Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Clamps McGraw posted:

Is hipfire going from (for example) 3 to 2.75 a buff or a nerf

Buff.

The numbers represent degrees, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm looking forward to seeing if 0.75 ADS really didn't mean anything or if people were full of poo poo all along.

Also weird to see people saying how the Orion got a huge buff when it's basically going to handle like an MSW-R now. Without Soft Point. I mean if you stand still it's a lot better but I'm not really sure standing still is a good niche for a close range LMG.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Fans posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing if 0.75 ADS really didn't mean anything or if people were full of poo poo all along.

Also weird to see people saying how the Orion got a huge buff when it's basically going to handle like an MSW-R now. Without Soft Point. I mean if you stand still it's a lot better but I'm not really sure standing still is a good niche for a close range LMG.

The only way to tell if .75 ADS meant anything would have been to remove it with no other changes.

By making other changes at the same time it will end up being the same slap fight where both sides find an anecdote or two to support their original claim.

If we're very lucky someone might even find a fact or two in all the hyperbole.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It's being removed AND the Orion is getting a buff.

So if people's KDR still falls after it, there's really no excuse.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

It won't matter because the people who were the problem will slaughter you with any gun. The AC shitters are loving horrifying no matter the gun they use and other people who have used nothing but the orion won't notice their moving fractionally slower.

The real winner is the LSW because if it retains its current reload with 150 rounds i won't use anything else ever again.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I don't subscribe to the "Oh they'd do just as well with any gun" idea, because if that was true they wouldn't all be using the same gun.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Fans posted:

I don't subscribe to the "Oh they'd do just as well with any gun" idea, because if that was true they wouldn't all be using the same gun.

Players find the path of least resistance and take it. When that particular path of least resistance is removed, they will find the next lowest path of resistance and all switch to that. Better players find these paths more quickly than less effective players.

Better players are good at quickly and effectively finding the most effective tool for their use, which turns out to be similar for similar players (poopsockers) because they have similar goals (maximizing their effectiveness, minimizing others interference).

There's always going to be a most useful gun per faction (most useful for the situations that a given player tends to actually encounter during play), and the good players will tend to use it. This is part of the reason the whole 'balancing by usage statistics' is really really dumb.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I get why they're all using the same gun. I just find it funny that people try to pretend it's not really the best gun.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Fans posted:

I get why they're all using the same gun. I just find it funny that people try to pretend it's not really the best gun.

This is true on all factions and all classes so I'm not sure what's funny about it? Every player faction and player class has one gun that tends to be more flexible for the way that class is played and players tend to prefer it.

It's not because that gun is 2x as good as the other guns though.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Rakthar posted:

This is true on all factions and all classes so I'm not sure what's funny about it?

It'd be like me going "Oh the Gatekeeper? Yeah I'd kill you with a Basilisk if I wanted to, the bullet velocity doesn't matter if you can aim :smug:"

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Someone who is keeping a steady 40% HSR/ACC will loving destroy you no matter the gun their given because they likely put way more effort into the game then you. Its not get good lovely its play this game for 8 hours a day every day lovely.

They should literally remove certain people from the gun stats, ban the top 1% and anyone below BR30 and you'll see a much more accurate graph.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Arghy Sanders

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428359100731575377/stats

Here is a guy who loves his Battlegoose.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

VS anti inf max weapons. I got 1000 certs. Should I buy a second Quesar or save a bit more for 2x Cosmos or save up another 1k for 2x Blueshift?

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

Lima posted:

VS anti inf max weapons. I got 1000 certs. Should I buy a second Quesar or save a bit more for 2x Cosmos or save up another 1k for 2x Blueshift?

get 2x blueshifts + exmags asap

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
the blueshift outclasses the other vs anti-inf guns so much that there is no reason for you to be using anything else imo

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

the blueshift outclasses the other vs anti-inf guns so much that there is no reason for you to be using anything else imo

get this guy a double-double post because he's right

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

The Battlegoose is the best gun. I don't see how it's even an argument. You don't see people rerolling NC alts to play exclusively HA and get the Godsaw at rank 50.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

But Not Tonight posted:

get this guy a double-double post because he's right

Will do, thanks!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Nebulas are p dope too.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Your fun fact for the day: compensator + soft point + forward grip on an Armistice is fun as gently caress.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Cabbit posted:

Your fun fact for the day: compensator + soft point + forward grip on an Armistice is fun as gently caress.

I've had fun doing this in the past with the Cyclone. That said, isn't the ADS cone of fire so huge on SMGs that you're only marginally better off aiming than you would be shooting from the hip?

Jabarto fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 21, 2015

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Jabarto posted:

I've had fun doing this in the past with the Cyclone. That said, isn't the ADS cone of fire so huge on SMGs that you're only marginally better off aiming than you would be shooting from the hip?

What? No. Where did you possibly get that idea?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Jabarto posted:

It's not the CoF, it's the recoil. The high RoF SMGs have godawful side-to-side paired with smaller magazines. ADSing is more forgiving for the NS SMGs and the Cyclone since they don't spit bullets as quickly.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

That's where the forward grip helps a lot. It works with the Armistice because the nature of TR guns means you can survive without extended mags if you've got the discipline to not just dump the mag on every kill.

I'm going to have to do the same thing when I try to aurax the Hailstorm, I think, because you just can't rely on the thing in a face to face fight. Sneaky cloak-corner ADS poo poo really might be the only option.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Cabbit posted:

What? No. Where did you possibly get that idea?

