Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It goes deeper than that

:eek:

Everybody has been trained since elementary school.

If you've ever been "the caboose" then you aren't much better than Goebbel's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ron Jeremy posted:

Oh wait, the empire were the fascists?

:tinfoil: All the DoD is facist, apparently.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

:tinfoil: All the DoD is facist, apparently.

There's a little bit of Hitler in all of us.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Zeroisanumber posted:

There's a little bit of Hitler in all of us.

Every time a bell rings, a soldier gets his iron cross :godwin:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bird in a Blender posted:

If they didn't have the threat of going to jail, I would probably consider this a good idea. Just something like, donate blood, get $100 off your fine. There is almost always a blood shortage, and it would still help people who had trouble paying fines. Throwing people in jail for failure to pay is the only real problem in my eyes. Donating blood is still voluntary.

I'm pretty sure it's still an ethical minefield because you're really taking advantage of people who may not consent under normal circumstances to such a medical procedure.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/10/impeach_hillary_clinton_on_day.html?hootPostID=b5f4d6a0657a493d9f3f17417c269faf#incart_river

In more news from my lovely state, Rep Mo Brooks of Huntsville has promised to begin impeachment proceedings against Hillary Clinton day one of her presidency. He has already learned that she will win and apparently so will he.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Considering the horribleness of the pre-quals it's not hard to argue the empire is good because the Jedi are so loving awful.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Raerlynn posted:

Comedy note : it comes out in the extended universe that the emperor didn't like non humans. Cheney supports racist Empire, doesn't see problem.

The emperor didn't give a gently caress about if you were human or not. He capitalized on core world bigotry to advance his aims, but he was as comfortable with aliens as he was with humans.

The emperor's bigotry was if you were a force user or not. If you were force sensitive and had the will to power to use it, he saw you as at least worth considering as at least a pawn in the gameboard. If you weren't force sensitive, or were but weren't strong enough he loathed you for your weakness and refusal to comply with How Society Should Be.

If racism = prejudice by race + power then I'm not sure what prejudice based on spiritual connective would be called. "Racism" doesn't really encompass the totality of how toxic Sith ideology is.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

The one on the left though is way bigger.

Everybody does parade formations. It's spiffy.

I remember learning in a film class that this particular scene was an intentional imitation of Triumph of the Will. I forget exactly what Lucas's reasoning was, but my guess is it's just powerful iconography. Even Nazis sometimes had good filmmaking techniques that are worth copying.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Speaking of the galactic empire... internet reactionary scum has turned on Star Wars:

http://www.salon.com/2015/10/20/sta..._same_language/

I apologize if this was posted several pages back; gun-chat scares me.

I feel like there's some commentary to be made here about how the horrible nerd communities have turned cannibalistic ever since they polarized/politicized, but nerds are bad.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Zoran posted:

I vote that we turn literally every thread into a Star Wars thread for the next two months. TFF and D&D are already working on it.

I'd no poo poo like to do a D&D coverage of Sith ideology, the structure and operation of galactic politics, the Jedi Order as a necessity, obscure stuff from the old WEG sourcebooks and what it tells us about how the galaxy operated, etc. like the old LF Star Trek thread but for Star Wars.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Martin O'Malley just played an acoustic cover of Taylor Swift on ABC. It's incredibly uncomfortable.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

My Man Shran posted:

Speaking of the galactic empire... internet reactionary scum has turned on Star Wars:

http://www.salon.com/2015/10/20/sta..._same_language/

I apologize if this was posted several pages back; gun-chat scares me.

I feel like there's some commentary to be made here about how the horrible nerd communities have turned cannibalistic ever since they polarized/politicized, but nerds are bad.

Get ready for someone to say that you're in fact, internet scum because you didn't No True Scotsman immediately.

See it doesn't matter how many racists actually believe it, if one internet troll said it ironically, it is all ironic and you're scum for not believing so!

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Tobermory posted:

Martin O'Malley just played an acoustic cover of Taylor Swift on ABC. It's incredibly uncomfortable.

I wish Democratic candidates wouldn't do stuff like this. Guys, you're never going to be as cool as this guy:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
"Heritage of Hate": Univ. of Miss. Students Seek Removal of Confederate Battle Flag from Campus

quote:

AMY GOODMAN: And what’s your assessment? Do you have the votes?

ALLEN COON: We feel very confident that this resolution will pass tonight.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

like the old LF Star Trek thread but for Star Wars.

Is this in the archives somewhere?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

Say what you want about fascism, they know stylish iconography.

Coming soon from me, a deep dive into the iconography of fascism, Leo Strauss' theories on national mythos and how they have been applied to Reagan, and George Lucas lifting from both for his world building

Joke post but I could legit probably crap out a 5 page paper on that, without even going into CineD style scene analysis

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Ron Jeremy posted:

Is this in the archives somewhere?

No idea, I don't have archives.

Though I'd bet that most of the photoshops from it are no longer functioning if it is

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Something I've been wondering about. In the 90s there was also a shutdown controversy, yet I don't remember the media playing a false-equivalence "both sides are responsible" narrative. I remember the responsibility being laid squarely on the republicans, and them paying for it politically.

So what's different between back then and now?

