Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

OwlFancier posted:

One would wonder what the point of interior turrets are if they can't target human sized objects.

Are boarding drones a thing yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
That's a good point, I thought the spiders were smaller than they were but I just took a second look at that shadow.

Maybe they swarm like all good Australian spiders?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

McGiggins posted:

That's a good point, I thought the spiders were smaller than they were but I just took a second look at that shadow.

Maybe they swarm like all good Australian spiders?

Does not compute.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

counterfeitsaint posted:

Does not compute.

If they're going for skittering man-sized bugs, its pretty much a safe bet that they'll come in swarms. The fun part of my drop-turrets is they have both a general alert light on top and directional ones to give a rough idea of which direction the detected threat is in, so I'll know Fun is coming if multiple directions are lit and the audible alarm keeps sounding...

I should probably put cameras facing each cardinal direction on them though, so you dont have to go out to check in-person just what is setting one off.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Protip:
If you haven't made a giant oil rig design on stilts for your planetary base with always-active thrusters encircling all the legs, you haven't adequately prepared for spider season.

Putting it in the middle of one of those fancy lakes would also probably help.

E: Hopefully spiders don't move/spawn like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7vG8Kw-l9s

With your base being the base of that tree.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 19, 2015

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

My base is in the middle of an asteroid. :gonk:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I actually finally found a a decent Battleship on the Workshop (that wasn't either tiny, or had all of three guns) to smash against mine for a bit of broadside fun. It's the Yggdrasil BattleCruiser for the curious.

That's in Survival Mode, incidentally. I just wish Mexpex would fix the textureless Heavy Defense Turret shells in DX11 :sigh:.

It was a wee bit broken when I stopped the fight. Its own Mk.3 guns stopped firing because the Avalon's just gutted the connections inside.

Its Shields last all of two seconds when this much firepower's involved (I know from watching my turrets just murder eachother before I fixed that), but the armor and AA turrets worked at least., along with the new ribs. The side-mounted turrets lost were pretty much expected, and the worst of it was some internal denting in Engineering.

HardDisk posted:

My base is in the middle of an asteroid. :gonk:

Just keep telling yourself that clinking sound is just debris banging on the outer hull. Repeatedly in a pattern.. In lots of little patterns moving towards the airlock door...

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I got a ship stuck on Autopilot. I can't manually control it.

-Grinding the cockpit off didn't work
-It doesn't have a remote control
-Adding a remote control and toggling it didn't work
-Adding a RC and adding waypoints and telling it to go didn't work

This ship simply WILL NOT MOVE :byodood:

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I have that problem, copied the ship and it still won't move but the autopilot notice vanished. Unfortunately I only noticed it after cleaning up the blueprint for it so I lost all earlier stages.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
The autopilot thing seems to be a bug. Only solution is to restart the game (as I've found).

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just keep telling yourself that clinking sound is just debris banging on the outer hull. Repeatedly in a pattern.. In lots of little patterns moving towards the airlock door...

:v:: "What's up with this rain? I thought we were protected inside the asteroid."
:raise:: "There's no rain in space."

:v: and :raise:: ":gonk:"

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm finally finding some spare time to play SE again and my god, is it finally running smooth or what?

I also just found that you can play SE with a controller, and the default mapping is pretty nice, FWIW.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well I mean there's space precipitation but it's generally a little more hazardous than the terrestrial variety.

Edit: though possibly only marginally :stare:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 20, 2015

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OwlFancier posted:

Well I mean there's space precipitation but it's generally a little more hazardous than the terrestrial variety.

Edit: though possibly only marginally :stare:

quote:

Jesus Martinez-Frias, a planetary geologist at the Center for Astrobiology in Madrid, pioneered research into megacryometeors in January 2000 after ice chunks weighing up to 6.6 pounds (3.0 kg) rained on Spain out of cloudless skies for ten days.
God's come to kill you

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HardDisk posted:

I'm finally finding some spare time to play SE again and my god, is it finally running smooth or what?

I also just found that you can play SE with a controller, and the default mapping is pretty nice, FWIW.

I've actually being able to take that bigass battleship for a run in a proper Infinite World without it completely chugging to uselessness. Granted, it's still a bit chuggy, but it's actually playable now.

Those raider bases never knew what hit them...

Evilreaver posted:

I got a ship stuck on Autopilot. I can't manually control it.

-Grinding the cockpit off didn't work
-It doesn't have a remote control
-Adding a remote control and toggling it didn't work
-Adding a RC and adding waypoints and telling it to go didn't work

This ship simply WILL NOT MOVE :byodood:

Oh joy, that bug is back is it? It's been in a while and kept me from trying using Remote Control for anything but direct piloting :sigh:.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I've got this wierd issue on my laptop (not on my PC for some reason) where it will just drop in FPS to about 15 or so and stay there until I quit and reload the game (I don't have to restart my client just the saved game).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

frank.club posted:

God's come to kill you

Seriously why does the planet need to create 50kg balls of ice out of seemingly nowhere for no reason and then hurl them at random places from a cloudless sky?

What the gently caress, nature?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 20, 2015

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
A better question would be, why do you think it shouldn't be giant 50kg spiders instead?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Seriously why does the planet need to create 50kg balls of ice out of seemingly nowhere for no reason and then hurl them at random places from a cloudless sky?

