Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This is probably more for the TG business thread, but I'm curious what effect KS exclusives, like for CMON games, have on their retail sales? Are they completely cannibalized by the KS since people who would be interested in those games, like Blood Rage, be all like, "I'm buying an incomplete game"? Because that's 100% the reason I'm not buying Blood Rage, regardless of how insignificant the difference is between the versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Peas and Rice posted:

This is what they shuld have done in the beginning.

Is the $300 tier equal to what you get if you buy them all 1:1, value-wise? I'm so loving confused by what's an add on, what isn't, etc. now. I hate Kickstarters like this.

$300 tier gets you:
Agent's Handbook ($50)
Case Officer's Handbook ($70)
The Fall of Delta Green ($50)
The Handler's Screen ($25)
Impossible Landscapes ($50)

Those total $275 by my count. You'd get the pdfs as well, of course.

Plus all the pdfs made available to backers, pdfs of those items, and some pdf only stuff like the Viscid adventure.
The PDFs that cost money are:
Viscid $5
Observer Effect $5
Operational History $15
Archint $5
Iconoclasts $5
The Star Chamber $5

These total an additional $40.

With, as I understand it but have not seen explicitly confirmed, the potential for adding Control Group ($50) and Deep State ($50) if those stretch goals fund.

It is a slight savings at the current funding level and will get better if the additional stuff funds.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

GrandpaPants posted:

This is probably more for the TG business thread, but I'm curious what effect KS exclusives, like for CMON games, have on their retail sales? Are they completely cannibalized by the KS since people who would be interested in those games, like Blood Rage, be all like, "I'm buying an incomplete game"? Because that's 100% the reason I'm not buying Blood Rage, regardless of how insignificant the difference is between the versions.

My local store guy has said he repeatedly got people asking him how to get X character for Zombicide because there are lots of pictures online but several characters were KS exclusives.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
On Friday KnA games is doing an expansion kickstarter for Space Movers.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1570349344/1738086867?token=eeeaaf47

Comparison-wise the game is a co-op like Pandemic crossed with Firefly: The Board Game. The crew has to cross the galaxy to pass skill checks to remove threats and complete objectives, this is done by throwing the dice into the box top. You can throw dice to hit failed numbers to try to knock them to successes and avoid wounds. The game is fun and keeps people involved in the off-turn by having them take part in those skill checks or using cards to increase the likelihood of success. This campaign also has neoprene mats you can line the box top with to make the dice more and I look forward to things going nuts with that.

Subjectively I don't know them personally but like these guys a lot. I played the game with them at GenCon and I could tell there was a lot of love in the game and comics for the characters. They sent me a email to let me know about the upcoming campaign and I thought it was fully automated but they even congratulated me on Garbage Day succeeding.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Aquelarre finally stands a chance of getting an English translation in the guise of a Deluxe Giant Book and whatnot:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1861515217/aquelarre-the-dark-and-mature-medieval-rpg-now-in/description $20K seems hopeful

I wish Kickstarters for translations of P&P things were more common(I have to imagine the state of Anima would be faring so much better in these modern times...), but here's hoping this makes it and further paves the way for more stuff breaking all manner of language barriers.

quote:

Like making a deal with a devil, Aquelarre is not for the faint of heart. It's not an introductory RPG for younger players. The realistic historical setting is dark. Some of the artwork is disturbing. Nosolorol describes this new edition of the game as "more medieval and more demonic than ever" and they are correct on both counts. These are not the watered-down demons that caused trouble for D&D in the 1980's. This is seriously scary stuff. Judge your threshold with this illustration.

Said illustration is maybe the funniest thing ever, but it is indeed NWS

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m7s8q0c47ium71z/AQp232.jpg?dl=0

Funny enough that guy looking at the nard grabbing is making the same face I am looking at this KS. I'm not disgusted or offended, just confused why this is happening.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wow. Edgy. :geno:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

homullus posted:

I am sorry that you did not read the other posts or the post you are quoting. I am not talking about the benefits of KS vs. not-KS, though: Scythe's KS is already over a million dollars over its funding goal. Does backing a game one million dollars over its goal benefit the designer more than having that product purchased off of shelves after the Kickstarter? I am suggesting (apparently controversially) that at some point, a designer might want a product to live in the retail world beyond KS, and having demand for it outside of the KS helps keep that product in the minds of consumers and retailers.

