Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Mazed posted:

Yet Kuja is the best main villain in the FF series hands-down, because of how much of his butt we can see.

You know it to be true.

I made this to prove it.

Nothing at all!

Nothing at all!

Nothing at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Kuja's design has gone 200% David Bowie because he is truly Amano's legacy.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Fabulousvillain posted:

Kuja's design has gone 200% David Bowie because he is truly Amano's legacy.
Well of course YOU like it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Winklebottom posted:

I made this to prove it.

This is excellent. :golfclap:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Squalitude posted:

she should at least murdered Quina, it would give him some meaning in the game!

But then who would she murder that's completely and utterly disposable otherwise if you, like me the first time through, never bothered to get Quina here? Because they're entirely optional at this point. There's absolutely no reason to enter the marsh other than to get Quina and if you don't know they even exist that's not going to happen.

Zidane? Oh wait, protagonist immunity. Vivi? Most likely deuteragonist and kind of super important to the overall plot right now to the point that even Kuja realises it. Also a child. Freya? Dude, please, this is kind of her plot arc right now.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Winklebottom posted:

You know it to be true.

I made this to prove it.

Nothing at all!

Nothing at all!

Nothing at all!
That's pretty great.

:butt:goddamn buttflaps:butt:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I don't know what you're all talking about with Quina being disposable. Quina is the only character besides Zidane that this game never forgets about.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

ZiegeDame posted:

I don't know what you're all talking about with Quina being disposable. Quina is the only character besides Zidane that this game never forgets about.
Are you insinuating the game forgets Doctor Tot?!?!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
personally on Kuja, Final Fantasy is constantly giving you female party members that parade around in underwear and recently in Final Fantasy XV they dressed up a male party member more because he made the male audience uncomfortable, so I'm all forletting Kuja going outside wearing that, especially if he's going to be an awesome character you fear and respect on top of that.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Acne Rain posted:

I'm all forletting Kuja going outside wearing that,

And in the rain too! He'll catch his death...

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Acne Rain posted:

personally on Kuja, Final Fantasy is constantly giving you female party members that parade around in underwear and recently in Final Fantasy XV they dressed up a male party member more because he made the male audience uncomfortable, so I'm all forletting Kuja going outside wearing that, especially if he's going to be an awesome character you fear and respect on top of that.

Wait, which FFXV character? I know they covered up the protagonist from FF Mobius - following feedback.

The only things I recall regarding changes in XV is actually making one of the male characters bare-chested (having originally worn a shirt), and toning down the breast jiggle physics of a female NPC because even the director thought it was "a bit much".

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 22, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Probably him, then, I'm not much of a final fantasy guy and have a bad memory.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Kuja is extremely cool and I wish to be as beautiful as him one day.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Acne Rain posted:

personally on Kuja, Final Fantasy is constantly giving you female party members that parade around in underwear

What are you even talking about, you either use the term "underwear" very broadly or you've been playing a different series because the majority of FF games don't match that description at all.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It's basically just Rikku.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I was going off a half remembered blog post and selectively remembering a few characters so I'm probably just wrong, sorry, I do not want a horrible derail over which female characters were dressed appropriately or not

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

But then who would she murder that's completely and utterly disposable otherwise if you, like me the first time through, never bothered to get Quina here? Because they're entirely optional at this point. There's absolutely no reason to enter the marsh other than to get Quina and if you don't know they even exist that's not going to happen.

I would have and would still fully endorse if the games design forced you to get Quina, had Beatrix kill Quina in Burmecia, and then have Quina show up again later in the game when the game does force you to recruit her. Have Zidane and the team internally freak out a bit, but have Quina be completely oblivious to any previous actions.

Lavender menace
Nov 7, 2012

by Lowtax

Sum Mors posted:

I would have and would still fully endorse if the games design forced you to get Quina, had Beatrix kill Quina in Burmecia, and then have Quina show up again later in the game when the game does force you to recruit her. Have Zidane and the team internally freak out a bit, but have Quina be completely oblivious to any previous actions.

Every disc should end with Quina dying then in the next have the party meeting a new Quina when you go through a Marsh.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Lavender menace posted:

Every disc should end with Quina dying then in the next have the party meeting a new Quina when you go through a Marsh.

Quina is pretty loving hardy, plot wise. Seriously, the bitch is a tank

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I don't know if you'd call this fan art accompanying the LP, but the LP inspired me to review this game's first disc! This was one of my favorite videos to make because I put some slight silly poo poo in there and FFIX is way more important to me than I realized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7HqgAWHnWY

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm on phone or I'd grab that picture of Nooj that popped up in the FFVII thread. Remember the artist we're talking about here. If there's even such thing as dumbest, not wearing much does not cut it. :colbert:

Ah, Nooj. I'm not sure who has the best hair, him or Seymour...

And we can't forget Leblanc!

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Hymirvetr posted:

It's basically just Rikku.

