Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Currently in queue for the multibit upgrade for my Bifrost Uber. I'll report back once I get the thing back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I bought that Logitech G35, I'll tell y'all if it sucks

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
loving loving my new ATH M50x headphones. I can hear super super clearly, it's insane. The amplifier is mostly a gimmick to me at this point, but it's fun so who cares.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

The Iron Rose posted:

loving loving my new ATH M50x headphones. I can hear super super clearly, it's insane. The amplifier is mostly a gimmick to me at this point, but it's fun so who cares.

Hey! I came on here to post the same thing (minus the amp). After years of using little $7 Panasonic in-ear headphones, I can't believe I've been missing out on so many sounds this whole time.

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!
Well, down the rabbit hole I go. I ended up with the O2/ODAC and grabbed a few decent closeout/remanufactured cans online (Amperior and Momentum 1 over-ear). I also just borrowed my friend's old HD580s (these are the precursor to the HD600 and apparently very similar). I've read the whole thread and I've been absorbing a ton of headphone reviews elsewhere. Now I want to narrow down that ~$500 tier so I can keep my eye out for a good used/remanufactured price on the right set. There's two things that I need a little bit of help with.

The first is soundstage. The Momentums are very small closed cans and the HD580 are wide open, so I think I've got a pretty good handle on what it "feels" like. My issue is that I've spent years listening to music on IEMs and years watching TV/movies on speakers. Most music sounds fine to me with a tiny soundstage, but when I watch youtube or something it's weird and disorienting/fatiguing. So that leads me to wanting a set of open cans but then there's issue #2...

Bass. I didn't think I was a basshead, but the HD580s are making me think I might be. They sound thin, but alright on natural sounding bass like a kick drum or bass guitar, but whenever there's any artificial subwoofer stuff in the song (like in Techno/R&B/Rap) it sounds terrible to me. Not only does the bass not really exist, but when it kicks in the highs/mids actually sound choppy to me like the drivers are trying to do too much and failing. The momentum/amperior seem to do fine because they are closed so they can take advantage of reverb. They aren't super subwoofery or anything, but the bass is satisfying.

My question is whether I should be looking at a higher-end closed can like the Shure 1540 and hoping they've got a little more soundstage than the momentums, or looking at a bassier open design and hoping they can handle subwoofer nonsense considerably better than the HD580. Maybe open planars are the answer?

It's weird, I didn't really believe in the idea of different cans for different purposes, but it's really true. Classical on the HD580 is unbelievable, and punk rock on the Amperiors makes me want to bang my head hard. The Momentums are just kind of good at most things but great at nothing and definitely the least detailed of the three.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Hey! I came on here to post the same thing (minus the amp). After years of using little $7 Panasonic in-ear headphones, I can't believe I've been missing out on so many sounds this whole time.

This was exactly my thought when going from Beats to the M70x.

Pursus posted:

Bass. I didn't think I was a basshead, but the HD580s are making me think I might be. They sound thin, but alright on natural sounding bass like a kick drum or bass guitar, but whenever there's any artificial subwoofer stuff in the song (like in Techno/R&B/Rap) it sounds terrible to me. Not only does the bass not really exist, but when it kicks in the highs/mids actually sound choppy to me like the drivers are trying to do too much and failing. The momentum/amperior seem to do fine because they are closed so they can take advantage of reverb. They aren't super subwoofery or anything, but the bass is satisfying.

Part of me really misses the bass too. I'm still breaking in my m70x's so it's getting a bit better the more I use them. But...
Well here's a visual representation:

Beats =

M70x =

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Selling a set of Bose QC25 new in box on SA mart if anyone is interested.
$280 Shipped ConUS
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745552

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Harminoff posted:

Would I get noticeably better sound/clarity going from a behringer microamp ha400 to an schiit magni 2 using a pair of hd 558's?
I'd bet actual money you couldn't A/B them.

Concurred posted:

My Senn HD 598s lost sound in the right ear cup Friday night. I noticed it after I woke up on Saturday. I don't know if something came loose inside but nothing seems damaged on the outside. From looking up claims on google it seems they have a fairly decent rating with warranty satisfaction, and since I bought these in January I should be more than okay. Does anybody have personal experience with Sennheiser and repair/warranty claims? Just want to know if I'm in for a long haul of a wait or if they're fairly expedient.
I busted a driver once on my HD25-II's and they just sent a replacement to a local dealer. P painless, just took a little while.

Oww My Eye
Jun 22, 2006
Got me a movie
Hi! I'm looking for headphone recommendations.

