Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

sullat posted:

Yeah as a family man, I can say that spending time with screaming children is not nearly as satisfying as holding the fate of millions in my hands.

Is spending time with 40 screaming Tea Partiers as satisfying as holding the fate of your children in your hands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Monkey Fracas posted:

What is the official procedure for electing a new Speaker if the current Speaker blows his brains out on national TV in front of Congress

Presumably the same as the current procedure, except with a janitor and a mop to start things off. :saddowns:

Fried Chicken posted:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/polltr...campaign=buffer

ABC/WaPo poll has trump up for the nomination AND general

We deserve this.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 22, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fried Chicken posted:

Know what, I think Boosted C5 might have been on to something when he surrendered, went completely round the bend, and became a prophet of the Trumpocalypse.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The poll says that they think he has the best chance of winning the general of their current clown car. They're probably right...?

Except for that whole thing about having to face a non Republican on stage I don't think the morning zoo style will work the same outside the GOP primary.

E: in the ultimate troll to the GOP, after having secured the nomination, Trump looks at Hillary across the stage, shrugs and wanders off the stage to sign autographs before coming back to the podium. "BTW I quit see ya."

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 22, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Monkey Fracas posted:

What is the official procedure for electing a new Speaker if the current Speaker blows his brains out on national TV in front of Congress

Only more orange.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Would the Republicans allow Trump to be the candidate though ? I don't think they'd give him the nomination even if he legitimately won.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Would the Republicans allow Trump to be the candidate though ? I don't think they'd give him the nomination even if he legitimately won.

It seems as likely as them throwing out their speaker because he dared to keep the government running.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Congress is nearing complete insurrection this is amazing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Monkey Fracas posted:

I guess they start by cleaning the rostrum.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

OAquinas posted:

Only more orange.

Google image search is unhelpful, so I'm curious: where is this gif originally from?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Google image search is unhelpful, so I'm curious: where is this gif originally from?

If I had to guess, something scary about drugs they would show kids in school.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

RuanGacho posted:

Its kind of weird seeing a member of the GOP showing signs of borderline self awareness but I guess self enrichment has never really been their failing.

I hate this trope. You don't become an influential politician without a modicum of self-awareness

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Was it a Pennsylvanian politician a few decades back who blew out his brains on live TV? That was some hosed up poo poo. Boehner's probably going through hell right now but that would loving suck.

e: Yeah, Budd Dwyer.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

Was it a Pennsylvanian politician a few decades back who blew out his brains on live TV? That was some hosed up poo poo. Boehner's probably going through hell right now but that would loving suck.

Bud Dwyer

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

I could defeat Trump in the general election if we were the only two candidates.

Literally me, a random anonymous goon with zero relevant experience, no money, and no party support.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Ofaloaf posted:

e: Yeah, Budd Dwyer.

That's what this song is about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9mJ82x_l-E

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

HFC will support ryan per AP.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Their definition of support is a lot different than ours.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

Labrador says this is NOT an endorsement, but they are issuing a stmt that a "super majority' of HFC behind Ryan

so, uh, that's going to make things interesting.

edit: lawl:

quote:

Many HFC mbrs priv say they'd like to proclaim "victory" if they endorse, and tell Right that Ryan agreed to work w/ them on House rules

(from Costa's twitter)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I wonder if they'll agree to the change in the rules that he wants done so they put down the gun

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The house freedom caucus has realized they can't let themselves be held hostage by a small nutjob right wing minority :laffo:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
If Trump actually starts winning primaries can the establishment GOP still take him down at the convention somehow?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Even if the HFC agrees to support Ryan without him agreeing to their demands, will they and the rest of the GOP go even further and meet the rest of Ryan's demands?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nachos posted:

Webb's a secret Republican that's just using the Democratic debates for some exposure before switching parties midway through the primary

Way behind on the thread, just read this post. Someone buy nachos plat or something

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah seems like a reciprocal face saving measure.

Come on HFC go full Jacobin.

er Go full Thermodorian.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
The vacate the speakership is a house rule right? Not something a committee decides?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

RuanGacho posted:

E: in the ultimate troll to the GOP, after having secured the nomination, Trump looks at Hillary across the stage, shrugs and wanders off the stage to sign autographs before coming back to the podium. "BTW I quit see ya."
Next year people are going to be debating how you knew. Some will say it was a lucky guess, others will say you had inside information.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

So basically Ryan needs to decide if supermajority but no endorsement is enough, and we need to find out if they'll accept his other conditions. Will be interesting but I suspect that the 'supermajority' backing Ryan means they know they can't balk at the rest.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

Robert Costa ‏@costareports 1m1 minute ago
Mulvaney tonight on HFC mtg: “It was more than two thirds [for Ryan]. When I left, it was just a small handful” opposing.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

smg77 posted:

If Trump actually starts winning primaries can the establishment GOP still take him down at the convention somehow?

Only if the delegate count is very close. If Trump somehow won a large majority of delegates, then I think they have no way out.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ryan is getting suckered into being the next sacrifice.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the plot thickens:

quote:

The House Freedom Caucus just adjourned its meeting and declared that it will not endorse Paul Ryan for speaker or accede to his conditions for an endorsement, but that a super-majority of members of the Freedom Caucus do support him for speaker, Tierney Sneed reports from the Hill.

In purely numerical terms, that appears to give Ryan enough votes to secure the speakership in a vote of the full House, but not on the terms he laid out. This looks like an effort to put the ball back in Ryan's court. The question at this moment: Will he take it and go home? More soon ...

(from TPM)

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
It's really troubling that 40 people can hold the world economy hostage over a game of "...no I'm the real conservative!"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

evilweasel posted:

the plot thickens:

(from TPM)

:lol: "So we'll vote for you as speaker and the moment you raise the debt limit we're going to shoot you".

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

This is so gloriously stupid.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DemeaninDemon posted:

It's really troubling that 40 people can hold the world economy hostage over a game of "...no I'm the real conservative!"

Don't they need the Dems to vacate the speaker chair with them? I gotta think if we really get under the gun, the Democrats aren't going to go ":lol: yeah gently caress John Boehner, let's go speakerless with the government teetering on the brink of default."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Don't they need the Dems to vacate the speaker chair with them? I gotta think if we really get under the gun, the Democrats aren't going to go ":lol: yeah gently caress John Boehner, let's go speakerless with the government teetering on the brink of default."

Even if the motion is put forward its as bad as if it passed. The democrats will vote to save the 'sane' speaker and said speaker will be forever tainted as a democrat puppet.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Zombie Samurai posted:

This is so gloriously stupid.

Everyone involved just want to avoid taking any heat over this. What a bunch of cowards.

No way Ryan takes the deal. He doesn't want it to begin with. I believe he'll stick to his terms with 100% compliance, or no deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity Rudy
Oct 8, 2008

Taste The Rainbow!
Washington Post:
‘Supermajority’ of House Freedom Caucus to back Paul Ryan’s speaker bid

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...61dc_story.html

Breitbart:
"AT LEAST 75 PERCENT OPPOSED: FREEDOM CAUCUS LIKELY TO NIX PAUL RYAN’S SPEAKERSHIP BID"
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/10/21/at-least-75-percent-opposed-freedom-caucus-likely-to-nix-paul-ryans-speakership-bid/

What is going on here?

Fruity Rudy fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 22, 2015

• Locked thread