Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

kjetting posted:

Can someone more up to date on videogames summarize the whole Star Citizen controversy?

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc7ywfd1qe8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9iH4Gp11W4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNlWQ3s5Xc8

Scrotum Modem has a new favorite as of 01:47 on Oct 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

kjetting posted:

Can someone more up to date on videogames summarize the whole Star Citizen controversy?

This Summer...
Gary Oldman...
Is...
The Star Citizen.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

CJacobs posted:

They got almost a hundred million dollars in funding with the promise of being the most expansive space exploration space-sim-mmo-type game ever made. They WERE on course to do that, until they started expanding in the wrong direction and hosed everything up- instead of focusing on actually making a video game, they focused on marketing, paying their employees for work that was not done yet, and creating more incentives to buy and play the game than there was game to play. Basically they tried to build a house before building the framework and what people now speculate is because it was such a spectacular failure, they're basically just bumming away whatever money is left until they can poo poo out the most basic thing that fulfills the requirements they promised and be done with it.
You also missed the parts where Head Idea Guy Chris Roberts' wife won't hire black people; the connections to the Gizmondo debacle; that said wife, an aspiring actor, has been given high billing in the cast alongside Gimli, Scully, Luke Skywalker, and the bad guy from Kick-rear end despite the fact that literally no-one has ever heard of her; and the fact that the man who has tasked himself with destroying this bloated, over-promising-and-under-delivering space game that will never be finished is possibly the world's greatest expert in bloated, over-promising-and-under-delivering space games, Derek Smart.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

wit posted:

This is why I find Kickstarter loving fascinating. Its the hype and bad idea zone, but couldn't exist if it were just letting outright made-up bullshit happen. To get their cut they have to vet business ventures and decide if they're infeasible or blatantly abusing the model. A failed dipshit business that never got off the ground because you gave some deviant art guy a tonne of money but he has no idea how to conduct business is one thing. A wanker pretending to go through the motions of failure in a carefully contrived "The Producers" failure model like is another.

If you think about it, would you want to mod KS? That's a loving tightrope walk.

There were 22,252 successful KS projects in 2014. They don't say how many were launched in total but according to their historical data only about 35% of projects have ever been successful so we'd expect there were roughly 64,000 projects launched in 2014, or an average of 175 new projects every day. If each KS campaign lasted for a month there'd be an average of 5,250 live campaigns on any given day, most of which will be active in some way (only 4% of all KS projects received no pledges) and thus a potential risk of :siren:drama:siren: requiring staff moderation. Imagine having to moderate over 5,000 active projects every day, especially when most of them are being run by people who have very little experience in running a business, let alone an online business with set deadlines.

And those are just the 2014 stats so the 2015 stats are probably a fair amount higher. According to their stats page there are currently 5,998 live projects.

Of course those stats don't take into account the number of projects which are created and then rejected because they don't meet KS's criteria. There's no way of knowing how many of those come up every day but I'm betting there'd be a significant amount.

Last year backers pledged $529 million to KS projects which is an average of $1.4m per day or more than $1,000 per minute.

https://www.kickstarter.com/year/2014/data
https://www.kickstarter.com/help/stats

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There were 22,252 successful KS projects in 2014. They don't say how many were launched in total but according to their historical data only about 35% of projects have ever been successful so we'd expect there were roughly 64,000 projects launched in 2014, or an average of 175 new projects every day. If each KS campaign lasted for a month there'd be an average of 5,250 live campaigns on any given day, most of which will be active in some way (only 4% of all KS projects received no pledges) and thus a potential risk of :siren:drama:siren: requiring staff moderation. Imagine having to moderate over 5,000 active projects every day, especially when most of them are being run by people who have very little experience in running a business, let alone an online business with set deadlines.

And those are just the 2014 stats so the 2015 stats are probably a fair amount higher. According to their stats page there are currently 5,998 live projects.

Of course those stats don't take into account the number of projects which are created and then rejected because they don't meet KS's criteria. There's no way of knowing how many of those come up every day but I'm betting there'd be a significant amount.

Last year backers pledged $529 million to KS projects which is an average of $1.4m per day or more than $1,000 per minute.

https://www.kickstarter.com/year/2014/data
https://www.kickstarter.com/help/stats

How much of a cut does KS and amazon get out of that 500,000,000?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Autechresaint posted:

How much of a cut does KS and amazon get out of that 500,000,000?

Kickstarter takes 5% and their "payments processor" takes an additional 3 to 5%.

Note that they only take a cut of the successful projects, I think the $529m was total pledges and not successful pledges.

Edit: KS are pretty cagey about certain info on their stats page and they don't say how much the took in successful pledges but historically about 86% of the pledges made during the life of the site (in dollar amounts) were for successful projects. We can't know if their intake in 2014 was better or worse than 86% but if we assume it was at least in the ballpark then the total they took would have been $529m x 86% = $455m. KS's cut of that would be $22.7m and Amazon's cut would be somewhere between $13.6m and $22.7m.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 11:23 on Oct 16, 2015

simplyhorribul
Jul 30, 2013
Since there was talking about Ouyah!

I guess this project is not such masterpiece in its awfulness, but it's really hitting my "Preposterously pretentious"-buttons.

