Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Or if your pipes get stolen....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Leperflesh posted:

How do you not notice a leak big enough to bleed off $2700 of water in one month? That's many swimming pools' full of water, at least.

Honestly I'm in favor of simply cutting off residential water after X amount of water is used in a day where X is far higher than typical household use.

It would save situations like the aforementioned leaks from being a problem and only really impact people who are excessive consumers of water.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

Honestly I'm in favor of simply cutting off residential water after X amount of water is used in a day where X is far higher than typical household use.

It would save situations like the aforementioned leaks from being a problem and only really impact people who are excessive consumers of water.

Except that'd require new fancy water meters at every home.

Not all communities in California even have water meters at every home yet.

And by Communities, I mean 40+% of Sacramento, among other places:

http://www.cityofsacramento.org/Utilities/Conservation/Water-Meters

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Trabisnikof posted:

Except that'd require new fancy water meters at every home.
Is that a problem considering we're looking at ultra-wealthy enclaves?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Is that a problem considering we're looking at ultra-wealthy enclaves?

Except it is the water utilities that would have to pay for it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Water shaming is loving stupid.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I had a person from the city of Mountain View come to my house because my water usage shot up 300% (~400 dollars) from the previous month. Most likely cause was a slow leak or runny toilet, which sure enough it was. Even showed me how to read the water meter and switch off things until it stopped incrementing.

Mountain View will also subsidize redoing your lawn so that it doesn't have grass on it. And then give you a "Brown is the new green" lawn sign so you can shame your neighbors who still have grass. New-style lawns (or just dead grass) is actually catching on here.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

FCKGW posted:

Water shaming is loving stupid.

In 20 years, from your cracked parched lips: "if only...I had water-shamed...." *cough cough*

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Perhaps the cities and water agencies should handle excessive water consumption and let's not have everyone snitch on their neighbors because they use more water than you.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

There was a pretty good 99% invisible about lawns and lawn shaming. That's my two cents on this topic. Thanks for listening.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

FCKGW posted:

Perhaps the cities and water agencies should handle excessive water consumption and let's not have everyone snitch on their neighbors because they use more water than you.

But if no one reports them how will the agencies know?

Also kill your neighbors and reclaim their water.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Well, if you start from the premise that the main reason people get lawns is to impress others because they think it looks nice, then lawn shaming is the exact method by which we change the culture to end that.

Then, like magic, no more lawns and no more people even wanting lawns. And no more people feeling bad about not being able to water their grass.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Green looks more pleasant to the eye than brown. You aren't going to change that by shaming people, sorry.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Green looks more pleasant to the eye than brown. You aren't going to change that by shaming people, sorry.

Native landscaping looks more pleasant to the eye than turf lawns. You aren't going to change that by shaming people, sorry.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Native landscaping looks more pleasant to the eye than turf lawns.

Um... not really? Humans find lush, bright colors appealing. There's a reason tree leaves and flowers blooming in the spring are a pleasant sight for most people.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Um... not really? Humans find lush, bright colors appealing. There's a reason tree leaves and flowers blooming in the spring are a pleasant sight for most people.

You're treating a cultural norm (what looks "lush") as if it is biology. If you develop in a world of bright green grass lawns, then yes, that will look "better" to you than a bunch of flowering sages or whatever.

Besides, native landscapes often have more trees and flowers than most st augustine lawns. You're proving my point.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

You're treating a cultural norm (what looks "lush")

Hope this helps.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

enraged_camel posted:

url=define:lush vegetation
Hope this helps.

Nope, it really doesn't. :v:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

What makes you think there are no brightly-colored native plants, or that they don't bloom in spring? I'd rather have a bunch of native plants in my yard than a giant boring rear end lawn that I have to constantly water.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

enraged_camel posted:

The OC shitbags that defend lawns "because everyone told them to" can esily be manipulated into zeriscaping.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rah! posted:

What makes you think there are no brightly-colored native plants, or that they don't bloom in spring?

The trick is extending that spring period to the rest of the year.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

computer parts posted:

The trick is extending that spring period to the rest of the year.

What the gently caress is spring?
Hello southern Cal. :peanut:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

enraged_camel posted:

This is the last place I expected to see :biotruths: pop up.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

GrumpyDoctor posted:

This is the last place I expected to see :biotruths: pop up.

So you think people like bright green trees and flowers appealing because of cultural conditioning?

:laffo:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

So you think people like bright green trees and flowers appealing because of cultural conditioning?

:laffo:

Yes, actually. I know its shocking to imagine for some people, but what lush means to someone who grew up in Hawaii is different than someone who grew up in South Dakota.

Remember you started this by defending lawns over native landscaping, so exactly how does "bright green tree and flowers" do anything but prove my point?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Yes, actually. I know its shocking to imagine for some people, but what lush means to someone who grew up in Hawaii is different than someone who grew up in South Dakota.

Remember you started this by defending lawns over native landscaping, so exactly how does "bright green tree and flowers" do anything but prove my point?

I didn't "defend" lawns. This is what I said:

quote:

The reason people are resistant to native landscaping is because it doesn't appear as lush as a green lawn.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

The reason people are resistant to native landscaping is because it doesn't appear as lush as a green lawn.

Good job missing the post you made after that...also, as I keep saying you're using a cultural definition of what "lush" is. To someone used to trees and flowers, green lawns don't look as lush.

