Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
A foetus becomes a person when they give a poo poo enough about the life of others not to exploit it for selfish gains and should be able to be aborted postpartum if they fail to meet this simple standard. :redhammer:

e: hammersnype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Birb Katter posted:

A foetus becomes a person when they give a poo poo enough about the life of others not to exploit it for selfish gains and should be able to be aborted postpartum if they fail to meet this simple standard. :redhammer:

loving gold! This is only the 20th variation on this joke this thread has seen so far.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

starkebn posted:

Citation please

It's not quite as simple as they're making out but it isn't baseless either. The in utero environment keeps the fetus in a state of unconsciousness. Whether that compromises their personhood or not is still up for debate

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/when-does-consciousness-arise/

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Amethyst posted:

loving gold! This is only the 20th variation on this joke this thread has seen so far.

But this one had the mafia hammer!

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Amethyst posted:

Nothing but serious debate in this thread, please. Levity will not be tolerated.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Starshark posted:

Nothing but serious debate in this thread, please. Levity will not be tolerated.

"Everybody Loves Raymond is a bad show."

"Wow. Who invited this wet blanket?"

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

katlington posted:

It's wrong. There's no proof that a fetus can feel pain at all.

Like, I don't even care but you're straight up wrong. You also sound hella whiny, "why wont those people admit they're so extreme!!!" Get over it.

E: don't care to discuss when abortion is and is no ok with you, I mean

That's fine, you haven't contributed anything worthwhile to auspol in over a year so I wasn't expecting you to start now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:eyepop:

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Seems a little low to me, I'm sure we've had more than one stalking, harassment, etc a year at our uni.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Amethyst posted:

It's not quite as simple as they're making out but it isn't baseless either. The in utero environment keeps the fetus in a state of unconsciousness. Whether that compromises their personhood or not is still up for debate

So just like everything else in this debate, it's complicated

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Starshark posted:

Seems a little low to me, I'm sure we've had more than one stalking, harassment, etc a year at our uni.

Yeah are those numbers normalised to the number of students or anything? They seem a little low to me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They just arent reported:

quote:

The new figures come amid warnings of a "lockdown mentality" at elite Australian universities, with a leading academic recently condemning a culture that prioritises institutional reputation above dealing with sexual violence.

The National Union of Students has echoed concerns about universities' handling of sexual abuse, saying official crime rates were the "tip of the iceberg".

"It's happening at every campus in Australia ... especially at night leaving a class or the library, maybe in a car park," president Rose Steele said. "The general feeling with female students is they don't feel safe."

The union's most recent survey of female students who reported being sexually assaulted on campus revealed only 3 per cent told the university and even fewer reported the crime to police.

According to Victorian crime statistics, on-campus sexual offences peaked in the year to June 2014, with 17 attacks.

On average just seven offences a year were reported across all campuses, which collectively serve 350,000 students in Victoria and employ thousands more staff.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/onethird-of-reported-oncampus-sex-attacks-in-victoria-occurred-at-one-university-20151022-gkfiti.html

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Oh yeah duh. With that mystery solved, what the gently caress is going on at Vic Uni?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

BBJoey posted:

Oh yeah duh. With that mystery solved, what the gently caress is going on at Vic Uni?
They're probably the only ones making an attempt to report honestly and accurately

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yes, I remember when Nicky Winmar stood up against the years of racist abuse he had received from crowds and everyone got behind him and respected him.

I fondly recall the lack of controversy when Cathy Freeman decided to carry the aboriginal flag on her victory lap at the 2000 olympics.

This is an excellent post and did not receive enough love.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Amethyst posted:

note; the disagreement was on feeling pain, not on personhood.

starkebn posted:

Citation please

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prenatal_perception

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Di Natale launched a presser today advising that he is open to the idea of the Greens forming a coalition government with the ALP - puts his own hand up for Health portfolio.

Bland Shithead posted:

A spokesman for opposition leader Bill Shorten said Senator Di Natale was a nice guy and "we're flattered he's confident Labor will win the next election".
"We can assure Senator Di Natale that a Labor government will treat his party with more respect and the courtesy than the Liberals do. If he wants to serve in a Labor government, he needs to join the Labor Party," he said.