You know internet fulfillment is a thing right

And yeah, he might want that but this is also the dude who literally wrote the book on kickstarter board game success. What do you think genius

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 21, 2015

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

GrandpaPants posted:

Here's two great posts from Gutter Owl about retail, direct order, KS and exclusives, all that good poo poo. Check it out. The first one is here in it's entirety, the second is longer and about the role of direct sales vs. middlemen.

Gutter Owl posted:

That's the problem, though. Those X number sales are the first print run--the sweetest apple in the barrel, because you can unload them fast to the people who want them most and want them now. But after the hype-catchers and early adopters have all bought in, your second, third, and nth print runs are going to trail out slow, which is when you want the distributor/retailer support to sustain you.

But here's the thing: The retailers and distributors want their bite of that sweet first apple too. Being part of the initial sales rush incentivises your partners to throw in with you for the longer haul. And if you've sold all those hot early copies without them, they're not gonna want to pick up your slower, colder leavings.

Now, we've seen that you can go the Kickstarter route and still have success in distro. Stonemaier, Level 99, and Tasty Minstrel are success stories here, partly because they made smart moves and didn't shoot themselves in the foot. Level 99, for example, never does Kickstarter Exclusives. (Exclusives might draw in backers by threatening them with "losing out," but exclusives devalue the later retail copies, which are "incomplete" and unappealing.) But you've gotta make sure you're not making GBS threads on the people who will keep you in business after the rush.

Second post:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687728&pagenumber=69&perpage=40#post440237074

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 21, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Realistic history, man. Maybe you're too much of a little pussy to HANDLE this realness? This was LIFE back then, man. This is what you just lived with, go out to the farm, harvest some grain, come back, werewolves are making your naked wife drink lava while a dude looks on in confusion. This is truly the most grim yet realistic portrayal of historical adventure.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Unless you are a crazy person who also grossly mismanages your kickstarter, there is no point at which you would not want more backers.

Economies of scale, word of mouth advertising, and retail markups all mean that you are always better selling directly to a customer than you are putting a box/book on a store shelf.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

signalnoise posted:

And yeah, he might want that but this is also the dude who literally wrote the book on kickstarter board game success. What do you think genius

I'm not discounting your main point, but I'm not sure a guy writing a book or having a blog makes him a definitive authority on anything. Plenty of idiots with decent marketing behind them have written how-to books. Like, this is a book that is written but by no means am I going to take anything in it more seriously than your average GWS post.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Here's two great posts from Gutter Owl about retail, direct order, KS and exclusives, all that good poo poo. Check it out. The first one is here in it's entirety, the second is longer and about the role of direct sales vs. middlemen.

This is good though.

Has anyone seen how Cthulhu Wars has done in retail? Like, I think MSRP for the core is around the $150-200 and it has a pretty huge footprint, and did I mention that it was $150-200 MSRP? But it also doesn't have a whole lot of exclusives except I think a first player marker of (sexy) Asenath Waite and a pretty cool HP Lovecraft one, so...?

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Said illustration is maybe the funniest thing ever, but it is indeed NWS

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m7s8q0c47ium71z/AQp232.jpg?dl=0

Funny enough that guy looking at the nard grabbing is making the same face I am looking at this KS. I'm not disgusted or offended, just confused why this is happening.

Looks like guy on the right is saying "No I don't know what the gently caress either, stop buggering me"

This artist is the best at facial expressions. Every illustration showcased in the KS page is amazing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cyphoderus posted:

Looks like guy on the right is saying "No I don't know what the gently caress either, stop buggering me"

This artist is the best at facial expressions. Every illustration showcased in the KS page is amazing.

Sick of your poo poo, Satan

I loving LOVE MAGIC

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I loving LOVE MAGIC

Emperor Palpatine summons a seahorse.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm not discounting your main point, but I'm not sure a guy writing a book or having a blog makes him a definitive authority on anything. Plenty of idiots with decent marketing behind them have written how-to books. Like, this is a book that is written but by no means am I going to take anything in it more seriously than your average GWS post.

