Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

The Insect Court posted:

Legally, probably nothing, given that I already said I am hesitant to toss religious figures and political leaders into jail cells for anything short of what are very clear acts of incitement in the criminal sense.

So, where does it become 'incitement in the criminal sense'? Bear in mind an Israeli (Palestinian) child has just been arrested for some Facebook posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Earlier today a terrorist in the west bank attacked and attempted to stab Rabbi Arik Asherman of "Rabbis for Human Rights":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agqi6akkc20

Yes, the terrorist is a settler and the police released a statement that Rabbi Asherman staged a violent provocation against settlers. Rabbi Asherman and other members of Rabbis For Human Rights went to the village of Awata to help Palestinian farmers to harvest olives from their orchards, which is clearly dangerous incitement worthy of getting beaten and almost stabbed over. This sorta poo poo happens almost every day.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Earlier today a terrorist in the west bank attacked and attempted to stab Rabbi Arik Asherman of "Rabbis for Human Rights":

Yes, the terrorist is a settler and the police released a statement that Rabbi Asherman staged a violent provocation against settlers. Rabbi Asherman and other members of Rabbis For Human Rights went to the village of Awata to help Palestinian farmers to harvest olives from their orchards, which is clearly dangerous incitement worthy of getting beaten and almost stabbed over. This sorta poo poo happens almost every day.

:doh: What the gently caress is wrong with these people.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Will they kill this terrorist and destroy his family's home?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kim Jong Il posted:

As repugnant as many of the speech may be, it serves a valuable shaming purpose in the west to bring all of the awfulness to light. It's proper that the metric fuckton of Hamas anti-Semitism stained/stain the cause of Palestinian nationalism, and while there aren't brigades of Kachites marching through the streets, the NRP types need to be taken down a notch, and made to understand that their continued escalation is materially hurting the cause of Zionism. It's just that both of these have to be dealt with in a smart, targeted way, and in many and most cases they're not.

What in the ever motherlovingfuck. Are you unironically defending Bibi defending Hitler :wtc:

Broken Mind
Jan 27, 2009

Kim Jong Il posted:

As repugnant as many of the speech may be, it serves a valuable shaming purpose in the west to bring all of the awfulness to light. It's proper that the metric fuckton of Hamas anti-Semitism stained/stain the cause of Palestinian nationalism, and while there aren't brigades of Kachites marching through the streets, the NRP types need to be taken down a notch, and made to understand that their continued escalation is materially hurting the cause of Zionism. It's just that both of these have to be dealt with in a smart, targeted way, and in many and most cases they're not.

Are you saying that the metric fuckton of anti-Arab racism coming from Likud and other such parties stained/stains the cause of Israeli nationalism, along with more extreme groups like the settlers and those who defend them?

On a different subject, I am trying to understand what the justification is for demolishing the homes of people who are A) merely related to someone accused of a crime, and B) not in Israeli territory. It can't be a legal action, since it isn't within Israeli jurisdiction. It can't be a moral thing, as it is targeting people for merely being related to someone who has committed a crime or been accused of committing a crime. It can't be as a deterrent, because if that were the case you would think we would have seen evidence that it works as a deterrent, when it seems to do the opposite. I am trying to figure out why the targeting of civilians is somehow okay in these cases.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Venom Snake posted:

What in the ever motherlovingfuck. Are you unironically defending Bibi defending Hitler :wtc:

No he is saying that lying is good as long as it hurts people he doesn't like. Wait poo poo

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Broken Mind posted:

On a different subject, I am trying to understand what the justification is for demolishing the homes of people who are A) merely related to someone accused of a crime, and B) not in Israeli territory. It can't be a legal action, since it isn't within Israeli jurisdiction. It can't be a moral thing, as it is targeting people for merely being related to someone who has committed a crime or been accused of committing a crime. It can't be as a deterrent, because if that were the case you would think we would have seen evidence that it works as a deterrent, when it seems to do the opposite. I am trying to figure out why the targeting of civilians is somehow okay in these cases.

It advances the cause of ethnic cleansing while pretending it's justice.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."
Remember earlier I mentioned that a kid had been arrested for a Facebook post? Well, turns out the only democracy in the Middle East has arrested three kids for that and imprisoned them without trial. The father of one of the dead attackers has also been imprisoned without trial for daring to protest withholding of his son's corpse. Two Israeli courts ordered his release so boom, out come the administrative detention orders.

http://dlvr.it/CWTrdN

Light unto nations.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

And of course, despite the fact that there is video evidence along with multiple eyewitness accounts, there are people flocking to social media to criticize the assault on the rabbi who had the loving utter nerve to help palestinians harvest olives. What the gently caress is wrong with these people.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Remember earlier I mentioned that a kid had been arrested for a Facebook post? Well, turns out the only democracy in the Middle East has arrested three kids for that and imprisoned them without trial. The father of one of the dead attackers has also been imprisoned without trial for daring to protest withholding of his son's corpse. Two Israeli courts ordered his release so boom, out come the administrative detention orders.

http://dlvr.it/CWTrdN

Light unto nations.

So you were just bullshitting when you talked about wanting to see anyone who explicitly or even implicitly supported or justified violence arrested and locked up?

At least when you talked about applying it equally to everyone. I don't see you reconsidering your position on locking up rabbis for incitement.

Broken Mind
Jan 27, 2009

The Insect Court posted:

So you were just bullshitting when you talked about wanting to see anyone who explicitly or even implicitly supported or justified violence arrested and locked up?

At least when you talked about applying it equally to everyone. I don't see you reconsidering your position on locking up rabbis for incitement.

You don't see the difference between kids being arrested and imprisoned without trial/charges, and wanting a (presumably) adult rabbi to face charges for the specific crime of incitement?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Insect Court posted:

What is your opinion on this tho.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

The Insect Court posted:

Go back and read what I've said on the topic. I've talked about investigating, arresting and charging and where necessary putting on (fair) trial. I don't talk about imprisoning children without trial. I don't talk about imprisoning someone for requesting his son's corpse without trial and after two courts have already ordered his release.

Are you just so inured to the idea of locking up Palestinians without trial you assume that everyone thinks imprisonment without fair trial (or even charge) is the norm?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Don't be silly, fair trials are for humans, not for Arabs.

TIC will evade the question as usual, so I've answered for him. You're welcome.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Go back and read what I've said on the topic. I've talked about investigating, arresting and charging and where necessary putting on (fair) trial. I don't talk about imprisoning children without trial. I don't talk about imprisoning someone for requesting his son's corpse without trial and after two courts have already ordered his release.

Are you just so inured to the idea of locking up Palestinians without trial you assume that everyone thinks imprisonment without fair trial (or even charge) is the norm?

Oh, I see. You want them arrested, tried, and imprisoned for incitement, but draw the line at 'administrative detention'? In other words, you still want Palestinians who encourage attacks locked up, you just have concerns about some procedural issues? I assume we can hold you to that and you won't just find another reason to move the goalposts? Are you going to criticize the PA for not arresting and charging imams for incitement?

Can I assume you oppose just as strongly the administrative detention of Jewish terrorists? Will you call for the release of settler extremists detained without charges?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

The Insect Court posted:

Oh, I see. You want them arrested, tried, and imprisoned for incitement, but draw the line at 'administrative detention'? In other words, you still want Palestinians who encourage attacks locked up, you just have concerns about some procedural issues? I assume we can hold you to that and you won't just find another reason to move the goalposts? Are you going to criticize the PA for not arresting and charging imams for incitement?

Can I assume you oppose just as strongly the administrative detention of Jewish terrorists? Will you call for the release of settler extremists detained without charges?

TIC, at this point everyone you are talking to has drawn clear and defensible lines, while you refuse to draw any. You are shadow boxing.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

The Insect Court posted:

You're acting like the rule of law is some sort of minor quibble. What the gently caress is wrong with you.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
For what it's worth reasonable people generally do not believe that being detained without charges is a good thing.

This is called "The Law".

It's an amazing thing that you should probably be more versed in.

I'd have supported not keeping Adolf Eichmann detained without any charges levelled against him, because when you have one law for one person, and another for a different, then you're going down a very dangerous road that will not end well for anyone.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

The Insect Court posted:

It's perfectly consistent to think that it is ok to lock someone up if they have been charged with or convicted of a crime but not if they haven't. In fact this is (theoretically) pretty much the entire basis of western legal systems.

I'm fairly sure most people objecting to e.g. the indefinite detention of people at Guantanamo Bay would not have objected so strongly if they had been imprisoned for life after being convicted of a crime at a fair trial.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jeez, I knew IC really hated Arabs, but not that much.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Venom Snake posted:

You're just now learning that Kim Jong-Il is a terrible person?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Venom Snake posted:

Uh, no, I'm disagreeing with Hong.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Kim Jong Il posted:

Yes, we gather that you think that total dissimulatoon, in the face of decades of effort to make the holocaust an a politically accepted hallmark of atrocity, of the type condemned absolutely by yard vashem, has its upsides.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

In truth, Bibi's policy has from the first to the last been totally suicidal for Israel. He has made the country itself party political in the US and reliant only on historic guilt in Europe. He has created no good will in the west.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Disinterested posted:

In truth, Bibi's policy has from the first to the last been totally suicidal for Israel. He has made the country itself party political in the US and reliant only on historic guilt in Europe. He has created no good will in the west.

