Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Chrysophylax posted:

I'm gonna contradict myself here and say that FA-on turn boosting is much easier and accomplishes the same.

I made a video illustrating both the 180º turn drift issue and how boost-turning solves it:

Color codes, I demand them.

A link to that website that lets you play with them will suffice as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
The new CG is up:

And they changed the display so you can actually see what each tier needs, I expect this one will actually get a lot of people contributing to it because of that, and because it's cool and has a real effect on the galaxy map.

I'm just bummed it's based on tons instead of value, that 340 I contributed was sothis crystal gold.

e: also there's a station that you can buy copper in that's 2~ly away :v:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

LCL-Dead posted:

Color codes, I demand them.

A link to that website that lets you play with them will suffice as well.

<MatrixRed> 0.21, 0.28, 0.93 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 0, 1, 0 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 1, 1, 1 </MatrixBlue>

Hud website

It has a big problem tho: 'mission target' text is jet black and nigh invisible. It's its only drawback tho.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Appreciate it.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

AndroidHub posted:

The new CG is up:

And they changed the display so you can actually see what each tier needs, I expect this one will actually get a lot of people contributing to it because of that, and because it's cool and has a real effect on the galaxy map.

I'm just bummed it's based on tons instead of value, that 340 I contributed was sothis crystal gold.

e: also there's a station that you can buy copper in that's 2~ly away :v:

So for us who have never done this before, is there a breakdown of what the hell?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Adult Sword Owner posted:

That's crazy, but there's an argument to be made that not all shields should charge at the same rate, because it will give the big shields an incredible amount of damage prevention per minute overall.

I know that module targetting is a big part of combat but I sort of wish losing shields wasn't an invitation to get totally loving wrecked regardless of armor.
Well, if shields recharge faster, they will also drain the SYS capacitor faster than it can recharge, making power management even more important. However that has the potential of making Chaff and Heatsinks effectively unusable in combat, since they cannot operate when the SYS capacitor is drained.
Another way could be to have it so that damages to the shield will stop regeneration for a few seconds, making sustained damage more important.
There are a few possible overhauls for how the shields work that could improve the gameplay, although there is still the issue that currently once the shields drop, you are likely to be dead pretty fast.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
As a nice touch, the devs mentioned SRVs will have shields that will protect from weapon fire, but not collision damage. This is because if the shields extended around the wheels, the entire SRV would seem to float off the ground, wheels spinning uselessly :v:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

So for us who have never done this before, is there a breakdown of what the hell?

Go to the system and sign up to the event on the bulletin board. Then just haul stuff over they want and sell it on the commodity market.

Your reward will depend on which percentile of contribution you end up in (eg. top 40%, top 5% etc) and on how succesful the event is when it ends.

Lima fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 22, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What's better for combat/Res bounty hunting? Python or a Clipper?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

What's better for combat/Res bounty hunting? Python or a Clipper?

RES, Python. Better shields, can boat more SCBs

General combat? Clipper.

Also I think our canonical name for clippers should be named after my old one, the Slam Whale.

My current Clipper is the Come on and Slam, with Kurr piloting the sister ship, Welcome to the Jam.

I hope Möbius cries from these ship names existing.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Alas, I am not entirely witty and have been calling mine the Battle toad.

What are some witty ram related names for a Clipper?

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
Wait you can name your ship?

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Welp, they didn't lock the demand for metal at anything reasonable, so two hours in the CG is already a thing you do for essentially no profit aside from the goal reward. Who knows, maybe it will get high enough that that alone is worth the effort.

I doubt it though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Paramemetic posted:

General combat? Clipper.

Also I think our canonical name for clippers should be named after my old one, the Slam Whale.

My current Clipper is the Come on and Slam, with Kurr piloting the sister ship, Welcome to the Jam.

I hope Möbius cries from these ship names existing.

Thanks. Made it to Arjung and see the Clipper on sale. Presently in a decent Python worth about $73,000,000 and have $40,000,000 in the bank.

Seriously considering selling the Python and equipping a Clipper just to try. I am so torn. :ohdear:

e: Is it just me or did they fix the super-long witchspace in the patch?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 22, 2015

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Doctor Soup posted:

Wait you can name your ship?

Only on Inara so far. It should come to the game at some point.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

devup is up.

quote:

Hi everyone,

Fantasticon is taking place this weekend and I will be there on the Saturday, so if you’re there feel free to say ‘Hello’!

The exploration issues from the 1.4 release should have now be fixed, however if you still have missing data then raise a support ticket (https://support.frontier.co.uk/kb/) which as much information as you can provide and we’ll look into it further. As I type this we’re reviewing some of the tickets already raised to determine what’s going on.

