Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
man I just saw Jane Doe by Converge on vinyl. Got so excited I read the price tag wrong, thinking it was 25 bux. Guy wanted 150

Oh well, keep looking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Are there multiple issues of it or something? I'm sure I picked it up in NYC for about $25 a few years back just in the normal stands...

E: equal vision version can be pricy, but the death wish versions are just normal prices, looking at discogs.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 20, 2015

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Hey audiophile nerds, I got my new Shure M97xE cartridge hooked up to my turntable, and while it overall sounds a great deal better than what I had previously, I've noticed I can hear a quiet, tin-like droning sound when I listen with my headphones on. It's most noticeable during track fadeouts and silences.

Is there something I can adjust to reduce this noise? It's a Numark TT-1600 connected to a pre-amp, which in turn is being run into my desktop computer.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Is it the needle?

I feel like the most likely suspect would be your computer, but maybe reconnecting the needle might fix the hum.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Check your ground? Fix my hum

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Here's a hopeless question but I figure I'd give it a shot.

Just picked up a Zevon album that I've been looking for for cheap. Sounded great but unfortunately looks like there's an issue with it.

During one of the tracks there is something causing the needle to skip and repeat the same line over and over. Haven't noticed any visible defects to the thing, rest of the album sounds fine.

Looked up online for solutions, tried taking a toothpick to it if it was dirt or grime, tried cleaning it, hasn't seemed to resolve the issue. Don't suppose there is anything else I can try before I return this thing?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What album is it?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Stand in the Fire, one of the live ones.

It isn't terribly rare online, I just found it super cheap at a brick and mortar store where I live so it'd just be a shame if it turned out to be a bust.

Edit:

Nevermind, last three tracks on the same side are skipping too at the same location along the label. I guess I may not be able to see it but the thing is screwed.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 21, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Good record.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
My girlfriend and I have both been in to records for a while but haven't had a ton of time or money recently to really indulge in it. However since we are getting married this weekend I decided to get us a copy of Siamese Dream on vinyl, which is her favorite Smashing Pumpkins record.

After the wedding we will see how the money situation is, I would love to upgrade our turntables and speakers to something a little better, maybe even get a nice vintage receiver as well. Its a hobby I have really wanted to get in to but in addition to saving up for a wedding we also live in an apartment, which doesn't really afford us a lot of space.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Boinks posted:

Someone on discogs opened one.

I'm going to hold off and see what it's worth before I decide.

You can actually slide the record cover out of the thing without breaking the wax seal. I have another album from sacred bones with one of those wax sealed prints.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Are there multiple issues of it or something? I'm sure I picked it up in NYC for about $25 a few years back just in the normal stands...

E: equal vision version can be pricy, but the death wish versions are just normal prices, looking at discogs.

For some releases Sacred Bones does a limited run of screen prints with the wax seal that they include with whatever the album is. The actual album and cover inside are otherwise identical to the usual release.

Fermented Piss
May 17, 2012

CPL593H posted:

You can actually slide the record cover out of the thing without breaking the wax seal. I have another album from sacred bones with one of those wax sealed prints.

For some releases Sacred Bones does a limited run of screen prints with the wax seal that they include with whatever the album is. The actual album and cover inside are otherwise identical to the usual release.

The poster was talking about Converge - Jane Doe

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Fermented Piss posted:

The poster was talking about Converge - Jane Doe

I some how missed the first post on this page.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

BigFactory posted:

Good record.

Best version of "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead", for sure

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Blast Fantasto posted:

Best version of "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead", for sure

Pretty close to hitting rock bottom Zevon was cool.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Thanks, it was a really tight fit but I managed to slip it out without breaking the wax seal. :spergin:

Anyway, here it is:

Here is the download code if anyone wants it:

Here's the download code to the original album too, but it may be used already.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Boinks posted:

Thanks, it was a really tight fit but I managed to slip it out without breaking the wax seal. :spergin:

Anyway, here it is:

Here is the download code if anyone wants it:

Grabbed #1. Thanks, appreciate it.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Boinks posted:

Anyway, here it is:

Grabbed #2. Thank you very much!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

BigFactory posted:

Most definitely, have you heard the CD version of that album with the extra tracks? Great versions of Play it All Night Long and Johnny Strikes Up the Band that aren't on the original LP.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Blast Fantasto posted:

Most definitely, have you heard the CD version of that album with the extra tracks? Great versions of Play it All Night Long and Johnny Strikes Up the Band that aren't on the original LP.

Yeah. The play it all night long is sweet.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Got an extra digital copy of the new deerhunter album first come first served.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Anaranjado posted:

Got an extra digital copy of the new deerhunter album first come first served.

Thanks! I grabbed a copy. Have loved all their previous albums and the two singles I heard from this one.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
the fourth track, duplex planet, really stands out for me. The whole album feels like real estate and beach house had a baby

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

BigFactory posted:

There are only two covers of Prince songs that are better than the originals, and his Raspberry Beret is one of them.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mulva posted:

There are only two covers of Prince songs that are better than the originals, and his Raspberry Beret is one of them.

I agree about Raspberry Beret, but what's the other one?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Allen Wren posted:

I agree about Raspberry Beret, but what's the other one?

Jack U Off by Pansy Division

Lungs
Dec 20, 2005
Picked up the single disc reissue of 'Future Perfect' by Autolux yesterday. Had a quick sconce at discogs before I took the plunge and some dude was saying it's kind of a crummy pressing, but I decided to take a punt anyway. Glad I did, it sounds great, and I don't see copies of it floating around very often (ever).

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So I have been looking to find a decent copy of Stand in the Fire since this one turned out bad. May have found one but it is listed as being a part of "RCA Music club" does that mean in particular for the quality?

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
You get nine other records for a penny.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Schremp Howard posted:

You get nine other records for a penny.

That doesn't sound promising.

I remember those ads for CDs now, so I guess that's where it came from.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Gravel Gravy posted:

So I have been looking to find a decent copy of Stand in the Fire since this one turned out bad. May have found one but it is listed as being a part of "RCA Music club" does that mean in particular for the quality?

They may be mastered from a higher generation tape, so it could sound slightly worse.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah if you don't get a hot stamper you might as well not bother. Going price should be under 1k.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Picked up some new records and got some DL codes for you all. None of the LPs are anything fancy really, so I'll just post the codes.

Angel Olsen - Burn Your Fire For No Witness

Julia Holter - Loud City Song
and Julia Holter - Have You In My Wilderness

Ought - Sun Coming Down
and Ought - Once More With Feeling...

Sun Coming Down is one of my top 3 albums this year. I'd recommend it if you're a fan of bands like Women and Slint but expect something a little more art-punk and sardonic - it's good stuff!

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -