Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
why is the poison arrow bow so poo poo. Only has like a third of the ammo of the other bows, and despite making a CLOUD of poison gas, it only ever affects one rat at a time. Let me gas like a dozen rats and I'm a-OK with the low ammo count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

dogstile posted:

This made it worse and better at the same time. As in its a bit smoother but when it stutters holy poo poo does it stutter, its a bit weird.

Yeah I have the same experience too. I leave it on because it's the only thing that stops stutters overall but when the poo poo hits the fan I get single digit fps. Apparently borderless fullscreen helps as well but I'm too lazy to change my desktop resolution to equal my game resolution every time I want to play. I just block in a corner when my fps drops and hope pubbie players can pick up the slack (they don't).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Trier posted:

why is the poison arrow bow so poo poo. Only has like a third of the ammo of the other bows, and despite making a CLOUD of poison gas, it only ever affects one rat at a time. Let me gas like a dozen rats and I'm a-OK with the low ammo count

Yeah, I get the feeling the hagbane's niche was meant to be crowd control but the clouds are super loving tiny and it has no ammo so it sucks poo poo at doing that. If it poofed into smaller versions of globadier clouds that made skaven in it wretch and choke it would be worth giving up the damage and ammo count that other bows offer.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
5 Nightmare sewer runs later: 1 blue, 2 greens, 2 whites.

Just kill me now. End it, please.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Mr Scumbag posted:

All I can say is thank gently caress for Steam refunds.

Seems like at it's base, the game is pretty solid and has a huge amount of potential, but in its current state I feel like it's awfully balanced and there's too many glitches and connectivity problems to be really enjoyable. Add the loading times to being constantly disconnected and it gets really frustrating.
I've had it crash once in ~12 hours of play, and pretty sure it's only because of some weird clicking around I was doing on the player/tab menu. Never lost connect or anything otherwise. Every game has been with other players, none solo.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Getting virtually nothing for failing a map (even if you get right to the end) is really lovely, especially given how long it can take to complete a mission. That's probably one of the biggest problems I have with the game, it really doesn't respect your time and can be really demoralising. It also doesn't explain anything very well and much of the time it's difficult to know what's even going on because there's so much poo poo on the screen. Getting hosed over by a special rat feels cheap a lot of the time since there doesn't seem to be any way to reliable detect them in the middle of a hoard. A lot of this probably wouldn't be as bad after I've played for a bunch of hours, but then I'm ineligible for a refund, so...

It's kind of disappointing since I loved L4D and Payday 1&2

Payday2 pretty much gives you even less for failing a mission.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Thankfully, all of this can be changed/fixed over time and I think it will be. I'll look at picking it up again in about 6-12 months.

Ultimately you didn't have fun, so it sounds like steam refunds serve their purpose!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dezztroy posted:

If you're at the point where you're grinding nightmare for items, you'd probably be much better off to just take a break for a week and then do it properly once the whole thing is released. There's bound to be another map that'll be about as quick/easy as sewers while having at least some tomes and/or grimoures.

Dazh
Jul 9, 2008
Why even do the sewer ever much less grind it? No tomes, no grimoires, no thank you. I've had a good handful of competent pub groups by doing hard mode horn level runs.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm a bit dissapointed that I may actually end up picking this up on PS4 and not PC as my computer is too lovely to run it well.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

How the hell do I figure out how to play? It's hard to learn when pubbies keep vote-kicking you.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Gimnbo posted:

How the hell do I figure out how to play? It's hard to learn when pubbies keep vote-kicking you.

I... Have never even seen a vote kick intiated in 30+ games so kudos. As long as you stay with the group (or just whichever player is highest level to be safe) and swing vaguely in the direction of enemies you basically have 90% of the game down.

EDIT: You can try playing a few games on easy with bots first to learn the ropes, they follow you pretty effectively and are better than the average new player.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Dazh posted:

Why even do the sewer ever much less grind it? No tomes, no grimoires, no thank you. I've had a good handful of competent pub groups by doing hard mode horn level runs.

It's faster and has less chances to gently caress up than the other two maps. Sure each completion might give you lower-quality loot, but you might be looking at 2-3x as many completions with a solid group or way more if you factor in wipes and resets.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
The sewer level is fun at least.
Me and my friends are still trying to figure out the best way to deal with rat ogres when we're not loaded on bombs + strength potions. Everything else boils down to me getting headshots with the soldier's way too good rifle. :greencube:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Gimnbo posted:

Join the goon mumble and never ever ever play with pubbies. Same as with any other online game.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

Full Circle posted:

I... Have never even seen a vote kick intiated in 30+ games so kudos.
This. How do you manage to piss pubbies off so much?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Metrohunter posted:

Me and my friends are still trying to figure out the best way to deal with rat ogres when we're not loaded on bombs + strength potions. Everything else boils down to me getting headshots with the soldier's way too good rifle. :greencube:

I dumped the entirety of my witchdocter pistol count into him and it looked like it did gently caress all, i'm thinking he's a bit resistant to range.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

The gatling gunner shooting through walls really needs to get fixed

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Drythe posted:

gently caress I'm agreeing with dry the

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Drythe posted:

Here is a solution: get gud

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Metrohunter posted:

Liberal application of Warhammer to the Dome followed by a backdash. Rinse and repeat until somebody makes a witty quip about the ogre biting it. The Elf's dagger ganks work well on it too if you're quick.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Someone tried to vote kick me once for using my healing "too early". Everyone else made fun of him and he dropped. The bot did better anyway.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I'm a bit dissapointed that I may actually end up picking this up on PS4 and not PC as my computer is too lovely to run it well.

