Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Gaz-L posted:

I think little beats like Gwen grumbling that Janet didn't tell her she had to do maintenance on the web-shooters are fine, but they need to pace themselves better with the cameos. It's one book, not the basis of a whole line like Spider-Girl or USM were.
I don't know if it's right to think of them as just cameos, though. USM had stuff like Omega Red being strictly a Spider-Man villain—he never appeared in UXM at all. I think what Spider-Gwen is doing is the same premise—building a core cast/rogue's gallery out of characters recontextualized from predominantly non-Spider-Man-related content. Between USM, Spider-Verse, Secret Wars and now Web Warriors I've seen enough variations on the Sinister Six to last me a while, so I'm kind of grateful for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think Loki was technically dead around the time of OMD, so that, at least

Never mind that Dr. Doom also owed Peter a favour, and he owns a time machine. And not one of those crappy 'spins off an alternate timeline' ones, but 'literally made Ben Grimm the canonical Blackbeard of the Marvel Universe' ones. Also he's a master of science and sorcery, so he should have had exactly no problem with a meager bullet wound.

But then OMD was so blatantly editorially mandated it hurts, when you consider there was literally a page where he asked pretty much ever big name (hero and villain) for help and nobody could. Not even the X-Men who have one guy whose power is 'heals poo poo' and once regrew a human heart in seconds for someone after a demon ripped out the original one. Never mind Reed Richards also has one of those time machines.

Honestly if you think about it for five seconds, OMD falls to pieces from a logical perspective.

Literally every single one of those people told him "Dude, it's her time." and he wouldn't accept it.

Which I guess ties into how Peter has consistently been written as an immature manchild ever since OMD.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I wonder if people in 2005 were still getting mad about the Clone Saga and rerouting every spider-man discussion to be about that

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

I wonder if people in 2005 were still getting mad about the Clone Saga and rerouting every spider-man discussion to be about that

Yes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In 2005? People do that NOW.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There are three things you must discuss when discussing spidey.

1. OMD
2. The clone saga
3. Gwen Stacy's death.

Everything else is just filler.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I only ever see stuff about Gwen's death when they mention that OMD could've had her coming back but was decided that nah.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, as someone who skipped RYV, is the Regent cool in ANY way?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I only ever see stuff about Gwen's death when they mention that OMD could've had her coming back but was decided that nah.

I see it plenty usually being used as the point where spider-man comics were ruined forever

spider-man fans are the whiniest babies. no one ever goes on giant rants about how streets of poison or fighting chance ruined captain america comics forever but every spider-man story is just another crime against Us Readers by the evil bastards at Marvel

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, as someone who skipped RYV, is the Regent cool in ANY way?

He was a loving bad rear end, however he was the least interesting part of RYV.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

CharlestheHammer posted:

1. OMD
2. The clone saga
3. Gwen Stacy's death.

4. Bitch about Slott.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Blockhouse posted:

I see it plenty usually being used as the point where spider-man comics were ruined forever

spider-man fans are the whiniest babies. no one ever goes on giant rants about how streets of poison or fighting chance ruined captain america comics forever but every spider-man story is just another crime against Us Readers by the evil bastards at Marvel

You can't ruin what was never good,

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

CharlestheHammer posted:

1. OMD
2. The clone saga
3. Gwen Stacy's death.

Give me enough space, and I can bitch about :

- The endless clones of The Sinister Six (Superior Foes is amazing tho)
- Green Goblin's unnecessary chain mail costume
- love interests since Gwen's death that aren't MJ or Black Cat
- Spider-Totems
- Peter revealing his identify
- Spider-Man's Iron costume or whatever
- Mac Gargan getting the symbiote
- New symbiotes after Carnage
- Electro not wearing the star-shaped hat costume
- Randomly killing good characters, like The Enforcers, old Hobgoblins, Stilt-Man (I know that was Punisher, but still)

I'd also like to talk about how Molten Man could be awesome, but is largely ignored.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Probably Magic posted:

4. Bitch about Slott.

That is pretty much just here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

I'm sorry that you can't understand why having the main character of a work making a deal with the devil and then being poorly written for 8 years might make people unhappy with a book.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Really I don't think any character has been hosed harder than spidey over the years.

Besides hank but who gives a gently caress about hank.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sorry that you can't understand why having the main character of a work making a deal with the devil and then being poorly written for 8 years might make people unhappy with a book.