Trabisnikof posted:

Native landscaping looks more pleasant to the eye than turf lawns. You aren't going to change that by shaming people, sorry.

enraged_camel posted:

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Go back to the east coast.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

enraged_camel posted:

The entire concept of lawns is relatively recent and its origins have a lot more to do with class distinction than with actual aesthetics.

People are into lawns rather than native landscaping because it's a cultural tradition they've been told they should be into. It took about a generation for them to catch on for middle-class homes, and it would probably only take that amount of time to get rid of them.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Good job missing the post you made after that...also, as I keep saying you're using a cultural definition of what "lush" is. To someone used to trees and flowers, green lawns don't look as lush.

Why are fruits and flowers colorful? Because they have evolved to attract various animals (bees, mammals, etc.) and to get eaten by them so that the pollens and seeds spread.

This is the exact reason why humans find bright colors appealing. We have evolved to detect and become attracted to them because it helped us survive and thrive in the otherwise barren African savannah back in the day.

Native landscaping doesn't look as pleasant because it is designed to fit in to the rest of the environment (which is often times nowhere as green or bright), rather than stick out.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I think there's a tipping point where people have seen enough pretty xeriscaped yards that they take their prettiness for granted. I'm driving around the suburbs (Alameda de las Pulgas around Menlo Park/RWC/San Carlos/) and seeing almost all lawns either xeriscaped or brown. My seat-of-the-pants is that there are at least 10% xeriscaped now. Our bedroom window overhears many conversations in the next door house -- thanks, ancient zoning with no setbacks -- and I overheard a potential buyer wondering, "Why doesn't anybody water their lawns around here?" Welcome to California, enjoy your drought.

Newspaper articles are saying that xeriscaping and plastic-lawn businesses are making money hand over fist and have long waiting lists.

Is it definite that there'll be a weed-legalization proposition next fall? I'm asking for a friend.

e: "Why are fruits and flowers colorful? Because they have evolved to attract various animals (bees, mammals, etc.) and to get eaten by them so that the pollens and seeds spread."
Which would explain why all native vegetation in the Southwest is extinct. Speaking as a gardener, there are tons of unimproved plants that have blooms and seeds that are green, or at most a pale yellow-green. Many (most?) of the garden plants you see have been bred over hundreds of years to improve the blooms.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 23, 2015

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

enraged_camel posted:

Why are fruits and flowers colorful? Because they have evolved to attract various animals (bees, mammals, etc.) and to get eaten by them so that the pollens and seeds spread.

This is the exact reason why humans find bright colors appealing. We have evolved to detect and become attracted to them because it helped us survive and thrive in the otherwise barren African savannah back in the day.

Native landscaping doesn't look as pleasant because it is designed to fit in to the rest of the environment (which is often times nowhere as green or bright), rather than stick out.

If a biological fondness for color was really the reason behind everyone's decision to plant turf grass, then everyone's lawns would be nothing but rows and rows of rosebushes.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

I did grow up in Hawaii and one of my favorite things about california is the brown.

They look like suede.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Ron Jeremy posted:

I did grow up in Hawaii and one of my favorite things about california is the brown.

They look like suede.

California Brown.... ...Jerry Brown.. CONNECT THE DOTS PEOPLE.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
"Humans are genetically evolved to be attracted to something that doesn't exist in nature" --an idiot

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A garden of native california plants can be gorgeous and pretty year round and a lot more attractive to the eye than a lawn. That said, the argument about acculturation is kind of beside the point because basically we can't afford to waste our water on inappropriate landscaping any more so who cares what's more attractive? People should switch to less water-intensive gardening because it's the right thing to do. And then from that standpoint, they can pick whatever form of garden or yard or whatever they prefer, from among the low-water options.

It's quite similar to making a decision to own and drive a car that gets better fuel economy. It costs you less and it's better for the environment to boot. It means you shouldn't do a 2-hour daily commute in an SUV getting 18 MPG even if you can afford to and even if humans have evolved to naturally prefer to drive an overpriced luxury truck with offroad capabilities they will never use.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

e_angst posted:

If a biological fondness for color was really the reason behind everyone's decision to plant turf grass, then everyone's lawns would be nothing but rows and rows of rosebushes.

Somebody's been spying on my front yard again... the lawn strip is 3 feet wide and shrinking.

e: And yeah, that's not xeriscaping. The back yard is on a drip system, and I can't afford to replace the old-fashioned sprinkler system in the front, although I've cut back the number of days a week it runs. Next year I'm going to go ahead and install the lower-water-use sprinkler heads that I can get at a reduced price from my county.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 23, 2015

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"Humans are genetically evolved to be attracted to something that doesn't exist in nature" --an idiot

I hate lawns as much as the next guy, but to claim that greenery and flowers don't exist in nature is loving stupid. Flowers evolved as a signal to insects, but they also signal to other animals (including humans) that an area is fertile. That we've since started breeding plants to exaggerate the features that we like is hardly an argument against the idea that we like them!

Cross-cultural studies (in various fields like psychology, landscape design, and art) have shown an innate preference for a savannah-like appearance with blue and green being the preferred colors - that is, most people across the world prefer open grassy areas with clusters of green trees. Browner plants, dense scrub, and desert-like environments are less preferred, even by people raised in such an environment.

Lawns may be a culturally specific manifestation of this preference, but the preference exists. That doesn't mean we can't get people to change, to find beauty in other types of landscaping; it just means a bit more effort is required.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If only one of the native biomes of California was Oak Savannah or something....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

If only one of the native biomes of California was Oak Savannah or something....
Yeah, this. I was coming in to say that if you look at actual pictures of savannahs, most of them aren't green year-round.