Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Doppelganger
Dec 22, 2012

ChiTownEddie posted:

I don't disagree with any aspect of the comments about the combat issues. The thing is that despite the advertising I'm not approaching this like a 4x. So the fact that combat seems to be a mutual destruction, build up if only to prevent it, type of situation...is actually okay. I mean this mostly in the respect that it almost makes it more of an interesting strategic choice to try and earn a star or two by making sure you have enough power and picking the right fights. I like a diverse strategy spread and this combat approach seems to fit into that.

Now that said, I am backing a freaking Kickstarter. It could end up being less interesting than I think. I will also be one of the first to tell people....age old SA advice...don't back KS projects. I am just part, at this point, part of the Stegmaier hivemind (oh god how) and am okay with it. So back or don't as you will. Honestly...both sides, including the worries, are legit.

E: Das Doppelganger's posts are probably more eloquent than mine.

But you nailed it in far fewer words.

People need to adjust their expectations on this thing. If you're expecting TI3, get out as fast as you can. If you're looking for a solid player, I don't think you're going to feel screwed here. But this WILL be available after via retail, ebay, and resale from backers who don't like it. (Come on, not all 10,000+ are going to think it's the bees knees)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

thorsilver posted:

How do I actually even do this anymore? Like many people I don't have money coming out of my arse and had to wait for some cash, and now it seems like all the 'All PDFs' tiers are gone, even though we're talking digital products and that doesn't even make any sense. Do I have to back at 'Rising Threats' and then use add-ons for The Fall of Delta Green and to upgrade to the Case Officer's Handbook?

I'm tempted to just throw up my hands and back at the basic level and just get that stuff instead, but if there's an easy way to just get everything in PDF that's not extortionate I'd do it. Although if it's barely less expensive than the Agent's Hardback + PDFs I'd probably do that instead I guess. Or maybe not, because then I wouldn't have the Case Officer's Handbook unless I added more money, and I'd still have to add The Fall into it as well. I'm confusing myself even more now :v:

I'm a big fan of the Cthulhu Wars approach of just one main tier at $150 to get all the stuff. This piecemeal stuff makes me feel like I'm always missing something, or conversely getting some poo poo I don't want along with the poo poo I do because the tiers are weird, or something, and I've got to check charts and read FAQs and check international shipping costs and uggghhh.

It's my understanding that limiting the number of a tier like "all the PDFs" is justified in the form of "it's cheaper if you want to get everything, but you have to jump in right now, and 'everything' is still dependent on what actually gets funded"

Ideally they'd (and a general they, not just DG specifically) have a second "all the PDFs" tier with unlimited slots that's more expensive, just for convenience's sake.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's my understanding that limiting the number of a tier like "all the PDFs" is justified in the form of "it's cheaper if you want to get everything, but you have to jump in right now, and 'everything' is still dependent on what actually gets funded"

Ideally they'd (and a general they, not just DG specifically) have a second "all the PDFs" tier with unlimited slots that's more expensive, just for convenience's sake.

As far as I can tell there are two relevant tiers, "all the new PDFs" and "all the new and old PDFs" tiers, and they are both unlimited, these being Rising Threat and Secrets of the Old Ones. (Well, all the Arc Dream PDFs. The Fall of Delta Green is Pelgrane so it's an addon.) There are a bunch of other miscellaneous tiers that appear to be relics of rethinking the tier structure of the campaign midway through, and they probably wouldn't exist if Kickstarter let you delete tiers that have backers. The best you can do is make them limited to the backers that already have them. Confusing, for sure, but the intended "all the PDF" tiers haven't been removed or made limited.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
I didn't see Headspace RPG dropped here, so there we go.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Foglet posted:

I didn't see Headspace RPG dropped here, so there we go.

