reason it's not a Wardancer is cause you would spend too much time spinning around and jumping half-way across the map, leaving the rest of the nerds behind to get swarmed.

Gutter Runner + Wardancer = Dance Off Time

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Also give me a playable Saurus Warrior I don't care what kind of bullshit background you need to cook up for this.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
They could always add more characters later if they felt like it was worth the effort. It'd be cool to see the contents of the inn rooms (which are awesome little bits of characterization imo) change based on who was in the lobby or something. Or as someone mentioned in a game I was in, they could always use that basement door for more rooms or features.

I guess the only downside of more characters would be a smaller chance of getting the poo poo you really want on loot rolls.

My wish would be to have a TF2-esque token you could salvage for that could be used in fusing, to make sure it was for so-and-so or for such-and-such slot.

ellbent fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 19, 2015

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Perestroika posted:

Blunderbuss needn't even apply.

It is insanely triggering to me that they start the soldier with that pile of junk

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious

Tokubetsu posted:

Pubbies can't even do Supply & Demand on normal it's amazing. Even when you take a second to explain what needs to happen at the final part they still find amazing ways to poo poo the bed and not stick together.

It's really, really frustrating when that pubby elf (why is it always an elf?) goes off on his own to get that one farther away sack of grain, gets grabbed and killed despite being told to stay with the group, then proceeds to whine in caps as we all die that we didn't get him up soon enough.

At least he's not getting loot either, I guess.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Illegal Username posted:

Is there any pros to the ordinary longbow to the Trueflight longbow?
Except for occasional wonky targeting issues

edit: The hagbane is a bit poo poo right now

The normal longbow's shots will go exactly where you point, so you always will hit what you want, which makes it way better for killing specials in crowded situations where trueflight arrows will zoom off to kill random clanrats instead of that ratling gunner who is murdering your friend. It also has 50% more ammo out of the box, meaning that you're much freer to spam shots out with it without going dry at a critical moment. It's absolutely great for murdering packed clanrats in particular since one drawn arrow will punch through multiple rats in a row and kill them all if you line it up right, and the weapon has all the power of the trueflight so it slaughters specials with one or two headshots.

Trueflight is rad for sick corner kills though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Red Mundus posted:

Try turning vsync on and capping frames to 60. Yes turning vsync on to increase fps is rear end-backwards but that's beta for you. Games needs a round of optimization patches.

This made it worse and better at the same time. As in its a bit smoother but when it stutters holy poo poo does it stutter, its a bit weird.

Pimpmust posted:

I'm suspecting it may be a driver issue with your 660? I know my old 460 started acting up after one driver update or another when Nvidia decided it was getting too long in the tooth or something.
I have a i5-4690K at 3.5ghz, 8gb of RAM and a GTX 770 and it runs pretty much smooth as butter on high with exception for the massive burning body-piles of Skaven at like the Horn of Magnus part (to be expected) :shrug:

Yeah i'm going to have to assume its a case of either a bad driver or some beta weirdness. Its just a shame really. Can't wait until they patch it, it'll be great to get into this more.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 19, 2015

• Locked thread