Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

When classifying the ungodly number of these incidents, somebody decided that four or more victims was a "mass shooting". Less than that, this case is just another "school shooting" of which there are also way too many.

The statistics on both are both tremendously bleak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Something Else posted:

Isn't "hates Republicans the most" an equally or perhaps more dangerous form of ideological purity to "rejects big money interests"? How does her supposed hatred of Republicans make her more likely to get things done?

Many Democrats and people further left than Democrats hate that Congressional Democrats are all about compromise and want to extend olive branches while Republicans constantly attempt to slit their throats. Attempting to take the middle of the road and meet the GOP halfway is no longer seen by many voters as being the adult in the room. We're on Investigation #8 of Benghazi and people are eager for Democrats to call it like it is.

Now, I've read about him a little, but can someone explain to me why everyone hates Sidney Blumenthal?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

duz posted:

This is what the Clintons are like. She and Bill are a perfect match for each other.
One of the apocryphal notes post-Monicagate that I always loved was the fact that the Clinton deposition was carefully negotiated by Bill's end -- dead certain time limit, no chance for followups, etc.

They basically had one shot at nailing him. So he does things like taking plenty of pauses to drink water or the infamous "depends on what your definition of is is" to just run the clock out on them.

If it's true, its masterful.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

skaboomizzy posted:

When classifying the ungodly number of these incidents, somebody decided that four or more victims was a "mass shooting". Less than that, this case is just another "school shooting" of which there are also way too many.

But I called it a school shooting? And CNN didn't call it a mass shooting either.

PostNouveau posted:

School shooting on the campus of Tennessee State in Nashville. 3 shot.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/23/us/tennessee-state-university-campus-shooting/index.html

Are you just reflexively correcting people? Got your legal dictionary open at all times, "Well you see technically..."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

skaboomizzy posted:

It's a "murder" of shootings, er. Um. Crows.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

PostNouveau posted:

But I called it a school shooting? And CNN didn't call it a mass shooting either.

Are you just reflexively correcting people? Got your legal dictionary open at all times, "Well you see technically..."

At least this type of discussion has more of a chance of being resolved than a discussion about gun control.
So hey, we are already ahead of the curve on this one.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

For example, you don't have a 13% approval rating from the Humane Society, you don't want to abolish Medicare, and you don't want to privatize social security.

Fyi HSUS (I'm guessing what you mean by Humane Society) is an animal rights lobbying organization that gives less than 1% of its proceeds to animal shelters. Animal rights =/= animal welfare.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

One of the apocryphal notes post-Monicagate that I always loved was the fact that the Clinton deposition was carefully negotiated by Bill's end -- dead certain time limit, no chance for followups, etc.

They basically had one shot at nailing him. So he does things like taking plenty of pauses to drink water or the infamous "depends on what your definition of is is" to just run the clock out on them.

If it's true, its masterful.

I mean, that kind of thing is pretty typical for depositions. On the other hand, usually the "if we aren't done at 7 hours exactly, I am taking my client and walking out of the room" is just a threat, not something you actually carry out.

(Clinton's lawyers were pretty adept at using procedural techniques to their advantage - Nan Hunter wrote a decent book about it that we used in my civpro course called the Power of Procedure.)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Many Democrats and people further left than Democrats hate that Congressional Democrats are all about compromise and want to extend olive branches while Republicans constantly attempt to slit their throats. Attempting to take the middle of the road and meet the GOP halfway is no longer seen by many voters as being the adult in the room. We're on Investigation #8 of Benghazi and people are eager for Democrats to call it like it is.

Now, I've read about him a little, but can someone explain to me why everyone hates Sidney Blumenthal?

Did you watch this one? They DID call the GOP out on their obvious pandering bullshit. There were actually some amazing speeches about it, tons of enthusiasm and spirit, about how dumb and stupid the idiot babies badgering HRC were being.

It just turns out that that doesn't actually do anything. j

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Sharkie posted:

The Many Faces of Gowdy:

please forgive me, both for making this, and for the many misspellings.

All these are astonishingly spot-on. You've got a knack for....whatever this is.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 23, 2015

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
This is like when they had the perfect opportunity to nail Bill Clinton... and then they got Ken Starr to do it.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

PostNouveau posted:

School shooting on the campus of Tennessee State in Nashville. 3 shot.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/23/us/tennessee-state-university-campus-shooting/index.html

I work a half mile away from there. Talking with some cops this morning at the gas station they said a dude got pissed off because he was losing while they were gambling and decided to "keep it real."

While it was a shooting on a school campus, it wasn't your traditional "I'm pissed off at the world and I'm gonna take a few people with me" type of school shooting.