What I meant here wasnt that he's amazing, but his activities point towards his intentions.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

Has anyone seen how Cthulhu Wars has done in retail? Like, I think MSRP for the core is around the $150-200 and it has a pretty huge footprint, and did I mention that it was $150-200 MSRP? But it also doesn't have a whole lot of exclusives except I think a first player marker of (sexy) Asenath Waite and a pretty cool HP Lovecraft one, so...?

http://www.boardgameguru.co.uk/cthulhu-wars-29126-p.asp

https://www.gameslore.com/acatalog/Games_Horror_Games_483.html#aGRECTHU01

http://www.gamesquest.co.uk/top-pre-orders/cthulhu-wars-miniatures-strategy-board-game

http://www.shiregames.com/khxc/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=999

I don't know how many copies each of them got, but that's the four largest online game stores in the UK all sold out.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ThaShaneTrain posted:

On Friday KnA games is doing an expansion kickstarter for Space Movers.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1570349344/1738086867?token=eeeaaf47

Comparison-wise the game is a co-op like Pandemic crossed with Firefly: The Board Game. The crew has to cross the galaxy to pass skill checks to remove threats and complete objectives, this is done by throwing the dice into the box top. You can throw dice to hit failed numbers to try to knock them to successes and avoid wounds. The game is fun and keeps people involved in the off-turn by having them take part in those skill checks or using cards to increase the likelihood of success. This campaign also has neoprene mats you can line the box top with to make the dice more and I look forward to things going nuts with that.

Subjectively I don't know them personally but like these guys a lot. I played the game with them at GenCon and I could tell there was a lot of love in the game and comics for the characters. They sent me a email to let me know about the upcoming campaign and I thought it was fully automated but they even congratulated me on Garbage Day succeeding.

Those iron-on transfer stretch goals are the worst stretch goals I've ever seen.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
A Kickstarter for an expansion to Super Dungeon Explore just started. What 's the deal there? was the original game any good?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

It's not worth the cash in my opinion. It's a cute game that it worth it if you want a bunch of chibi minis but it lacks serious substance.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

It is fun if you're a hero hacking and slashing bad guys and controlling one badass who gets upgrades and loot.

If you're the overlord then you control a ton of little shits and sometimes they do damage. You have to move at times up to 20 models while the heroes sit back and watch you. Hey you got a boss or a mini-boss that's cool.

I didn't like the game at all until I tried playing a hero, then I saw why my friends wanted to play so much when I was overlord.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
It can be fun. It's not the best game ever, but my group enjoys it whenever we pull it out. There's multiple modes of play now, including one that lets EVERYONE play as a hero and runs the monsters on basic actions determined by cards. It can get complicated, and fiddly. The models are cute. If you don't like dice or random stuff, it's not great, if you do, awesome. There's already a ton of replayability through mixing and matching exisitng expansions and playing different heroes, this is adding a new mode of play, specifically campaigns. YMMV. If on the fence bear in mind that the KS has like...a pin, that will be exclusive, and everything else will be available through them after as general release, so you could get in on it after trying it out if you know anyone who has it. They also continued to offer the last set as a preorder-type fundraiser after the kickstarter, though didn't keep adding stretch goals, so...

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
It's getting to the pointy end, what are peoples thoughts on 7th Continent?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Any given game of Super Dungeon explore lasts 3-6 times longer than it ought to for what it's trying to accomplish.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I consider Super Dungeon Explore to be a miniatures project, not a game project. Think about it from that angle and figure if it's something you wouldn't mind backing. It's hard to find chibi miniatures that don't look terrible.

Edit: I kind of want to use the chibi kobolds for a Kings of War army.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Solemn Sloth posted:

I bit like a sucker, because I am a rube.

The piles of heavy content exclusives are a huge loving dick move, though. I feel dirty giving them money, because it encourages these shady, manipulative practices.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Solemn Sloth posted:

As someone who has actually seen it played: massively poo poo. Buy a Fighting Fantasy book instead.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

inklesspen posted:

They have actually just made things even more complicated: the $300 "NEW AGE" tier gets you all printed books and all new PDFs funded by the project; the $350 "OLD WAYS" tier gets you NEW AGE plus all the old Delta Green PDFs.

