Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
One thing that makes concrete nicer is stucco or some sort of stone facade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Accretionist posted:

That wood siding in the living room might, though.

The original cabin was quite tiny, so they kept some of the exterior walls as new interior walls. That's one of my favourite features of the house, but then again to each his own.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Veib posted:

Not really, no. The distance between the buildings is so short it just isn't worth the time it takes to go up there, because both ends of the pipe are in extremely bad places where you normally never need to go, unless you're specifically going to the pipe.

One end is on a part of the floor where there's nothing there except one single department and the university chapel. So unless you're going to one of those, you never have any reason to be there. That building also has more floors than the other one, so to connect these there's that tiny tower with absolutely nothing in it except for the stairs and an elevator leading to the pipe. Like I guess if there's a bigass storm or something it'd be nice, but even during winter it's just very inconvenient and nobody ever uses it.

(I graduated from there last year)

Right, that's a bit of a waste. We have a 3rd floor walk bridge at work, and though it is a bit longer than going outside, it makes the 17:30 kiosk visits that much more pleasant in the winter.

I should probably do a post about that place one day. Norwegian cancer+research hospital, built addition by addition since the 1920s, with the bulk being shapeless concrete and a warren of corridors and basements. Then again, that's probably fairly typical for medium-sized hospitals everywhere.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Maoist Pussy posted:

Unless you live in the desert, stucco is basically "yes I want water damage."

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Blistex posted:

The original cabin was quite tiny, so they kept some of the exterior walls as new interior walls. That's one of my favourite features of the house, but then again to each his own.

I was just about to mention the cabin inside the cabin. :v:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Grim Up North posted:

Here's a video of a house of a Japanese couple with cats. There are some elements of the architecture that I find interesting like breaking up the hard boundary of inside and outside without giving up privacy, but lol its a high-concept deathtrap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgEfY4ZB8YY

I can't help but wondering what his hallway (and star wars collection) will look like after a day of heavy rainfall.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Every time I walk past this ugly-rear end building on the way to work I can't help but think it looks like an amalgamation of three different ugly-rear end buildings in one.

VVVVV: It's in Moorgate, which I actually think overall has a lot of cool slightly-weird buildings and is a nice area to walk through

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 19, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Calico Heart posted:

Every time I walk past this ugly-rear end building on the way to work I can't help but think it looks like an amalgamation of three different ugly-rear end buildings in one.
Where is that (specifically, I can tell it's London)?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

LochNessMonster posted:

I can't help but wondering what his hallway (and star wars collection) will look like after a day of heavy rainfall.

I love looking at places which were just so obviously designed around, "Well it's warm and sunny now, it's not like that'll change any time soon"

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Accretionist posted:

That wood siding in the living room might, though.

Do floor to ceiling windows look very modern to anyone else? I feel like they require the rest of the interior look like this:

it's perfect for exhibitionists imo

who doesn't want the world watching them wank on the couch

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Plus, you can't see outside in the evening. Being fishbowled like that's freaky. Gotta have curtains or smart glass.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Jaramin posted:

I really dislike 432 Park Avenue.

It looks like the original WTC. But if the WTC was made of Lego, 432 Park is made of Duplo.

I don't think you get what the architect is trying to do. You're looking at the building the wrong way. From the outside looking in. It's designed for rich fucks, and the one place it looks good is from the inside (where you don't have to look at it)

Example:
Take this view:

Add this (designed by Harry Seidler, Australias answer to Gehry, only more '70's - so more poo poo, and brutallist - so it's a perfect poo poo storm)

And you get this:

Which is said to have the best view in Sydney, because inside is the only place you can't see it.

And for reference of just how poo poo the building is, and how poo poo Seidler is, this is the penthouse balcony (with owner):

They wanted to build 7 of these things on the site: legend has it the famously corrupt and in-the-pocket-of-property-developers council looked at the first one and went Nope.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 19, 2015

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

88h88 posted:

I was just about to mention the cabin inside the cabin. :v:

cabinception

Inception references are still cool and hip, right?

Captain Postal posted:

And for reference of just how poo poo the building is, and how poo poo Seidler is, this is the penthouse balcony (with owner):

That looks really lovely for what I assume is a luxury penthouse.
Also, I don't know if it's the perspective but the vertical and horizontal lines don't look straight to me. It looks like non of the parts fit together and everyone just went "Eh, good enough, mate".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

that guy's just about the most completely insufferable peak oil blowhard ever

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

extremely good

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Captain Postal posted:

I don't think you get what the architect is trying to do. You're looking at the building the wrong way. From the outside looking in. It's designed for rich fucks, and the one place it looks good is from the inside (where you don't have to look at it)

Example:
Take this view:

Add this (designed by Harry Seidler, Australias answer to Gehry, only more '70's - so more poo poo, and brutallist - so it's a perfect poo poo storm)

And you get this:

Which is said to have the best view in Sydney, because inside is the only place you can't see it.

