Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I want to learn iOS app development. I have Xcode downloaded and installed but I'm not signed up to be a developer. How much can I do before I have to pay the $99? Am I able to code some things and deploy them to my phone to test and play around with?

Yep. Once you want to distribute through the App Store, or (I assume) if you want to use iCloud or Game Center or server-side stuff like that, I think you need to fork out.

quote:

I also saw that to register I can choose between an individual or company account, company account requiring me to actually found a company as an LLC or something, while an individual account would publish all my apps under my real name if I ever got that far. Is it easy/possible to just start an individual account and later on if I think I've got something then I could convert it to a company account?

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

thegasman2000 posted:

I will explain the whole app idea to you and see if you can help me figure a way around this issue.

I download the app... I link it to my facebook and I get a list of my friends.. I select one and then the app opens a FAKE messenger page. I can then write a conversation. Typing BOTH sides of it. So I can mess about and have some fun. Then it posts the page to the real FB when I press a button.

The FAKE messenger page looks like an ordinary messenger app in the same style with the little circle profile pics and friend name.

So with the old API this is a walk in the park. Now not so much. I am thinking when you invite a friend it pulls their names and profile pics. Thats all I want to be able to use in the secondary page.

Ah yes, I was just thinking we needed more ways to harass people and ruin their lives from 500 miles away. Thanks Internet!

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Ender.uNF posted:

Ah yes, I was just thinking we needed more ways to harass people and ruin their lives from 500 miles away. Thanks Internet!

Why 500 miles not more? Your thinking locally not gloooooobaly.

It's a friend who wants it making and as I have an iPhone and know one end from the other o was his obvious go to guy.... I am sure you have had similar interactions. Money is there to make it though which is different to normal.

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

Why 500 miles not more? Your thinking locally not gloooooobaly.

It's a friend who wants it making and as I have an iPhone and know one end from the other o was his obvious go to guy.... I am sure you have had similar interactions. Money is there to make it though which is different to normal.

Hope your friend who wants to make an app to lie is telling the truth about paying you

dunno why they wouldn't be telling the truth about that, but I just got a hunch here

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I see the irony here! Long time mate and good for the money.

It's a silly joke app with the potential to go viral as news agencies go hysterical about it... Seems like a good idea to me! With very good t and c's obviously. It's annoying have 12 months ago this is the worlds easiest implementation.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

thegasman2000 posted:

I see the irony here! Long time mate and good for the money.

It's a silly joke app with the potential to go viral as news agencies go hysterical about it... Seems like a good idea to me! With very good t and c's obviously. It's annoying have 12 months ago this is the worlds easiest implementation.

Just use Photoshop. That way you can libel people without breaking Facebook TOS (and possibly trademark) and likely violating Apple's app review guidelines.

This is almost as bad as the inverse honesty box a former housemate built so people could anonymously broadcast what they really thought about someone.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Why do I get SIGKILL'd when I change the photos permissions in Settings? (e; now that i've thought about it a bit more, it makes sense that it does it)

Also gently caress UIWebView and its contentInset. It's completely random what it's going to do. Die. (Also gently caress me for having to use webviews anyways :v::()

dc3k fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 19, 2015

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

status posted:

Why do I get SIGKILL'd when I change the photos permissions in Settings? (e; now that i've thought about it a bit more, it makes sense that it does it)

Also gently caress UIWebView and its contentInset. It's completely random what it's going to do. Die. (Also gently caress me for having to use webviews anyways :v::()

Changing some/any app permissions in device settings kills the app by design, not a bug

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

pokeyman posted:

Yep. Once you want to distribute through the App Store, or (I assume) if you want to use iCloud or Game Center or server-side stuff like that, I think you need to fork out.

Yep.

So theoretically, I would be able to write one off apps for my own use without paying a cent?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

So theoretically, I would be able to write one off apps for my own use without paying a cent?

It's a new thing as of iOS 9 and Xcode 7, but yes; I let my developer account lapse last month and can build my own apps onto my 6S without issue. It's all tied to the iOS device and Xcode being signed into the same Apple ID.