I'm getting a CTRL ALT DEL vibe from the art in that.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

thorsilver posted:

How do I actually even do this anymore? Like many people I don't have money coming out of my arse and had to wait for some cash, and now it seems like all the 'All PDFs' tiers are gone, even though we're talking digital products and that doesn't even make any sense. Do I have to back at 'Rising Threats' and then use add-ons for The Fall of Delta Green and to upgrade to the Case Officer's Handbook?

I'm tempted to just throw up my hands and back at the basic level and just get that stuff instead, but if there's an easy way to just get everything in PDF that's not extortionate I'd do it. Although if it's barely less expensive than the Agent's Hardback + PDFs I'd probably do that instead I guess. Or maybe not, because then I wouldn't have the Case Officer's Handbook unless I added more money, and I'd still have to add The Fall into it as well. I'm confusing myself even more now :v:

I'm a big fan of the Cthulhu Wars approach of just one main tier at $150 to get all the stuff. This piecemeal stuff makes me feel like I'm always missing something, or conversely getting some poo poo I don't want along with the poo poo I do because the tiers are weird, or something, and I've got to check charts and read FAQs and check international shipping costs and uggghhh.

Back at Rising Threats, add $25 for Fall of Delta Green (So select the Rising Threats Tier but put $105 in as the amount) and you're done. Rising Threats comes wtith the Case Officers.

I think that Fall of DG is being done separately because it's Pelgrane making it and so they can readily track how many people have ordered it. Or something.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm getting a CTRL ALT DEL vibe from the art in that.

If that helps, the artist is Brian Patterson, author of the d20Monkey webcomic and one half of the Exploding Rogue studios that made Iron Edda.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
So I received my Toughest Girls in the Galaxy stuff the other day, which reminded me of the fact that I didn't remember receiving the first part of the KS (the freebies.) I went back and checked, and sure enough, I received a confirmation email of the package going out, but I don't recall ever actually getting the models. I wrote Raging Heroes and, after a check on their end, they said they'd send out replacements, which I thought was pretty cool of them, since they had no proof the package didn't arrive.

I received the models last night, and after going through the packing list, I realized I was missing one model - the weird, gross pregnant biomechanical lady-thing (though they did tone it down from the concept sketches)

No big deal - I didn't want it anyway, and was just going to sell it on Ebay.

Turns out, I got lucky - apparently they grabbed the wrong model and gave me this one instead - crazy AdMech lady:

Currently going for $80 on Ebay. :dance:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

homullus posted:

Hey, no problem, any time. I can totally see, thanks to your business acumen and lucid explanation, how selling a low-margin item at even closer to cost via KS is always strictly better than having your product on store shelves where people who don't use KS can see it.

No problem.

- Margins: KS/Payment processors take ~10%. Maybe you offer a 10-20% discount over MSRP via KS pledges. Selling to a distributor who in turn sells to a retailer, you end up with 50% or less of MSRP. If CSI can sell games for 30% off MSRP and still stay in business, they have to be buying those games at less than 30% off.

So typically KS is going to net your more than retail sales. At worst, you are getting the same profit per sale. But this is still better than selling via retail, because:

-Cash flow: If you're trying to fund game production, the money needs to come from somewhere. Via traditional means, you're going to be beholden to a bank that's going to want collateral (which for very small companies can mean personal property) You aren't going to presell your game to distributors, so you have to have an ongoing income source to hit those monthly payments (with interest). So with traditional means you have a whole different level of money management you have to deal with.

-Gauging demand: Traditional production means you essentially guess at demand, and then print up a batch. If you print too few, you lose out on volume production discounts and potential sales. If you print too many, you then end up paying carrying costs on merchandise - which will quickly kill what little profit margin you have. With KS, you know that 100% of what you produce is already sold, and if you want to produce more for retail, the profit from presales can directly fund the additional copies.

