Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

If I remember correctly, he advised caution because it was a very dangerous mission and if it went badly, no less than Obama's presidency would be a stake. And additionally, we were doing it without telling the Pakistani government we were doing it.

Very good perspective on his part, but it is good how it went off in the end. Did he attack Clinton somehow, I remember Fried Chicken saying he was throwing shade on Hillary a few days ago, was that in relation to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah that would have been the end of Obama's presidency. There's no way he would have recovered from a failed mission like that especially if Osama had escaped and our troops had died.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
As it was they had a helicopter go down...thankfully they recovered from that, but still, it was not a silky-smooth mission.

When the word came back with that I bet the situation room was a tad tense.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Nonsense posted:

Very good perspective on his part, but it is good how it went off in the end. Did he attack Clinton somehow, I remember Fried Chicken saying he was throwing shade on Hillary a few days ago, was that in relation to this?

He was trying to re-write history to say that she wasn't fully on-board and that he wasn't fully against it. Which contradicted his own and Obama's earlier statements.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Hollismason posted:

Wow that's literally insane.

It is basically applying a lot of the old Jewish slurs and conspiracy theories to the Palestinians.

Stop and think about how the status quo with Israel has changed in the past 12 months. It has been something no one has foreseen

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

I looked at getting one and doing exactly that. But since they are all 8 cylinders the long run gas cost made them a worse value than the car I got.

But making the people in Indiana who can't drive (all of them) not want to blunder all over the road around me would have been nice

Cop cars now a days around here are all black (from the front) chargers. Real easy to spot because dodge charger.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Hillary also told him it was worth skipping the nerdprom if it conflicted with the mission.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Hulk Krogan posted:

He's claiming Hitler only wanted to deport the Jews until those wicked Palestinians convinced him he should kill them all instead.

You know, out of all the crazy, scummy stuff I expect Bibi to do and say, I was a bit surprised by this one. Can't wait until we find out from him that Palestinians also caused the Black Death, faked the moon landing, and are the source of the global warming crisis.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Fried Chicken posted:

It is basically applying a lot of the old Jewish slurs and conspiracy theories to the Palestinians.

Stop and think about how the status quo with Israel has changed in the past 12 months. It has been something no one has foreseen

I haven't been paying attention to closely to the Israeli / Palestinian conflict because it sets off my depression.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:redhammer: If you feel strongly about gunchat and need to have it in D&D do it here, thanks. :) :redhammer:

You could also tell lejackel to gently caress off and not post in this forum again FYI.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I haven't been paying attention to closely to the Israeli / Palestinian conflict because it sets off my depression.

Same here, what facts on the ground have changed?

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

euphronius posted:

2001 Aumf definitely covered that operation.

Still, "Well it didn't violate our laws." doesn't buy much sympathy after an international incident involving shooting up the wrong house.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Yeah that would have been the end of Obama's presidency. There's no way he would have recovered from a failed mission like that especially if Osama had escaped and our troops had died.

Asnmuch as we fetishist special forces operations people, the operations can and often have gone spectacularly badly. The attempt to rescue the Iranian hostages is one example, the lone survivor book and movie is another. Nine seals died to secure noriegas plane in Panama to prevent his escape. 4 died in Grenada trying to get to shore after jumping out of a plane

That everything went so smoothly makes me smooth out my tinfoil and agree with Seymore hersh's story that bin Laden was served up to the Americans by the isi.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Hillary also told him it was worth skipping the nerdprom if it conflicted with the mission.

That evening was when Obama impressed me with what a cool customer he was. Cracking jokes at the Correspondent's Dinner when a secret mission to kill OBL was on at just that very moment and men's lives and his presidency hung in the balance. Whew.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

That evening was when Obama impressed me with what a cool customer he was. Cracking jokes at the Correspondent's Dinner when a secret mission to kill OBL was on at just that very moment and men's lives and his presidency hung in the balance. Whew.

Now watch this drive.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Still, "Well it didn't violate our laws." doesn't buy much sympathy after an international incident involving shooting up the wrong house.

Really, what would have damned the Obama administration is the enemies they've made in the intelligence community. You'd bet that had we not killed Osama and Americans had died, every conservative source would be leaking like a sieve that everyone told Obama to do it Better, Stronger, Righter, and he refused and Got Our Boys Killed for Nothing.

Benghazi is a great example, where randos out of nowhere came forward with "secret intel" that really, Clinton could have saved everyone using Secret Spy poo poo, but she didn't because CANT_TRUST_HILLARY. It would have been 100x worse if it had been the Osama raid.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Mitt Romney posted:

Additionally, in 2007 at one of the debates Obama was the only candidate on stage that said he would go into Pakistan unilaterally to get Bin Laden. Biden was his fiercest critic at that debate. Obama was also heavily criticized in the press for his statement. Then he proceeded to do just that in 2011 and suddenly all of the critics are silent / want to take credit.