As pokeyman says this may not apply to certain features that require setting up in the developer portal, and particularly in the case of GameCenter (if it does work at all) you'd be locked to the sandbox environment, but for the kind of apps you'd write for yourself it should be fine.

Edit: You may need to re-deploy the apps each year when the developer certificate runs out or they'll crash on startup - I haven't checked that yet but it used to be the case with paid accounts.

Froist fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 20, 2015

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Those of you who got in the aTV dev "beta", what extra hardware did you need to buy to load builds onto your aTV hardware? Some kind of USB-C cable?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
The initial round of developer kits (the ones that were rumored to have been meant as giveaways at WWDC2015) came with everything, including a USB-C cable, so there was nothing else to buy.

The second round devkits are apparently just taken from the stock meant for consumers and so they don't come with a USB-C cable (which you'll need to buy).

I got one of the first round devkits, but wound up buying a little 24" 1080p TV that sits on my desk (and it suuuuuucks), and a game controller for testing.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Those of you who got in the aTV dev "beta", what extra hardware did you need to buy to load builds onto your aTV hardware? Some kind of USB-C cable?

You can use TestFlight to deploy your builds to the teeveebox allow 4-6 hours for delivery

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

THC posted:

You can use TestFlight to deploy your builds to the teeveebox allow 4-6 hours for delivery

Is it really that bad now? Back in apr-may I thought it was bad waiting for like 30min

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

They seem to be running the upload processing queue on a handful of Quadras as of late.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks, so this should be sufficient?

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030319&p_id=13009&seq=1&format=2

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Who cares, it's monoprice, buy 3

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Probably, if you can stand waiting for it to be delivered.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
I ordered mine from mono price (along with a couple lightning cables to make shipping worth it) the same day I got the "you got into wave 2!" mail and my cables arrived the day before the devkit did.

But yeah if you already have your devkit it is going to be an eternity.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I never got a devkit so I'm just planning for when the aTV goes live and I can pick one up at the fruit stand.

Thanks!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Anybody else having a hard time updating to Xcode 7.1? I hit "Update" last night and then went to bed, and when I checked on it just now it still hadn't installed. Hitting the Update button in the Mac App Store does the usual thing for Xcode updates where it immediately makes the button available to be clicked again, with no indication as to whether or not the update is being downloaded & installed. (About Xcode reports 7.0.1)

Why does the Mac App Store app have to be such garbage?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Doc Block posted:

Anybody else having a hard time updating to Xcode 7.1? I hit "Update" last night and then went to bed, and when I checked on it just now it still hadn't installed. Hitting the Update button in the Mac App Store does the usual thing for Xcode updates where it immediately makes the button available to be clicked again, with no indication as to whether or not the update is being downloaded & installed. (About Xcode reports 7.0.1)

This is also happening to me!

EDIT: WAS happening to me, all of a sudden it started downloading visibly in launchpad.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Yeah, now it's working. My "complain publicly until it's silently fixed" strategy continues to be a winner.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Doc Block posted:

I've had this issue for the last few versions of Xcode, but that seems to be the only app it affects. Anything else I install from the App Store has a fully working progress bar etc.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Uploading new builds wasn't working yesterday and isn't working today, so I have no idea what's going in iTunes Connect right now (or ever).

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Uhhhhhgh SpriteKit's positioning / frame stuff is so unintuitive it's driving me mad.

Hey there are 20 completely differently positioned objects on screen let's check their positions:

{ 0, 0 }
{ 0, 0 }
{ 0, 0 }
{ 0, 0 }
{ 0, 0 }
{ 0, 0 }
{ 0, 0 }
{ 0, 0 }

Yeah okay it's because I'm drawing a shape node with an offset shape so sue me.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I gave up installing Xcode from the App Store a few releases ago after an endless cycle of "updating..." and "an error occurred". Now I just grab the .dmg from developer downloads.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

lord funk posted:

Uhhhhhgh SpriteKit's positioning / frame stuff is so unintuitive it's driving me mad.

Hey there are 20 completely differently positioned objects on screen let's check their positions:

{ 0, 0 }
{ 0, 0 }
{ 0, 0 }
{ 0, 0 }
{ 0, 0 }
{ 0, 0 }
{ 0, 0 }
{ 0, 0 }

Yeah okay it's because I'm drawing a shape node with an offset shape so sue me.

