Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Today in senate estimates Senator Wong suggests George Brandis is a child to which he replies that she's an epic noob and to "stu-fu". Bernardi cuts in suggesting he is "laughing my arse off" which may be a breach of the committee rules as misleading speech for it is apparent that his arse is not detached in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Unimpressed posted:

What, are you a literal child? As if a woman who had been raped, is completely powerless, and is being held in detention needs the cops to drag hey to the door or threaten her? All she'd need to do is see them there, and she'd be scared shitless.

Your avatar text seems rather apt.

loving lol. The cops are responding to her report she was raped. she refuses to press charges or say who when or what happened. If she could provide this somewhat important info I think you'd find she'd get quite a lot of help, which makes some wonder why she claims she was raped if she won't give any further details. Plus you don't have any actual evidence she agreed to be interviewed because she was poo poo scared unless you get all your news from sjw refugee activists on twitter.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I get all my news from Chris Kenny so I'm 100% right 100% of the time.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Fat Jesus posted:

loving lol. The cops are responding to her report she was raped. she refuses to press charges or say who when or what happened. If she could provide this somewhat important info I think you'd find she'd get quite a lot of help, which makes some wonder why she claims she was raped if she won't give any further details. Plus you don't have any actual evidence she agreed to be interviewed because she was poo poo scared unless you get all your news from sjw refugee activists on twitter.

There is a rather helpful and informative royal commission into institutional abuse being held at the moment that might help you understand this issue.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
First dogfucker on the moon

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
First dogfucker on Nauru

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've got a word replacer. Making stupid news better.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Fat Jesus posted:

I believe "SJW refugee activists" over Chris Kenny any day of the week and twice on Thursdays. It's because I'm not a piece of poo poo with legs (you do have legs, right?).

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Jumpingmanjim posted:

First dogfucker on Nauru

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Unimpressed posted:

I believe "SJW refugee activists" over Chris Kenny any day of the week and twice on Thursdays. It's because I'm not a piece of poo poo with legs (you do have legs, right?).

tell me more about how you believe people who think its cool to be offended by literally anything

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
We are reconfiguring an existing profile of spend in a way we think engenders workforce participation.

What a fantastic turn of phrase to describe welfare cuts

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Laserface posted:

tell me more about how you believe people who think its cool to be offended by literally anything

I doubt they were offended. I'd go for outraged, appalled, distraught. You know, the sort of emotions normal people have when they hear about a helpless abuse victim being treated inhumanely and being taken advantage of. On second thought, I guess you wouldn't know....

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Fat Jesus posted:

The cops left after being told to speak to her Australian lawyer, straight from your repost. 'Speak to my lawyer' is pretty loving common.

Now if you are not a complete deadshit and have been following news from Nauru, you would know that a) refugees are regularly threatened/sometimes attacked/definitely hated by locals b) the Nauru police are a total joke, to the point where it's not actually possible to make jokes about them they're that hosed up.

You would also know some months ago there was a report of a woman being found naked, beaten, claiming to be raped, on the side of the road and was treated loving abysmally by the Nauru police, to the point that a medical staff member who was eventually allowed to treat her after a lengthy police interrogation (yes, interrogation) was horrified, and it doesn't take a loving genius to take details from recent articles about Abyan to connect dots to the old articles and conclude Abyan is the same woman.

This is also on the heels of Border Force last week pulling a fast one by chartering a flight to get Abyan back to Nauru before her Australian lawyers could seek an injunction to stop that from happening.

Do you think she has a justifiable reason to tell police of any nation to piss the hell off and speak to her lawyer?

Also the SJW refugee activist on twitter in question is a campaign coordinator for the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre. The ASRC are really good people. If they are wrong, it's because they've been mislead by their source/mistranslation, they are not the equivalent of ambulance chasers.

And yep, I would still take their word any day of the week over Chris Kenny, who is a legit piece of poo poo with zero decency or sensitivity and probably thinks sticking a camera in Abyan's face and pressing for an interview is doing her a favour and not traumatising her further.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

tell me more about how you believe people who think its not cool to be offended by literally anything poo poo on other people just because you have the position of power

Fixed that for you.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Fat Jesus posted:

gently caress's sake, the rape happened months ago and she wasn't listened to at the time. She's months pregnant and has been to Australia and back with no joy. "loving lol" if you think she should be charitable to a bunch of cops turning up at her door telling her to talk to a fuckwit Aussie dog fucker

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Bank lending lacked 'common sense', says APRA

The powerful banking regulator has criticised the mortgage lending behaviour of some banks before it stepped up scrutiny of the sector earlier this year, saying some lending standards had fallen to "horribly low" levels that lacked "common sense."

The chairman of the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority, Wayne Byres, also conceded that the regulator would have liked to uncover the poor lending standards earlier than it did.

His comments are the latest negative assessment of credit standards in the home loan market - a problem the regulator has sought to address through a series of curbs on bank lending activity.

The Reserve Bank last week also said lending standards in the property market - which the two regulators view as the main risk to financial stability - had been worse than thought.

