Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

for a botanist he sure knows his way around rover hardware
he's a botanist and mechanical engineer. everyone on the crew has dual specialities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Endless Mike posted:

he's a botanist and mechanical engineer. everyone on the crew has dual specialities.

uh nice try but in the movie he says "lucky for me im a botanist" and holds up a piece of paper with his job description and it says "BOTANIST" not "BOTANIST AND MECHANICAL ENGINEER"

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

read the book, farrrt

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

THC posted:

i lied, there is actually one part where a surface is on a guy's desk displaying charts. but its still never actually used. unlike the numerous Samsung laptops in the movie which are actually used. i guess samsung outbid microsoft, or maybe microsoft got wind that samsung poo poo was in the movie and was like "us too!"

so then they kind of shoved some surfaces in the NASA sets during last minute reshoots

i thought the film was meant to be realistic

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

You Am I posted:

It's a very good movie, but hey sorry you didn't enjoy it

it was a pretty good movie, but it kind of ruined the tension when there was a clear numerical value for the happy ending spoiler alert.

if days of food > the time it takes to get to the dude, bad things can happen
if days of food < the time it takes to get to the dude, good things have to happen

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Clockwerk posted:

read the book, farrrt

don't, the book is bad

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yospos waifu joanna stern likes the surface book!

quote:

If you’re a Windows user who’s long been jealous of Apple’s best-in-class laptops, the $1,500-and-up Surface Book is the answer to your prayers

or does she?

quote:

well, it could be. Eventually.

During my testing, I experienced software and hardware issues on multiple units. The worst one is related to a known hardware malfunction that Microsoft says won’t be in the devices shipping to consumers next week. I hope that’s true, because when I wasn’t dealing with these technical glitches, the Surface Book was the best Windows laptop I’ve ever used.

I'm sure a week is plenty of time to iron out some minor issues like

quote:

The design has some real flaws, though. The 3.3-pound, 0.9-inch-thick computer is chunkier than I’d like. And getting into it is like trying to crack a safe. The magnets that keep the system closed require you throw too much back into it. Once you’re in, there’s a slight but unfortunate wobble in the display. This is related to that high-tech hinge that releases the screen when you press an eject key.
Two-finger scrolling is very smooth—though not in Google’s Chrome browser—and other gestures work on the first try. But it doesn’t quite reach Apple’s trackpad perfection. Sometimes my cursor would jump, stick or just disappear. Microsoft says this too will soon be fixed.
The new pen doesn’t make distracting clacking sounds as you tap the screen, the way its predecessor did. It responds better to pressure and quick strokes. However, in meetings, the slight, unnatural writing delay made me yearn for a dead tree and a cheap Bic. And though the pen magnetically attaches to the screen, it can easily fall off. (Mine is now in JFK airport’s lost and found. It costs $60 to replace.)
But then came the times where I wanted to take off my shoe and throw it at the Surface Book. A display driver crash alert repeatedly interrupted my work, and twice the thing rebooted on its own, causing me to lose unsaved notes. (Other reviewers told me they had similar issues.) Worst of all, a Surface Pro 4 and a Surface Book I tested failed to boot up fully because of faulty solid state drives. They simply would not allow me back into Windows.

“We discovered some of the units had solid state drives that were failing,” Panos Panay, corporate vice president of Microsoft Devices, told me. “This is an issue we’ve already addressed at the factory and something customers will not experience at launch.”

in conclusion

quote:

Yet I can’t recommend you get the new Surfaces, no matter how much I really loved using the Book when it was working correctly. While Microsoft assures me that the issues are being addressed, I’ll need to test the fixed versions myself before I give it a thumbs-up.
so yeah not bad for $1500

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
joe belfiore to take a sabbatical because he's tired of only being figuratively adrift at sea

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Amethyst posted:

everything I hear about that book/movie is incredibly gauche
the book is just insufferable at many points

"see what I did there" is actually uttered by the protagonist many times when he's pointing out a pun

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
i liked interstellar more

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
better cinematography, better pacing, and i have a mancrush on mcconaughey

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

or does she?

in conclusion

all the problems are related to the stupid hinge that nobody really wants

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Shaggar posted:

which in turn is related to the stupid philosophy of the manufacturer of "one platform for everything" when it's been proven over and over again it just creates more problems than it solves

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

or does she?

in conclusion

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Space-Pope posted:

I don't know about better pacing, that was probably 2014's space movie's greatest flaw

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shaggar posted:

it's made by ms so you want it

ps how is your lumia

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

wp architects literally being put out to sea

Joe Belfiore is taking a break from Microsoft for a year

quote:

Joe Belfiore, known within Microsoft as a major figure for driving the Windows Phone brand in recent years, has announced plans to take a year long break from the company, to focus on his family and embark on a boating trip across the world.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

it's made by ms so you want it

ps how is your lumia

I don't think they're out yet. I wanted a surface laptop but not one that's also a tablet.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Shaggar posted:

I don't think they're out yet. I wanted a surface laptop but not one that's also a tablet.

your gonna be waiting a while then

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

get out i made this joke already bub :mad:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

get out i made this joke already bub :mad:

drat even my hackery is second fiddle

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

qirex posted:

or does she?

in conclusion

so it's pretty good except for the multitude of problems that make it a piece of poo poo.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Space-Pope posted:

cinematography and pacing both sucked in Interstellar, agreed on the 3rd point though
Well the cinematography didn't straight suck but it wasn't great

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

ps how is your lumia

lol if you think shagger will ever get a windows phone

even he realizes iphones are perfect

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

wyoak posted:

cinematography and pacing both sucked in Interstellar, agreed on the 3rd point though
Well the cinematography didn't straight suck but it wasn't great
wtf was with the animation of the docking attempts, it was like it was stop motion, looked really weird and took me out of it

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Wheany posted:

so it's pretty good except for the multitude of problems that make it a piece of poo poo.

8.3/10 - theverge.com

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyCDLW7n53A

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Ice_2_c_u
Sep 13, 2002

Shaggar posted:

all the problems are related to the stupid [thing] that nobody really wants

everything Microsoft has done since 2012

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
:dong:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lol this is right up there with the camera wart

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
headphone jack is in the upper right corner of the screen aaaaaaaaahhh

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
microsoft cargo culting apple is the best thing to happen tot tehc since the iphone

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
apple is creating the ipad maxi based off of microsoft surface advertising, who's cargo culting who?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

lol

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i told you guys that thing was gonna be topheavy as gently caress

even with the keyboard full of batteries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

How can the tablet be a full PC if it has no USB ports Satya?

• Locked thread