Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Inside Out Mom posted:

i love this game, please don't nerf the firebug, they're perfect.

Buff everyone else to the same level, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lemon Curdistan posted:

AKA the correct way to balance co-op games. I mean, they can probably nerf splash damage applying MWG damage twice and other stuff that makes hard stuff trivial, but more cool perks like zed shrapnel for other classes please.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Pretty sure MWG feetsplashing is the only thing thats agreed to be on the OP end, rest of firebug seems alright. And heck its the flamers that should be shooting at the ground to ensure zeds are standing in fire.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I remember saying Commando is underpowered so I kinda feel bad about saying this, but thematically the class best suited to Zed Time shenanigans is the Gunslinger. A ton of movies involving cool action dudes shooting akimbo in slow mo attest to this hypothesis, and I think it makes for a great way to distinguish it from the other classes.

In exchange, since rifle-equipped dudes are generally considered the "grunts" of the military, I figure that Commandos would instead benefit from having other Commandos in the squad. Think of stuff like the Leadership perk, except in this case each additional Commando in the squad increases whatever bonus they get. Teamwork is vital in a game of KF2, but having a class that rewards close coordination to nullify its weaknesses sounds like a pretty good niche.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
It would work if there were 4 classes in a 6 player game, then you could think of balancing stacking commando perks for 2+ commandos, but as it is, across 6 people it's easy and preferable to have 6 diffrent classes. Soon we'll have 7 total in the game, so it's gonna get even easier to mix and match for no repeating classes.

I guess if Gunslinger got something for Zed Time it would be starting it. Like "Headshots to trigger Zed Time - 40 (-5 every 5 levels)" So at level 25 you'd activate Zed Time with every 15th headshot, and then the Commando can extend it. That's possible synergy.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

toasterwarrior posted:

I remember saying Commando is underpowered so I kinda feel bad about saying this, but thematically the class best suited to Zed Time shenanigans is the Gunslinger. A ton of movies involving cool action dudes shooting akimbo in slow mo attest to this hypothesis, and I think it makes for a great way to distinguish it from the other classes.

In exchange, since rifle-equipped dudes are generally considered the "grunts" of the military, I figure that Commandos would instead benefit from having other Commandos in the squad. Think of stuff like the Leadership perk, except in this case each additional Commando in the squad increases whatever bonus they get. Teamwork is vital in a game of KF2, but having a class that rewards close coordination to nullify its weaknesses sounds like a pretty good niche.

Maybe Commandos should gain reload speed and armor when there are teammates nearby. Or Commandos gain reload speed and Support gains armor. I dunno. Something when teammates are within a certain range, though, would be nice, and promote teamwork.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
What is the mushroom cloud effect caused by? I've never seen it before until yesterday.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I'm hoping there's a perk to let the gunslinger not need to reload in zed time. It's a pain in the butt with most guns but with weapons that only hold ~6 rounds, you'll probably end up reloading in zed time a lot.

Broose posted:

What is the mushroom cloud effect caused by? I've never seen it before until yesterday.

Radiation, one of the perks for Demo, explosions during zed time cause a nuclear explosion that does a tonne of radioactive damage over time to zeds in the proximity.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

QwertySanchez posted:

Radiation, one of the perks for Demo, explosions during zed time cause a nuclear explosion that does a tonne of radioactive damage over time to zeds in the proximity.

We played a HoE game with a level 25 Demo and it was insane how fast Radiation would melt poo poo, even the big guys.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kikas posted:

I guess if Gunslinger got something for Zed Time it would be starting it. Like "Headshots to trigger Zed Time - 40 (-5 every 5 levels)" So at level 25 you'd activate Zed Time with every 15th headshot, and then the Commando can extend it. That's possible synergy.

There's zero reason not to make this one every level.

QwertySanchez posted:

I'm hoping there's a perk to let the gunslinger not need to reload in zed time. It's a pain in the butt with most guns but with weapons that only hold ~6 rounds, you'll probably end up reloading in zed time a lot.