Questions from OP:
Budget - Up to $500, but preferably less.
Source - Smartphone and laptop.
Isolation Requirements - I regularly ride public transit, and I work in an open office. So, high isolation?
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full Sized, Circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance - I think balanced is best.
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD 280 pro, and I love them.
Preferred Music - Mostly rock, but also Jazz and Classical.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Oww My Eye posted:

Questions from OP:
Isolation Requirements - I regularly ride public transit, and I work in an open office. So, high isolation?

For maximum isolation you'll probably want to go with IEMs or a noise canceling product. If you care more about sound quality than isolation, for $400 you can get the oppo pm3, which is pretty unambiguously the best portable full sized closed headphone.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
Hey guys looking to pick up a new headset my for computer, mostly for competitive (hahaha) gaming but also occasionally listening to music/watching media. Only care about sound, no mic necessary.

Budget - Looking to spend < $200
Source - Primarily a computer without a sound card, so either USB or 3.5mm headphone jack
Isolation Requirements - Definitely not a necessity but I would like to be able to take these on a plane and zone out.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear, full sized.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not really sure here. I'll be using them mostly for playing Counter-Strike so being able to detect individual noises such as footsteps, etc. would be the most useful.
Past Headphones - The only real pair of headphones I had were the Sony branded PS3 USB Bluetooth headset. I thought it sounded nice, it probably didn't.
Preferred Music - I listen to pretty much everything so I don't think I can help specifically here.

Thanks so much guys, I already got a couple suggestions but I'm not sure how knowledgeable they are on the subject. I was recommended both of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...44367275&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-240-Stereo-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0016MNBAM/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1444367292&sr=1-3&keywords=akg

edit: after reading the thread these seem like maybe my best choice: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...&keywords=ad700

Thoughts?

Koala Cola fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 9, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Thoughts on the Shure SE215 special edition?
I want something quality, with good bass for those long motorcycle techno rides.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Oww My Eye posted:

Questions from OP:

I'm looking to part with bose qc25. They are active noise cancel headphones that fall within your budget. They are pretty freaking awesome headphones. Check out the Amazon reviews. Let me know if you're interested.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just got a free pair of hand-me-downs 250ohm DT990s to replace my HD555s (the casing is starting to become brittle and is literally held together with tape and twist ties now) from a coworker.

I am extremely impressed with the base on these cans. Jesus christ.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Thoughts on the Shure SE215 special edition?
I want something quality, with good bass for those long motorcycle techno rides.

I use the SE215s on my bike and I love them. Make sure you have the right sized buds on. Isolation is A+. You barely have to turn up the volume to be able to hear the full range clearly. They definitely have a predisposition for bass, too. I love the way they fit so flat, and the cable goes around the back of your ear. Never going back to using lovely in-helmet speakers again for anything aside from calls.

edit: the special edition is 30bux more than the standard, and the only difference is the special snowflake color. fyi. (amazon)

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just got a free pair of hand-me-downs 250ohm DT990s to replace my HD555s (the casing is starting to become brittle and is literally held together with tape and twist ties now) from a coworker.

I am extremely impressed with the base on these cans. Jesus christ.

Awesome! DT990s have been my favorite cans thus far. What are you driving them with?

Tactical Lesbian fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 10, 2015

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Does anyone have any experience with STAX srs-2170?

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Looking for a recommendation on a pair of headphones for someone. Budget is on the low side, preferably <$50. Use would be plugging in to their phone and laptop to listen to mostly pop style music. Size doesn't need to be small, earbud or full size. Leaning a bit more towards earbud though. They transcribe lyrics fairly regularly, though I imagine vocals are going to be decent on almost anything.

Or is getting headphones as a present not the best idea for fitting/comfort reasons?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Tactical Lesbian posted:

edit: the special edition is 30bux more than the standard, and the only difference is the special snowflake color. fyi. (amazon)

I thought the special ed's had "enhanced bass?" (also amazon)

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I thought the special ed's had "enhanced bass?" (also amazon)

Both have descriptions of "enhanced bass". (source: amazon.com)

this guy at head-fi did an A/B and said there was some slight difference: http://www.head-fi.org/t/643955/review-shure-se215-vs-se215-spe-blue

Tactical Lesbian fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 15, 2015

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I've had my AD700 headphones for 4-5 years now and I want to upgrade. I want something with more bass but still have the prolonged comfort (I wear eyeglasses) and the excellent soundstage. Do the AD900x headphones have more bass? Or should I get the closed A900x cans if I want more bass?