That was today's short lesson of why you don't know what the gently caress you're talking about.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Aquelarre finally stands a chance of getting an English translation in the guise of a Deluxe Giant Book and whatnot:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1861515217/aquelarre-the-dark-and-mature-medieval-rpg-now-in/description $20K seems hopeful

I wish Kickstarters for translations of P&P things were more common(I have to imagine the state of Anima would be faring so much better in these modern times...), but here's hoping this makes it and further paves the way for more stuff breaking all manner of language barriers.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Aquelarre finally stands a chance of getting an English translation in the guise of a Deluxe Giant Book and whatnot:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1861515217/aquelarre-the-dark-and-mature-medieval-rpg-now-in/description $20K seems hopeful

I wish Kickstarters for translations of P&P things were more common(I have to imagine the state of Anima would be faring so much better in these modern times...), but here's hoping this makes it and further paves the way for more stuff breaking all manner of language barriers.

Oh poo poo, dark and mature?!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Crackbone posted:

No problem.

- Margins: KS/Payment processors take ~10%. Maybe you offer a 10-20% discount over MSRP via KS pledges. Selling to a distributor who in turn sells to a retailer, you end up with 50% or less of MSRP. If CSI can sell games for 30% off MSRP and still stay in business, they have to be buying those games at less than 30% off.

So typically KS is going to net your more than retail sales. At worst, you are getting the same profit per sale. But this is still better than selling via retail, because:

-Cash flow: If you're trying to fund game production, the money needs to come from somewhere. Via traditional means, you're going to be beholden to a bank that's going to want collateral (which for very small companies can mean personal property) You aren't going to presell your game to distributors, so you have to have an ongoing income source to hit those monthly payments (with interest). So with traditional means you have a whole different level of money management you have to deal with.

-Gauging demand: Traditional production means you essentially guess at demand, and then print up a batch. If you print too few, you lose out on volume production discounts and potential sales. If you print too many, you then end up paying carrying costs on merchandise - which will quickly kill what little profit margin you have. With KS, you know that 100% of what you produce is already sold, and if you want to produce more for retail, the profit from presales can directly fund the additional copies.

That was today's short lesson of why you don't know what the gently caress you're talking about.

That was a short lesson of why KS is good for game designers. That was never in question, but well done! Tell me why backing a game in an already very successful Kickstarter headed for retail helps the designer more than having some units moving through retail. How are you supporting Jamey better by backing a successful KS than by having stores and distributors seeing his products move off shelves?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Era: The Empowered - Superhero RPG from Shades of Vengeance

quote:

Era: The Empowered uses the Era d10 Ruleset, which was invented in 2011 by Ed Jowett. It has been slightly adapted to suit the specifics of this game but the principles remain the same as the rule set used in Era: The Consortium and Era: Lyres.

It's a lightweight and dynamic system which is designed to help the players experience everything from suspense-filled moments to epic combat with superpowers to computer hacking with equal ease. It's also designed to provide benefits to those who roleplay their characters well, promoting the core roleplaying skills that are transferable between every game.

Players roll a number of d10s, attempting to roll higher than a given Success Threshold. The more dice they roll above the Threshold, the more Successes they achieve. The Threshold increases as the action becomes more difficult to accomplish and the number of dice increases as a player becomes more skilled. While one Success might achieve a positive result, the more Successes achieved, the better the outcome is for the player.

Of course, things can also go wrong - if you roll more 1s than Successes, you will Fumble. This leads to varying (though usually hilarious!) results, particularly when playing with superpowers. And of course, the harder an action is, the more likely it is you will Fumble!
Totally not the Storyteller system, you guys!

Also they did an AMA over on RPGNet a week or so ago, and still only managed to get 10 backers and half of their $500 funding goal.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

With a logo like that, how could their kickstarter have failed?

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

This has some of the worst art I've ever seen in a Kickstarter. What is wrong with Blue Shirt Guy's right arm?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Delta Green sounds like a clusterfuck with how many people have questions like "how do I get all the PDF files".

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jimmeeee posted:

This has some of the worst art I've ever seen in a Kickstarter. What is wrong with Blue Shirt Guy's right arm?

