Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

enraged_camel posted:

Why are fruits and flowers colorful? Because they have evolved to attract various animals (bees, mammals, etc.) and to get eaten by them so that the pollens and seeds spread.

This is the exact reason why humans find bright colors appealing. We have evolved to detect and become attracted to them because it helped us survive and thrive in the otherwise barren African savannah back in the day.

Native landscaping doesn't look as pleasant because it is designed to fit in to the rest of the environment (which is often times nowhere as green or bright), rather than stick out.

You should write a book. The world needs to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

If only one of the native biomes of California was Oak Savannah or something....

Wow, way to move goal-posts. The guy proved you wrong with the studies he linked, and now you're falling back on "well, one of the native biomes in California is a type of savannah.........""

yea ok

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Wow, way to move goal-posts. The guy proved you wrong with the studies he linked, and now you're falling back on "well, one of the native biomes in California is a type of savannah.........""

yea ok

Actually, the links cited in fact refer to the savannah hypothesis as only one of many theories. Nowhere in those links did it say anything about lawns being preferred to gardens. The only thing it says that could be used to count my point is this:

quote:

Studies in landscape planning unrelated to biophilia have consistently shown that people prefer semi-open landscapes with large trees and water over either dense forest or desert
(Ulrich 1993). Scruffy, dense habitats with rough ground texture are consistently disliked. Similar results are found cross culturally.

Native landscaping around the home wouldn't be a forest and doesn't have to be a desert. (Hint: people living in a desert probably should grow a grass lawn either)

I have however seen people remove large trees so that they could get better sun for their lawn.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Actually, the links cited in fact refer to the savannah hypothesis as only one of many theories. Nowhere in those links did it say anything about lawns being preferred to gardens. The only thing it says that could be used to count my point is this:

Native landscaping around the home wouldn't be a forest and doesn't have to be a desert. (Hint: people living in a desert probably should grow a grass lawn either)

I have however seen people remove large trees so that they could get better sun for their lawn.

Without going into :biotruth: poo poo, what people prefer is entangled in cultural values.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

Why are fruits and flowers colorful? Because they have evolved to attract various animals (bees, mammals, etc.) and to get eaten by them so that the pollens and seeds spread.

This is the exact reason why humans find bright colors appealing. We have evolved to detect and become attracted to them because it helped us survive and thrive in the otherwise barren African savannah back in the day.

Native landscaping doesn't look as pleasant because it is designed to fit in to the rest of the environment (which is often times nowhere as green or bright), rather than stick out.

There are some problems with your theory seeing as bright colors can often be warning signals for harmful or poisonous plants and animals. The complexity of the human brain also means we can create connections that can overcome the kinds of subconscious evolutionary behavior you're talking about.

Basically its more complex then you making it out to be so generalizing the entirety of humanity isn't doing you any favors.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I wish "what would the neighbors think" wasn't such a critical question in what people do with their yards. gently caress I don't know, that's probably half of what's driving water reduction....

I wish everyone's neighbors' opinions aligned with what was best for us and our environment I guess....

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

I wish "what would the neighbors think" wasn't such a critical question in what people do with their yards.

Unfortunately most of the time what the HOA thinks matters because they can make your life hell.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I'd never thought I'd see a :biotruths: argument about lawns. This is amazing.

Just get nice little decorative "CONGRESS CREATED DUST BOWL" signs for your dead lawns, everyone. Problem solved.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Space-Bird posted:

Just get nice little decorative "CONGRESS CREATED DUST BOWL" signs for your dead lawns, everyone. Problem solved.

I still want my "KEEP HETCH HETCHY BLUE" bumper sticker.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Choadmaster posted:

I hate lawns as much as the next guy, but to claim that greenery and flowers don't exist in nature is loving stupid.

Yes, because that's what I said all right. :rolleyes:

BTW I'm gonna lawn shame because it's an important part of fixing the problem with wasteful use of water. We need cultural change as well as legislation.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Trabisnikof posted:

I still want my "KEEP HETCH HETCHY BLUE" bumper sticker.

