Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kanuck
Aug 27, 2004

I must remember to follow my own advice.

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Coordination between them is amazing. Not even kidding. Unless there's a way to gravity-drop the fork on the small forklift.

Lowering on a forklift is gravity powered. It just opens the hydraulic valves and lets the load drop itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Placid Marmot posted:

That's 10% of the weakest source measured by the author of the Android/iPhone app (not sure about the iPhone-only one), and not only that, but the uranium itself decays by alpha emission, which phones can't detect. There are beta emissions in the decay chain but the range of energies of beta particles that phones will detect is variable, and may be zero, depending whose opinion you trust. In any case, you would have to calibrate the phone to the background level and then leave it against the glass for probably an hour or so to be sure that the reading is above background, but the app is like $3.50, so it's not a big risk to find out and show off to your friends.

How the hell do these even work? Do they look at the phone camera's CCD with the shutter closed and look for pixels being triggered anyway and figure that a pixel that's seeing anything must be seeing ionizing radiation?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

mostlygray posted:

I almost lost a finger thanks to forgetting about my wedding ring once.

Tell us more about your abusive wife :allears:

In our industrial area, fall arrest is needed once you are six feet above a work surface. Sometimes I feel like it's a bit extreme, but then I pop over to Michigan and it's not even required before 30ft :catstare: and I've seen some dicey rear end poo poo. Makes me appreciate our over protective petro-chemical industry a bit.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Phanatic posted:

How the hell do these even work? Do they look at the phone camera's CCD with the shutter closed and look for pixels being triggered anyway and figure that a pixel that's seeing anything must be seeing ionizing radiation?
Pretty much. It's a CMOS sensor (rather than CCD) and phones don't really have shutters (they just ignore the sensor when not reading it), so you have to physically block off the camera with something opaque to light like electrical tape. Without any light the signal from the sensor should just be thermal background noise, if you get a signal above that level you can infer it's due to radiation. With some calibration you can maybe get order-of-magnitude accuracy?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Phanatic posted:

That's exactly the case, except they camera is a CMOS sensor, not CCD*. Incoming gamma rays will interact via compton scattering in order to impart energy somewhere in the sensor, which may trigger a subpixel (or something else). However, this is effect entirely dependent on the incident angle of the radiation. Beta radiation can be detected more easily , but is also stopped fairly easily by plastic, wood, water, and even just air (so, you are very unlikely to see any background beta rays). Poor alpha radiation is blocked by the piece of paper you put in front of the lens, so you won't see that. And neutron radiation? haha gently caress that poo poo, nope nope nope

*By their very nature as arrays of silicon capacitors, CCD sensors make way better radiation sensors---or at the least, they are way more sensitive to CCD. They are also perfect for spectroscopy.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Sockington posted:

or husband

e: definitely husband.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sockington posted:

In our industrial area, fall arrest is needed once you are six feet above a work surface. Sometimes I feel like it's a bit extreme, but then I pop over to Michigan and it's not even required before 30ft :catstare: and I've seen some dicey rear end poo poo. Makes me appreciate our over protective petro-chemical industry a bit.
Well to be fair, 6ft fall protection is often safety theater because all that's available is rip stitch or a cheap yo-yo you could expect to add several feet to the lanyard, so you need to be paying attention to the anchor point if you want it to do anything.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

"Don't fall or the president will be disappointed."

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAhq_A4EbkE

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

zedprime posted:

Well to be fair, 6ft fall protection is often safety theater because all that's available is rip stitch or a cheap yo-yo you could expect to add several feet to the lanyard, so you need to be paying attention to the anchor point if you want it to do anything.

Oh no, we get to carry a dual self retracting lanyard setup that only has 6' lanyards inside the SRL. We're beyond safe :supaburn:

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Sockington posted:

Five feet here also anything over four feet needs to have hand rails around it.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
hosed up your welder? No problem!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTKQNsd1T18

Also it's a toss-up whether to post it here or the Russia thread.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

That went a lot better than I was expecting.

And where is this Russia thread?

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

flosofl posted:

That went a lot better than I was expecting.

And where is this Russia thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3693953

It's really spectacular.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Is good arc welding technique when welder has shakes because vodka is gone.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The AI forums is full of pictures of way worse welds than that done by people with functional equipment.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

OSHA thread: here is your chance to prevent stupidity in the real world. My boss, a legislator, is being petitioned by a lady who wants him to back her bill about wifi and cellphone radiation killing us all. She cites the Bioinitiative Report a lot. Could I get a solid docket of simple, layman-speak language about why this is bullshit?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

OSHA thread: here is your chance to prevent stupidity in the real world. My boss, a legislator, is being petitioned by a lady who wants him to back her bill about wifi and cellphone radiation killing us all. She cites the Bioinitiative Report a lot. Could I get a solid docket of simple, layman-speak language about why this is bullshit?

Radio waves can't melt grey mater

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

What kind of utopia are you living in where he is considering things on their scientific merit. Either he needs the loony demographic, or he doesn't.

EMR is rough for laymen, there's not a lot in between just accepting most EMR as too weak to be ionizing, and a beefier digest on EMR like a college physics textbook, or god forbid wikipedia.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I bet someone in the pseudoscience thread could help you out.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3100175

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

"Radiation" from wi-fi and cellphones have a frequency of 10^10 Hz, Visible light 10^15 Hz, and X-Rays 10^20 Hz. The energy of the light is directly proportional to the frequency. We worry about X-Rays hurting our bodies and rightly so because they have high energy and high frequency. Wi-Fi and Cellphones have less than one-billionth the energy a microwave has, and almost a millionth the energy visible light has. There is no reason to worry about wifi and cellphone radiation unless you are already living in a cave deep underground with no sources of light.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The modern medical community (ie actual doctors and scientists, and not "I have a degree in Homeopathy!") does not consider "electromagnetic hypersensitivity" to be a real thing, as there is no evidence to support it.

http://ec.europa.eu/health/scientific_committees/emerging/docs/scenihr_o_041.pdf

quote:

Health effects from Radiofrequency (RF) EMF
Overall, the epidemiological studies on mobile phone RF EMF exposure do not show an
increased risk of brain tumours. Furthermore, they do not indicate an increased risk for
other cancers of the head and neck region. Some studies raised questions regarding an
increased risk of glioma and acoustic neuroma in heavy users of mobile phones. The
results of cohort and incidence time trend studies do not support an increased risk for
glioma while the possibility of an association with acoustic neuroma remains open.
Epidemiological studies do not indicate increased risk for other malignant diseases,
including childhood cancer.

http://www.who.int/peh-emf/about/WhatisEMF/en/index1.html

quote:

Conclusions from scientific research
In the area of biological effects and medical applications of non-ionizing radiation approximately 25,000 articles have been published over the past 30 years. Despite the feeling of some people that more research needs to be done, scientific knowledge in this area is now more extensive than for most chemicals. Based on a recent in-depth review of the scientific literature, the WHO concluded that current evidence does not confirm the existence of any health consequences from exposure to low level electromagnetic fields.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/ems.html

quote:

In 2009, the Swedish Radiation Protection Authority noted:

There is no evidence that RF [radiofrequency] exposure is a causal factor. In a number of experimental provocation studies, persons who consider themselves electrically hypersensitive and healthy volunteers have been exposed to either sham or real RF fields, but symptoms have not been more prevalent during RF exposure than during sham in any of the experimental groups. Several studies have indicated a nocebo effect, i.e. an adverse effect caused by an expectation that something is harmful. Associations have been found between self-reported exposure and the outcomes, whereas no associations were seen with measured RF exposure [2].

And here's a specific article going after the "Bioinitiative Report":
https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/picking-cherries-in-science-the-bio-initiative-report/

quote:

The BIR has long been criticized by health agencies for slant. In its devastating review of the original 2007 version,8 the Health Council of the Netherlands concluded:

“In view of the way the BioInitiative report was compiled, the selective use of scientific data and the other shortcomings mentioned above, the Committee concludes that the BioInitiative report is not an objective and balanced reflection of the current state of scientific knowledge. Therefore, the report does not provide any grounds for revising the current views as to the risks of exposure to electromagnetic fields.”

The same weaknesses are still present in the 2012 version, which moreover does not address the criticisms of the Health Council of the Netherlands or other expert groups.

It takes only a glance at Verschaeve’s article1 to realize how far out of line the BIR is with assessments of the issue by mainstream agencies. Of the more than 30 reviews that he considered, all but one did not “consider that there is a demonstrated health risk from RF-exposure from mobile telephones and other wireless communication devices.” The single exception was the BioInitiative report, which Verschaeve judged to be by far the weakest of the group of reports that he considered.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Phanatic posted:

The AI forums is full of pictures of way worse welds than that done by people with functional equipment.

Yeah I'm impressed by that weld. It's so clean!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

wwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

quote:

while intoxicated from intranasal cocaine administration

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Why die alone when you can traumatize someone too!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

His butthole had stubborn rust stains that a simple anal bleaching just wasn't fixing.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

This is an actual legit welding technique that's essentially extinct, I've actually been looking for a good video of it forever but have never been able to find one so thanks for posting it.

It's called firecracker welding and was developed for shipbuilding in the 1960s. You lay the electrode over the joint, hold it in position with a grooved copper bar/block, stick one clamp on the electrode and the other on the workpiece, and use something (bit of steel wool, say) to start the arc between the far end of the rod and the piece. The idea is that, if all you have to do is lots and lots of identical horizontal-position butt welds, a single low-skill operator can do the work of multiple more experienced welders- once the arc is sparked it'll eat its way along and go out with no user intervention. All the operator has to do is the setup/teardown/initial arcing, which lets them have multiple rods being lain down at any given time with no significant stoppage.

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah I'm impressed by that weld. It's so clean!
Apparently firecracker welding makes for extremely clean joins by stick standards 'cause the whole bead goes down all at once with the electrode in the 100% ideal position with zero human-error-factor introduced, ifffff the set-up is right. And getting the set-up right can be really hard, judging by a lot of the exploratory experiments i've seen people post online. I guess those rooskies nailed the proper current for the rod n metal thickness on the first try.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 20, 2015

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Leperflesh posted:

I like being able to click to somewhat-embiggen, or click the little size label to toally-embiggen, both in-place rather than in a new tab or navigating to imgur, though.

Today I saw an elderly man wandering around on his peaked roof blowing leaves off with a leaf blower. He had no safety equipment whatsoever, and appeared to be alone.

My roof has like an 8 degree slope on both sides and I still put on a harness when I go up there to blow leaves.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

HEY NONG MAN posted:

My roof has like an 8 degree slope on both sides and I still put on a harness when I go up there to blow leaves.

I should probably do that when I'm removing branches. I mostly do a maintain-three-points-of-contact crab-walk even though it's a single floor ranch.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

As far as saws go they're very safe 'cause they pull the work down against the table. I'm much more comfortable working around bandsaws than table/chop saws et al

Bandsaws are somewhat safe because of what you said, but I regard them as being less safe in that they WILL cut your arm or head off without hesitating if you have one with any kind of momentum-storing wheel (which they basically all seem to above a certain size).

I've seen a guy catch his hand on a circular table saw blade and while it did gently caress the end of his thumb up a bit, it threw his hand away preventing deeper damage. I think table/circular saws are instinctively scarier because it's a big spinny, noisy blade whereas a bandsaw seems nice and quiet and gentle, but I think you're far more likely to actually accidentally amputate something with a bandsaw accident.