They wanted to build 7 of these things on the site: legend has it the famously corrupt and in-the-pocket-of-property-developers council looked at the first one and went Nope.

Good lord, that's appalling, allowing a tower to be sited there. I wonder how much money changed hands. How does one get to that island?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

therattle posted:

Good lord, that's appalling, allowing a tower to be sited there. I wonder how much money changed hands. How does one get to that island?

It's on a peninsula, not an island.

I wanna know how much money changed hands to get it on the heritage register.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 20, 2015

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

saucerman posted:

Also, I don't know if it's the perspective but the vertical and horizontal lines don't look straight to me. It looks like non of the parts fit together and everyone just went "Eh, good enough, mate".

I think from where it's located that must be a super zoom of some sort, so I would guess lens distortion

MikeJF posted:

I wanna know how much money changed hands to get it on the heritage register.

Yeah, this makes no sense. There'd be way more money in knocking it down than in keeping it. The neighbors all want it knocked down too. Maybe it's some Seidler fanboys doing it so Seidler can continue to be the worst architect ever from beyond the grave?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Captain Postal posted:

Yeah, this makes no sense. There'd be way more money in knocking it down than in keeping it. The neighbors all want it knocked down too. Maybe it's some Seidler fanboys doing it so Seidler can continue to be the worst architect ever from beyond the grave?

It was added in 93 back when he was alive. I think he probably bribed it through, he was stupidly proud of the awful thing.

Hah, from the register's 'reason for significance':

quote:

Its construction was a factor in a popular revolt against such types of development, particularly in this area. It was voted, in a popular poll, the building most Sydneysiders would like to see removed. 

Better heritage list it then! :downsgun:

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Captain Postal posted:

If you'd only shown the last picture I would've assumed this was some rundown cheap and lovely socialized housing way out in the sticks where all the poors, mentally ill and other undesirables are dumped. Not some rich gently caress building on prime real estate :psyduck:

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Better heritage list it then! :downsgun:

Worst loving architect ever posted:

"Come on, this is old news, stupid bloody nonsense, I'm sick to death of it. ... I've always thought Blues Point Tower is one of my best buildings and I stand by that. Anybody who can't see anything in it ought to go back to school."
—Seidler, responding to questions from journalist Stephen Lacey

Semi-seriously though, this is the heritage listing and it says:

quote:

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria f)[Rarity] - This item is assessed as historically rare regionally. This item is assessed as aesthetically rare statewide. This item is assessed as socially rare regionally.

SHR Criteria g)[Representativeness] - This item is assessed as historically representative locally.

Integrity/Intactness: -

Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

How hard would it be to put together an argument to disprove those two points and petition the minister to over-rule council and revoke status? Especially since the council won't exist in a few years time and the premier is about to go into a poo poo-fight about how bad local council decisions are?

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 20, 2015

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

C.M. Kruger posted:

Unless you live in the desert, stucco is basically "yes I want water damage."

Maybe we do it differently here, but I own a house that was built in 1947, with original stucco siding. In one of the rainiest parts of Sweden. Fairly common siding and rarely an issue on the older houses; some newer construction however have experimented with thinner stucco on top of foam insulation and that's turned to crap within years.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Just Winging It posted:

If you'd only shown the last picture I would've assumed this was some rundown cheap and lovely socialized housing way out in the sticks where all the poors, mentally ill and other undesirables are dumped. Not some rich gently caress building on prime real estate :psyduck:

Let me blow youre mind: Back when this was built, those cheap socialized housing projects didn't exist.

If governments hadn't fawned over this style and put poor people in this type of building as opposed to letting them keep living in shacks and hovels, people would be going "Woooah, 60's jetsetter rich people!" when looking at that building.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Grim Up North posted:

Yeah, look at Werner Sobek's buildings, he builds passive solar glass houses which are recyclable - he calls it Triple Zero „Zero Energy / Zero Emission / Zero Waste“.

Here's an article on one of his latest ones, B10, which is a bit experimental:
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/17/greathomesanddestinations/a-glass-box-of-a-house-in-germany-that-thinks-for-itself.html?_r=0

He himself lives in R128, in Germany so its not like his designs only work in warm climates:

http://www.wernersobek.de/en/projects/material/glass/r128/

His houses are great but I'd appreciate a bit more privacy.

Where do you masterbate?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

Where do you masterbate?

It's loving Germany, so I would imagine right out on the street.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Tenzarin posted:

Where do you masterbate?

I think this has retractable blinds that come down out of the ceiling right next to the windows, so you can turn every window into an opaque wall if you so choose.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Blistex posted:

I think this has retractable blinds that come down out of the ceiling right next to the windows, so you can turn every window into an opaque wall if you so choose.

So like the color and the outline of boxing the clown will like envelop the glass windows, sweet. It would be like a beacon!

