Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I also wouldn't be going to heavily populated areas, if that matters. If I did a trip I was thinking of Xinjiang, Qinghai, Yunnan. Maybe Gansu. Some combination of places in those.

Cities empty out during the holiday. A lot of cities will be like ghost towns. People are in the village or at home drinking and watching tv. Sorry but it's not very good. Most people deal by leaving the country either for Southeast Asian vacation destinations, or your country of origin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Grand Fromage posted:

Is travel hell during all of spring festival? I'd imagine the first two and last two days of the holiday proper are insane but if your job's vacation were longer and you could schedule things so you're not traveling during those two periods, what's it like?

If you travel in the middle of spring festival, it's not so bad. Maybe a little more crowded than usual, but tolerable.

Spring festival is a great time to wander the streets drunkinking.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I probably have the entire month off though, not just the actual Spring Festival holiday. I know it's not an ideal time to travel but I'd like to see more of China than my apartment and the Shanghai airport and I don't have a lot of choice when I have time off.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Neither do 1 billion other people here, which is kinda why it's bad.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Grand Fromage posted:

I probably have the entire month off though, not just the actual Spring Festival holiday. I know it's not an ideal time to travel but I'd like to see more of China than my apartment and the Shanghai airport and I don't have a lot of choice when I have time off.

You'll be fine traveling around during that month. But just know that poo poo really shuts down during those first 3-4 days of spring festival. I recall having to walk pretty far just to get to the Lanzhou Lamian restaurant because it was the only restaurant open on my street all week long.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I wonder if it's less applicable in Xinjiang because Uighurs don't give a poo poo.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I took a train from Xi'an to Chengdu about 5 or 6 days before the official holiday and it was bad bad bad. Imagine being in literally this for 19 hours straight:

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Grand Fromage posted:

I wonder if it's less applicable in Xinjiang because Uighurs don't give a poo poo.

Ya but a lot of poo poo our that way is still run by chinese who go home around that time. If you can make it to Kashgar before the holiday and plan on staying there, you'd probably be set.

Also Kashgar and the surrounding area is cool.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

fart simpson posted:

I took a train from Xi'an to Chengdu about 5 or 6 days before the official holiday and it was bad bad bad. Imagine being in literally this for 19 hours straight:

Pretty sure that's a subway, dude.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Tom Smykowski posted:

Ya but a lot of poo poo our that way is still run by chinese who go home around that time. If you can make it to Kashgar before the holiday and plan on staying there, you'd probably be set.

Also Kashgar and the surrounding area is cool.

I do want to get out there and the idea of going in summer doesn't appeal to me. Now I'm thinking about that and/or Kyrgyzstan or Uzbekistan.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

during the spring festurval, no difference

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

VideoTapir posted:

Yeah, it's a nicer, more spacious environment than the trains during the week before Spring Festival.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Grand Fromage posted:

Just come to Cambodia with us. I love it here but this ain't vacationland.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

I do want to get out there and the idea of going in summer doesn't appeal to me. Now I'm thinking about that and/or Kyrgyzstan or Uzbekistan.

I went to Xinjiang in the summer so I'm not sure what its like around Spring Festival, but I'd imagine the more south and west you go, the easier itd be to get around just because its a lot less Chinese in those areas.

If you're going to take the train you'll still be crushed because youd go through Lanzhou. The train was pretty packed when I went from Chengdu to Lanzhou in summer.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
So I have a Chinese 10-year "L" tourist visa. However I now have a situation where I need to go over and do a quick presentation for a business client (i.e, one week trip). Do I need to apply for an "M" visa? I am not working or seeking employment in China and I probably will be doing some interstitial tourism before and after my meetings.

I have a feeling the answer is "technically yes, but nobody is going to give a poo poo otherwise", but I don't know if there is a regulation on this.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Cheesemaster200 posted:

So I have a Chinese 10-year "L" tourist visa. However I now have a situation where I need to go over and do a quick presentation for a business client (i.e, one week trip). Do I need to apply for an "M" visa? I am not working or seeking employment in China and I probably will be doing some interstitial tourism before and after my meetings.

