Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

dox posted:

We've got ~70 clients on it, over 1000 users... haven't had it go down in any significant way in the past two years. Usually just minor things like can't add distribution groups via OWA for a day or what not. Maybe we're just lucky.

When's the last time you used the service?

I left my old job last month, so up until then. The complete and total lack of communication from MS support probably made it seem worse than it actually was, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

evol262 posted:

you can make a baby in one month if you have 10 women, etc.

Is this a common saying? I've never heard it before but I like it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

evol262 posted:

That might be the problem -- almost everyone on my team used to be an admin. He was a build engineer for the Galaxy team, and apparently spent most of his time trying to explain to the developers how Linux worked and why the things they were doing would never work.

Also, nobody understood git. And it's unacceptable in Korean culture to say negative things to someone with more seniority, so totally poo poo code that everyone knew was poo poo got positive code reviews anyway. Plus management apparently thinks you can make a baby in one month if you have 10 women, etc.

His take was that Samsung outside of Korea was great, but the more often you have to interact with the Korean side of the company, the more homicidal you'll get.

All of this.

Not all of the developers are terrible, mind you. When SOMEONE shipped a device with a /dev/something providing full 777 permissions to THE ENTIRE DEVICE MEMORY, a friend of mine got to explain to Samsung's security team what Linux file permissions were and why this was incredibly bad.

Of course, my best example is a public one that I had no involvement in:

Polaris Viewer DOCX VML Shape Tag Remote Code Execution Vulnerability

quote:

Sept 26, 2012 - ZDI e-mails vulnerability disclosure ZDI-CAN-1658 to security@samsung.com. It contains a vulnerability advisory and a proof of concept.
Sept 26, 2012 - security@samsung.com acknowledges receipt of the file. security@samsung.com requests ZDI disclosures to re-send due to issues reading the proof of concept. They are able to read the README.txt but state the poc.docx is corrupt.
Sept 26, 2012 - ZDI verifies that the poc.docx contains vulnerable condition and replies to security@samsung.com stating that the poc.docx is a proof of concept of the vulnerability and is malformed on purpose. It should be used to help you locate the vulnerable code.
Oct 8, 2012 - security@samsung.com requests full exploit from ZDI.
Oct 9, 2012 - ZDI states that the full exploit was not required from participants of Mobile Pwn2Own 2012.

Edit: If it's the Bridgewater office, let me know how the interview works out.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 22, 2015

mewse
May 2, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Is this a common saying? I've never heard it before but I like it.

It might be from the mythical man month. It's a pretty common analogy for how you can't just put more staff on something to get it finished.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That timeline is the best thing ever.

quote:

Sept 5, 2013 - Samsung requests ZDI remove 0-day advisory as they work on fix.
Sept 5, 2013 - ZDI denies request to remove 0-day advisory.
Sept 6, 2013 - Infraware contacts ZDI and denies existence of vulnerability.
Sept 6, 2013 - ZDI requests PGP keys for secure communication of vulnerability information.
Sept 6, 2013 - Infraware provides ZDI with PGP keys.
Sept 9, 2013 - ZDI e-mails vulnerability disclosure ZDI-CAN-1658 to Infraware.
Sept 10, 2013 - Infraware releases patch to address the vulnerability.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Bigass Moth posted:

gently caress Cisco licensing.

That's all.

Cisco pulled an amazing play with their video conferencing endpoints. I have a bunch of C20, C40 and SX-20 systems, most were on version 6 or 7 of the software. Upgrading them wasn't a big deal as most of the fixes are on features we don't use, and generally things worked well enough. We got in some units on the latest firmware 7.3.3 and after deploying them, I saw that I couldn't see out the camera from the webui. This was handy for troubleshooting, and let me help without interrupting a call.
So the latest version removes that feature, and hides it behind a new license key. If I get this key before the end of the year, the upgrade is free. Anything after January will add 100 bucks to the price. Admittedly, 100 dollars on a 9,000 video unit isn't much, but goddammit.

Cisco's reasoning is they don't want to be in trouble depending on wiretap laws, which would explain disabling the feature by default, not removing it. So gently caress Cisco.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Thanks for the input. I really like my job now, honestly, the increased money is nice, but I really don't need it. I only started this path because I thought I was going to be let go, but since they're assured me I'm not losing my job (they got rid of a few people, but that was three weeks ago and there's been no more restructuring).