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot
this motherfucker OP actually said "tyool" LMFAOOO

i hope you die of testicular cancer and burn in hell you piece of gently caress

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

i was reloading posted:

This is a good and timely post.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

i was reloading posted:

Did you go to jail for 8 months between reading the op and hitting "submit reply"?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

that guy's just about the most completely insufferable peak oil blowhard ever
I think it's more funny since he comes off as more of an "Old man yells at cloud" sort of blowhard. YOU KIDS WITH YOUR TWERKING AND CARS.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Maoist Pussy posted:

It's for brick, not concrete, but how do you feel about formstone?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

cheerfullydrab posted:

this is baltimore as all loving hell

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

ANAmal.net posted:

this is baltimore as all loving hell

Only thing missing are painted screens.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

cheerfullydrab posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBs455jwb8w

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Wax Dynasty posted:

Only thing missing are painted screens.

This is really a thing? I've never seen it before.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Have some random stuff from http://www.failedarchitecture.com/

This Venezuelan building was originally the world's only "drive-in mall". It's now headquarters of the Venezuelan secret police and contains a small prison underground.

quote:

A modern shopping mall, “El Helicoide: Centro Comercial y Exposición de Industrias,” was designed to include large exhibition halls for the burgeoning national industries (oil, gas, iron, aluminum, agriculture); an automobile showroom; a gym and swimming pool; restaurants; nurseries; discotheques; a giant cinema; a first-rate hotel in which all the major airlines had offices; a heliport to fly passengers to and from the airport; and a full system of internal access with diagonal elevators and mechanical stairs. At its summit, under a dome designed by Buckminster Fuller, visitors could purchase souvenirs. The landscaping was to be designed by Roberto Burle Marx. El Helicoide was state-of-the-art, even by US standards.

Two Fascist Italian plans for Adis Ababa

quote:

Returning to the drawing, we can see that it depicts different functional zones, such as administrational and transportation areas. Yet, the functional zones and the dominant central axis are now used simultaneously as a device for racial separation; it divides the indigenous inhabitant from the Italian colonizers. Just as the Plan Voisin would be situated on top of the existing centre of Paris, the Italian dominion was expressed by the fact that important Fascist buildings were built over existing Ethiopian structures. For example, the place of the imperial palace of Menelik II, number nine on the drawing, was changed into the Fascist headquarters.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Dienes posted:

This is really a thing? I've never seen it before.

It is, although it was much more a thing before the widespread adoption of air conditioning. These days you'd probably see more in a museum than on the streets.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/baltimores-painted-screens/
http://paintedscreens.org/history.html

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Besides the fact that it's now a torture palace that's a pretty sweet looking building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I think I saw this in a movie.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimdobson/2015/06/12/billionaire-bunkers-exclusive-look-inside-the-worlds-largest-planned-doomsday-escape/

quote:

If you happen to be one of the rich and famous or just rich, then why shouldn’t you able to have the best seat in the house when the apocalypse comes. With that sentiment in mind, Robert Vicino, the CEO of Vivos, a company that’s building the Billionaire’s bunkers to bear the brute force of the a possible doomsday scenario, has announced Vivos Europa One. These are underground survival complexes with all the comforts of home and then some.

Vivos Europa One, located in Germany, isn’t just for the rich, it’s for the super-elite rich as it’s a by-invitation-only five star set up built for those who want to wait out the end of the world or a nuclear holocaust, in style and comfort. Each of the chosen families will have their very own 2,500 square foot area of this highly fortified survival shelter (a relic of the Cold War) which can be further divided up into two floors doubling the space. The families can also have their dream underground bunker designed by an architect and contractor of their choice for a more personalised touch and could be decked out to look like a private bungalow underground; well not so much a bungalow as a small mansion complete with pools, theatres, gyms et al.

Aside from the facility being able to handle any and all kinds of man-made disasters like a close range nuclear blast, biological and chemical agents, electro-magnetic pulses and armed attacks, these shelters have also been designed to handle natural calamities like shock waves, earthquakes and tsunamis. The entire complex spans over 21,108 square meters underground and also has an additional 4,079 square meters of above-ground office space and warehouse buildings, as well as a train servicing depot.

From climate control with air filtration and cooling systems to redundant back-up systems, a water treatment plant, backup generators, a hospital area and restaurant areas, this is pretty much an underground resort. There’s even space allocated to house a collection of zoological species, an archive for artefacts and treasures, a DNA Vault, a Hall of Records and more. Common areas of the Vivos Europa One will include all kinds of necessities and extras to help you live out the ‘end of the world’ in luxury.

The Vivos Europa One underground complex is for the elite wish to remain so even at the end of the world as we know it; but if you’ve ever seen any post apocalyptic movie with a similar situation, you know how it’s going to end for them. The company seems to be preparing for an inevitable apocalyptic situation that’s on the horizon as the CEO had this to say, “We are proud to bring this epic project forward in these increasingly dangerous times.”

• Locked thread