Edit: I don't consider myself a basshead because too much bass gives me a headache I just want some headphones with a bit more bass but not dramatically more bass and without having to give up the wonderful soundstage that my AD700 cans have.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 17, 2015

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

spasticColon posted:

I've had my AD700 headphones for 4-5 years now and I want to upgrade. I want something with more bass but still have the prolonged comfort (I wear eyeglasses) and the excellent soundstage. Do the AD900x headphones have more bass? Or should I get the closed A900x cans if I want more bass?

Edit: I don't consider myself a basshead because too much bass gives me a headache I just want some headphones with a bit more bass but not dramatically more bass and without having to give up the wonderful soundstage that my AD700 cans have.

I'd recommend the Sennheiser HD650, they're open, hence quite a nice sound stage. They're also more bass-heavy than the HD600. If you can, demo a pair somewhere.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Premature ejacula- posted:

I'd recommend the Sennheiser HD650, they're open, hence quite a nice sound stage. They're also more bass-heavy than the HD600. If you can, demo a pair somewhere.
This is why I spent $175 to "upgrade" from 580's to 650's.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Personally I think the HD600 is more accurate all-round, and the bass sounds more realistic for most instruments. If you prefer to listen to digitally produced music or anything that relies on a really solid beat, you may be better served by the 650.

Listen to both if you can. They're also both quite comfortable and the pads sound he quite glasses friendly.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Well over a decade and thousands of dollars more spent on equipment later, the $200 I paid for my HD600s is still, dollar for dollar, the best headphone purchase I've ever made. They may not be the best at anything anymore, but there is almost nothing they do badly, especially at a price that is well before you get to hugely diminishing returns territory. They're still the headphones I use to judge all others by.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
The silently revised HD650s aren't a whole lot different from the HD600 these days IMO. Here is the average frequency response of a decent sample size of brand new HD650s (red) vs. HD600 (blue). These measurements are from Sonarworks, a company that supplies EQ solutions for both headphones and speakers.

As you can see, not that much difference in the bass if we consider the HD6XX don't do sub-bass all to well anyway. There's a few differences between the HD650 and HD600 (better bass distortion, better driver matching down in the bass) but I think the main difference between the two is that the HD600 can sound harsh around 5khz (which can be EQed down) while the HD650 has no problem.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 18, 2015

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Anyone here have experience with the Schitt Modi 2 / Magni 2 combo? I'm considering an upgrade from the uDAC-2 that I currently use for a pair of Sennheiser HD-650s.

Also is there also any point to getting the Uber versions if I'm not sure if I'll be using the optical / line in and pre-amp outputs? I'm only using USB input and headphone output on my uDAC-2 at the moment.

Intended use would be 50% gaming, 25% movies and shows, and 25% music (Pop, Jazz, Classical). I'm a light music listener, but I feel like I'm limiting the potential of the HD-650 right now.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 18, 2015

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Anyone here have experience with the Schitt Modi 2 / Magni 2 combo? I'm considering an upgrade from the uDAC-2 that I currently use for a pair of Sennheiser HD-650s.

Also is there also any point to getting the Uber versions if I'm not sure if I'll be using the optical / line in and pre-amp outputs? I'm only using USB input and headphone output on my uDAC-2 at the moment.

Intended use would be 50% gaming, 25% movies and shows, and 25% music (Pop, Jazz, Classical). I'm a light music listener, but I feel like I'm limiting the potential of the HD-650 right now.

I've had both and they're both excellent. I paired them with HD600s and was extremely happy. Even in low gain mode the Magni had absolutely no problems driving the HD600s. The Modi is a DAC, it does what a DAC does and was transparent as far as I could tell. It looks pretty slick on your desk paired in the stack with the Magni.

I would recommend getting the Uber version of the Magni, as you may decide later on to add speakers to your setup and the preamp outs will save you a lot of trouble for only $50 more.

These products hold their resale value very well too, so if you decide to sell them later on like I did you'll only be out like $20.

I sold my HD600s and Schiit Stack because I was using my speakers way more and wanted to fund buying a new integrated amp but I really couldn't have been happier with them.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Also I will buy your uDAC2 from you if you decide to upgrade. I need a USB DAC+preamp for my speakers at work. $65 shipped?

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Best combo in the price range IMO.

edit: Also yes, the pre-amps are definitely worth it. I added a second, 100w amp for two monitors and a subwoofer and it really simplified matters greatly. It will save you from having to make another purchase for an incremental upgrade later, costing you more money overall for little or zero observed improvement in SQ

Tactical Lesbian fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 19, 2015

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Chafe posted:

The silently revised HD650s aren't a whole lot different from the HD600 these days IMO.