Guy in robot suit is also either really huge or was originally in the foreground, but then later got shoved back without being ensmallened. The woman in front of him might be as tall as his navel. If he has one.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

In other news, I was just reminded that 7th Continent exists and is still going; they just broke $900k. :psyduck:

It's a $100 buy-in for the "get everything except the four add-ons" level, but holy poo poo you get a ton of stuff.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

That is literally the Storyteller system :psyduck:

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Evil Mastermind posted:

In other news, I was just reminded that 7th Continent exists and is still going; they just broke $900k. :psyduck:

It's a $100 buy-in for the "get everything except the four add-ons" level, but holy poo poo you get a ton of stuff.

Unfortunately the S&H isn't baked in to those pledge levels, so add 10-15 pounds if you're lucky, 20-35 if you aren't.

A total of 160 Canadian for their base game is a really rough ask even though I like the concept.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Echophonic posted:

Delta Green sounds like a clusterfuck with how many people have questions like "how do I get all the PDF files".

Yeah...that one looks like a classic case of over complicating things to the extreme. Kickstarter is not really set up to allow customers to pick-and-mix.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I'm surprised Kickstarter doesn't have a built in addon menu thing.
Or if it does that they didn't use it for DG, or that it wasn't appropriate or whatever.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
From a customer friendliness and clarity standpoint, I think Kickstarters work best when there's a clear progression of reward tiers. PDF -> softcover -> hardcover for books, for example. If a backer ever has to consult a reward matrix or ask in the comments "so how do I pledge for X, Y, but not Z", it's too complex for Kickstarter's interface.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Kickstarter only recently added in auto-calculated shipping, so I wouldn't bet on them improving their pledge interface any time soon. I don't think they particularly want to encourage add-ons - the way their creator-pointing interface is set up, I think they want pretty much a 1:1 correlation between pledge level and reward received.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

homullus posted:

That was a short lesson of why KS is good for game designers. That was never in question, but well done! Tell me why backing a game in an already very successful Kickstarter headed for retail helps the designer more than having some units moving through retail. How are you supporting Jamey better by backing a successful KS than by having stores and distributors seeing his products move off shelves?

For the exact same reasons I mentioned above. Your mistake is thinking that he wants to move to a traditional publishing model. He already sells to retailers now. A big hit game generally does a 10k print run, he's already managed close to that, with more than half of those sales being a $100 version. He gets more $$$ per copy this way, and he still gets to sell via traditional outlets. So to turn the question around, why do you think it benefits him to buy his games via retail?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Okay they actually explained this and it's a case of them not understanding quite how kickstarter worked or how the Fall of Delta Green's pdf was going to work. Initially there was no Rising Threats level just the All the PDFS level and it was unlimited, but the Fall of Delta Green was not going to be available as a pdf period under any pledge. After some discussion they released some people were confused as to what exactly was included and thought that the price of the all pdfs pledge was too high, so they made the Rising Threats level at a cheaper value and explained that the Fall of Delta Green would not be available. This being kickstarter though they couldn't get rid of the old pledge level, and just had to try to cojole people into swapping to the new cheaper one, and limit the number of people in the all pdfs to a number lower than the current pledges. Then a few days later it turned out the Fall of Delta Green would be available as a pdf (apparently there were rights issues going on behind the scenes) so rather than making a third all pdfs pledge level they just threw that in for the people who didn't swap and added the new pdf it was an add-on for other people. The only reason it wasn't added to Rising Threats was due to Rising Threats having "no Fall of Delta Green" in its description which due to the way kickstarter works is uneditable.

edit: this is all based on what they're posted in the comments and/or their Q&A section, apologizes if I've misunderstood anything.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Echophonic posted:

They have actually just made things even more complicated: the $300 "NEW AGE" tier gets you all printed books and all new PDFs funded by the project; the $350 "OLD WAYS" tier gets you NEW AGE plus all the old Delta Green PDFs.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Cyphoderus posted:

That is literally the Storyteller system :psyduck:

But he invented it in 2011.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Crackbone posted:

For the exact same reasons I mentioned above. Your mistake is thinking that he wants to move to a traditional publishing model. He already sells to retailers now. A big hit game generally does a 10k print run, he's already managed close to that, with more than half of those sales being a $100 version. He gets more $$$ per copy this way, and he still gets to sell via traditional outlets. So to turn the question around, why do you think it benefits him to buy his games via retail?

