Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.
Paywall stops you getting there from links, but not if you go via searching the title from Google

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
"Who says she was raped"

Haha gently caress off News Ltd.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

I wonder how come no journalist who might be sympathetic to the woman in question have been able to interview her? What could possibly be stopping them?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Not surprising coming from a journalist who has a history of non-consensual entry.
Chris Kenny is piece of poo poo.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Why do I get the impression that every time a politician says "what a grub" they are really harking back to Mr "I'm a fixer" Pyne's grubby episode?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I'm getting reports in that Chris Kenny had sex with a dog? Choosing to believe this.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

quote:

Chris Kenny ‏@chriskkenny

Chatting with refugees and locals in Nauru then watching #theirABC and Gillian Triggs making it up as they go along. #seriously

Triggs has been unable to get access.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
If all the conscientious staff at Nauru and Manus walked away would it be viable for them to stay open?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They spent 55 million dollars to move four people to Cambodia. They'll pay whatever it takes to get people to sell out.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

starkebn posted:

If all the conscientious staff at Nauru and Manus walked away would it be viable for them to stay open?

they would lose, like, 2 people

maybe

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
As terrible as the situation is, I'm pretty sure if you were there and were working to make their lives better, safer or healthier, you would have serious reservations about quitting.

I mean, what are the chances that your job will be taken up by someone with a similar set of morals as you, or even that your position would be filled?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Chris Kenny is such a reprehensible shitlord that he makes me want to like Joe Hildebrand.

There isn't a "Worst Australian of the Year" award that runs opposite the "Australian of the Year" award but I think there should be.

The trophy for it can be of Chris Kenny loving a dog.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Zenithe posted:

As terrible as the situation is, I'm pretty sure if you were there and were working to make their lives better, safer or healthier, you would have serious reservations about quitting.

I mean, what are the chances that your job will be taken up by someone with a similar set of morals as you, or even that your position would be filled?

You'd be weighing that up against the idea of working somewhere where helping the people in your care isn't treated as an offense by your government and the rent-a-thugs they employ.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

You'd be weighing that up against the idea of working somewhere where helping the people in your care isn't treated as an offense by your government and the rent-a-thugs they employ.

I know, but I imagine for people in the profession, the idea of leaving those people to a possibly even worse fate because you leave would definitely be something you would consider.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Frogmanv2 posted:

Why do I get the impression that every time a politician says "what a grub" they are really harking back to Mr "I'm a fixer" Pyne's grubby episode?

I thought the same thing and automatically replaced grub with the other word as I read it. No idea if it's intentional or not though.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
grubstruck?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

So am I reading this wrong or at no point does he refute the allegation that he forced his way into her room? The only thing he refutes in relation to Pamela Curr's quote is that on his second visit (why would he need to visit a second time?) Abyan agreed to a photo if her face was not shown. And I don't know about you guys but if it takes two visits to convince someone to allow you to take their photo and even then you have to agree not to show their face, it doesn't sound like you've had the most pleasant relationship??

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
There is a bunch of stuff here and I'm not inclined to take any of the accounts on face value.

As pure of heart as the asylum seeker resource centre might be, hearsay sucks, which is arguably why if the woman was able to tell her story on her terms to a journalist other than the dogfucker it would probably be a good thing.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I agree having an actual journalist instead of a dogfucker on the ground in Nauru would be great but for some reason only the dogfucker was allowed a visa. :iiam:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The joys of having a client state. Everyone government should have one.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

I will take this opportunity to remind people that, unlike convicted racist Andrew Bolt, not only did Chris Kenny not gently caress a dog (as he was alleged to have done by the Chaser team) but he successfully sued the Chaser team and the ABC to set the public record straight that he did not, as was suggested, gently caress a dog.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Les Affaires posted:

I will take this opportunity to remind people that, unlike convicted racist Andrew Bolt, not only did Chris Kenny not gently caress a dog (as he was alleged to have done by the Chaser team) but he successfully sued the Chaser team and the ABC to set the public record straight that he did not, as was suggested, gently caress a dog.

No he sued them to prove that they alleged that he hosed a dog. Which they claimed they did not allege.

He went to court to prove that someone alleged he hosed a dog.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Les Affaires posted:

Thank goodness that he went through all of this to make sure nobody associates him the loving of dogs.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Zenithe posted:

Thank goodness that he went through all of this to make sure nobody associates him the loving of dogs.

He is however strongly associated with the allegations of dogfucking.

I mean next time someone gets called a dogfucker, the courts are going to have to refer to the precedent of Kenny vs. ABC.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

BBJoey posted:

So am I reading this wrong or at no point does he refute the allegation that he forced his way into her room? The only thing he refutes in relation to Pamela Curr's quote is that on his second visit (why would he need to visit a second time?) Abyan agreed to a photo if her face was not shown. And I don't know about you guys but if it takes two visits to convince someone to allow you to take their photo and even then you have to agree not to show their face, it doesn't sound like you've had the most pleasant relationship??

Just to be clear that article was not written by not-dogfucker Chris Kenny.

Also the tweet by not-dogfucker Chris Kenny ending with #theirABC is amazing.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
In other news the religious wing of the conservatives have gotten in a huff with the revelation that the plebiscite they demanded may result in actual legislation. You see now the idea is the plebiscite is to gauge the publics view of the politicians having a conscience vote! Those goal posts are moving amazingly fast.

quote:

Tasmanian Liberal senator Eric Abetz has just told the ABC this is a “thought bubble and an ambush to boot”. Abetz says the position of the Coalition party room is clear: there will be no change to the party’s position on marriage in this term of government. A plebiscite will be held after the next election and the parliament will respond with a free vote. Abetz says of the renewed push, these are not actions that will help party unity. He’s noted that his colleague Warren Entsch “spends an inordinate amount of time on this issue and good luck to him”.

