Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I avoided Scott Pilgrim for at least a year, because it looked like wacky can I has cheezburger bullshit to me. It's actually fantastic though. Such a fun movie.

Yesterday I rented What We do in the Shadows and it's hilarious. Relevant because I think it's on UK Netflix right now. Hopefully the US gets it soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I have seen Hot Fuzz at least 8 times by itself and watch it with each of the 4 commentaries twice. It was only slightly less funny on my most recent watch.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Did they just unearth Hot Fuzz from a time capsule? It's good, not a masterpiece, pacing issues for one. It's no Trading Places.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Edgar Wright movies are like Tool in that the fans never loving shut up about how clever and complex they are regardless of the fact that it's okay and completely understandable for people to not like them.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Don't you get it? On the internet, something is either the best thing ever or a steaming pile of poo poo. There's no room for, "Yeah I thought it was a decently funny movie."

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah I wouldn't call Hot Fuzz a masterpiece despite how many times I watched it.

Now the commentaries on the other hand...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

a worthy uhh posted:

Edgar Wright movies are like Tool in that the fans never loving shut up about how clever and complex they are regardless of the fact that it's okay and completely understandable for people to not like them.

This is one of those "IMO" problems. Nobody is going to tack "IMO" at the end of every single one of their posts.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

You're wrong IMO

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You hosed up by typing IMO, so I can safely ignore whatever you wrote there.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Just caught Top of the Lake on Netflix. Huge fan of Elizabeth Moss and was intrigued by the comparisons others drew between it and Twin Peaks as I was a huge fan of the first season of that show... but I don't quite know what to make of this one?

It is an objectively well-shot series, beautiful cinematogrophy, and it flies by with a merely 6-hour runtime, but I just don't know if I liked it or not. I don't think I need time to process it or anything as all the mysteries get tied up [a little too neatly] by the end, and it wears all of its themes and influences on its sleeve.

Did anyone else feel similarly about the show?

One complaint I did have was that for some of the more serious events it seemed like the characters just did not give a gently caress, but all of the instances of rape and misogyny were handled with the care they warranted

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

speshl guy posted:

Just caught Top of the Lake on Netflix. Huge fan of Elizabeth Moss and was intrigued by the comparisons others drew between it and Twin Peaks as I was a huge fan of the first season of that show... but I don't quite know what to make of this one?

It is an objectively well-shot series, beautiful cinematogrophy, and it flies by with a merely 6-hour runtime, but I just don't know if I liked it or not. I don't think I need time to process it or anything as all the mysteries get tied up [a little too neatly] by the end, and it wears all of its themes and influences on its sleeve.

Did anyone else feel similarly about the show?

One complaint I did have was that for some of the more serious events it seemed like the characters just did not give a gently caress, but all of the instances of rape and misogyny were handled with the care they warranted
I thought it had one twist too many. I was kind of frustrated the main character didn't see that nonsense coming earlier. It also felt like it was shoved in there and got wrapped up very quickly. It's been a while since I watched it so I barely remember any specifics.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

david_a posted:

I thought it had one twist too many. I was kind of frustrated the main character didn't see that nonsense coming earlier. It also felt like it was shoved in there and got wrapped up very quickly. It's been a while since I watched it so I barely remember any specifics.

I'm inclined to agree with you there. That whole twist was introduced and wrapped up literally within the last 10 minutes of the last episode and then THE END.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Speaking of commentary is there anywhere I can get digital editions of army of darkness or evil dead movies with the batshit commentary? I have my old boomstick edition DVDs but would like it portable an HD. Stars isn't gonna surprise us and have these on their service are they?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You hosed up by typing IMO, so I can safely ignore whatever you wrote there.

I see no other way to separate fact from fiction.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is one of those "IMO" problems. Nobody is going to tack "IMO" at the end of every single one of their posts.

To be quite honest, I've found myself typing a lot of redundant poo poo that, in my view, doesn't need to be said, but might save me from having to respond to someone who doesn't understand how subjective opinions work.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

DangerDummy! posted:

e: I watched Spaced again recently, and I guess I don't think it's aged very well. Still a good time, though, and head and shoulders over any slacker comedy of that era.

IT crowd? Or was that much later?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Hot Fuzz is really good and definitely the best Wright film.

IMO

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
The Every Frame a Painting guy made a pretty good video about what makes Edgar Wright such an effective comedy director

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FOzD4Sfgag

speshl guy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 19, 2015

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
-Well THEY murdered Bill Shakespeare!

-WHAT, WHO?!...oh.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mr.capps posted:

Yeah I wouldn't call Hot Fuzz a masterpiece despite how many times I watched it.

Now the commentaries on the other hand...

I never listen to commentaries. How were they great? Arnold and Verhoeven Total Recall great?

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Rough Lobster posted:

Hot Fuzz is really good and definitely the best Wright film.

It would be if Shawn of the Dead wasn't a perfect movie.