Still do the Interview dude. If you get an offer you can always leverage that into a raise.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

frogbert posted:

Still do the Interview dude. If you get an offer you can always leverage that into a raise.

I always do interviews, that's good advice.

Leveraging an offer into a counter offer at work is not good advice.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

The complete and total lack of communication from MS support probably made it seem worse than it actually was, though.

Log into the Admin Dashboard and click Support->Overview in the left-hand menu. Then click "View details and history" right below the "Office 365 health" schema. That page will show you an extensive overview of what's going on.

Example

You can click any of the little green/yellow/red icons for a detailed explanation of that specific event, or just click the RSS icon for an RSS feed of the whole thing.

Example

It's hardly fair to claim there's a lack of communication from MS on this.

Crowley fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 23, 2015

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Shir not pissing me off: I'm currently sitting in a pub with a coworker, doing all sysadmin tasks that are needed, enjoying a glass of beer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

Fortigate puked. Disk drive isn't showing up, it boots but it doesn't really get anyway. It'd be cool if the indicator lights did jack poo poo or if Fortigate had ever replied to the ticket we put it on Friday morning when it froze up and we had to reboot it. Asked me if I wanted to do a disk check but it would take 10 minutes and I needed to get us back up online right away. Should have ran that like Friday night.

I have our old Adtran switch/router deal running stuff right now. But our VPN and wireless setups obviously aren't working.

Happy Monday :smug:

The RMA unit took a poo poo today. Looks like the exact same problem, HD or whatever it uses for storage puked.

Any suggestions for NOT A FORTINET firewall?

We only have 10/10 connection, would like traffic monitoring capabilities and VPN, we have 100 users behind it.

pioneermax
May 25, 2003
Remember, you are not a salmon
After 4 jobs in 2 years through a variety of Dick Trauma esq workplaces I found myself in a very nice one however my boss, the sole guy I report too and the guy who hired me just got fired last night.

Current mood - annoyed and worried about career.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I cannot stand sales people that don't understand bits vs bytes, especially when used in their marketing material. I just got this fiber proposal for one of our locations and it's got a "100Mbps" line listed as $450/month (about market average for 12.5MBps), then a "1GB" line for $1200/month (a loving steeeeeal), but they're all utterly confused when I ask why one is listed in bits and one is bytes and what the actual units they're trying to represent are.

There's no way in hell I'm signing anything until we can all figure out what exactly you're selling, people.

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer
NO, new guy. I DON'T want to see your funny youtube video. :argh:

Take a drat hint.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
From Office 2010 to 2016 to 2013 to 2010 to 2016 last night on my personal computer, oooh that was a fun use of a few hours.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tigern posted:

Take a drat hint.

You could... tell him not to do that anymore?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Well I thought it was funny. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ChdxP6pv8k

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Crowley posted:

Not going to play salesman for MS, but take a look at..
- How often do you swap Office licenses? Calculate the TCO over (for example) four years.
- How much do you pay for Exchange licenses, CALs, Backups, antivirus?
- What other services in Office 365 would benefit your organization? for us it was Skype for Business. We were looking at a Cisco solution anyway, so win/win.

Take a look at what's included in the plans, and sum up what you already pay for those services. When I did that it went from a good idea to a complete no-brainer. Plus, MS bought back our unused "SA-time" left on already purchased Office licenses, and paid us a nice sum in incentives for going with 365.

When cost is the only consideration, it is a no brainer.

Cost isn't always the only consideration(or even really a consideration at all sometimes!)

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRsfOGJ5lZg

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Tigern posted:

Take a drat hint.

I'm not opposed to occasional checking out social media at work as long as it's tech-related but I've got a few co-workers who's internet history is chalk full of Facebook, Imgur, Reddit, ect...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's the least evil firewall thingy?

Sonicwall
Watchguard
Sophos

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bob Morales posted:

Sonicwall
Watchguard
Sophos

That's like asking who's less evil: Satan or Lucifer

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Satan is evil, Lucifer is ambitious. Use a Sonicwall.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

I'm not opposed to occasional checking out social media at work as long as it's tech-related but I've got a few co-workers who's internet history is chalk full of Facebook, Imgur, Reddit, ect...