My reasoning is the "he gets to sell via traditional outlets" part. Really, I totally get that KS is good for designers up front, but if you DO sell via traditional outlets beyond that KS preorder, your product is competing for shelf space and it keeps its place on those shelves longer if the units are actually moving. "Oh, we are sold out of Scythe again? Order two more." And what that shelf position does that KS doesn't is put the product in front of people who don't use Kickstarter. With such a pretty game, it's going to be purchased by some people when they see it. They won't purchase it if they can't see it on a shelf.

So IF his intention is to only sell the copies made as part of the KS -- via the KS or via the leftovers going to retail -- and never do another print run, then yeah, sure, it helps him less for you to buy at retail. Doubly so if most of the retailers carrying his games do so via retailer KS backing. If he would do a reprint should the retail copies sell very well, then having units flying off the shelves absolutely helps him more once his KS is well-funded. Scythe is a pretty game with hot art and mechs; of all of his games, it's the one that I think has the broadest appeal, and the one best-suited to a traditional publishing model. Jamey specifically called out the value of his relationships with distributors and retailers in one of his KS blogs (the one about not selling existing inventory of previous products as bundles with new KS), which is not the stance of somebody eschewing traditional publishing.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Apparently, Garbage Day is coming out... 4 months early?

Okay, sounds good?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

homullus posted:

My reasoning is the "he gets to sell via traditional outlets" part. Really, I totally get that KS is good for designers up front, but if you DO sell via traditional outlets beyond that KS preorder, your product is competing for shelf space and it keeps its place on those shelves longer if the units are actually moving. "Oh, we are sold out of Scythe again? Order two more." And what that shelf position does that KS doesn't is put the product in front of people who don't use Kickstarter. With such a pretty game, it's going to be purchased by some people when they see it. They won't purchase it if they can't see it on a shelf.

If people didn't back it on kickstarter it would never see the shelf

Also he gets to sell to retailers through kickstarter as well without having to negotiate with anyone other than the distributors and manufacturers.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

signalnoise posted:

If people didn't back it on kickstarter it would never see the shelf

Also he gets to sell to retailers through kickstarter as well without having to negotiate with anyone other than the distributors and manufacturers.

I am sorry that you did not read the other posts or the post you are quoting. I am not talking about the benefits of KS vs. not-KS, though: Scythe's KS is already over a million dollars over its funding goal. Does backing a game one million dollars over its goal benefit the designer more than having that product purchased off of shelves after the Kickstarter? I am suggesting (apparently controversially) that at some point, a designer might want a product to live in the retail world beyond KS, and having demand for it outside of the KS helps keep that product in the minds of consumers and retailers.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

homullus posted:

I am sorry that you did not read the other posts or the post you are quoting. I am not talking about the benefits of KS vs. not-KS, though: Scythe's KS is already over a million dollars over its funding goal. Does backing a game one million dollars over its goal benefit the designer more than having that product purchased off of shelves after the Kickstarter? I am suggesting (apparently controversially) that at some point, a designer might want a product to live in the retail world beyond KS, and having demand for it outside of the KS helps keep that product in the minds of consumers and retailers.

But it already does; I can buy Euphoria and Viviculture from CSI/Amazon right now (well, not Viviculture, but that's because it's inbetween printings).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Crackbone posted:

But it already does; I can buy Euphoria and Viviculture from CSI/Amazon right now (well, not Viviculture, but that's because it's inbetween printings).