Here would be that moment from the debates, featuring Hillary and Dodd's take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CWsAaeslOI

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

1337JiveTurkey posted:

It did violate our laws though as it was against the Un charter.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

euphronius posted:

I don't know how that explains you know the other 6 million people who were murdered along with the 6 million Jews.

Eh you know how it goes, in for a penny in for a pound

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Hollismason posted:

Wow that's literally insane.

Fried Chicken posted:

Worth a read about the Rightward swing that Israel's been in over the past 20 years

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

euphronius posted:

It did violate our laws though as it was against the Un charter.

Even if it's not true, it's still a better bet than "We have plenty of laws that didn't violate"

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

And managing to preempt The Apprentice, to boot. The more conspiratorially minded would think Obama planned it that way as part of a revenge scheme against Trump due to the birth certificate spat that Trump had started on twitter earlier that week...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hulk Krogan posted:

He's claiming Hitler only wanted to deport the Jews until those wicked Palestinians convinced him he should kill them all instead.

It's especially hosed up when you consider that Bibi and quite a few others in the Israeli government would be completely ok with a Final Solution for the Palestine Problem. Like the only thing that's kept the Palestinians from being exterminated down to the last person is that even the US would turn on Israel if they did so (directly).

Bibi is unironically an Israeli Nazi and I really hate the fact that nomatter who gets elected next year they're going to be chummy as hell with him compared to Obama.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So CIA director John Brennan's personal email got hacked by a teenage stoner. He basically got phished by proxy, the kid posed as a Verizon worker, got someone else to give him personal information about Brennan, and used that to reset the password on the AOL account. The contents were given to wikileaks, who is posting them now

Nothing spectacular so far (it is all from 07-08), but still

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
If anyone thought Ryan had a chance in hell the Freedom Caucus officially has 9 members saying no to Ryan's demands which means unless they change their mind (lol) or Ryan want's to get in the middle of a shitshow and back off his demands the Ryan nomination is DOA.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Get ready for, "the US mandated a war on radical Islam so we are merely honoring our treaties with our close allies by executing every Palestinian we can find"

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

So CIA director John Brennan's personal email got hacked by a teenage stoner. He basically got phished by proxy, the kid posed as a Verizon worker, got someone else to give him personal information about Brennan, and used that to reset the password on the AOL account. The contents were given to wikileaks, who is posting them now

John Brennan was using an AOL account in tyol 2007?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's especially hosed up when you consider that Bibi and quite a few others in the Israeli government would be completely ok with a Final Solution for the Palestine Problem. Like the only thing that's kept the Palestinians from being exterminated down to the last person is that even the US would turn on Israel if they did so (directly).

Reminder that a Times of Israel blogger posted an article entitled "When Genocide is Permissible" during the last round of Gazan fighting last summer, which to its credit that news organization quickly pulled and shortly after banned the author.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well it's spectacular that he was storing sensitive information on a loving AOL account.

If he were smart he'd have a private email server. We ought to pass a law that high level officials must have private email servers in their house.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fried Chicken posted:

Sounds like Verizon really shat the bed on this one in terms of giving info about accounts to people with no right to be requesting it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ron Jeremy posted:

John Brennan was using an AOL account in tyol 2007?

If you had asked me 'where do I find the CIA director's email', I would not have answered AOL in a hundred guesses. Maybe he was on to something?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Three Olives posted:

If anyone thought Ryan had a chance in hell the Freedom Caucus officially has 9 members saying no to Ryan's demands which means unless they change their mind (lol) or Ryan want's to get in the middle of a shitshow and back off his demands the Ryan nomination is DOA.

Man this is some goddamn Tarantino bullshit.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think Ryan knew they would say no and did it this way to save face and make them look bad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Three Olives posted:

John Bohner is gonna be speaker forever

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

greatn posted:

Well it's spectacular that he was storing sensitive information on a loving AOL account.

If he were smart he'd have a private email server. We ought to pass a law that high level officials must have private email servers in their house.

From what I can tell there's very little on there from since he became director. The most sensitive thing was his own background check form...something hackers already stole from OPM lol.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

euphronius posted:

I think Ryan knew they would say no and did it this way to save face and make them look bad.

I think Ryan knows he's not going to get anywhere in Presidential politics and that being Speaker is the most power he'll ever get. I think he desperately wants to be speaker and he also desperately likes being begged to do so.

I suspect he'll slowly decrease his demands and accept whatever he can in order to become speaker.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I wouldn't be surprised if Like Hitler, Bibi is 1/4th the race he hates.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Ashcans posted:

If you had asked me 'where do I find the CIA director's email', I would not have answered AOL in a hundred guesses. Maybe he was on to something?

Security through obscurity at its finest.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Mr Hootington posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Like Hitler, Bibi is 1/4th the race he hates.

Human?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Ashcans posted:

He's 60 years old, I'd like to think someone with that knowledge would have gotten it within 5 guesses.

• Locked thread