Wasn't there some insane thing on the ballot a few years back trying to get rid of Hetch Hetchy? Like to 'restore it to it's natural habitat' (drain the literal aquifer that provides water to most of northern California)

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Space-Bird posted:

Wasn't there some insane thing on the ballot a few years back trying to get rid of Hetch Hetchy? Like to 'restore it to it's natural habitat' (drain the literal aquifer that provides water to most of northern California)

Indeed. The people who wanted to drain it were loving livid that the ballot language said it would drain Hetch Hetchy. They prefer "restoring the valley."

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Space-Bird posted:

It comes up every few weeks actually.

Some people are just really really mad about lawns. Like really mad.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

FCKGW posted:

I like lawns, I wish congress would stop talking them away.

This is a pretty good thing about lawns, except the super twee formatting they insist on doing. http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/lawn-order/

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Front lawns are stupid, people don't even use them for anything.

Like just drive around, how often is a front lawn being actively used other than just to maintain it? Maybe 0.1% of the time?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Space-Bird posted:

I like lawns, I wish congress would stop talking them away.

This is a pretty good thing about lawns, except the super twee formatting they insist on doing. http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/lawn-order/

Yes, that lawn episode has been posted 3 times in the past 2 pages already. No, some people actually enjoy their lawns and aren't being "tricked" into believing their an English king or whatever it's supposed to prove.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Space-Bird posted:

As long as the signs are various shades of green.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I don't mind lawns, actually. I have one myself. It's about 8% of the 3/4ths of an acre that I live on. I used to be about 20% lawn but, you know, the drought....figured it was time to go. I might bring a little bit more back but it's hard to find grass that feels good and doesn't take a shitload of water.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In any case, the artificial lawns now available are totally convincing from about 3 feet away, so people who want green all the time can do that without using water. Artificial lawn sellers in the Bay Area are making money hand over fist.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I'm not angry at all. On the contrary, the only people who are angry seem to be those who keep going on and on about "biotruths" or whatever the popular D&D meme is these days.

All I'm saying is this: cultural conditioning is not the only reason we enjoy green lawns. In fact, the whole "cultural vs. natural" thing is a dumb false dichotomy. Often times, culture reinforces our natural dispositions, which would help explain why something that started among aristocracy caught on among the common folk. "Status symbol" is a very unscientific explanation, whereas humans' natural tendency to prefer savannahs is not (since it has been proven in cross-cultural studies).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A two-inch cut of solid green european grass looks nothing like a savannah. Jesus christ.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In any case, the artificial lawns now available are totally convincing from about 3 feet away, so people who want green all the time can do that without using water. Artificial lawn sellers in the Bay Area are making money hand over fist.

Jesus Christ that's awful. Don't do this in Southern California everyone, the urban heat trap is already terrible.

My parents re-did their yards using natives. It looks good and they get a lot of pretty birds that they never did before.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

A two-inch cut of solid green european grass looks nothing like a savannah. Jesus christ.

It will if you hire a good gardener. ;)

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Cicero posted:

Front lawns are stupid, people don't even use them for anything.

Like just drive around, how often is a front lawn being actively used other than just to maintain it? Maybe 0.1% of the time?

Growing up having to mow the lawn when you have allergies only convinced me that I would never in my life own a lawn.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yes, because that's what I said all right. :rolleyes:
This is what you said:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"Humans are genetically evolved to be attracted to something that doesn't exist in nature" --an idiot

Just some stupid straw man. Please explain it if you like.