I have a feeling the answer is "technically yes, but nobody is going to give a poo poo otherwise", but I don't know if there is a regulation on this.

technically yes, but nobody is going to give a poo poo

Just don't go around announcing that you're there on business while on a tourist visa.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

My lady friend wants me to come meet the future in-laws in Shandong after I finish up school this December. Problem is I start work pretty early come January. What would be a reasonable amount of time for a "short" visit? I'm going to try and wait until after I start work, but I accrue vacation days pretty slowly and basically only get 2 weeks after a full year of working.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Warbird posted:

My lady friend wants me to come meet the future in-laws in Shandong after I finish up school this December. Problem is I start work pretty early come January. What would be a reasonable amount of time for a "short" visit? I'm going to try and wait until after I start work, but I accrue vacation days pretty slowly and basically only get 2 weeks after a full year of working.

Go for a couple of weeks between school and work. No need to go anywhere outside of Shandong, just do a grand tour of the province ‒ Jinan, Qingdao, Qufu, Tai Shan. Two weeks per year is pretty terrible though so I would seriously consider quitting your job.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Wow it's been a long time since we brought up QYJ. I think people stopped describing their jobs such that they could be told to quit them.

A week in Shandong would be fine. Two weeks would be more fun.

Also I only get twelve vacation days a year despite working a union job so I don't think it's that terrible for America at entry level.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

kenner116 posted:

Go for a couple of weeks between school and work. No need to go anywhere outside of Shandong, just do a grand tour of the province ‒ Jinan, Qingdao, Qufu, Tai Shan. Two weeks per year is pretty terrible though so I would seriously consider quitting your job.

I may try and do that. I'm just concerned that it will be cutting things extremely close with apartment hunting and relocating for this job. As for the vacation thing, it's an entry level full time position so that amount of vacation isn't too surprising.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Bloodnose posted:

Also I only get twelve vacation days a year

Sounds like somebody should quit his job

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Spoke with the bossman and I can spend up -5 days vacation time. So with floating vacation days I can get two weeks off within a pretty short time. I think I'll wait until then; going overseas this December would likely be a poor choice.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Grand Fromage posted:

Sounds like somebody should quit his job

I don't know, I heard he gets tax rebates and free coffee. That's pretty good.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

fart simpson posted:

I don't know, I heard he gets tax rebates and free coffee. That's pretty good.

He also gets free international shipping

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

And a swanky passport. I'd take his job.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I am unable to log into mobile QQ, due to the fact that it is asking to send a confirmation code to the phone associated with the account, which I no longer have. Every option presented for fixing this also asks for the same thing.

I can still log into QQ on the PC. (But not QQ international, where QQ was insisting that I use my phone to log in before I eventually got logged out of that.) Does anyone know a way to fix this...either change the confirmation code to send to an email or a US phone, or something else?

edit: Does he work at an embassy/consulate? Couldn't pay me enough.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
Sorry to ask the same question again, but it may help other people too so here it goes:

Is there any point to paying an extra few hundred bucks to use a visa agency here in the States if I'm trying to get the six months per-entry (or any other better than the worst possible visa) "family visit" visa? Do these companies have connections with the embassies here the way they do in China?

I tried Googling the question in a bunch of ways but it was always just giving me visa agency websites, so if anyone has any experience or inside information that would be great because I'd rather spend the extra money if it means my chances of getting a good visa are higher. Would mentioning anything specific about my wife's family be useful at all? For example her grandma is recovering from breast cancer and her dad is in the early stages of Alzheimer's.

I got my first Chinese visa in Singapore and then the rest in China, so I have no idea how anything works here.

VideoTapir posted:

I am unable to log into mobile QQ, due to the fact that it is asking to send a confirmation code to the phone associated with the account, which I no longer have. Every option presented for fixing this also asks for the same thing.

I can still log into QQ on the PC. (But not QQ international, where QQ was insisting that I use my phone to log in before I eventually got logged out of that.) Does anyone know a way to fix this...either change the confirmation code to send to an email or a US phone, or something else?

Did you try the other versions of mobile QQ to see if they asked for a phone number? There's at least two of them There's also supposedly some other programs that you can use to log onto your QQ number but I'm not sure what the names are.

The most difficult option from my experience with them is getting in touch with QQ's customer service, but you could do that. Difficult meaning it was really hard to get to an actual human being and not a bunch of prompts, at least for what I needed help with.

