Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

I mean... The monster is much prettier. There are also a ton of them up with 10-20k miles at the 3k price point.

Is this a terrible idea? Because it makes me want to do it in a way that terrible ideas usually make me want to do things.

I'd rather get a super Duke. Sigh. So... So much engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/mcy/5256066611.html

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

kylej posted:

Agreed with other posters recommending Super Duke. It looks like a cute adventure bike without a windscreen.

It looks like they ran out of frames at the factory , so they bolted the motor on to some lighting scaffolding and called it a day.

Horn of Arby's
May 30, 2004
what? no catfood?

Coydog posted:

I missed this. I feel like you have one of those perfect situations for a grom, where want and need are intertwined. Because of this, you really should get one. The problem is, every grom owner trying to sell their regret purchase because they are bad with money and wanted the grom to be what it wasn't, can die in a fire.

On the flip side, you should really try to hunt down a pregen ninja. Personally, I think they are the most fun thing, and will be very rewarding for you. Don't spend a ton on a newer ninja, unless you just don't like money.

I do like money, (un)fortunately. However, Motorcycle class isn't until December, so I have some time to wait for something to pop up.

...but I'm still checking out that later Ninja next week.

Or, you know, Super Duke.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

velocross posted:

:captainpop:

Wait, so she was against the "ninja", but "monster" is good to go? Or is it because it says ~Ducati~?
Loud valves save lives

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Fishvilla posted:

I mean... The monster is much prettier. There are also a ton of them up with 10-20k miles at the 3k price point.

If you want something pretty that's manageable for a beginner, get a Buell XB9s.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Things I've learned in the last few days:

My wife is not rational about motorcycles.

Getting my wife excited (by showing her cute motorcycles and jackets) makes her more willing to listen to explanations on motorcycles and why certain things are safer than others.

She still hates ninjas. I even tried to trick her by showing her a 'naked ex250' and she thought it looked ugly and dangeous. :eyeroll:

Despite that, a Ducati Monster was acceptable. She even sent me a CL link for a Penigale, a Triumph Sprint RS, and a 1200cc cruiser.

She loves the SuperDukes. She also was on the edge of just telling me to get a Duke RC390. I don't even...

We settled on a Bonneville. A family friend owns a Triumph Dealership in rural Iowa, and I've always had a crush on them. We found one for cheap, and are thinking that'll be the ticket once we see it in person.

tl:dr Ninja 250s are deathtraps, Superdukes are fine, per Mrs. Fishvilla.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Fishvilla posted:

We settled on a Bonneville. A family friend owns a Triumph Dealership in rural Iowa, and I've always had a crush on them. We found one for cheap, and are thinking that'll be the ticket once we see it in person.

Obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsKFsce5phw

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Dude you just got the OK to buy a SuperDuke. Come and join the orange party bro.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Cycle Asylum > "Tell me what bike to buy!" "Ninja 250 or SuperDuke"

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fishvilla posted:

She loves the SuperDukes.

A much safer bike than a Ninja 250. I think you know what you have to do.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Fishvilla posted:

Cycle Asylum > "Tell me what bike to buy!" "Ninja 250 or SuperDuke"

Cycle Asylum > "Tell me what bike to buy!" "Ninja 250 is too dangerous, better get a SuperDuke!"

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
My wife and I have been married for 15 years and she never once said to me "Don't get a Triumph Thruxton: it reminds me of when the babies had thrush. Don't get a B-King because I am now a vegetarian and therefore hate hamburgers. Don't get a Desmosedici RR because how do you even pronouce that?"

She said "Don't be stupid." and "Please be careful."

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

captainOrbital posted:

That reminds me, every time I leave for a ride my wife says, "Drive safely." I always want to correct her to ride safe but get superstitious that since I haven't gotten hurt so far the first time she changes it up is when I'll end up in an ambulance.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Fishvilla posted:

Things I've learned in the last few days:

My wife is not rational about motorcycles.

Getting my wife excited (by showing her cute motorcycles and jackets) makes her more willing to listen to explanations on motorcycles and why certain things are safer than others.