Most people find other interests after eight years. When Slott took over on Spider-Man I discovered I'm a huge Thor fan. Getting bored with Batman? I'll see how Superman is doing.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

X-Men and Spider-Man have both been poo poo for a long time, because of course, what with them being my favorite corners of the Marvel universe and all. Luckily, the auxiliary titles are still good, but the flagships turn good writers into bad or okay writers into outright boring drudgery.

I liked both (most) New Avengers and Slott's Mighty Avengers, but X-Men and Spider-Man under both have been boring as hell.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Really I don't think any character has been hosed harder than spidey over the years.

Besides hank but who gives a gently caress about hank.

If we're talking about being hosed over in the books, even Spider-Man doesn't compare to Matt Murdock.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Probably Magic posted:

X-Men and Spider-Man have both been poo poo for a long time, because of course, what with them being my favorite corners of the Marvel universe and all. Luckily, the auxiliary titles are still good, but the flagships turn good writers into bad or okay writers into outright boring drudgery.

I liked both (most) New Avengers and Slott's Mighty Avengers, but X-Men and Spider-Man under both have been boring as hell.

I think it's some subconscious thing where you know you don't need to use your A-Game to keep the Spidey or The X-Men juggernaut rolling so your brain keeps better ideas in reserve for books that will actually need them to make it past twelve issues. Bendis's steller early work on New Avengers when it wasn't a sure thing and sharp decline as it became unstoppable is my anecdotal evidence.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Probably Magic posted:

Bizarrely, I bet you'd dig the hell out of Spider-Man and The X-Men if you haven't read it yet.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Bizarrely, I bet you'd dig the hell out of Spider-Man and The X-Men if you haven't read it yet.

I probably would, need to get around to that. I do love Peter Parker: Teacher.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

X-O posted:

If we're talking about being hosed over in the books, even Spider-Man doesn't compare to Matt Murdock.

I meant from a character perspective, but forgot the true number one, Scott Summers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The major difference is usually Murdock's world gets destroyed by really good writers, where Spider-Man has had to deal with Dan Slott for the past 8 years.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Any good writers in their mid 20s who can update Parker? If we are going for some kind of modern young hip Parker who kids can relate to them he needs a voice other than 40 year old man child.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Matt Fraction would be a great Spider-Man writer.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Codependent Poster posted:

Matt Fraction and David Aja PRESENT:
Spider Man

Be still my beating heart

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Codependent Poster posted:

He certainly proved that with the Sensational Annual he did.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I'd like to see if Elliott Kalan's style is too goofy and meta to pull off a good long run. Even in failure it'd be interesting.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
The thought of a Matt Fraction Spider-man gets me excited.

I think a Hickman Spider-man would be cool. Most people assume Hickman can't get the characterization but anytime he has written any spider-man in Avengers/FF/SW he has nailed it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

trashbuilder posted:

I think a Hickman Spider-man would be cool. Most people assume Hickman can't get the characterization but anytime he has written any spider-man in Avengers/FF/SW he has nailed it.

After that burger scene from SW #6, I'm down with him writing either Spider-Man.

"Where did you get a hamburger? AND DON'T SAY YOUR POCKET!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

trashbuilder posted:

Hickman's use of Superior Spider-man was better than anything Slott ever did.

"Yes well, I spit in that."

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Hickman's use of Superior Spider-man was better than anything Slott ever did.

"Yes well, I spit in that."

Everyone wrote Superior Spider Man better than Slott. It made me mad too because I really liked Superior and it's the series responsible for getting me back into comics, but towards the end I was hate reading it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
ASM #2 was real good

the joke with Aquarius noticing Spider-Man and Prowler was also real good

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
ASM still good this week, though I could do without the 'Zodiac are just regular workaday people that bicker and can't be bothered with all this ceremony bullshit' jokes. And I've never liked how he writes Jonah. I much prefer Jonah when the blustering "threat or menace?!" stuff is a facade over a real journalist. He's much cooler in Silk, to be honest.

Also, why does Pete have a Spider-Copter? Beyond that Slott really wants to write Batman?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If you were a rich superhero would you not have a themed helicopter?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

If you were a rich superhero would you not have a themed helicopter?

I would have a themed Zeppelin. :colbert:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
have getting to a crime scene forty five minutes late because you had to inflate your loving balloon, hugo eckner!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I never thought I would say this.

Dan Slott is crushing it on this book right now.

• Locked thread