We’ve talked about some of the key features coming in the forthcoming Horizons Planetary Landings release and this week I’d like to take a little step back to look at the flow of some of those changes. The most obvious addition is the ability to fly down and drive on the surfaces of airless worlds. This obviously requires some changes to how space flight is handled.

In the game currently supercruise ends with a hard wall when you get too close to a planet. If you have Horizons then your ships will automatically be assigned a module that enables the ship to operate at orbital heights down to the surface in what we’re calling Orbital Cruise. With this module you will transition into orbital flight when you reach the appropriate altitude.

The ship handles a little differently in orbital flight. They key difference is that if you fly within orbital parameters (essentially perpendicular to the surface) you will travel faster and provides a mechanism for moving quickly around the planet. This is also highlighted in the UI by showing the sweet spot on your pitch control. Below orbital cruise you enter into surface flight and the controls change again to reflect the flight model operating within gravity and your thrusters compensating for you flight close to the surface.

As well as handling differences (and high gravity worlds feel different to fly on compared to low gravity worlds) the flight UI has been updated to provide the pertinent information you need when flying near the surface like altitude, pitch and so forth. We’ll show more on this in the coming weeks, but for this week I just wanted to establish the different zones that you can be in and how that affects you while playing.

This is especially pertinent in multiplayer and wings, as you can now be operating across very different environments, but you will have a need to support each other between these environments. It’s also key that transitioning between these is a seamless experience.

One of our favourite examples of mixing these is ‘combined arms’ operations. When operating near a planet the ships have different advantages and disadvantages to the SRVs and combining them together can make operations more effective. We’ll be talking about settlements next week, so we’ll see a little more detail on that then, but in essence different types of base defences can be more effective against ships or against SRVs, so combining the forces in an attack can make it much more likely to succeed.

Naturally you can use the same tactics in single player by landing and deploying the SRV as needed. If you drive too far away then you can call your ship to your location, although you do need to make sure that there’s a suitable landing location (so not too rocky for example) and no anti-ship defences nearby!

This week we have released client updates for Xbox One and PC/Mac. There does still appear to be an issue with some mining transactions which we are investigating.

With the rapid churn of new features and changes since release we haven’t been able to keep localised languages as up to date as we’d like. For 1.5 and the Horizons planetary landing release we’re aiming to get completely caught up with missing translations and start working with the feedback that we’ve received to improve the translations in game.

It’s great fun playing these new additions and we look forward to sharing them with you soon :-)

Thanks

Michael

The part about combined ops and the way they are handling orbital mode seems pretty interesting.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 22, 2015

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Paramemetic posted:

5) Ramming owns, ram everything. The Clipper is a large kinetic weapon with some lasers attached. If you're real pro, remember you have giaaaant wings, so if you miss the ram the first time, just roll violently as you are passing under and try to slap them with your fin.
Oldie but a goodie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xj1ZgxpALg
(anyone have that video from the streamers point of view?)

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Paramemetic posted:

General combat? Clipper.

Clipping in RES seemed fine tbh, I don't think I felt like my Vulture had much of an advantage. What am I missing?

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 22, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
As nice as it is to hear all this stuff about Horizons, I really wish Frontier would consider telling us stuff about new ships earlier. Waiting to almost until the beta drops to get something concrete is getting old.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Libluini posted:

As nice as it is to hear all this stuff about Horizons, I really wish Frontier would consider telling us stuff about new ships earlier. Waiting to almost until the beta drops to get something concrete is getting old.

Well, we know what ships are coming, what type they are etc etc. I agree that a couple of sneak peeks would be dandy at this point, on the other hand though the ships are a free update (1.5) so it makes sense for FDEV to spend more time on talking about Horizons..

The fed corvette and imp cutter will be end game anaconda sized ships (it would be nice if we knew the ranks for them in advance), the imp fighter will be the condors' counterpart in CQC, and the Viper mkIV / Cobra mkIV will be larger (better?) versions of their mkIII counterparts.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 22, 2015

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Clipping in RES seemed fine tbh, I don't think I felt like my Vulture had much of an advantage. What am I missing?

Clipping in a RES is better than vulturing but that's not the comparison he asked for.

Actually it's probably roughly the same as Vulturing. The large size means it gets hit more often with roughly equal shields, but the ability to boat SCBs offsets that.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

^^^^ Oh god I read Vulture not Python, so sorry.