It has been the habit of pretty much every right-wing government around the world to wreck their countries to get questionable short-term gains. When seen that way, Bibi is jsut a particular incompetent one.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

Kim Jong Il posted:

What exactly are you disagreeing with? That Husseini wasn't the architect of the final solution?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kim Jong Il posted:

You said that this was good because you think a man whos been long dead isn't considered enough of a monster by the west? The only real thing Iv seen you do this entire thread is to attempt to truth in the middle indefensible bullshit. Holocaust revisionism is loving awful.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Look at all these antisemites trying to blame Hitler.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
In entirely different news, since Economy Minister Aryeh Deri refuses to use his unique powers to fast-track the approval of the current gas exploitation and revenue framework signed with Nobel Energy for fields off of Israel's Mediterranean coast, Netanyahu plans to have him resign his post --- and speaking to Israel's "Meet the Press", Deri has expressed a willingness to do so --- leaving Netanyahu as acting minister so he can do it instead. This is the head of a pivotal partner in the coalition (that's all of them, due to the razor-thin margin it has), so he must be getting something out of it either for himself or for Shas's political machine.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

zeal posted:

are you trying to contend that the Jim Crow laws weren't 'codified in law and supported by the military'? Cause segregation's in that list, and I've got some bad news about the decades between the 1890s and 1960s.

It'd be hard to call them democratic, given that after Reconstruction ended and federal troops were withdrawn, many Southern areas engaged in blatant vote fraud, and in many others angry mobs of ex-Confederate soldiers literally expelled the elected governments by force and imposed their own instead.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Main Paineframe posted:

It'd be hard to call them democratic, given that after Reconstruction ended and federal troops were withdrawn, many Southern areas engaged in blatant vote fraud, and in many others angry mobs of ex-Confederate soldiers literally expelled the elected governments by force and imposed their own instead.

You could say that the Federal troops that enforced desegregation were a military deployment to an unruly region. Only, somewhat unique in history, the region was unruly because they wanted to limit democratic rights and freedom. :v:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Main Paineframe posted:

No it wouldn't. It would in fact, be very easy to call them democratic and legally sanctioned. Stomping on black people has a long and proud history in America that binds the nation together as they vote democratically to keep them niggers in line somewhere far away from the ballot box.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Disinterested posted:

Yes, we gather that you think that total dissimulatoon, in the face of decades of effort to make the holocaust an a politically accepted hallmark of atrocity, of the type condemned absolutely by yard vashem, has its upsides.

Literally nothing you're discussing any relevance at all to what I said.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
It's getting to the point now where I'm starting to have active contempt towards people who self-censor about Israel around their zionist family members or friends for the sake of "harmony"

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Let's keep it 100; sometimes no matter how strongly you feel about something you should probably bite your tongue about it. I totally get what you're talking about but hey, you gotta pick your battles.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Ultramega posted:

Let's keep it 100; sometimes no matter how strongly you feel about something you should probably bite your tongue about it. I totally get what you're talking about but hey, you gotta pick your battles.

This, and I can't remember the last time an argument over the loving Thanksgiving table ended in both sides walking away more enlightened and with different opinions than when they went in.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

XMNN posted:

It's perfectly consistent to think that it is ok to lock someone up if they have been charged with or convicted of a crime but not if they haven't. In fact this is (theoretically) pretty much the entire basis of western legal systems.

Of course, there are very obvious objections to administrative detention(in Israel or elsewhere). It's just that it's a staggeringly obvious dodge when H.X. implies he wants Israeli police tossing Arab-Israelis in jail for Facebook posts supporting the current wave of 'resistance' as long as certain basic procedural safeguards are met. If he thinks that the people responsible for social media posts like these belong in jail, then it hasn't been very apparent given the nonstop link spam of "evil Rabbi says a thing" posts.

All I'm saying is that if someone is champing at the bit to lock up rabbis who say things like "It's acceptable to kill disabled terrorists" must either also insist that any Muslim religious authority who says something along the lines of "It's acceptable to carry out attacks against Jewish civilians" belongs in an Israeli prison(as long as they get arrested by Israeli police and convicted by Israeli courts), or by definition then it's not the content of the speech that is disturbing but the identity of speaker.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

The Insect Court posted:

All I'm saying is that if someone is champing at the bit to lock up rabbis who say things like "It's acceptable to kill disabled terrorists" must either also insist that any Muslim religious authority who says something along the lines of "It's acceptable to carry out attacks against Jewish civilians" belongs in an Israeli prison(as long as they get arrested by Israeli police and convicted by Israeli courts), or by definition then it's not the content of the speech that is disturbing but the identity of speaker.

Your example was in Gaza. If any imam within Israel said anything similar, they would in fact be in an Israeli prison. Radical Muslim groups within Israel such as the Islamic Movement are very careful to couch their rhetoric in generalities; members who fail to do so (such as Raed Salah) run the risk of imprisonment for incitement. Unlike your example of "evil rabbis who said a thing" and are free to do so, because, hey, it's not like Arabs count.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

This, and I can't remember the last time an argument over the loving Thanksgiving table ended in both sides walking away more enlightened and with different opinions than when they went in.

Actually, they don't deserve any of my delicious turkey, the shitheads. :colbert:

• Locked thread