Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ekster posted:

I guess killing is only bad if the NPC has a name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGOVbXF7Iog&feature=youtu.be&t=1m6s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Adam Bowen posted:

That kind of stuff owns and makes me want to play some asscreed but then I remember how bad the actual games are

That's sort of Ubisoft's trademark: make visually appealing and ostensibly cool game premises... and then neglect literally everything else.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Love Stole the Day posted:

That's sort of Ubisoft's trademark: make visually appealing and ostensibly cool game premises... and then neglect literally everything else.

Rayman is good.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I haven't played an American Football game in like 10 years is there a particular year that is best relative to Xbone? I remember that some years were bad.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Baron Porkface posted:

I haven't played an American Football game in like 10 years is there a particular year that is best relative to Xbone? I remember that some years were bad.

Dust off your 360 or PS3 and get NCAA 14.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Love Stole the Day posted:

i really feel like Ubisoft doesn't really get a fair shake, their AAA games can be huge steaming piles, but off the beaten path is stuff like Rayman, Child of Light, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Trackmania, and Blood Dragon. They just get lumped in with EA and Acti because of Uplay, which is terrible, but easily circumvented.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

rayman and CoL are ubiart. having one tiny good studio/engine isn't praiseworthy for a company the size of ubi.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

No Such Thing posted:

i really feel like Ubisoft doesn't really get a fair shake, their AAA games can be huge steaming piles, but off the beaten path is stuff like Rayman, Child of Light, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Trackmania, and Blood Dragon. They just get lumped in with EA and Acti because of Uplay, which is terrible, but easily circumvented.

Ubisoft was a relatively niche French developer until the PS2 era when they hit a grand slam with the Prince of Persia remake and ditched the old rainbow logo and became one of the big dogs. As much as people complain as :butt::butt:in's Creed and their other open-world games they all sell well and are still popular after almost a decade of sequels so I can't really blame them for continuing to churn them out, if anything the fact that they have Ubiart to keep their weird arty French games getting made by their devs in between AAA titles puts them way ahead of a lot of other big soulless sequel factories.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Their games release broken and full of dlc. they are at least warner bros. poo poo tier and just as creatively bankrupt

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
ubisoft is a far cry from a good studio

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm actually looking forward to FarCry Primal.

A good Ice Age beast killing game is sorely needed because Monster Hunter X isn't out yet.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Adam Bowen posted:

ubisoft is a far cry from a good studio

lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
mass effect 4 and far cry cavemen will both actually probably be really fuckin good

like i know it's rad to spend your whole time at the record store flipping through obscure krautrock but you gotta keep in mind some bands that are on major labels and sell a lot of records are there because they are actually pretty good music

kinda weird to see the same exact rockism vs. poptimism crap when nerds talk about da video games

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm actually looking forward to FarCry Primal.

A good Ice Age beast killing game is sorely needed because Monster Hunter X isn't out yet.

itll be terrible and people will say how could we have known, it was so unforeseeable

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I hope ME4 is good. For all the flaws the series has, the developers managed to build a very interesting universe and from a gameplay standpoint, combat got better with each iteration.

I'm just not placing any bets when we haven't seen a ton yet.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

bloodychill posted:

I hope ME4 is good. For all the flaws the series has, the developers managed to build a very interesting universe and from a gameplay standpoint, combat got better with each iteration.

I'm just not placing any bets when we haven't seen a ton yet.

I kind of hope that it isn't like the original trilogy where there's a set Big Bad that the games are building towards confronting and defeating, the big overarching threat was arguably the weakest part of the story what led to the most disappointment with ME3.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

precision posted:

mass effect 4 and far cry cavemen will both actually probably be really fuckin good

like i know it's rad to spend your whole time at the record store flipping through obscure krautrock but you gotta keep in mind some bands that are on major labels and sell a lot of records are there because they are actually pretty good music

kinda weird to see the same exact rockism vs. poptimism crap when nerds talk about da video games

And some major label acts are just boring poo poo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
in this scenario, Call of Duty is post-Zooropa U2

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I find it strange that PS4 buyers are the only people who are spending money on videogames compared to the other two systems and their buyers.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

I kind of hope that it isn't like the original trilogy where there's a set Big Bad that the games are building towards confronting and defeating, the big overarching threat was arguably the weakest part of the story what led to the most disappointment with ME3.

Yep. The trailer had some space western vibe, so I hope they really lay into that more.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Holy poo poo

I didn't even have 7.62 Hard Life, a fan made improvement to 7.62 High Caliber,, on my radar and then all of a sudden it hits.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

The Taint Reaper posted:

Welp Bioware is making the real no bullshit redone and fixed retcon mass Effect 3 ending day 1 DLC for mass Effect 4.

Call my taint reaped if you must, but you really deserve to be dropkicked for this incomprehensible mishmash of words.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

precision posted:

I could understand if you were making this argument based on actually released games but based on future releases? Ehh. Ubi never made an actual melee game which is a difficult feat in itself and they decide to turn a game known for guns into one. This just looks like it will be yet another example of wasted potential, popular series name or not.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

precision posted:

or maybe it's just that people eventually get sick of the major tropes and structures used and abused by the mainstream stuff

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I will never get tired of sexy ladies appearing in my videogames.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

precision posted:

hmmm, yeah

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Some AAA games are good, but many are not. Some indie games are good, but many are not.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

there are bad games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

kalstrams posted:

there are bad games

And they're largely made by western developers.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

counterpoint: the entire final fantasy series

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

counterpoint: the entire final fantasy series

The only bad final fantasy game is XII, because it plays like World of Warcraft.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wasn't final fantasy 14 the one that was so bad that they had to do a remake of it

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

raditts posted:

Wasn't final fantasy 14 the one that was so bad that they had to do a remake of it

That's every Final Fantasy game. Except they do lovely remakes only to make more money.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

raditts posted:

yeha but they did a rly good job remaking it and its a hugely profitable title now

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

raditts posted:

final fantasy 14 was so bad at release, one big stock holder that was also a ff fan sold all his stocks over it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Paladinus posted:

Some AAA games are good, but many are not. Some indie games are good, but many are not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon's_law

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I believe that all games are good by nature but are corrupted by their environments.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Games are actually fallen in nature and only saved by Christ

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

I believe that all games are good by nature but are corrupted by their environments.

Don't listen to this left-wing liberal hippie garbage.

Some games are just born bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Some games are the result of two developers getting a hotel room and forgetting the condoms.

• Locked thread