Hey.

That was a swimsuit.

And a scarf for good taste.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Wow, so much awesome stuff. Updated the second post with said awesome stuff. Will likely go back later and add Simple Simon's guide posts as well since his commentary on those are pretty entertaining.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mazed posted:

Hey.

That was a swimsuit.

And a scarf for good taste.

Actually, she wears a swimsuit if you get a certain scene in Gagazet.

She actually puts more clothes on.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I for one pray that the day I feel that I'm not dressed enough for swimming never comes.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Acne Rain posted:

Can honestly say that never happened when I played the game; I mostly just found Kuja annoying as hell. :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

W.T. Fits posted:

Can honestly say that never happened when I played the game; I mostly just found Kuja annoying as hell. :v:
The same.

The things around him I have feared and respected, but Kuja only got that once.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Hey, come on now. Kuja's theatrical, but he's certainly menacing.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Hey, come on now. Kuja's theatrical, but he's certainly menacing.

I must respectfully disagree; he comes across to me like watered down hybrid of Kefka and Sephiroth, and ends up failing to capture the essence of what made those two such good villains (and I'm not all that fond of Sephiroth, either, when it comes down to it).

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

I must respectfully disagree; he comes across to me like watered down hybrid of Kefka and Sephiroth, and ends up failing to capture the essence of what made those two such good villains (and I'm not all that fond of Sephiroth, either, when it comes down to it).

I agree with you, the main thing I see about Kuja being a budget villain would be drifting off to spoilers.

The simplest thing I can think of that doesn't go in that direction is how that scene played out. Beatrix curbstomped you because she was challenged by some ignorant peon and you ruined her n00b-griefing fun.

Kuja somehow provided Black Mages. Kind of evil yeah, but Hojo-tier or Dr. Lugae evil at this point of the game. Sure some of the party might have a valid personal grudge against someone like that, but at the moment? meh.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

FeyerbrandX posted:

I agree with you, the main thing I see about Kuja being a budget villain would be drifting off to spoilers.

The simplest thing I can think of that doesn't go in that direction is how that scene played out. Beatrix curbstomped you because she was challenged by some ignorant peon and you ruined her n00b-griefing fun.

Kuja somehow provided Black Mages. Kind of evil yeah, but Hojo-tier or Dr. Lugae evil at this point of the game. Sure some of the party might have a valid personal grudge against someone like that, but at the moment? meh.

Plus he kind of directly acknowledges that the party will be a thorn in their side for a while to come and then just walks off instead of offing them. And then he flies off on a dragon because he's a special snowflake and better than the rest of the bad guys. I prefer Brahne. So far she just seems like a horrible, gluttonous person that just so happens to be ruling a country. You know, that good old sensible evil present in the real world.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Kuja is an excellently scored antagonist. I can say that much right now.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
A lot of the stuff Kuja does makes a lot more sense later on when you've got a better grasp of his personality, and I don't mean that in a "I will spare these people because they're so far beneath me they don't matter" kind of way.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Kuja ain't got poo poo on Lord Yuna.

All my hate. :argh:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Oak Staff is the reason it's not really worth it to try to steal the Ice Staff, because you can get it immediately afterwards. Bio completely outclasses Blizzara, even against ice-weak enemies, because hitting a weakness doesn't ignore defense. Blizzara is only slightly better if you're hitting an ice-weak enemy AND Vivi is wearing an ice-boosting item.

Also the fact that stop and petrify cause you to lose out on the rewards from the enemy means that they're useless outside of avoiding XP from forced battles in a low-level run. If you only care about eliminating the enemies and don't care about XP/gil/items, there's already a much better ability. It has 100% accuracy, no MP cost, hits every enemy on the field, and Zidane learns it right at the beginning of the game.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I'm betting Stop is going to be really drat useful for getting AP in the low-level run, too. And maybe one other thing. (Not plot related at all, but the ability hasn't come up in the LP yet)Does Stop/Petrify count as a kill for Dragon's Crest?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ZiegeDame posted:

Does Stop/Petrify count

I'm not sure if Stop qualifies since the enemy remains on the field, but Petrify most certainly does.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Kuja is basically easier to swallow once you realize he's exactly what would happen if Destro somehow got really hyped for Shakespeare plays and decided to become the most flamboyant peacock alive.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Kuja ain't got poo poo on Lord Yuna.

All my hate. :argh:

And that's why I did not include that monster on my list of "trivial middle-management level jerk face scientists"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I for one am confident that this villain we have seen for all of an eighth of an update will turn out to be more interesting once he shows up for longer than it takes to heat up a can of soup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

FeyerbrandX posted:

And that's why I did not include that monster on my list of "trivial middle-management level jerk face scientists"

Hojo is arguably the real villain of FFVII, as everything is his fault. He's the one who decided to build his son out of spare parts from John Carpenter's The Thing.

• Locked thread