The guy who caught his thumb was OK. Had to have a few stiches and a bandage for a month or so but as far as I know it healed up fine and is a bit scarred but functionally fine. It was probably something like a 300mm diameter ripsaw blade.

In any case, I work at a joinery, and I used radial-arm saws, bandsaws, ripsaws, mitre (chop) saws and skillsaws regularly for 5 years without incident, and I've worked a further 8 years in the office now, and in all that time (with around 15 workshop employees) there have only been 2 injuries I know of involving circular or band saws - the one I already mentioned plus another one where a friend of the owner who was not a trained joiner was using a ripsaw incorrectly and got his finger fully impaled by a nice big oak splinter due to kickback while ripping a board with really small piece (10-15mm?) between the saw and fence, which is something you shouldn't do because it causes kickbacks. Again, he was fine afterwards but it looked pretty painful at the time. So long as you know what you're doing and treat them with respect, you're pretty safe. gently caress that guy with the chicken though. Accident waiting to happen.

I think the worst injury we've had was when a large conservatory gable frame fell on the painter's head when a hanging hook pulled out of the timber while he was lifting it. He was concussed and had a week or two off work. Another guy broke his thumb when he knocked over some big iron sash clamps and tried to catch them. So yeah, heavy stuff is more dangerous than saws.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

18 Character Limit posted:

I'd ask what the hell you're keeping around your house, but then I look at your avatar and get distracted by China Syndrome youtube clips again.

Just this little sugar dish.

It's only about 5x-8x background. But I don't use it for serving food. I keep the meter suppressed so it doesn't beep below 0.2uS/H. I think the meter maxes out at 999uS an hour. I think that over 5000mS is around the "fatal dose" area.

That reading is 1.16uS/Hr. For comparison that girl who went through The Zone took readings on this graphite crane claw of over 750uS/Hr.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 21, 2015

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Ambrose Burnside posted:

This is an actual legit welding technique that's essentially extinct, I've actually been looking for a good video of it forever but have never been able to find one so thanks for posting it.

It's called firecracker welding and was developed for shipbuilding in the 1960s. You lay the electrode over the joint, hold it in position with a grooved copper bar/block, stick one clamp on the electrode and the other on the workpiece, and use something (bit of steel wool, say) to start the arc between the far end of the rod and the piece. The idea is that, if all you have to do is lots and lots of identical horizontal-position butt welds, a single low-skill operator can do the work of multiple more experienced welders- once the arc is sparked it'll eat its way along and go out with no user intervention. All the operator has to do is the setup/teardown/initial arcing, which lets them have multiple rods being lain down at any given time with no significant stoppage.

Apparently firecracker welding makes for extremely clean joins by stick standards 'cause the whole bead goes down all at once with the electrode in the 100% ideal position with zero human-error-factor introduced, ifffff the set-up is right. And getting the set-up right can be really hard, judging by a lot of the exploratory experiments i've seen people post online. I guess those rooskies nailed the proper current for the rod n metal thickness on the first try.

Yeah, I'm sure those welds will pass xray tests (I hope they didn't use that type of welding on anything load bearing or structural)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Looks much better than the welds I did in shop class. (Being scared of the arc welder back then probably didn't help.)

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Yeah, I'm sure those welds will pass xray tests (I hope they didn't use that type of welding on anything load bearing or structural)

I don't see any reason they wouldn't if performed properly, same as any other weld.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I don't see any reason they wouldn't if performed properly, same as any other weld.

a 240p video from russian cameramen isn't evidence that the weld is good

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
no watch to the end they bang it on the floor and everything.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Found a similar one:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Hot Karl Marx posted:

a 240p video from russian cameramen isn't evidence that the weld is good

oh well that particular weld, yeah, probably not, no, i just meant the technique itself is sound, if sufficiently weird and specialized that nobody bothers with it

• Locked thread