Appearing before a Senate estimates in Canberra, Mr Byres highlighted the regulator's surprise at how far bank credit standards had been eroded by competition between banks.

It launched detailed reviews of the major banks' loan standards in the first half of the year, which led to banks toughening up their credit policies for many borrowers.

"We were a bit surprised by how much the competitive pressures in the industry and the competitive dynamic in the industry, had led people to do things, albeit at the margins but nonetheless, do things that were really in our view lacking in common sense," Mr Byres said.

These flaws in loan standards came despite repeated warnings from APRA over the housing market - where very low interest rates, rising house prices, and high household debt have increased the amount of risk significantly.

"We had spent a lot of time in 2013 and 2014 reminding [Authorised deposit-taking institutions], reminding their management, reminding their boards, about the importance of lending standards, we sought assurances from boards that they were on top of these issues," he said.

Later in the hearing, Mr Byres defended APRA's 10 per cent cap on housing investor credit growth against claims it was preventing some smaller lenders from competing aggressively in regional areas where house price growth was soft. He argued competition between banks had dragged loan standards to "horribly levels" in some areas.

"I don't deny there's an element of bluntness to it, and it's very difficult for us to go around and say the right number in this postcode is 'X' and the number in another postcode is 'Y,'" he said.

"Does this have competitive implications? Yes it does, but the whole issue I think started because competition was driving standards to a horribly low level."

Mr Byres said APRA wished the problems had been detected earlier than they were, but argued standards had improved over this year.

"With the benefit of hindsight, obviously we wish we got onto this a bit sooner, but we are where we are. If we act too soon we get accused of being too interventionist and managing institution, it's a delicate balance to be had," he said.

Mr Byres said the quality of lending now was "noticeably superior" than what was happening before it wrote to banks late last year outlining various actions to improve loan standards.

It also forcing banks to slow the rate of credit growth in the housing investor loan market to less than 10 per cent a year.

In response, banks are forcing investors to stump up bigger deposits, they have raised interest rates, and customers' ability to cope with higher repayments are being tested more rigorously.

The deterioration in loan standards was not always obvious, Mr Byres said.

Spotting the problems required taking a more "forensic" look at what banks were doing, such as the calculations they were making to test customers' ability to pay off loans or deal with higher interest rates.

"When we did that in a more forensic way, we weren't particularly comfortable with what we saw," he said.

As well as scrutinising bank lending, APRA has also been pushing up capital requirements for banks, which has prompted the majors to raise more than $18 billion in equity capital.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/business/banking-and-finance/bank-lending-lacked-commonsense-says-apra-20151021-gkfbkt#ixzz3pGYQ7n91
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

how do you know unless...

you're the dogfucker! :aaaaa:

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
lmao at anyone unironically saying sjw

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
quit refusing to take your diarrhoea medication

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Seagull posted:

lmao at anyone unironically saying sjw

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

im a social justice wizard *casts Protection from Law @ u*

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Chris Kenny will be remembered as the man who didn't go out with a bang but with a whimper.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav posted:

Chris Kenny will be remembered as the man who didn't go out with a bang but with a whippet

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hooman posted:

Fixed that for you.

hmm yes "posting on the internet" = position of power.

keep in mind im referring to SJWs as a whole and not this specific case of nauru horror.

which is bad.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

CLOSE ENOUGH.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Laserface posted:

hmm yes "posting on the internet" = position of power.

keep in mind im referring to SJWs as a whole and not this specific case of nauru horror.

which is bad.

take the diarrhoea medicine paul

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Chris Kenny will be remembered as the man who didn't go out with a bang but with a whippet

EDIT: Auspol: Not with a bang but with a whippet

hooman fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 22, 2015

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
I am confused, what is wrong with fighting for social justice?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Solemn Sloth posted:

:master:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

KennyTheFish posted:

White males don't like being told they're being lovely to people that they're being lovely to.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

KennyTheFish posted:

Because, as a straight white man, I see no need for it and in fact would only serve to be harmed by its continuation.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
To distract you from the pain that is Naru may I present Brandis pulling on his skin during the emoji debate in estimates

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

KennyTheFish posted:

When people talk about SJWs they're generally talking about a particularly annoying type of person that 'fights' for justice by harassing people on social media, not people who actually contribute.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

open24hours posted:

When people talk about SJWs they're generally talking about a particularly annoying type of person that 'fights' for justice by harassing people on social media, not people who actually contribute.

Social justice leaners vs social justice lifters?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

open24hours posted:

When people talk about skeletons they're generally talking about a particularly annoying type of person that 'fights' for justice by harassing people on social media, not people who actually contribute.

I'd take the harassing people on twitter so that they're nicer people types every single time over the people who think Naru is good. hth.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's not like you have to choose.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

When people talk about skeletons they're generally talking about a particularly annoying type of person that 'fights' for justice by harassing people on social media, not people who actually contribute.

m8 I'll harass anyone I want

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
the sjw bogeyman is fake buddies, now sit down and take your diarrhoea medicine

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Chris Kenny banged a whippet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange