Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

seiferguy posted:

Edit: Red Mages were bad classes in almost every FF anyways so they shouldn't be a class in 14 to begin with.

Truth.

People just liked the hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Failboattootoot posted:

I agree with the last sentence the most.

That said, making red mage a support caster wouldn't be that hard. Same dps as brd and mch or slightly higher if you intend for them to be in melee. Same tp and mp regen auras. Give them a couple heal spells for ~*flavor reasons*~ but give them cooldowns so they don't function as a primary healer. Something along the lines of Clemency. Then just fill out their skillset as a dps. Hell, give them blm's phase gameplay but in melee range with elemental sword strikes. I dunno, the concept is workable but like hell should they add a class primarily known for it's hat over samurai or dancer.

That's an easy class to make but then you'll run into the same issue people are having with PLD now. Clemency is a cool spell but is rarely used because a tank should never need to heal. It offers no good advantage over other classes.

Edit: drat people agree that Red Mage was a bad class. I was hoping to fight someone over it!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

flying magitek armor with the ff6 music :shittypop:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

seiferguy posted:

That's an easy class to make but then you'll run into the same issue people are having with PLD now. Clemency is a cool spell but is rarely used because a tank should never need to heal. It offers no good advantage over other classes.

Edit: drat people agree that Red Mage was a bad class. I was hoping to fight someone over it!

Fighting over it has become mainstream, thus agreeing that it is bad has become the new clique standard.
Although it was pretty cool in 5.

Ciaphas posted:

flying magitek armor with the ff6 music :shittypop:
Now the Magitek vs. Fat Chocobo war shall take to the skies!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

seiferguy posted:

The heals would be strictly there for tradition's sake. It doesn't really matter if the heal spells are worth a poo poo as long as they were competitive with bards and machinists in damage and support ability. Everything else is just fluff.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I still hope that 4.0's tank is Dancer and it's an agility (not evasion) tank. Red Mage could also be a healer with support abilities, kind of like AST. Also it'd make sense if they do what I have my money on in the new job betting pool, Dancer/RDM/Samuari, where Samurai would be a dps.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Make the Red Mage heals HoTs or auras and bam, it becomes easy to fit them in.

I'm convinced that Red Mage would work best as a Tank.

1. We have enough DPS as is, and a Healer wouldn't stand out as much since Healing in FFXIV is already damage heavy.
2. A niche of "Support Tank" in the same way Bard and Machinist are "Support DPS" is there and waiting to be filled.
3. A Mage Tank would be awesome.

On3moresoul
Apr 22, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Keep in mind I am brand new, but how is Shiva not being vulnerable to fire magic a good thing and how could that not be balanced? Does she also not health herself with ice magic? Building an encounter with the idea of fire magic being a part of it somehow isn't necessarily a bad thing though it does create a class demand.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

Just do a third ACN job that has a tank pet with a taunt. :getin:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

On3moresoul posted:

isn't necessarily a bad thing though it does create a class demand.

That's the flawed part of your statement. Not everyone likes BLM or has it leveled

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

On3moresoul posted:

Keep in mind I am brand new, but how is Shiva not being vulnerable to fire magic a good thing and how could that not be balanced? Does she also not health herself with ice magic? Building an encounter with the idea of fire magic being a part of it somehow isn't necessarily a bad thing though it does create a class demand.
The only DPS in the game that uses any elemental attacks is BLM, and they don't have variety in what elements they use to attack. If you have elemental resistance have a big effect then you simply make some encounters where BLM is the only choice (if they're weak to fire), some where BLM is completely useless (if they're strong to fire) and all others where there's no real difference.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Also, isn't the gimmick of BLM that it moves between fire and ice? So there would be a phase of your rotation where you'd do damage and then a phase where you'd end up healing Shiva before switching back to the damage phase.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

I kind of wish they might actually do this, along with a new tanking class so there's something to level in an expansion, but it will never happen :(

Maybe they could add it in like 3.3 or something like Ninja :v:

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 22, 2015

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
With all these new flying mount options I hope they put in a proper flying mount roulette option (or just have it only get flying mounts if in a flight enabled zone).

Stoked about flying bomb chairs and Magitek though.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Dr Pepper posted:

Drk is already in the game

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

If bears do not fly with 3.1 there will be blood. :black101:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

If bears do not fly with 3.1 there will be blood. :black101:

I want flying adamantoises at some point. Have them spin really fast like the minions do.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Tortolia posted:

I want flying adamantoises at some point. Have them spin really fast like the minions do.

I too am a friend of Gamera

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Dancer totally could be a block tank. Use that long sash-ribbon to block and deflect attacks.

hobbesmaster posted:

Druids were horrible for WoW, let's not repeat that debacle.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ActionZero posted:

The only DPS in the game that uses any elemental attacks is BLM, and they don't have variety in what elements they use to attack. If you have elemental resistance have a big effect then you simply make some encounters where BLM is the only choice (if they're weak to fire), some where BLM is completely useless (if they're strong to fire) and all others where there's no real difference.
BRD's Windbite is Wind elemental and they kind of got to experience what it would be like for an attack of yours being useless on a 'boss' in Labyrinth of Ancients, with Atomos being immune to Venomous Bite. That filtered into half Bloodletter procs since you could only put up the one dot on it and was the source of many 'oh god we have four BRD's this is going to be annoying' of mine back when it was introduced.
WHM's are the only other class that rely heavily on aspected damage as BLM.