She still hates ninjas. I even tried to trick her by showing her a 'naked ex250' and she thought it looked ugly and dangeous. :eyeroll:

Despite that, a Ducati Monster was acceptable. She even sent me a CL link for a Penigale, a Triumph Sprint RS, and a 1200cc cruiser.

You know you're not supposed to stick your dick in crazy, let alone put a ring on it, right?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Koruthaiolos posted:

That reminds me, every time I leave for a ride my wife says, "Drive safely." I always want to correct her to ride safe but get superstitious that since I haven't gotten hurt so far the first time she changes it up is when I'll end up in an ambulance.

I ended up putting it on a piece of gorilla tape near my dashboard but I should have taped it to the dashboard of the lady who ended up hitting me. The only problem is I had no idea who she was until she hit me.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

I agree with everything that has been said in this thread.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Your wife has the reasoning and rational of a politician, and it brings me no end of amusement (because I don't have to deal with it). I'm sure she is very nice. Get the superduke.

If the Superduke was 11k, I'd finance one in a fit of blind desire. At 20k I just can't even imagine it as a poor student. By the time I can afford one, they will no longer be cool or good to have. :( The white/orange frame, and also every other thing about it, is amazing.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

captainOrbital posted:

My wife and I have been married for 15 years and she never once said to me "Don't get a Triumph Thruxton: it reminds me of when the babies had thrush. Don't get a B-King because I am now a vegetarian and therefore hate hamburgers. Don't get a Desmosedici RR because how do you even pronouce that?"

Dez-moe-said-eee-chee

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Wirth1000 posted:

Look at all that engine...

The Gift

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
This would be perfectly rideable, right? Just no ABS? http://topeka.craigslist.org/mcy/5269558404.html

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Depends which ABS system it is. I'd do a test ride and make sure it all feels normal, but that is a good price if it's fully functional with only a broken pre-iABS system.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Edit gently caress wrong thread

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 17, 2015

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Fishvilla posted:

Crazy Wife Update.

She wants me to get a Ducati Monster 620 or 696 instead.

That is all.

I own a 696. Sick bike, but I wouldn't have wanted it for a first one. The default ergonomics are pretty dumb, the seat pushes you at a steep angle into the tank and turns your testicles into hamburger over every bump, the tank is slick plastic that you can't grip for poo poo, and - worst of all for a new rider - the throttle is snatchy as hell and has a habit of responding like an idiot to every microscopic movement of your wrist, especially around corners where the road isn't perfect. This isn't such an issue in the twisties, but you said you live in an 'urban centre'. The thing *will* jump unexpectedly around slow corner and you *will* poo.

Also, it costs a buttload to maintain, and if you expect to be wrenching on it yourself then you are going to rapidly lose the will to live when you realise how little sense anything makes. It's not the most Italian bike in the world, but it is still an Italian bike. Tears of frustration are inevitable.

Bar risers (you're my height, and I found them beneficial), a 14-tooth front sprocket to help deal with the stupidly tall first gear (it bitches and moans if you try to take city corners in 2nd), a throttle tamer (I think a 14T and a tamer improves the bike enormously, but there is the psychological barrier of "did I really buy a Ducati to 'tame' it?"), and some Techspech grips make it a really spectacularly fun bike with a lot of charm. A nicer seat is an option I am currently seriously weighing up. But that is also a lot of faffing around for a first bike, and at the end of it all, though you might have a sweet sexy Doocahtee, it's just not that freaking great for a new rider. It's not terrible or anything, but you can do so much better if you want to learn to ride well.

If I was willing to spend the sort of money a good 620 or 696 goes for on a first bike, it'd be a CB400. I wouldn't even need to think about it. But I'd still say you're better off buying a Ninjette or a CBR250R or something and keeping some change in your pocket.

edit: I didn't see you'd settled on a Bonneville. Disregard, then.

But you still would have been better off with a Ninjette...

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 18, 2015

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
i've had a weird softspot for the Monster S2r series with the single sided swingarm and aircooled 800 or 1000cc engines

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

El Jebus posted:

Cycle Asylum > "Tell me what bike to buy!" "Ninja 250 is too dangerous, better get a SuperDuke!"

Cycle Asylum> What bike should I buy? Super Duke; Orange You Glad You Didn't Buy a Ninjette?