My wife just started a new job and they have an infrastructure guy there (with a very similar title to mine, so she tells people we do the same thing) who apparently checks what people are viewing in real time. It's not an issue to be on Facebook, for example. But you can't be on Facebook for too long. As in, he will come over to your desk and say "hey, you've been on Facebook for too long."

It sounds like an awful job.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ConfusedUs posted:

That's like asking who's less evil: Satan or Lucifer
The Light-bringer, the Morning Star, the Bringer of Dawn can hardly be called evil.

J
Jun 10, 2001

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

From Office 2010 to 2016 to 2013 to 2010 to 2016 last night on my personal computer, oooh that was a fun use of a few hours.

How you gonna post that and not explain why you would do such a thing to yourself?

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

I have never been able to care one jot about what people are doing at work unless I was directly affected by it.

myron cope posted:

It sounds like an awful job.
It sounds like an awful place to work.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

vibur posted:

I have never been able to care one jot about what people are doing at work unless I was directly affected by it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tab8715 posted:

As opposed to our internet histories full of Something Awful. :ironicat:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
My web history at work is full of all kinds of crap, but everything I'm expected to deliver gets delivered when it's supposed to be and the feedback I get from everyone as part of the performance review process is solid. It turns out that the majority of the time if you treat people like grown ups you get great results! That guy who's job is to monitor how much Facebook people use had the shittest job ever.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

J posted:

How you gonna post that and not explain why you would do such a thing to yourself?
lol I'm never much for context.

Started on 2010, decided to upgrade to 2016. It wouldn't connect to the Exchange server, because it has to be able to auto-discover in 2016. I'm not on the office network, I work from home, so I don't expect it to work, so after waiting for 3-4 minutes I realize my mistake. I roll back to 2013, but the installation fails and I can't figure out why. I roll back to 2010 but the installation fails and I can't figure out why. I reinstall 2016 and try to connect Outlook again, and after 10 minutes it works. Whew. For a while there I really thought I was going to have to run Outlook in a VM until I felt like rebuilding my machine.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

skipdogg posted:

It's not for every organization, but it works for us and we like it.

I pretty much buy in copies of Office 2013 home and business and call it a day which is why it's so low, I'd happily give 365 a spin if we weren't such drat cheapskates.

I think when baby's born and next year rolls around I'll try and jump ship, I have to cut so many corners and play McGuyver all the time I'm afraid I'm eventually going to turn into "That" crappy sys admin without the proper guidance and environment.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

OriginalPseudonym posted:

As opposed to our internet histories full of Something Awful. :ironicat:

I intentionally only use my personal email on my phone along with Facebook and The Forums.

Not only because it's frowned upon to be participating in non-work related things at work but that it prevents me from becoming too distracted. It's hard to get sucked into a thread when only looking at a paragraph at a time on a 4-inch screen.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

anthonypants posted:

The Light-bringer, the Morning Star, the Bringer of Dawn can hardly be called evil.

Don't forgot Melek Taus, The Peacock Angel!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
You call me at 4:59 on a Friday to follow up on a ticket I closed yesterday? Kiss my butt.:regd13:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Sorry shipping dept but no, your emails from your shipping vendors aren't being gobbled from the spam filter. They are simply not emailing you. No, there is nothing I can do to make them email you and no I don't have a resolution for this.

Stop asking this every time your boss gets on your rear end for shipping delays. I am not here to bail you out.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Bob Morales posted:

Sonicwall
Watchguard
Sophos

WG is good but the software and web based gui are totally different and behave differently. Never took our Xtm 850 past 25% load so I cant speak for it in stressful situations

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

The RMA unit took a poo poo today. Looks like the exact same problem, HD or whatever it uses for storage puked.

Any suggestions for NOT A FORTINET firewall?

We only have 10/10 connection, would like traffic monitoring capabilities and VPN, we have 100 users behind it.

We are using a PA 200 for an office on a 10/10 (only 15 users though) and a 500 for an office on a 50/50 with 200 users. Had a HDD fail in the 500 in its first month of service. overnight freighted replacement still working.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

:yotj:

Team pulled the trigger today on making me an FTE, no more contracting and bs rules!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

:yotj:

Team pulled the trigger today on making me an FTE, no more contracting and bs rules!

Congrats pal!