Ultimately everyone figured out that having elemental resistances/weaknesses in an online game where you want classes to have parity with each other just gives you more headaches than it's worth.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
I'm an ice mage!

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

Mind for self-heal power. (Even though they're based off of attack power...)

No one has done Dex yet (even though PLD is the only tank that actually gets the most out of it.)

kafziel posted:

... Paladins get something out of Dex? What, does it impact Blocks?

seiferguy posted:

Maybe one day we'll get an evasion tank class and DEX will be useful for that.

They removed DEX and STR impacting parry and block rates.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Hunter Noventa posted:

Never using anything but the Magitek Armor mount again.

same but the bomb chair

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

On3moresoul posted:

Do you remember Molten Core and Blackwing Lair from Vanilla WoW, and how an entire subclass was basically ostracized from the end game?

That was bad.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Kwyndig posted:

Flying loving everything :allears:

Flying passenger mounts is going to change exploration though if you don't have to unlock flying to ride along.

Given that the wedding rings apparently don't work in zones where you don't have flying (I'm not 100% clear on the details since I never gay catgirl married anyone), they apparently already thought of that at least once, so I'm going to bet that you won't be able to ride along or at least fly along if you don't have flying.

Edit: I suppose I should mention for anyone who is unaware, the wedding ring lets you teleport to where your partner is. Clearly that would break exploration if your partner has flying in a zone where you don't, so they just don't work in that case. I think it takes you to the nearest aetheryte instead but I'm not sure.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Kuvo posted:

same but the bomb chair

same but ADS

yoship, please give ADS unique music

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

On3moresoul posted:

Only one job provides a significant amount of fire damage (BLM) and the way BLM spells interact with one another means that if a BLM can't cast both fire and ice spells they are going to do less damage than literally everybody else.

The issue is that none of the jobs chooses what damage type they do, because the developers figured that having Fire spells actually play a different role than Ice spells was more interesting than just having two "Cost X MP for Y damage" spells that are just different flavors like most FF games. Since nobody can choose what damage type they do (and BLM in particular has to do two or their performance is terrible), having any part of an encounter buff or penalize you for anything more granular than "physical damage" or "magical damage" means that a bunch of DPS will get tossed for that encounter.

Niton posted:

same but ADS

yoship, please give ADS unique music

The ADS music is just someone reading the Testimonial key item text from FFXI because you did enough frontlines to win 200 times.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm beginning to remember why I originally stopped leveling MCH at 42. This feels oddly unsatisfying. Maybe it's the lack of graphics on e.g. Wildfire detonating or something :shrug:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Do you remember Molten Core and Blackwing Lair from Vanilla WoW, and how an entire subclass was basically ostracized from the end game?

That was bad.

That subclass punched everyone in the dick for the 2 raids following those two though.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Klades posted:

The ADS music is just someone reading the Testimonial key item text from FFXI because you did enough frontlines to win 200 times.

It amazes me anyone has that mount at all. At my win rate, if I were to play a PVP match every day (fat chance given the queue times), it would take me nearly 5 years to get 200 wins.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

You could maybe pull off an elemental gimmick if you tuned it so that a modified BLM rotation would do a normal amount of damage (for example, make the boss heal from fire and take extra damage from ice so BLMs just spam B3/B4 at it). The problem is that it'd still be a gimmick that makes one class's life harder and does absolutely nothing to anyone else... and spamming B3/B4/T3 all day would get rid of the actual challenging bit of playing BLM.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

http://gamerescape.com/2015/10/22/ffxiv-patch-3-1-preview-dungeons-and-flying-mounts/

I can't wait to spend the next four months in these new dungeons, Amdapor Keep hard and Alexander floor 3.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I'm wondering what they are thinking in terms of item level requirements for these new things. Void Ark is i175, dungeons at i170. Getting to i170 is no meager task right now, so hopefully they make that easier than mashing your head against fractal and neverreap and hunts forever

yoshida slowly choking the casual players

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
event is lame but the rewards are cool

ilifinicus posted:

I'm wondering what they are thinking in terms of item level requirements for these new things. Void Ark is i175, dungeons at i170. Getting to i170 is no meager task right now, so hopefully they make that easier than mashing your head against fractal and neverreap and hunts forever

yoshida slowly choking the casual players

yea it's a pretty big jump from 145 (current experts) to 170+. hell i know some people (like me!) didn't even have the ilvl to do the last story dungeon when they get there because the msq like doesn't give out accessories at all. it's kinda bs, especially because things like void ark are specifically meant to catch people up

i also wonder if that means they're gonna dump neverfracal and the fractal continuingtonotgetthisinroulette out of the expert roulette. that'd be pretty lame so it's probably exactly what se will do

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I hope they give the Golden Magitek Armor the cannon emotes from the regular version along with flying.

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
I don't ever want to do fractal or neverreap ever again so dumping them out of the expert pool would not be lame

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
only having 2 dungeons in expert roulette is never going to not be lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I feel really bad for the people that still need to do Ultros. Got it for Trials roulette yesterday and people started leaving almost immediately. Luckily we filled back up fairly quickly and managed to get through it but if there were any new people there they'd have been totally screwed over.

It's also poo poo like this why I never choose duty in progress when doing trials. Too many times i've come into an empty steps/ultros.

• Locked thread