Well, there is a difference of $100 (in MSRP, likely smaller in street price). It does look nicer though! For all that I love about the HD600, the faux marble aesthetic is pretty awful.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
Just want to remind hd600 vs hd650 chat that the Philips Fidelio x2 is almost exactly as good as the hd600 for only $300.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I listen to music (Spotify) and podcasts at work and my $24 monoprice "hi-fi" headphones just broke. Do you guys have a recommendation for a closed circumaural headphone with good sound isolation for under $100? Comfort is the #1 priority and I prefer a mellower sound to a hyper-detailed one for work listening. I've been looking at the Sony V6 and Sennheiser 280 Pro. Are there other options I should be considering?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How do you feel about IEMs? If you can stand the form factor, they're going to be a much better buy at your budget and for what you're looking for.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

KillHour posted:

How do you feel about IEMs? If you can stand the form factor, they're going to be a much better buy at your budget and for what you're looking for.

I don't actually need extreme sound isolation since it's normally not a loud office--just enough that I'm not clearly hearing other peoples' conversations and phone calls. I'm not opposed to IEMs in theory, but the (crappy) ones I've used in the past always hurt my ears after an hour, so I probably unfairly discounted them altogether.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Premature ejacula- posted:

I can't spend that much on headphones and I had Sennheiser headphones before I got my Audio-Technica headphones and the Sennheiser cans were very uncomfortable for me. The most I'm able to spend on headphones is $200 so is there not a worthwhile upgrade from my AD700 cans for $200 or less? I would be using them primarily for games, music, and videos.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tacier posted:

I don't actually need extreme sound isolation since it's normally not a loud office--just enough that I'm not clearly hearing other peoples' conversations and phone calls. I'm not opposed to IEMs in theory, but the (crappy) ones I've used in the past always hurt my ears after an hour, so I probably unfairly discounted them altogether.

http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMAn-Electronics-RE-400-HiFiMan-Headphones/dp/B00AWLEAH6/

The price/performance curve for IEMs is WAY cheaper than circumaural. If your budget is $100, these are going to give you better everything for the money.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

spasticColon posted:

I can't spend that much on headphones and I had Sennheiser headphones before I got my Audio-Technica headphones and the Sennheiser cans were very uncomfortable for me. The most I'm able to spend on headphones is $200 so is there not a worthwhile upgrade from my AD700 cans for $200 or less? I would be using them primarily for games, music, and videos.

Well you still have a few hours to get the K7XX from Massdrop for $200.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
The price is certainly a valid reason, but Sennheiser makes so many different models that I don't know you can really transpose the comfort issues from one pair of headphones to another. Which goes for most headphone companies, really.

Except Grado. I have never worn a single pair (with stock pads) that I could stand on my ears for anything resembling an extended period of time.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
The only problem with the HD6XX for some people is the clamping force. To solve that problem, all you have to do is stretch it over a head sized object for a day or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!

Tacier posted:

I listen to music (Spotify) and podcasts at work and my $24 monoprice "hi-fi" headphones just broke. Do you guys have a recommendation for a closed circumaural headphone with good sound isolation for under $100? Comfort is the #1 priority and I prefer a mellower sound to a hyper-detailed one for work listening. I've been looking at the Sony V6 and Sennheiser 280 Pro. Are there other options I should be considering?

Tacier posted:

IEMs are probably the easiest, and will be the least obtrusive while sitting at a desk at work. You'll probably be OK with comfort if you get a set with multiple tips and you find the right fit. These ones are recently discontinued, come with 6 sets of tips and sound absurdly good for the price.

Within your original set of specifications, I think the Sennheiser Momentum around-ear fits the bill. They have a warm sound signature, very good isolation, great looks, and the headband is metal so you can bend it easily to adjust the clamping force for maximum comfort. The cups are a little small, so they might rest halfway on your ear if you've got giant ears or cause a problem with earrings, but they fit fine for me (my ears just touch the inside of the pads a little). They were $350 premium cans, but they recently released a 2.0 version so the original version are all being sold off pretty cheaply. The vendor I got my set from sells them reconditioned or open box for $110. I bought one set from them on ebay and a different model headphone direct from their website and both transactions went fine. I think this is the best you are going to do with that budget by far, just make sure you don't accidentally order the on-ear version.

Ebay Auction
Their actual website.

Pursus fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 20, 2015