For huge numbers of people it's clearly made it far simpler rather than more complicated. Instead of 'pick tier then add ons' it's just become 'pick this and get everything'. Given how the day's numbers spiked, it was clearly the right thing to do.

A number of kickstarters have been trying to fund lines of books. Some such as Modiphius are pretty clearly offsetting but not covering costs, so those books would just be coming out anyways (15k to unlock a book is nowhere near covering its costs) so they had the same sort of 'base book, base book+pdfs, adds ons, all the add ons etc.). I think they managed a better layout for their 'how to do it'. Same with Reaper's miniatures where they've had a spreadhseet for each of their kickstarters.

Sionak posted:

With, as I understand it but have not seen explicitly confirmed, the potential for adding Control Group ($50) and Deep State ($50) if those stretch goals fund.

It is a slight savings at the current funding level and will get better if the additional stuff funds.

Control Group's now unlocked, so the 'everything' tier is now $340 for $300. If Deep State unlocks, which is looking more likely based on yesterday and today, it'll hit $390 for $300 including shipping in the US, and then maybe another $20 for shipping to the UK (Australians are screwed on the shipping though).

Throughout the kickstarter they've had people asking for more and more custom tiers (I want A+B+E, can you do a tier just for that). It's definitely not been the smoothest and clearest, but the number of people who can't do basic maths is astounding.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Masks has three days left, and just unveiled a new set of stretch goals that will ultimately add up to a fourth book if they can hit $85k. Right now there's already a ton of content, but now they're focusing on a SHEILD-equivalent sourcebook.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

PST posted:

For huge numbers of people it's clearly made it far simpler rather than more complicated. Instead of 'pick tier then add ons' it's just become 'pick this and get everything'. Given how the day's numbers spiked, it was clearly the right thing to do.

A number of kickstarters have been trying to fund lines of books. Some such as Modiphius are pretty clearly offsetting but not covering costs, so those books would just be coming out anyways (15k to unlock a book is nowhere near covering its costs) so they had the same sort of 'base book, base book+pdfs, adds ons, all the add ons etc.). I think they managed a better layout for their 'how to do it'. Same with Reaper's miniatures where they've had a spreadhseet for each of their kickstarters.

Control Group's now unlocked, so the 'everything' tier is now $340 for $300. If Deep State unlocks, which is looking more likely based on yesterday and today, it'll hit $390 for $300 including shipping in the US, and then maybe another $20 for shipping to the UK (Australians are screwed on the shipping though).

Throughout the kickstarter they've had people asking for more and more custom tiers (I want A+B+E, can you do a tier just for that). It's definitely not been the smoothest and clearest, but the number of people who can't do basic maths is astounding.

Yeah. Some of the execution of the Kickstarter could have been smoother, but I am still in based on a number of factors. I really like that they put the rules up ahead of time and have them as a free download for anyone looking at the project. And according to the creators in numerous places, they are working hard to avoid Chaosium-ing themselves by making promises they can't possibly match.

The truth, too, is that skill at running a kickstarter and skill at delivering the product are not necessarily the same. (It is Delta Green and a Kickstarter though, so I'll be surprised if they hit all the release dates. But I know that going in, too.)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Queen Games posted:

Dear Backers,
we apologize for the lack of communication. A big part of it was because of us having a problem with an incorrect inventory-list. We realized way too late that we won’t have enough EDO to cover all of you. We regret this mistake very much and do apologize. We will contact everyone by e-mail personally, at the beginning of the next week, to make you an appropriate offer. Again, we are very sorry for the inconvenience!
Queen Games

Edo was part of the Lancaster Big Box Kickstarter. As in, part of the incentive to back at any level was a copy of Edo included with the game. And now they've said they won't have enough inventory of Edo to fulfill all the backer's orders.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

So the final/not-final PDF of Ex3 has gone out to backers, "only" 2 years late.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

senrath posted:

So the final/not-final PDF of Ex3 has gone out to backers, "only" 2 years late.