Which it is. There's nothing half as brilliant in Hot Fuzz as the mirrored long takes of Shawn walking from his house to the convenience store and back.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Flash miniseries is still pretty good now that I'm further along.

Having the Prison Break bros in it is pretty funny. The younger brother makes for a pretty fun villain honestly. Just snide and over the top enough to fit in a comic book plot without being too much of a ham with it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The CW has seriously done a fantastic job reinventing itself. Variety wrote an article about their unfortunately-named network executive Mark Pedowitz and how he managed to grow the channel without abandoning their existing audience of women and younger viewers that's a pretty good read if you're into that.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

That Works posted:

The Flash miniseries is still pretty good now that I'm further along.

Having the Prison Break bros in it is pretty funny. The younger brother makes for a pretty fun villain honestly. Just snide and over the top enough to fit in a comic book plot without being too much of a ham with it.

What is this? Do you mean the Flash TV series, which I agree is surprisingly good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Terrible Horse posted:

What is this? Do you mean the Flash TV series, which I agree is surprisingly good.

The one on Netflix right now. It's fun.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Phantoms is my go to horror crap for the night. Outside of its Dean Koontz attempt at getting the Steven King treatment anyone else notice this has the wonkiest foley work?Everything sounds like it was slowed down digitally.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

That Works posted:

The one on Netflix right now. It's fun.

It's not a miniseries, it's a full-blown TV series. It's on CW and it's a spinoff of Arrow (which is... okayish, generally at its best whenever Manu Bennett is onscreen).

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Has anyone seen Journey To the West? Steven Chow movie, a search shows me that critics love it and the 2-3 goons that have seen it hated it with a passion.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It's not a miniseries, it's a full-blown TV series. It's on CW and it's a spinoff of Arrow (which is... okayish, generally at its best whenever Manu Bennett is onscreen).
I really enjoyed it, but they use a lot of the canonical material which is.... well, I don't want to spoil it because I'm embarassed to type out how the first season plays out, suffice to say it's kind of a groanworthy enemy which was telegraphed from the first episode.

But if you're down with eating the "oh yeah this is some old-rear end comic book storylining" it's pretty fun to see it live acted with decent CGI. I never cared for the flash but the main cahracter actor has this insanely likable face - I kinda just want to give him a one-arm man-hug and a cappucino/noogie/cappucino/noogie/cappucino/noogiefuckyouI'mnotgayhejustremindsmeofmyawkwardpre-sexualschoolboyyearsokaydamnit

Fun show.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

coyo7e posted:

I really enjoyed it, but they use a lot of the canonical material which is.... well, I don't want to spoil it because I'm embarassed to type out how the first season plays out, suffice to say it's kind of a groanworthy enemy which was telegraphed from the first episode.

But if you're down with eating the "oh yeah this is some old-rear end comic book storylining" it's pretty fun to see it live acted with decent CGI. I never cared for the flash but the main cahracter actor has this insanely likable face - I kinda just want to give him a one-arm man-hug and a cappucino/noogie/cappucino/noogie/cappucino/noogiefuckyouI'mnotgayhejustremindsmeofmyawkwardpre-sexualschoolboyyearsokaydamnit

Fun show.

Who, Gorilla Grodd? Gorilla Grodd is awesome.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
The first time I saw Hot Fuzz I was high as balls and I spent the last half hour wondering if I was hallucinating another movie.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Fun show.

Yeah they do a nice job of skirting the fine line between campy / sappy / over the top bad guy villainous behavior in it that keeps it pretty fun.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I think he's probably referring to Reverse Flash, and how that's kind of a lame villain if you aren't already used to that kinda poo poo from the comics.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Basebf555 posted:

I think he's probably referring to Reverse Flash, and how that's kind of a lame villain if you aren't already used to that kinda poo poo from the comics.
I mean I am reading the original Daredevil right now but the color scheme for flash and his nemesis is pretty :psyduck:

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

LORD OF BUTT posted:

There are some questionable fx on the Flash, but I'll give them credit, I was expecting the CGI gorilla to look waaaay worse.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Abugadu posted:

Has anyone seen Journey To the West? Steven Chow movie, a search shows me that critics love it and the 2-3 goons that have seen it hated it with a passion.

It's maybe my least favorite movie of his but it's certainly not bad.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

precision posted:

It's maybe my least favorite movie of his but it's certainly not bad.
It kind of goes all over the place before everything gets tied up and you figure out what was going on the whole time. It was pretty fun, not the best.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

red19fire posted:

The Man From Nowhere is the gold standard for action thrillers, for me at least.

Going to have to echo this, "The Man From Nowhere" is a solid watch pretty much the whole way through.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Mo_Steel posted:

Going to have to echo this, "The Man From Nowhere" is a solid watch pretty much the whole way through.

The Man From Nowhere is pretty fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea The Man From Nowhere is great, I love how restrained it is(until its not). You only get little glimpses of what this guy can do until the very end.

This is my favorite little bit from the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1aiA62DQr8

Its really not spoilery, just a little moment where you go "drat who is this guy?"