Cuatal fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 24, 2015

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Cuatal posted:

Did you try the other versions of mobile QQ to see if they asked for a phone number? There's at least two of them There's also supposedly some other programs that you can use to log onto your QQ number but I'm not sure what the names are.

The most difficult option from my experience with them is getting in touch with QQ's customer service, but you could do that. Difficult meaning it was really hard to get to an actual human being and not a bunch of prompts, at least for what I needed help with.

Both chinese and QQ international have the same problem. We're gonna try and see if my wife's sister in China can sort this out, since she at least has a Chinese phone number; and she has both of our old phones, on the off chance the SIMs still work.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

How long have you been out of China? If it's been a while they likely repurposed the phone number. Speaking of which, I have a bunch of old Chinese phone numbers saved that caberham used because he always loses his SIM cards and buys new ones, and QQ tells me that caberham has several QQ numbers with profile pictures of middle aged women.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

You never know, mate

Delegate Zero
Mar 24, 2005
Always bring an umbrella, you can't beat a good umbrella.
Hi, I'm currently in China and have purchased a local sim card. It's a Snail Mobile sim card. It came with 30 yuan credit and to be fair I've been using the Internet a lot and it hasn't ran out of credit yet. Coverage seems OK so far.

2 questions:
1. How do I go about adding credit to this thing?
2. Am I better off ditching this for a China Unicom sim?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Delegate Zero posted:

Hi, I'm currently in China and have purchased a local sim card. It's a Snail Mobile sim card. It came with 30 yuan credit and to be fair I've been using the Internet a lot and it hasn't ran out of credit yet. Coverage seems OK so far.

2 questions:
1. How do I go about adding credit to this thing?
2. Am I better off ditching this for a China Unicom sim?

I had no idea Snail got into mobile. Weird.

I baidu'd it and apparently you can either buy an 一卡通 ( a card with credit on it) at a store somewhere, or add money via Weixin Wallet by sending it to some account they have set up. Lots of baidu questions about this, so it's not really clear to a lot of people I guess.

What kind of speeds do you get? It's certainly cheaper than Unicom but the limits seem way lower and I can't find what speed they have. I pay like 70~ a month for 600MB of 4G for reference. Also phone calls and texts there but who uses a phone for those.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
I'm a big dumb baby and forgot to buy a vpn subscription before I left, is there a way to purchase one when I'm here?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Cute n Popular posted:

I'm a big dumb baby and forgot to buy a vpn subscription before I left, is there a way to purchase one when I'm here?

Pandapow is one a lot of people use, Pandapow.co is not blocked right now in China.

Astril totally is blocked, as are a lot of the working free ones.

Dunno if anyone else has any suggestions.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Magna Kaser posted:

Pandapow is one a lot of people use, Pandapow.co is not blocked right now in China.

Astril totally is blocked, as are a lot of the working free ones.

Dunno if anyone else has any suggestions.

I have a suggestion: you're a big dumb baby.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
getastrill.com

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

I had no idea Snail got into mobile. Weird.

What's snail mobile? Got a link? I'm seriously curious, is this like an MVNO or something?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

SB35 posted:

What's snail mobile? Got a link? I'm seriously curious, is this like an MVNO or something?

Snail is a big android games publisher/set top box maker. They have a lot of Android apps and a few boxes. They also do some MMO publishing in China.

They started selling SIM cards sometime recently, I guess. That post was the first I heard about it. Apparently you can buy them for different countries to. They're a yearly fee for a set plan with no more bills. It seems OKish if you don't need a lot of data and 4G, but I have no idea what their service structure is like.

http://mobile.snail.com/en/

Here's the link to their site.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Bloodnose posted:

getastrill.com

credit goes to me for telling Nose that address months ago

Astrill has been pretty reliable even in times of national fervor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Centripetal Horse posted:

I want to go to China; it looks absolutely bonkers. I'm applying to jobs in Detroit and Cleveland, so why not China? Someone give me the contact information for a Chinese company that's desperate to hire enormous white men to, I don't know, write code, or administer Linux systems, or something.

Which is worse, being homeless in Vegas or teaching preschool in Harbin?