I always heard that SMGs have terrible ADS accuracy compared to their best-in-game hipfire. :shrug:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Jabarto posted:

I always heard that SMGs have terrible ADS accuracy compared to their best-in-game hipfire. :shrug:

Nah. Like, their ADS accuracy is not amazing, but it's still way more accurate than hipfire even with a laser sight.

All the regular SMGs have .3 ADS accuracy across the board-- moving, crouching, standing still, doesn't matter. Stuff like carbines have vastly superior ADS accuracy while standing still or crouching, but usually hover around .3 while ADS walking as well. Unless you're trying to take down dudes from a great distance, SMGs perform very well in ADS if you can handle the recoil (and also have the added benefit of being 75% movement speed while scoped instead of 50%).

The notable exceptions here are that the directive SMGs have .2 ADS accuracy, but even more recoil, and the burst variant carbines which are just ridiculously loving accurate in all situations.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 21, 2015

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Cabbit posted:

Nah. Like, their ADS accuracy is not amazing, but it's still way more accurate than hipfire even with a laser sight.

All the regular SMGs have .3 ADS accuracy across the board-- moving, crouching, standing still, doesn't matter. Stuff like carbines have vastly superior ADS accuracy while standing still or crouching, but usually hover around .3 while ADS walking as well. Unless you're trying to take down dudes from a great distance, SMGs perform very well in ADS if you can handle the recoil (and also have the added benefit of being 75% movement speed while scoped instead of 50%).

The notable exceptions here are that the directive SMGs have .2 ADS accuracy, but even more recoil, and the burst variant carbines which are just ridiculously loving accurate in all situations.

Good to know, thanks. :)

By the way, is the Hailstorm really that bad? I know it has low DPS but it has twice the magazine capacity of the Armistice for the same reload speed, and it's recoil looks to be more manageable too.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013

Lima posted:

You should get one Cosmos and one Blueshift and crouch walk sideways everywhere.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Jabarto posted:

Good to know, thanks. :)

By the way, is the Hailstorm really that bad? I know it has low DPS but it has twice the magazine capacity of the Armistice for the same reload speed, and it's recoil looks to be more manageable too.

The problem with the Hailstorm is that gen 2 SMGs already come with 50 rounds, which is way more than enough, so throwing another 10 on top of that is just kind of pointless. Combine that with the fact that with it's poor RPM (for a gen 2, 125 damage SMG) and it's just super lackluster. You can kill people with it, but you can do it better with just about any other SMG.

If it were up to me, I'd do the same thing to the Hailstorm that DBG did to the Eridani: up the minimum damage range to 10m. Then it'd actually have some kind of niche as a compromise between an Armistice and an NS SMG (sort of like the Eridani).

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
So the next big tweak on PTS is changing the Hossin lock bonus:

BBurness posted:

MAX cost reduction has been removed, Hossin will now provide vehicle/aircraft repairs at friendly ammo towers/pads.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Well, that could seriously change up defensive vehicle use. That's assuming they don't have it pause upon damage.

If they go through with it, some rethinking of the tower positions may be in order.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Well, that's more interesting than a cost reduction anyway.

Edit: Actually, this is pretty big too:

quote:

Bio Lab Benefit
Biolab benefit will act just like Implant Regen 2 while in friendly territory (huge heal buff) and will over ride implant regen 1 & 2 while active (no stacking). Implant 3 & 4 effects will over ride the Bio Lab benefit at all times. MAX's are not healed by Biolab benefit.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Clamps McGraw posted:

The Battlegoose is the best gun. I don't see how it's even an argument. You don't see people rerolling NC alts to play exclusively HA and get the Godsaw at rank 50.

I think Jurrasik was well over 50.

CthulhuBill
Aug 17, 2003

by Cyrano4747
The Hailstorm has its uses. I like to take it as an infiltrator when I'm packing EMP grenade bandos. A grenade at a corner hold and then popping out with the hailstorm will kill 4-5 people before it's done spitting bullets. All of them have half life, they generally never even get a bead on you before you can mow them all down, one after another.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

CthulhuBill posted:

The Hailstorm has its uses. I like to take it as an infiltrator when I'm packing EMP grenade bandos. A grenade at a corner hold and then popping out with the hailstorm will kill 4-5 people before it's done spitting bullets. All of them have half life, they generally never even get a bead on you before you can mow them all down, one after another.

I have frankly never had much success using EMPs on a group of enemies, because getting EMP'd puts everyone on hyper alert. Even as I'm gunning down one guy everyone else is whirling around to find the inf who had now long since dropped cloak and screamed "grenade out" at the top of their lungs.

Now, it's great for lobbing at one or even two dudes I know are hiding behind cover. But any more than that I'd probably last longer picking through them with a suppressed gun.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The Hailstorm is a good gun. The problem is the Armistice is just so much better. Kills with Hailstorm = possibility, kills with Armistice = guarantee.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Cabbit posted:

I have frankly never had much success using EMPs on a group of enemies, because getting EMP'd puts everyone on hyper alert. Even as I'm gunning down one guy everyone else is whirling around to find the inf who had now long since dropped cloak and screamed "grenade out" at the top of their lungs.

Now, it's great for lobbing at one or even two dudes I know are hiding behind cover. But any more than that I'd probably last longer picking through them with a suppressed gun.

FYI enemies don't hear the grenade call or the reload call.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Is there some trick to running people over? I"m trying to be a shitter and mow people down on a cloaked Flash but 90% of the time I just pass harmlessly through people when I run them over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jabarto posted:

Is there some trick to running people over? I"m trying to be a shitter and mow people down on a cloaked Flash but 90% of the time I just pass harmlessly through people when I run them over.

Aim for where I they will be in a second, not where you see them

Also, ramming in a flash is hosed. Use a harasser

• Locked thread