:downsbravo:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Firstly, wow on the idea of greens + labor. Secondly loving lol on the idea of labor winning the next election on their own

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm wondering if Blinky's spokesman confused "flattered" with "flabbergasted".

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If they think they wouldn't end up like the Nationals they're deluding themselves.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

:munch:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Maybe but how many of them were probably nazis eh

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
New poll time

#Morgan Poll Turnbull: Approve 66 (+32 compared to Abbott) Disapprove 16 (-43) #auspol

#Morgan Poll Turnbull (L/NP Voters): Approve 79 (+8 compared to Abbott) Disapprove 7 (-13) #auspol

#Morgan Poll Shorten: Approve 25 (+1) Disapprove 62 (+2) #auspol

#Morgan Poll Shorten (ALP Voters): Approve 40 (+4) Disapprove 44 (-4) #auspol

#Morgan Poll Preferred PM (ALP Voters): Turnbull 58 (+8) Shorten 31 (-13) #auspol

#Morgan Poll Preferred ALP Leader (ALP voters): Shorten 10 (-7) Plibersek 34 (+2) Albanese 21 (+5) #auspol

#Morgan Poll Preferred L/NP Leader: Turnbull 64 (+20) Bishop 12 (-3) Abbott 8 (-5) Morrison 4 (-1) #auspol

I hope Labor are seriously considering a coalition with Greens because there's no other way they'd get into office. Then again it's Labor and they're a never ending source of failure and disappointment so we're doomed for another 8 years of Turdbull.

#ReachTEL Poll Federal 2 Party Preferred: L/NP 53 (+3) ALP 47 (-3) #auspol

Ler fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 23, 2015

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Ler posted:

#Morgan Poll Shorten (ALP Voters): Approve 40 (+4) Disapprove 44 (-4) #auspol

#Morgan Poll Preferred PM (ALP Voters): Turnbull 58 (+8) Shorten 31 (-13) #auspol

Holy poo poo

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Turnbull for Labor leader

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
If someone said negro in 2015 i would think they are old and probably past it but not necessarily racist since it was acceptable to use like 30 years ago.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
The question isn't "when is it a person?" It's "how/why does anybody have the right to tell someone what they can or can't do with their own body?"

Answer that, then worry about finding the arbitrary line where goo turns into people.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm still goo tbh

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

QUACKTASTIC posted:

I'm still goo tbh

ooze your daddy

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

You don't legally own your own body and no amount of empowering tumblrs can change that

Hth

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Smegmatron posted:

The question isn't "when is it a person?" It's "how/why does anybody have the right to tell someone what they can or can't do with their own body?"

Answer that, then worry about finding the arbitrary line where goo turns into people.

What if the answer is "when they've got another body inside them?"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Until it can survive on its own, treat it with anti-parasitics.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

Until it can survive on its own, treat it with anti-parasitics.

I cant survive without the intervention of heaps of other humans.... can I be aborted?

I mean babies are pretty drat helpless, without someone actively taking care of them they're gonna die. So can you abort a 1 year old?

It always ends up being find a place to draw a line because the differentiation between goo and human is fuzzy because all humans are essentially goo.

Birth is an easy place to draw that line.

Can we instead of talking about this talk about how the preferred pm for Labor Voters is Turnbull. Because jesus christ labor and labor voters.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Smegmatron posted:

Doesn't the whole argument revolve around the fact that some people consider the foetus to be separate from the mothers' body?

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

starkebn posted:

What if the answer is "when they've got another body inside them?"

Why do the rights of that body override a woman's right to self-determination?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Does this mean the whole debate disappears when we inevitably literally start growing babies in test tubes

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Smegmatron posted:

How do you feel about the death penalty?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Les Affaires posted:

Does this mean the whole debate disappears when we inevitably literally start growing babies in test tubes
Assuming people stop getting pregnant in the traditional way at the same time, probably?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Smegmatron posted:

Why aren't you allowed to torture a kitten or sell yourself into slavery?

• Locked thread