Abetz has been joined by LNP senator Matt Canavan and ACT senator Zed Seselja. Both Canavan and Seselja say the present parliament should not pass legislation binding a future parliament. But unlike Abetz, his Senate colleagues are both signalling they’ll ultimately accept what the voters decide. In principle at least.

quote:

“What’s the point of holding a plebiscite if then after that plebiscite Malcolm Turnbull gives Coalition members a conscience vote?” the shadow assistant education minister, Amanda Rishworth, has just told Sky News. “The question of whether or not there will be a conscience vote after the plebiscite has still not been resolved,” she said. “He couldn’t answer that question in question time.”

Later Abetz had a rant about the left wing media too and the demonisation of the RELIGIOUS right.

quote:

Q: On that issue, more broadly on that issue, you took a swipe at the media for unfairly treating conservative Christian politicians earlier this week. Do you really think Christian values don’t get a fair hearing?

Eric Abetz

What I said was that there was a negative sentiment over right-conservative politicians and a subset of that was the treatment of Christian conservative politicians. And yes, I do. How often for example have I had to put up with the tag of “religious right” or “far right”, whereas [you] hardly ever hear it of the “religious left” or the “irreligious left” or the “far left” or the “extreme left” when talking about the Australian Greens or vast elements of the Australian Labor party? And it’s this sort of subtle stereotyping and slapping labels on people that a number of my colleagues have got a bit sick and tired of and as a result I gave expression to it. And if I might say, Michael, the public reaction has been overwhelming, people saying …

Q: Religious right, though – it’s not an inaccurate description though, is it?

Well the term – well, if you are into labels Michael, and this is where all I’m seeking is fair treatment. If you say “religious right”, why don’t you say “irreligious left” or “Godless left”? That is what I’m talking about. If you want accurate descriptors where religion all of a sudden becomes so important, fine, but then call out atheists for what they are – atheists. And that never happens, does it Michael? And that is what I am concerned about. And, can I tell you, hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of our fellow Australians are concerned about that unfair treatment as well, keeping in mind that more people go to church of a weekend than go to the football.

Never heard of separation of church and state mistah speakah.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Chris Kenny hosed a dog.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

blacksun posted:

Paywall stops you getting there from links, but not if you go via searching the title from Google

Police on Nauru have interviewed the Somalian refugee at the centre of an abortion controversy but she has declined to make a statement or lodge a rape complaint.

Widespread publicity about the rape claims made by Abyan (not her real name), despite no formal notification having been made, prompted the police to seek her out and give her the opportunity to make a statement.

Three police officers and an interpreter arrived at 23-year-old Abyan’s beachside refugee housing complex mid-afternoon yesterday and waited for almost an hour — apparently because the interpreter refused to co-operate. Eventually the officers spoke to Abyan without the interpreter but with her roommate (a Somali woman with good English) present. The police spent about 15 minutes in the hut and emerged to say Abyan had declined to either make a statement or lodge a formal complaint. Instead, the police had been instructed to talk to her Australian lawyer.

Afterwards Abyan, who had invited The Australian into her home yesterday, again spoke briefly outside her door and agreed to have her photo taken without her face being shown.

She said she was feeling unwell and still was determined to have her pregnancy terminated.

Abyan said she did not know where her termination could or would take place — given abortions are illegal on Nauru — but she reiterated she did not wish to return to Australia. “No, not Australia,” she said, “anywhere but Australia or Nauru.”

Abyan declined to say why she had not reported her alleged rape.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-22/save-the-children-offices-on-nauru-raided-for-second-time/6876444

Nauru must have the most raids per capita of any country in the world.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Chris Kenny hosed a dog.

No, he raped a dog. Unlike David Cameron, he didn't even have the decency to wait for his bestiality companion to die. I guess he gained the consent of said canine in much the same way he gained the consent of Abyan.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

The US was using extraordinary rendition on terrorism suspect. We're using it on refugees.

And their children.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Unimpressed posted:

No, he raped a dog. Unlike David Cameron, he didn't even have the decency to wait for his bestiality companion to die. I guess he gained the consent of said canine in much the same way he gained the consent of Abyan.

he asked the dog and the dog said ok?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Fat Jesus posted:

Only if you believe he asked Abyan and she said OK (and not because he was surrounded by a posse of cops).

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Unimpressed posted:

Only if you believe he asked Abyan and she said OK (and not because he was surrounded by a posse of cops).

Ok so the cops dragged her to the door or used threats to force her to speak to him? Is this what you believe, based on what?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Fat Jesus posted:

When later interviewed the dog described the experience as "rough".

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

quote:

If you want accurate descriptors where religion all of a sudden becomes so important, fine, but then call out atheists for what they are – atheists. And that never happens, does it Michael?

Probably because those atheist politicians don't use it as a basis for denying rights to others.

It's pretty lol that they want to spend tens of millions of dollars on a plebiscite that, if successful, will only allow for a conscious vote that can freely ignore the result anyway.

Fiscal responsibility.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Chris Kenny getting consent from a dog.

Chris Kenny: So how would you like your sex?
Dog: Ruff!

Efb hooooooman

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Fat Jesus posted:

Ok so the cops dragged her to the door or used threats to force her to speak to him? Is this what you believe, based on what?

What, are you a literal child? As if a woman who had been raped, is completely powerless, and is being held in detention needs the cops to drag hey to the door or threaten her? All she'd need to do is see them there, and she'd be scared shitless.

Your avatar text seems rather apt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

Chris Kenny getting consent from a dog.

Chris Kenny: So how would you like your sex?
Dog: Ruff!

Efb hooooooman

To be fair, both are excellent Chris Kenny/Dog puns. :golfclap:

• Locked thread