People are inherently attracted to lush greenery. It's a thing. There are lots of ways to make your yard green, and lawns are a popular one here in the US. So is planting a lot of other lush, water-drinking vegetation. Getting people to give this up in favor of plants that are happier in semi-arid and desert regions (typically less lush looking) is going to present difficulties. I don't see why this is controversial at all.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Choadmaster posted:

People are inherently attracted to lush greenery. It's a thing.
"Attracted to lush greenery" and "Attracted to savannahs" are not remotely the same thing. Many types of savannah go dry-beige in the summertime -- see, for instance, the California oak savannah. And gardening is very much a matter of fashion -- the French gardens of the 1600s-1700s had patterns of raked gravel with topiary plants laid out in a formal pattern. Not a green lawn in sight. Rolling lawns with the illusion of infinite forests and hills smoothly connected to the house are very much an English thing, starting in the early 18th century. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_landscape_garden

Point being, people's imaginary tropism toward greenery didn't stop the French from thinking their formal gardens not only beautiful, but a triumph of civilization.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

BattleHamster posted:

Basically its more complex then you making it out to be so generalizing the entirety of humanity isn't doing you any favors.

Ignoring the fact that people have subconscious biases isn't doing you any favors, if you're trying to sway people away from those biases.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"Attracted to lush greenery" and "Attracted to savannahs" are not remotely the same thing. Many types of savannah go dry-beige in the summertime -- see, for instance, the California oak savannah. And gardening is very much a matter of fashion -- the French gardens of the 1600s-1700s had patterns of raked gravel with topiary plants laid out in a formal pattern. Not a green lawn in sight. Rolling lawns with the illusion of infinite forests and hills smoothly connected to the house are very much an English thing, starting in the early 18th century. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_landscape_garden

Point being, people's imaginary tropism toward greenery didn't stop the French from thinking their formal gardens not only beautiful, but a triumph of civilization.

You are ignoring that these were cross-cultural studies that involved people in all sorts of environments, and focusing WAY too hard on the word savannah. People like green spaces, particularly green open spaces with visible water. To our migratory hunter-gatherer ancestors who might have crested a hill and had to choose between a brown valley and a green one, a bias towards signs of fertility was an obvious bonus. The fact that nature can't be green all the times does not do away with the fact that green is a good sign.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Choadmaster posted:

People like green spaces, particularly green open spaces with visible water.
Then they shouldn't loving move to desert or Mediterranean climates. I, for one, like tulips and crocus, but I'm not spending $$$ to partially freeze my garden every winter.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

California native gardening is not typically brown.

These images:
https://www.google.com/search?q=california+native+garden&source=lnms&tbm=isch

look a lot more like a savannah than these images:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&q=suburban+lawn

And, seriously, it doesn't loving matter. We can't afford to keep watering lawns, so we need to change perceptions, which we know for a fact can be done because many cultures worldwide have favored gardens that aren't lawns at various times for centuries.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 24, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

You are ignoring that these were cross-cultural studies that involved people in all sorts of environments, and focusing WAY too hard on the word savannah. People like green spaces, particularly green open spaces with visible water. To our migratory hunter-gatherer ancestors who might have crested a hill and had to choose between a brown valley and a green one, a bias towards signs of fertility was an obvious bonus. The fact that nature can't be green all the times does not do away with the fact that green is a good sign.

You're confusing "green spaces" with spaces that are literally green. It is a term that encompasses native landscaping, gardens, etc too.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Then they shouldn't loving move to desert or Mediterranean climates. I, for one, like tulips and crocus, but I'm not spending $$$ to partially freeze my garden every winter.

I don't think lawns are appropriate in this climate either. I've got a front yard full of wood chips and one lonely cactus. But that's an entirely separate discussion from whether or not people have an inherent bias towards greenery.

Edit:

Trabisnikof posted:

You're confusing "green spaces" with spaces that are literally green. It is a term that encompasses native landscaping, gardens, etc too.

No, you're the one confused. It's literally the color green that people like in their plants. A "green space" made of brownish or grayish plants is less appealing than one with bright green plants.

Leperflesh posted:

California native gardening is not typically brown.
These images: https://www.google.com/search?q=california+native+garden&source=lnms&tbm=isch

Not many of those look particularly lush to me. But you're right, a garden planted with the right native plants can look pretty drat nice.