Because after doing 10+ runs on Hard Horn with 3 tomes and 2 grimoires and getting even worse loot, I decided to do something else!

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Pubbies are awful at playing but so far have been surprisingly nice.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Yeah I just dropped down to Easy to get my bearings straight and things have been going a lot more smoothly.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I love the Trueflight bow so loving much right now, but goddamn it just cannot handle rogres. I think half the arrows I shot at one just whipped around its head until it finally died. Or got sick. One of those things happened.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Brainamp posted:

I love the Trueflight bow so loving much right now, but goddamn it just cannot handle rogres. I think half the arrows I shot at one just whipped around its head until it finally died. Or got sick. One of those things happened.

The trueflight bow also causes disconnects if used VS rat ogres. Every time an elf joins (which is all of the time) i ask em if they use trueflight, cause after 7 disconnects i aint even bothering with that poo poo.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

well gently caress you too game

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

Musluk posted:

well gently caress you too game

I just had this too, with 2 loot dice added.

It gave me my 5th spare white, so I rolled up a green.

1h sword (no shield) with a 1-3% chance of 5% healing on charged attack.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Jimbot posted:

For Bright Wizard players: what's you preferred staff type and why? The fire bolt staff is pretty fun, with the default being rapid fire and the charged bolt seems pretty powerful. I liked the fireball staff too, that fireball cleared out groups like it was going out of style.

Basic fireball staff for Hard and under. Spamming uncharged right click attacks over and over while occasionally venting does a poo poo ton of AoE disruption and damage from a good range. The left click is also solid for picking off small numbers of rats and specials. You're gonna have a very hard time not getting #1 in kills as long as your group is funneling rat swarms into clusters and chokepoints.

Beam staff for Nightmare+. The big advantage to this staff is that its AoE shotgun blast does not do friendly fire damage, which is what completely cripples the fireball staff on higher difficulties. I don't really like the right click beam attack and the AoE isn't quite as effective as the fireball due to the range and heat generation, but it still works decently well and the lack of friendly fire is huge.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 20, 2015

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
If you roll the lowest value dice around one in ten rolls will be success less.

Come back when you have two loot dice and three tomes and still get nothing :(

Edit: The beam staffs beam is poo poo, just use it for the amazingly OP shotgun. Sniping specials is someone elses job.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I highly suggest people run on easy as long as they can stand it and just mash all your white items together. You're guaranteed a win, xp and two items if you gain a level.

Nothing more frustrating than spending 45 minutes on a Hard Horn ;) with tomes and Grims and failing at the last minute for loot that could end up being white anyway.

Hard and above should NEVER give white loot.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
I really wish pubbies wouldn't even bother with grims or just do one. Its so frustrating when you can tell its going to be very hard to complete the mission but one guy insists that tomes by themselves aren't worth it.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

I highly suggest people run on easy as long as they can stand it and just mash all your white items together. You're guaranteed a win, xp and two items if you gain a level.

Nothing more frustrating than spending 45 minutes on a Hard Horn ;) with tomes and Grims and failing at the last minute for loot that could end up being white anyway.

Hard and above should NEVER give white loot.

Play with goons, succeed on hard 90% of the time, enjoy your avalanche of blue items that would take 25 whites each to craft. With 2 grimoires you are guaranteed to not get a white, and even if you only go for tomes it is very unlikely that you won't get at least a green (and there's no reason not to get all 3 tomes every run).

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Trier posted:

It staggers the rat you hit and rats within a shortish distance around them, and does damage over time. One or two will kill as many regular rats can fill in the area of the blast. I've had really good luck with them clearing out swarms. I feel like I'm using a different weapon than you guys or something. Mine is blue, maybe that helps?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Man, they must have done something to something because Hard is now HARD. Our group had two lower level guys including myself, but we still just got bombarded with special after special

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Man, they must have done something to something because Hard is now HARD. Our group had two lower level guys including myself, but we still just got bombarded with special after special

When it comes to special spawns the game can sometimes just go "gently caress these guys" and send you a RO, an ambush and a horde at the same time, along with a few specials just to make sure. Thats one of the things im not a fan of, sometimes the game just wont let you win.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Dezztroy posted:

Solo? Is that possible?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Vargs posted:

Play with goons, succeed on hard 90% of the time, enjoy your avalanche of blue items that would take 25 whites each to craft. With 2 grimoires you are guaranteed to not get a white, and even if you only go for tomes it is very unlikely that you won't get at least a green (and there's no reason not to get all 3 tomes every run).

I'm sure that is true but I play in really off hours.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
I was all excited that I rolled and got an orange hat. Then I put it on my elf and my excitement faded rapidly.

rezatahs fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 20, 2015

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How can you hit level 15 and not think to pick up healing items and heal yourself?

Edit: Is there an elf trinket or weapon or hat that prevents you from doing so or makes you extra stupid or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
So I just played for a few hours with a friend and some random people, and we did rather well! Normal was very doable and we even attempted a hard Horn map (which we failed) before we called it a day.

I do have a few newbie questions for those who have played this game more than I have:

Are tomes random on the maps? Do all the maps have tomes?
I've mostly been playing the Witch Hunter, and it feels like I sometimes miss shots that should've hit. Do partymembers bodyblock gunshots? Is it client-based hitdetection or would latency mess it up?
When should I be using the "Dodge" (ASD + Space)?
Is there a list of what sort of different weapons I can find for the classes? My Wizard friend got a beam-staff and I'm incredibly jealous since I still only got my default pistols.

Fun game though! I'm still disoriented when I wade into a melee fight with 3 other partymembers swinging wildly everywhere and more than once I've mistaken the elf for a rat, but 'eh! Hopefully the rest of the maps are also fun. :)

• Locked thread