The plight of the Support player. :unsmigghh:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The plight of the Support player. :unsmigghh:

But I love seeing every shell lovingly inserted into the gun!

(While my face is getting bitten off just as lovingly)

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Ruggington posted:

I stick with fully stocked the entire game because it lets me buy and drop back-up CnB's or Microwave Guns on the cheap so I never run out of ammo
It only costs 200 for a new cnb and like 95 to completely fill it. That's pocket change at wave 7/8/9 which is when you start actually running out of ammo even if you're being careful.

Shumagorath posted:

Flaratov seems like a terrible choice over Fully Stocked even before the boss round where you need to pile MGs and AA12s. Why splash damage over range?
Because it's very nice to be able to toss a couple into a chokepoint and then run away to help the team/solo a bit zed while things keep burning and dying and making you dosh in the background for many seconds. Also for lighting up dark maps.

As for splash, other people have already explained how the MWG is amazing with it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Zomborgon posted:

But I love seeing every shell lovingly inserted into the gun!

(While my face is getting bitten off just as lovingly)

Just make an animation where the player slams a whole handful of shells into the gun. Most of them scatter away but hey your gun is fully loaded.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This is how you make co-op games super fun. Not make poo poo OP, but buff instead of nerf.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
You rapidly approach power creep when you do that though, then they have to end up buffing the health of zeds to compensate once every class is overpowered.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

To encourage people to play higher difficulties, trader messages & character banter should get more and more insulting and degrading the lower the difficulty and the higher your perk level is.

Maybe even weapon price penalties start accruing at a big enough discrepancy.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Brainamp posted:

Just make an animation where the player slams a whole handful of shells into the gun. Most of them scatter away but hey your gun is fully loaded.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I knew I getting that from somewhere, though best I could think of was Blood Dragon. That's Painkiller right?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Brainamp posted:

I knew I getting that from somewhere, though best I could think of was Blood Dragon. That's Painkiller right?

Looks like a Postal 2 mod to me.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

sushibandit posted:

To encourage people to play higher difficulties, trader messages & character banter should get more and more insulting and degrading the lower the difficulty and the higher your perk level is.

Maybe even weapon price penalties start accruing at a big enough discrepancy.

This would be great. A couple of my LAN gaming friends sport level 20'ish perks and I've only just got them to move to Hard. One of them talks about how he can solo normal like he's some sort of KF2 savant, and I tell him how much of a baby he is.
Mind you, most of them play MMO games so I should probably count myself lucky I get to play this at all.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Gromit posted:

This would be great. A couple of my LAN gaming friends sport level 20'ish perks and I've only just got them to move to Hard. One of them talks about how he can solo normal like he's some sort of KF2 savant, and I tell him how much of a baby he is.
Mind you, most of them play MMO games so I should probably count myself lucky I get to play this at all.

Man. Once I jumped into Suicidal, I found the lower difficulties so slow and boring. How do they put up with it?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Man. Once I jumped into Suicidal, I found the lower difficulties so slow and boring. How do they put up with it?
Not everyone wants playing games to require laser focus and brutally punish you for every fuckup. I want to :350: :420: and be able to smash zed face without having to try very hard, because I play to relax.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Alereon posted:

Not everyone wants playing games to require laser focus and brutally punish you for every fuckup. I want to :350: :420: and be able to smash zed face without having to try very hard, because I play to relax.

Suicidal does not require laser focus.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Suicidal does not require laser focus.
Look man Hard is difficult enough when you're trying to carry a team of idiot pubbies who don't use voice comm. I get that if you have 5 competent friends who play together well that will make every difficulty setting a lot easier, but some people just want to hop into a game and have fun.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Alereon posted:

Look man Hard is difficult enough when you're trying to carry a team of idiot pubbies who don't use voice comm. I get that if you have 5 competent friends who play together well that will make every difficulty setting a lot easier, but some people just want to hop into a game and have fun.