Do people actually use SpriteKit? I found it lacked too many features to be useful.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is the retail apple tv going to be usable as a dev device?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
It appears to have a USB-C port, so almost certainly.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Doc Block posted:

Do people actually use SpriteKit? I found it lacked too many features to be useful.

I've been using it to develop a side-project game and haven't found it to be bad. What do you think it's missing?

Also, GameplayKit is fantastic.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Dessert Rose posted:

I've been using it to develop a side-project game and haven't found it to be bad. What do you think it's missing?

Also, GameplayKit is fantastic.

IMHO, SpriteKit is missing:
  • BMFont support. I want the text (especially HUD etc.) in my game to match the game's artwork. BMFonts are faster for frequently changing text (no need to create a new texture every time the text changes).
  • In-engine menus and buttons. While UIKit is great for regular apps, I want my game's UI to match the rest of the game without having to include a separate set of artwork just for UIKit, and I want UI transitions besides move left/move right. Plus, having them be done in-engine means they can be animated (along with the aforementioned BMFont text) using the animation features available in the engine.
  • Physics integration that's more like Cocos2D v3 when it comes to collision callbacks etc. Since they seem to have copied Cocos2D's API, they could've at least also copied its physics integration.
  • Visual effects beyond CoreImage filters.
  • A bunch of other little things that I don't remember
I haven't looked at SpriteKit since the iOS 7 betas, but I was pretty disappointed by it. Especially when the WWDC videos for SpriteKit only showed it running on OS X, and even more so when their simple demo game took 40+ seconds to load on my then-latest iPhone 5 and didn't even compile with the GM iOS 7 SDK.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

UIApplication posted:

Is the retail apple tv going to be usable as a dev device?

I feel like 100% certain that it will be, only because no other product in the current lineup has a "dev" revision, that I know of.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Doc Block posted:

Yes, people use SpriteKit.

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

Downloaded 7.1, mostly in an attempt to get my documentation up to date (which preferences -> download in 7.0.1, a total liar, steadfastly resisted), and it's more current now but still lagging a month behind the online version at dev.apple.com, and p->d still claims no more updates are available. Anyone else?

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
anyone use the new code coverage tool?

I'm noticing callback based API seem to confuse it. here is what I'm seeing:
code:
func testHandler() {
    mockBadData()
    doWithCompletionHandlers(success: { () -> Void in
        //asserts if called, code coverage treats this as missing coverage since it's not called
    }, fail: {
        //asserts on data
    })

mockGoodData()
    doWithCompletionHandlers(success: { () -> Void in
        //asserts on data
    }, fail: {
        //asserts if called, code coverage treats this as missing coverage since it's not called
    })
}
I haven't tried to distill this down into a simpler project yet but will probably.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Holy hell, does anyone have CI up and running with UI Tests? Trying to integrate into CircleCI (like TravisCI) and my tests have had different failures almost every single time:

"UI Testing Failure - No matches found for StaticText"
"UI Testing Failure - No matches found for Table"
"UI Testing Failure - Failed to perform AX action for monitoring the event loop of Target Application 0x7faf90c537d0, error: Error -25204 performing AXAction 2042"
"UI Testing Failure - Unable to update application state promptly."

They have passed several times before and run on our machines just fine.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I may just be in a bad mood, but stuff like this makes me want to slit my wrists

code:
po self.view.bounds
error: property 'bounds' not found on object of type 'UIView *'
error: 1 errors parsing expression
edit: I'm so loving done with UIKit everything. My life is slipping away trying to figure out why UINavigationTransitionView just decides its own frame and resizes all its subviews. Nope! Next time I'll loving draw pixels by hand to avoid this opaque changing crap from Apple.

lord funk fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 24, 2015

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lord funk posted:

I may just be in a bad mood, but stuff like this makes me want to slit my wrists

code:
po self.view.bounds
error: property 'bounds' not found on object of type 'UIView *'
error: 1 errors parsing expression

Why/how does this happen because it brings my piss to a boil too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

code:

(lldb) e @import UIKit

Still a pain in the butt though, I know.