What's their 5 year plan for ships? Is this going to be some Eve poo poo where there's a bunch of different classes that are effective against certain classes and not really at all against others? Giant battleships that can't hit missile boast but they hold a dozen NPC and player controlled fighters that are dispatched to take out smaller targets/intercept incoming fire? Anything like that or is it going to be the same stratified content it is now where once you cross certain price thresholds you dominate below you but have to punch upwards until you can get better mounts?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

quote is not edit

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

What's their 5 year plan for ships? Is this going to be some Eve poo poo where there's a bunch of different classes that are effective against certain classes and not really at all against others? Giant battleships that can't hit missile boast but they hold a dozen NPC and player controlled fighters that are dispatched to take out smaller targets/intercept incoming fire? Anything like that or is it going to be the same stratified content it is now where once you cross certain price thresholds you dominate below you but have to punch upwards until you can get better mounts?

It's only stratified up to a point, right now.

Past the Vulture Gulf every ship is capable of performing more or less the same roles, except for the FDL. Some might be better at others, like the python which p much excels at all roles, but for the most part you don't need to punch up any more.

This is part of the reason why I hate the grind the game puts you through. Once you get a Vulture, you're already at the endgame, pretty much, but they put all of the grind past that. Then you get there and realize you weren't really missing anything.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dante80 posted:

Well, we know what ships are coming, what type they are etc etc. I agree that a couple of sneak peeks would be dandy at this point, on the other hand though the ships are a free update (1.5) so it makes sense for FDEV to spend more time on talking about Horizons..

The fed corvette and imp cutter will be end game anaconda sized ships (it would be nice if we knew the ranks for them in advance), the imp fighter will be the condors' counterpart in CQC, and the Viper mkIV / Cobra mkIV will be larger (better?) versions of their mkIII counterparts.

On the other hand, we have no idea what the deal with the Asp Scout is and the new Lakon-ship is another mystery (another cargo-ship, another explorer, a military ship?).

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

^^^^ Oh god I read Vulture not Python, so sorry.

The original KS concept was the following.
http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=c0b11fe947

quote:

On the other hand, we have no idea what the deal with the Asp Scout is and the new Lakon-ship is another mystery (another cargo-ship, another explorer, a military ship?).

True, true.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Ranks for the Cutter/Corvette would be great so I can start working on that now.

Also concept art for the Cutter :getin:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Ranks for the Cutter/Corvette would be great so I can start working on that now.

Also concept art for the Cutter :getin:

This one is very old, should be probably changed by now..

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I thought that was adopted into the clipper. I would be more than okay with a Clipper except bigger.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Its rear end looks like a face in awe of something

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

In an unrelated note, the first Planet Coaster newsletter is out.

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=01c7336363&e=8c820abba6

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is it still best to sell off your old components for base stuff before you trade in your ship?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

Is it still best to sell off your old components for base stuff before you trade in your ship?

Yes, you lose 10% of the value of every component you sell when you sell the ship directly. If you sell and downgrade all components, you get 100% of their cost, and then only lose the 10% on the chassis and mandatory internals.

So basically you'd be dumb not to with big components (throwing away 4 million selling a 7A shield gen) but if you just toss out an A rated FSD on a Hauler or something it's not that big a deal.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Paramemetic posted:

Yes, you lose 10% of the value of every component you sell when you sell the ship directly. If you sell and downgrade all components, you get 100% of their cost, and then only lose the 10% on the chassis and mandatory internals.

So basically you'd be dumb not to with big components (throwing away 4 million selling a 7A shield gen) but if you just toss out an A rated FSD on a Hauler or something it's not that big a deal.

I thought they nerfed module selling to only give 90% as well a while back. Did they change their mind?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Slashrat posted:

I thought they nerfed module selling to only give 90% as well a while back. Did they change their mind?

Yes, they did.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Slashrat posted:

That change was always intended to be the default state - getting 100% back was a bug.

IIRC they fixed it and literally everyone complained that that would just kill people trying poo poo out to see if it fit their style, or if it works with their ship. FDev apparently wanted you to just keep multiple copies of ships instead of letting you refit without cost :v:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I hope the cutter ends up different than that concept art. Right now every flyable imperial ship follows the same general shape and design. Give us something crazy looking like the majestic class interdictor, except new and different.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Tonight I'm flying a multicannon cobra and its so much more fun than the vulture and python and pretty much everything.

Also Reboot/Repair is the best.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Paramemetic posted:

Topical:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-dMSstLDqM

A modern interpretation of a timeless classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
So since I could skip the reputation I went and grabbed an Imp Courier. Can it sustain Beams? I have 7M left, if anyone feels like suggesting a PvE build.

• Locked thread