Solu - A new breed of computing

Which is basically a square cloud-computer where you keep paying, if you want to use it, because SaaS is the poo poo and all.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

simplyhorribul posted:

Since there was talking about Ouyah!

I guess this project is not such masterpiece in its awfulness, but it's really hitting my "Preposterously pretentious"-buttons.

Solu - A new breed of computing

Which is basically a square cloud-computer where you keep paying, if you want to use it, because SaaS is the poo poo and all.

"Solu is a powerful pocket computer, made from wood..."

:ughh:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bite my splintery wooden rear end.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dogwood Fleet posted:

"Solu is a powerful pocket computer, made from kindling..."

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Brings a whole new meaning to "debugging."

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

"we carved part of the device from real wood that's warm to the touch."

Warm to the touch? Yes, that's clearly a feature, not faulty thermal dissipation design.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Successful $1.5m 3D printer KS project fails to deliver 60% of pledge rewards

quote:

The Pirate3D Buccaneer raised a blockbuster $1.438M on June 29, 2013 — a record amount at the time. The first printers were supposed to ship to backers in February 2014. That didn’t happen. As of September 2014, only 200 products had shipped. And a year later, despite selling the product through retail channels, 60% of backers are still waiting.

quote:

The founders said in a note to Kickstarter backers that the company is sourcing new rounds of investment and found that investors want the new cash to only be used as working capital and not to fulfill previous obligations.
They say they're still planning on fulfilling all their pledge rewards but :shrug:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Cola-bawra-teev anything!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jayme39/mighty-mug-barware-stop-spilling-your-drink

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Thanks Obama!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

a $15 plastic cup. Or you could learn not to tip your booze directly onto your laptop like some sort of ham-handed idiot child.

E: with no reduction in price no matter how many you buy. place an order for 504 of the things and they're still $15 each. bargain.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

So it's just a plastic glass with a weighted foot?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Collateral Damage posted:

There's also some fancy suction cup.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Collateral Damage posted:

Nah, the bottom has some special suction cup or something that resists non-vertical movement. I got one of their mugs as a gift, and it much works well.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK has a new favorite as of 13:54 on Oct 16, 2015

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

They can also be found at any Bed Bath & Beyond in the world.

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I hope it's designed to withstand heavy weights and liquids, because that is a coaster. Look at it.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
The BBC also looked at Solu.

BBC posted:

one of the apps, a kind of stripped-down accounting program, appeared so desperately unintuitive that the company's chief operating officer, on stage to demonstrate how simple it was, ended up asking Lawson how to use it

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
But you can always knock on wood.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Sagacity posted:

"we carved part of the device from real wood that's warm to the touch."

Warm to the touch? Yes, that's clearly a feature, not faulty thermal dissipation design.

It's a hand-warming feature. It gets cold in Finland. :finland:

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
How to sell your sister for fun and profit

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

lol

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

quote:

Step 1: Make an attractive listing.
:yikes:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK-V-f0DYjw

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I know that this gif is meant to show that the mug is unbreakable or whatever, but it still looks pretty scuffed up and ruined after it's run over by the car:

what's the point of this kind of demonstration, it's dumb

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Gilganixon posted:

I know that this gif is meant to show that the mug is unbreakable or whatever, but it still looks pretty scuffed up and ruined after it's run over by the car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLnx5MovKxA

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kathy Lee ain't having none of it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Young Freud posted:

Kathy Lee ain't having none of it.

lol

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Came here to post this.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Gilganixon posted:

Run over your mug with your car, again? There's got to be a better way! Now you can!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Prop Wash posted:

Run over your mug with your car, again? There's got to be a better way! Now you can!

personally whenever i'm run over i immediately reach for my pint glass, only to find it broken. Thank goodness that's a thing of the past, now I can pick up my jacked up plastic cup and get the bartender to fill er up.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Noted Libertarian/FYGMer Eric S. Raymond has launched a gofundme to "cover personal costs like rent, food, and medical insurance" so that he can continue the work he "feels called to do" to "make sure your world keeps working." He asking for 20K to make sure the Internet keeps working and the world economy doesn't collapse.

https://www.gofundme.com/tz6pm8gd

"Though I'm a techie, I'm in a situation similar to a fine artist because the market has not figured out how to value and reward the work I feel called to do. Unlike most artists, it wouldn't be difficult for me to get a well-paid job - but then I'd have to work on what an employer wants, rather than what the world actually needs."

Something, something, free market...

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
To be fair, a lot of services that The Internet relies on are horribly broken. The authors of OpenSSL tried and failed to get sponsors for multiple years until finally someone found an exploit and all hell broke loose.

OTOH Raymond is a bit of a dick so I'm not sure what to do.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sagacity posted:

To be fair, a lot of services that The Internet relies on are horribly broken. The authors of OpenSSL tried and failed to get sponsors for multiple years until finally someone found an exploit and all hell broke loose.

OTOH Raymond is a bit of a dick so I'm not sure what to do.

It's more that he's a dyed in the wool libertarian and he doesn't appreciate the irony of having to ask for other peoples money to good public good as the market is failing to deal with these issues itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Oh right, I forgot about that. Well, let's see if he manages to scrape together more than the $170 he has gotten in pledges so far.