What the gently caress, nature?

gently caress the ocean sky

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
While I remember to update the Medieval Engineers patch notes*, just a reminder that we still need someone to do a proper OP for it.

*A week late, again.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

While I remember to update the Medieval Engineers patch notes*, just a reminder that we still need someone to do a proper OP for it.

*A week late, again.

Given it has for long periods of time just flat out not been able to run on many people's pcs, I don't think anyone really cares about it.

There's your OP for it.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Spookydonut posted:

Given it has for long periods of time just flat out not been able to run on many people's pcs, I don't think anyone really cares about it.

There's your OP for it.

I've been ignoring it for the moment because there is very little in it. Once they've fleshed out some of the systems and things-to-do it'll be worth poking at.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 20, 2015

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played it for a bit. Pushed a cart around and then a man came and killed me.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

frank.club posted:

I think this should be the OP.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

frank.club posted:

Sounds like a realistic simulation of medieval peasantry to me.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OwlFancier posted:

Sounds like a realistic simulation of medieval peasantry to me.

Yeah he did it about 5 seconds before I starved to death too

Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

Knight of the Sovereign Military Order of Sealand

McGiggins posted:

A better question would be, why do you think it shouldn't be giant 50kg spiders instead?

Great, now I'd have to prepare a 1:1 scale Leviathan import for the off chance moon-sized spiders are jumping at everything that comes into orbit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

counterfeitsaint posted:

I think this should be the OP.

Done.

Mercutio Martino posted:

Great, now I'd have to prepare a 1:1 scale Leviathan import for the off chance moon-sized spiders are jumping at everything that comes into orbit.

That's what shell-printing gravity cannons are for :gibs:.

Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's what shell-printing gravity cannons are for :gibs:.

Spiders are wily creatures. It'd be easier to blow up the planet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mercutio Martino posted:

Spiders are wily creatures. It'd be easier to blow up the planet.

Something I want to take a stab at once they're released is to try to somehow destroy a planet. Or at least devastate a considerable portion of the surface.

Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something I want to take a stab at once they're released is to try to somehow destroy a planet. Or at least devastate a considerable portion of the surface.

Oh same here. Crack a moon in half just right so that the pieces still maintain orbit, give it a cool atmosphere.
Or just go into servers and build orbital colonies for the explicit purpose of dropping them on planets ala Gundam Wing

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Mercutio Martino posted:

Oh same here. Crack a moon in half just right so that the pieces still maintain orbit, give it a cool atmosphere.

This is literally how planetary rings are made.

Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

counterfeitsaint posted:

This is literally how planetary rings are made.

I doubt SE will have moons that orbit though, since the sun itself is the moving object in the game for the same of having a day/night cycle. We'll have to wait n see.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I don't think they'll actually simulate an orbiting moon ripped apart by tidal forces and become a ring, but they've got asteroids and planets, why not arrange them in a ring like shape?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I want to Shield World a planet and have a colossal mined out section where I store all my stuff and ships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT_jhaMoeqM

Edit: Seeing gravity will probably be a big problem for larger ships, I supposed I'd have to build some sort of detachable take off system as well similar to the one used by the Pillar of Autumn in Halo: Reach.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 21, 2015

Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

McGiggins posted:

I want to Shield World a planet and have a colossal mined out section where I store all my stuff and ships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT_jhaMoeqM

Edit: Seeing gravity will probably be a big problem for larger ships, I supposed I'd have to build some sort of detachable take off system as well similar to the one used by the Pillar of Autumn in Halo: Reach.

The massive infrastructure created by the Forerunners and the UNSC is truly the dream of any Space Engineer.
If SE ever stops being a laggy poo poo when you try to build something awe inspiring...
That's the hope though, because I certainly wouldn't mind having just one of any of our ships roaming around with a full crew instead of having a million sensors and computers running over enough hotkeys to embarrass a WoW player.
The block based building is starting to wear on my nerves, and the lack of updates to the multiplayer coding certainly isn't helping.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mercutio Martino posted:

The massive infrastructure created by the Forerunners and the UNSC is truly the dream of any Space Engineer.
If SE ever stops being a laggy poo poo when you try to build something awe inspiring...
That's the hope though, because I certainly wouldn't mind having just one of any of our ships roaming around with a full crew instead of having a million sensors and computers running over enough hotkeys to embarrass a WoW player.
The block based building is starting to wear on my nerves, and the lack of updates to the multiplayer coding certainly isn't helping.

Multiplayer's next on the table after Planets. Considering what we've seen, it's pretty understandable because we're not just getting the original bare-bone versions from the early pictures but something pretty well filled out with creatures hunting our planet-exploring asses.

Something I'd like to actually see is microwave power transmission, sending energy from solar collectors (or a single base) out to other sites in orbit/on the ground.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
What happens when you have a ship with dimensions that exceed the view distance?

For example, a 30km long ship in a world with a 10km view distance limit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spookydonut posted:

What happens when you have a ship with dimensions that exceed the view distance?

For example, a 30km long ship in a world with a 10km view distance limit.

Before or after the game shits the bed and crashes? :v:

If I had to guess, I'd wager you just get the normal LOD cutoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Before or after the game shits the bed and crashes? :v:

If I had to guess, I'd wager you just get the normal LOD cutoffs.

What about just a single line of large ship armor blocks?

How's it going to react to things (like asteroids) outside of the loaded area?

• Locked thread