You don't understand. Here on the Games subforum of Something Awful Dot Com, we are all elite pro MLG gamers. If you cannot tackle HoE by yourself as a level 0 Field Medic, than you simply don't belong.

According to half of these tools, anyway.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Going from hard to suicidal is a strange thing pubbie wise.

Average pubbie in suicidal is generally competent unless its a lowbie demo that crawled in there.

RiperSnifel
Jul 13, 2007

Pull the handle, let it go, now you know you're ready to roll.

Alereon posted:

dry land is not a myth

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Skoll posted:

You don't understand. Here on the Games subforum of Something Awful Dot Com, we are all elite pro MLG gamers. If you cannot tackle HoE by yourself as a level 0 Field Medic, than you simply don't belong.

i don't think anyone said anything like that

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ruggington posted:

i don't think anyone said anything like that

I am allowed to exaggerate and use conjecture, damnit. It's the internet.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

the internet feds are on their way to your house fucko

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
gently caress. Swatted again.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Skoll posted:

That said, Suicidal is do-able with a team in the mid teens provided you have a Demo or Zerker to take out the big guys and a Medic that isn't retarded (virtually none are). HoE is ridiculous though; get puked on twice and you're dead.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 21, 2015

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Drakes posted:

Going from hard to suicidal is a strange thing pubbie wise.

Average pubbie in suicidal is generally competent unless its a lowbie demo that crawled in there.

Yeah, I only see low level guys accidentally joining Suicidal if the matchmaking happens to throw them in there for some reason these days. You'd probably be all right with trying Suicidal at around the teen levels, though. The jump from Hard to Suicidal is probably the most pronounced because zeds get their full move sets and speed. Most of the adjustment is just getting used to juking, tumbling, and even bloats being able to rush you at a decent clip. The move from Suicidal to Hell on Earth is even easier after that because zeds just come at you faster and at higher rates/numbers.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

That said, Suicidal is do-able with a team in the mid teens provided you have a Demo or Zerker to take out the big guys and a Medic that isn't retarded (virtually none are). HoE is ridiculous though; get puked on twice and you're dead.

Suicidal is the perfect mix of difficulty and fun for me. The zeds are speedy and have access to all their attacks, but they aren't overpowered and it's not a constant zed Zerg rush, like in HoE.

I find it impossible to go back to Hard after playing a decent amount of Suicidal.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Suicidal is easily soloable as a level 15 Zerk or FB, and probably medic as well (dat movespeed). In no way does it require "laser focus" and precision keyspamming either.

As long as the pubbie shitters you get matched with know how to click the left mouse button you should be fine as long as you're using a perk that can handle big zeds. Those are the funner perks to use anyway, so it's not really an issue until hans (assuming none of the pubs are smart enough or competent enough to play medic).

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I will go one step further and say every difficulty is easy on Solo if you know what you're doing. The game scales by group size. I believe anything under four players is pretty much capable of being handedly beaten without the massive ramp up you see in a four to six player game.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Also tell your friend the game scales everything to pathetic levels when you play solo.

Suicidal is the perfect balance, especially once you've broken the 13 level ranges on your perks. I get joining hard mode when you don't have anyone else on to group with, but if I can get one other goon or friend to join in, suicidal is great. Plus as said, suicidal pubs are great by comparison.

Your friends must be really bad at video games.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I wasn't a fan of Suicidal until A) I got my perks into the mid-teens and B) I found reliable goons to play with. I still prefer to play on Hard when I'm using matchmaking and just want to pop zombies but Suicidal has definitely grown on me otherwise.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'm about at the point where I'm just going to skip Hans after round 10. It's not a fun fight. Actually it's boring and sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Kazvall posted:

I'm about at the point where I'm just going to skip Hans after round 10. It's not a fun fight. Actually it's boring and sucks.

Speaking of which, once they introduce the Patriarch and Matriarch is it true that the boss is going to be assigned by map? I guess custom maps will still be random but it'll be kind of dumb when the map vote comes up and everyone goes 'Don't vote Volter Manor I hate fighting Hans' or some other similar scenario.