Still not as late as Far West.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

jivjov posted:

What's the status/timeline of the Ryuutama supplemental material? The game dropped completely off my radar until the beautiful hardcover showed up on my doorstep, and now I'm incredibly jazzed to have more more more of it. I looked over the Kickstarter page, but couldn't find a good list of what all I'm getting with my original Electronic Plus Plus other than the one in the original project post, or a timeline of how it's all looking (specifically, after reading Jim Butcher's new Steampunk book, I want to play an Air Pilot character...)

I asked this about a week ago, and I think it kinda got lost in the shuffle. Do we have a post-release timeline of content for Ryuutama?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Still not as late as Far West.

That's like saying "At least it was out before the heat death of the universe."

jivjov posted:

I asked this about a week ago, and I think it kinda got lost in the shuffle. Do we have a post-release timeline of content for Ryuutama?

Not that I'm aware of.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

They released a PnP "demo" yesterday; even though it's a really pared-down stand-alone thing it does really hammer home how unnecessarily complex the game is.

quote:

This demo for 1 to 3 players introduces the main mechanics of the game. However, be aware that many aspects of the full adventure are not covered here, like choosing which direction to take while exploring the continent, curses and
their clues, hunting, food, fire, experience points, levelling up characters (Advanced Ideas), botany, secondary quests, companions and many other things.

It sucks, because the base idea looks interesting, but there's so much poo poo that'd work better as a PC/tablet game than a board game where you have a computer to keep track of stuff.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Thanks, that's enough to make me not want to spend $200 at least, I'll have a glance at it when it makes it to retail.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I am going to give Arc Dream Publishing three hundred (300) united states dollars. I realize I could get all that poo poo in electronic format for eighty (80) united states dollars, but I'm an old fart and like books you don't have to plug in to recharge. I think this was the pledge level everyone kind of wanted from the get-go and it's weird how convoluted they made everything.

I will hope Deep State unlocks, making it a really good value for the moneys. I don't think they've ever completely failed to deliver something that was crowdfunded, so I'm good with it. It will be nice to get a cool DG book in the mail every so often. I look forward to this.

I like that it will include a book you can pass around the table/loan out for how to make your guy and roll your dice and maybe some basic setting info, and another GM book that's going to have all the weird monsters and conspiracy mans in it. I realize that's hardly novel for many RPG lines but it's handy for a guy coming from CoC/DG where whatever book you gave kind of had it all in there and maybe your player flips to the wrong page accidentally learns how many HP a shoggoth has, and there goes the neighborhood!

I don't even have a proper gaming group right now, but Delta Green has never not been my jam since I first encountered it like 15 years ago. and I'll conscript some people to play g-men fighting squidmonster conspiracies.

I'm really curious if they can really capture a mood the same way again. The 90's were just so crazy with that paranormal/government conspiracy thing. Now we've learned that the federal government is venal and impotent, far from being a shadow government ready to put us all in camps FEMA can't deliver ice, and UFO/critpid sightings seem to have disappeared with the widespread adoption of camera phones. But everyone's afraid of terrorism and it looks like we might have baked our planet beyond fixing. Surveillance is ubiquitous and we accept it and even willingly give up our privacy for the convenience of putting up pictures of our breakfast.

Can you make that into a Cthulhu horror thing? I'm betting three hundo that they can and I want to see how they do it.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 23, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The small fiction vignettes in the demo rules were disturbing enough to sell me on the concept, besides the setting pitch of "if the Cthulhu Mythos is real, of loving course the US government is going to have an agency that's going to fight it (and lose badly)" sounding like a winner even before I ran into the kickstarter.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Jesus goddamn Christ, I hate whoever it was who mentioned True Detective as being a good template for Delta Green.

. . . because it's not 6 AM and I'm on the last episode of season one and I may never sleep again.

(Also I would totally back Delta Green if I could figure out what level gets me physical copies of both the Case Officer's Handbook and Fall of Delta Green without paying for a bunch of other poo poo.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kenlon posted:

(Also I would totally back Delta Green if I could figure out what level gets me physical copies of both the Case Officer's Handbook and Fall of Delta Green without paying for a bunch of other poo poo.)

That's probably the $50 Agent's Hardback tier, then you just increase your pledge to cover the physical Case Officer's Handbook and the physical Fall of Delta Green as add-ons.

• Locked thread