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Thanks for the lowdown on the 696. This is kind of what I expected with regards to the Monster. It's a beautiful bike, but the positioning, engine, and sportier handling seemed like it was moving the bike up one more degree away from the holy ninjette.

Chichevache posted:

Cycle Asylum> What bike should I buy? Super Duke; Orange You Glad You Didn't Buy a Ninjette?

That's my new favorite.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I wish people would call my ninja dangerous. The best I get is "That's a pretty quick scooter." and "When are you getting a grown up bike?".

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5250888935.html

Terrible option for a starter cycle? I got my M endorsement last year after taking the MSF class and have been itching to finally own a bike of my own, and the cooler weather has me really tempted... I am concerned about fit, I'm 6' and don't want to be all scrunched up although I felt fine on the Nighthawk I took the course on.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Not a great choice unless you like cruisers and never want to go on the freeway.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Laminator posted:

Terrible option for a starter cycle? I got my M endorsement last year after taking the MSF class and have been itching to finally own a bike of my own, and the cooler weather has me really tempted... I am concerned about fit, I'm 6' and don't want to be all scrunched up although I felt fine on the Nighthawk I took the course on.

If you are 6' you will probably feel scrunched up on it. Also, even for a starter, if you want/must have a cruiser you need to look for at least 750cc if not over a liter. They are really heavy bikes and even with big engines don't really feel like they have too much power. I started on a Sportster 1200 and am looking for more power now.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Laminator posted:

Abort.

If you really want a cruiser, do as El Jebus said.

If you want a bike that doesn't handle like a soggy cabbage, 6'0" on a Ninjette ain't no thing.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

El Jebus posted:

If you are 6' you will probably feel scrunched up on it. Also, even for a starter, if you want/must have a cruiser you need to look for at least 750cc if not over a liter. They are really heavy bikes and even with big engines don't really feel like they have too much power. I started on a Sportster 1200 and am looking for more power now.
That is a poo poo advise. Displacement is not a direct correlation of how much power a bike makes. Here is a 600cc cruiser that blows entire Harley lineup out of the water. http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/kawasaki/kawasaki_zl600_86.htm Also, "power" is the last fuckign thing a new rider needs to focus on.

Laminator posted:

GZ250 is a city bike, anything over 60mph is going to rough.
Suzuki S40 is a step up, but you may need to sit on all of these to see how do ergonomics work for you personally.
VS700-800 Intruder is a better Sportster made by Suzuki. Honda Shadow 600-750 is a great starter cruiser as well.
Vstar 650 is a decent cruiser geared for under 80mph, but otherwise very similar to Shadow

If you liked a Nighthawk, I suggest you look for one again, they come in many garden varieties and are excellent starter bikes. GS500 is another non-jetski looking bike that is easy to learn on.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 19, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Why do all the people who are 6' nothing think they're too big for most bikes? Congratulations, you're like an inch above average.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Why do all the people who are 6' nothing think they're too big for most bikes? Congratulations, you're like an inch above average.

Average height for a male in the US is just over 5'9". I don't think it's a most bikes scenario, just starter bikes. I have seen 6' guys on Rebel 250s and Ninja 250s and it definitely looks odd. It's still easily rideable though ergonomically speaking.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Why do all the normal sized people think dual sports are too tall for them? News flash, you don't need to touch the ground much to ride it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

rockcity posted:

Average height for a male in the US is just over 5'9". I don't think it's a most bikes scenario, just starter bikes. I have seen 6' guys on Rebel 250s and Ninja 250s and it definitely looks odd. It's still easily rideable though ergonomically speaking.

3 inches taller than average?!?! :monocle:Wow! I'm 6' nothing so I guess I'll just go ahead and call Guinness!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

clutchpuck posted:

Why do all the normal sized people think dual sports are too tall for them? News flash, you don't need to touch the ground much to ride it.

i dont' know, but i almost wish i was short so i could shut them up

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

i dont' know, but i almost wish i was short so i could shut them up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRFyw57o_Ic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

an inch over average is quite a big deal. :v:

that said I look like a wad of intestine on a cbr250 at 5'11".

My spouse gets mad at me when I show him this video. :D. he's an inch shorter than the guy riding the GS.