A product needs a certain amount of demand to have a successful Kickstarter. A product needs a certain amount of demand post-KS to live in retail. At some point past the Kickstarter's funding goal, an additional purchase benefits a designer more in the latter than in the former, by keeping the designer's product on the shelves. The fact that you can still buy Viticulture and Euphoria in stores now supports my point, not yours.

Why not just admit that you didn't read my original post fully, or didn't understand it?

Edit: this can't be entertaining for the thread, I'm done posting about it. We can talk about it via PM if you like!

homullus fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 21, 2015

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

inklesspen posted:

They have actually just made things even more complicated: the $300 "NEW AGE" tier gets you all printed books and all new PDFs funded by the project; the $350 "OLD WAYS" tier gets you NEW AGE plus all the old Delta Green PDFs.

This is what they shuld have done in the beginning.

Is the $300 tier equal to what you get if you buy them all 1:1, value-wise? I'm so loving confused by what's an add on, what isn't, etc. now. I hate Kickstarters like this.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

Reminder that it's basically a Choose Your Own Adventure book with every paragraph printed on a different card and they're padding the play time by including the time it takes to read out each card.

It's poo poo. Don't back it.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

dwarf74 posted:

Apparently, Garbage Day is coming out... 4 months early?

Okay, sounds good?

I'm not exactly sure how you're trying to convey that so I'll just assume it is happy confusion.
We put the delivery date a lot farther back than we thought we'd actually have it ready. It keeps people happy.

We were mainly worried about the can not being ready because we had to custom make it but also keep it the same dimensions as the playtest cans I was using. Right now we're finalizing the play-mat artwork and getting the retail packaging right.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yep, stunned, happy confusion.

I think it's spectacular you're beating your goals.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

homullus posted:

A product needs a certain amount of demand to have a successful Kickstarter. A product needs a certain amount of demand post-KS to live in retail. At some point past the Kickstarter's funding goal, an additional purchase benefits a designer more in the latter than in the former, by keeping the designer's product on the shelves. The fact that you can still buy Viticulture and Euphoria in stores now supports my point, not yours.

Why not just admit that you didn't read my original post fully, or didn't understand it?

I'm not sure at what point retailers would be like, "that kickstarter was to successful, no one else will want to buy that game!" instead of just "wow look at how successful that kickstarter was, lets get some." I mean i guess if they dont move off the shelves of the store that would be a telling sign but that happens with brand new games that dont have kickstarters also.

Your assumption is that having a game sold at retail will increase its total sales, and you also assume that more kickstarter sales will decrease total retail sales. I am kinda of the assumption that most of the people buying the game via kickstarter are not the ones that would pick it up randomly from a store. Sure there will be some cross over, but you are not necessarily tapping the exact same market, and a large amount of kickstarter success will probably get more stores interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

homullus posted:

Your original quote was:

quote:

Buying at retail makes it more likely a store would order yet another copy to replace the one you bought

Your misconception here is that having a product on retail shelves is somehow the main driver for sales. Some of the simpler games that have jumped into big-box distribution, that might be true. But games like Scythe aren't going to get into Target. Niche game purchases are driven by reviews or playing the game and wanting your own copy. Demand is generated by direct exposure, not sitting on a shelf. Shipping more copies via KS means you are delivering directly to people; people who are more likely to play it and be enthusiastic about it (Kickstarter overenthusiasm is definitely a thing). You're more likely to generate demand by having 10,000 owners who want to show off their new toy than by having 5000 owners and 5000 sitting on store shelves with 100 other titles.

It is true that KS takes away from retail sales, but the point is it's far more beneficial to sell via KS then back-fill retail demand. Retailers will order a game if people are asking to buy it - if the initial KS doesn't generate more demand then you still win, as you've fulfilled demand and done so in a more profitable, and risk-free way.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 21, 2015

• Locked thread