Unless I'm remembering things incorrectly.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Biden is giving a talk now, throwing a lot of backhanded shade at Hillary. Says she wasn't fully onboard with getting bin laden and only Panetta was (contradicting her story at the debate) and that the republicans aren't his enemies (against her answer at the debate, also drat foolish as the past few years have made clear)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Man Kills Himself Because Star Wars’ Main Character is Black

quote:

According to reports, Bobby-Jo, 53, of Charlotte, North Carolina was known by friends as a hardcore Star Wars fan. His wife, Sarah Garrison, also a Star Wars fan, attended comic-con every year dressed up as storm troopers. However, Mrs. Garrison would find her husband unresponsive with a suicide note saying “Make America White Again.”

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fried Chicken posted:

Coming soon from me, a deep dive into the iconography of fascism, Leo Strauss' theories on national mythos and how they have been applied to Reagan, and George Lucas lifting from both for his world building

Joke post but I could legit probably crap out a 5 page paper on that, without even going into CineD style scene analysis

No joke, I did that for real once.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VikingofRock posted:

I remember learning in a film class that this particular scene was an intentional imitation of Triumph of the Will. I forget exactly what Lucas's reasoning was, but my guess is it's just powerful iconography. Even Nazis sometimes had good filmmaking techniques that are worth copying.

Ninety five percent of Lucas's genius has been in inspired theft from others. Kurosawa, Joseph Campbell, etc.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

theblackw0lf posted:

Something I've been wondering about. In the 90s there was also a shutdown controversy, yet I don't remember the media playing a false-equivalence "both sides are responsible" narrative. I remember the responsibility being laid squarely on the republicans, and them paying for it politically.

So what's different between back then and now?

Unless I'm remembering things incorrectly.

IIRC they caught Newt Gingrich admitting that it was all a political ploy.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ninety five percent of Lucas's genius has been in inspired theft from others. Kurosawa, Joseph Campbell, etc.

All true artistic geniuses are thieves of the highest caliber.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

White people killing themselves doesn't make America any whiter.

Though still appreciated.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Could a debt default be spun as a terrorist attack? Only asking because Guantanamo is supposedly getting a little empty.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Racism is dead?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gravel Gravy posted:

White people killing themselves doesn't make America any whiter.

Though still appreciated.

Also apparently sourced from a Onion ripoff site. Trying to find more info just gets me a story of a guy who killed his wife over Star Wars toys. :v:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

My Man Shran posted:

Could a debt default be spun as a terrorist attack? Only asking because Guantanamo is supposedly getting a little empty.

I'm not sure the worst lawmakers should get to visit Cuba before the average American tourist and spoil it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Good.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Fried Chicken posted:

The emperor didn't give a gently caress about if you were human or not. He capitalized on core world bigotry to advance his aims, but he was as comfortable with aliens as he was with humans.

The emperor's bigotry was if you were a force user or not. If you were force sensitive and had the will to power to use it, he saw you as at least worth considering as at least a pawn in the gameboard. If you weren't force sensitive, or were but weren't strong enough he loathed you for your weakness and refusal to comply with How Society Should Be.

If racism = prejudice by race + power then I'm not sure what prejudice based on spiritual connective would be called. "Racism" doesn't really encompass the totality of how toxic Sith ideology is.

If I didn't know any better I'd say Sith internal politics are lifted directly from real world fascist regimes- it's the same mess of internecine backstabbing will-to-power godawfulness that ensures fascist regimes are never as effectively managed as they'd like to be but ~somehow~ makes the Sith incredibly well-disciplined and effective.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Fried Chicken posted:

Biden is giving a talk now, throwing a lot of backhanded shade at Hillary. Says she wasn't fully onboard with getting bin laden and only Panetta was (contradicting her story at the debate) and that the republicans aren't his enemies (against her answer at the debate, also drat foolish as the past few years have made clear)

Pretty stupid move on Biden's part. He's not going to gain support by doing that.

edit: Seems like he's getting lambasted for changing his story- previous he said he opposed the raid.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Bill Kristol is a coward who would never openly endorse a Tarkin Doctrine of foreign policy.

Pope Guilty posted:

If I didn't know any better I'd say Sith internal politics are lifted directly from real world fascist regimes- it's the same mess of internecine backstabbing will-to-power godawfulness that ensures fascist regimes are never as effectively managed as they'd like to be but ~somehow~ makes the Sith incredibly well-disciplined and effective.

The Sith are only able to function as a single master/apprentice unit - multiple masters destroy each other.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pope Guilty posted:

It helps when your commanding officer can will you to death in seconds over the videophone.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

This didn't happen.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

MariusLecter posted:

Also apparently sourced from a Onion ripoff site. Trying to find more info just gets me a story of a guy who killed his wife over Star Wars toys. :v:
So that's what happened to Blue Story. A tragic end :(

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

Sith internal politics led to a cycle of boom as a powerful lord arose, followed by a massive collapse after that lord was assassinated and everyone else fought over the scraps of his empire. It's not for nothing that one of the lords decided that there would only ever be two true Sith Lords at any given time, a master and an apprentice.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Rhesus Pieces posted:

This didn't happen.

So is racism dead or is it not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Gravel Gravy posted:

So is racism dead or is it not?

The source is one of those "parody" news sites that spit out horseshit headlines for clickbait.

• Locked thread