Fake edit: gently caress, I just classified school shootings :negative:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Silver Nitrate posted:

Fyi HSUS (I'm guessing what you mean by Humane Society) is an animal rights lobbying organization that gives less than 1% of its proceeds to animal shelters. Animal rights =/= animal welfare.

Hey! Please stop propagating bullshit from the Humanewatch which is a front group for the Center for Consumer Freedom. The CCM is a lobbying group for fast food, meat, alcohol and tobacco industries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_for_Consumer_Freedom

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Maybe the original poster confused HSUS with professional troll organization PETA?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

SedanChair posted:

She has always been pretty drat up front about that hasn't she? I mean she literally called them a "right-wing conspiracy." She doesn't give a poo poo oh wow it's going to be glorious. I just want to roll in it like a hot dog stink.

USPol November: Rolling in it like a hot dog stink

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Antti posted:

Maybe the original poster confused HSUS with professional troll organization PETA?

No the Center for Consumer Freedom is pretty big on poisoning animal rights organizations, one of those specifically the HSUS, in the public consciousness since they do a lot of work to make sure that the industries the CCF represent aren't breaking the law.

Most people don't realize where these talking points come from. It certainly isn't from anyone that gives a poo poo about animal welfare or cares if local shelters get funding.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 23, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Mitt Romney posted:

What's the likelihood of the FBI charging Clinton with something regarding the email server? Last I heard they were just "looking into it".

Edit: It appears they aren't even looking into it and are only helping with redacting emails for sensitivity.

That's just people trying to make the issue linger. If they thought something was going to be turned up by the FBI they would have scheduled this hearing for after that.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

He personally killed Chris Stevens, in person, with his bare hands.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:rip: Metrification in 2016

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

He did it to himself.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Our allies in Liberia and Burma breathe a sigh of relief.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Joementum posted:

Put some powder on that Chafee.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hollismason posted:

He looks like Rutger Hauer in the final stages of cancer before his death

I've.....seen things.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Did Carson say something dumb and it get missed? The two anti-vaxx single issue voters I have on my facebook feed are blowing up attacking him and I have no idea what has set them off

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx

"He'll look up at me, begging for salvation. And I will look down upon him and immediately reply 'no'." - Hillary, 2015

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five posted:

Did Carson say something dumb and it get missed? The two anti-vaxx single issue voters I have on my facebook feed are blowing up attacking him and I have no idea what has set them off

He hasn't said anything about vaccines since the debate, but some psycho ant-vaxx corners started randomly arguing whether he was in favor of forced vaccinations, so that's probably why they're talking about him again. It's just the slow trickle from the nutcase blogosphere

edit: if they're mad at him it would have been because he said something not-dumb about the one correct position he holds

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

walgreenslatino posted:

He hasn't said anything about vaccines since the debate, but some psycho ant-vaxx corners started randomly arguing whether he was in favor of forced vaccinations, so that's probably why they're talking about him again. It's just the slow trickle from the nutcase blogosphere

That makes sense, because "forced vaccination" was a big thing one was talking about. Apparently I should Stand with Rand

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Is there anyway the Democrats could have a committee to investigate the Benghazi committees? It's really the only way that this could get better.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

That was probably his look after seeing Clinton from yesterday and realizing he'll never look that good.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

His campaign 2.54cm'd along, but in the end he wasn't able to go the full 8.2296m. 0.45kg for 0.45kg, Bernie and Hillary are just better campaigners.

Ironically, he'll be best remembered for the time he measured himself in stone.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
RIP granite man.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

I liked the article that called him a little smiling baby bird that you really don't want to kill and eat but well, that's just nature man

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Poor chafee, the only man to be savaged by wolf blitzer

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you're wondering how the media narrative is gonna go with the hearing from yesterday, CNN has a big headline CLINTON UNSCATHED and Fox News has a little bitty story about it over in their sidebar.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

nachos posted:

Poor chafee, the only man to be savaged by wolf blitzer

The Daily Show did a great segment on this, he should have known something was seriously wrong when Wolf Blitzer was asking him why even bother still running for president.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

If you're wondering how the media narrative is gonna go with the hearing from yesterday, CNN has a big headline CLINTON UNSCATHED and Fox News has a little bitty story about it over in their sidebar.

HuffPo went with "Benghazi Bust". Drudge has moved on to covering weather.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Whats the weird countdown thing on Breitbart.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

zoux posted:

KT Macfarland put an article on Fox News about it being a chilling glimpse into Clinton's soul but the only meat in the story is the thoroughly debunked line about the administration altering the talking points. It's sad.

• Locked thread