Leperflesh posted:

We can't afford to keep watering lawns, so we need to change perceptions, which we know for a fact can be done because many cultures worldwide have favored gardens that aren't lawns at various times for centuries.

Totally agreed. I just took issue with people calling enraged_camel an idiot for something that is factually correct. People have a bias - but that bias can certainly be overcome by other factors.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 24, 2015

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I like lush lawns because they feel good to walk on with bare feet.

But I'm not going to hide behind that or our supposed genetic desire for savannahs to oppose water conservation. Peer pressure (aka water shaming) is a great way to affect change before there is enough community support for legislative action.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Leperflesh posted:

And, seriously, it doesn't loving matter. We can't afford to keep watering lawns, so we need to change perceptions, which we know for a fact can be done because many cultures worldwide have favored gardens that aren't lawns at various times for centuries.
I think there is a difference between "We need to reform the way we use water in the state of CA" and "NO ONE CAN EVER HAVE A LAWN AGAIN". We in fact CAN continue to have green lawns as one part of our statewide water usage, but there does need to be big changes to the way water is allocated and consumed in CA. As has been repeated in various ways in this thread and others, we can turn every front lawn in CA to sand and still run out of water if we grow Alfalfa in the central valley in August.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Saint Fu posted:

But I'm not going to hide behind that or our supposed genetic desire for savannahs to oppose water conservation.

Literally nobody in this thread is doing that. I feel the need to repeat this because a lot of people seem to be misunderstanding.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

cheese posted:

As has been repeated in various ways in this thread and others, we can turn every front lawn in CA to sand and still run out of water if we grow Alfalfa in the central valley in August.
My daughter and a friend drove SF-Fresno day before yesterday. They passed fields and fields of almonds, giving them the stink-eye as they drove, and saw a couple of signs to the effect of "What's wrong with growing food for money?"

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Choadmaster posted:

Literally nobody in this thread is doing that. I feel the need to repeat this because a lot of people seem to be misunderstanding.
Oh, I was referring to the posts that got this whole thing started:

FCKGW posted:

Water shaming is loving stupid.

FCKGW posted:

Perhaps the cities and water agencies should handle excessive water consumption and let's not have everyone snitch on their neighbors because they use more water than you.

enraged_camel posted:

Green looks more pleasant to the eye than brown. You aren't going to change that by shaming people, sorry.
I should have said, "But I'm not going to hide behind that or our supposed genetic desire for savannahs to not try to use peer pressure to reduce water consumption."

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I think what Leperflesh did in his last post is a good way to go about it: show people that their gardens can still be green. It's not as pleasingly intense green as other vegetation (at least to me) but it's more than enough. Many people imagine a dead lawn or piles of gravel with a kokopelli statue as an accent and you'll have a hell of a time convincing them to change if that's the vision in their heads.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

cheese posted:

I think there is a difference between "We need to reform the way we use water in the state of CA" and "NO ONE CAN EVER HAVE A LAWN AGAIN". We in fact CAN continue to have green lawns as one part of our statewide water usage, but there does need to be big changes to the way water is allocated and consumed in CA. As has been repeated in various ways in this thread and others, we can turn every front lawn in CA to sand and still run out of water if we grow Alfalfa in the central valley in August.

Oh I completely agree. Watering lawns is a drop in the bucket in terms of overall consumption of water in the state. But I believe we got started on this topic by discussing the very wealthy individuals spending many thousands of dollars a month to water their palatial estates? And I also think there's something to be said for reversing or fighting the acculturation that makes people prefer (totally unnatural) trimmed green patches of lawn, to (much more natural) varied gardens of native plants. Because if we as Californians can take personal responsibility for making good decisions about water use, we're more likely to insist on the government and private industry reforms necessary to make large-scale water conservation and sustainability possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My daughter and a friend drove SF-Fresno day before yesterday. They passed fields and fields of almonds, giving them the stink-eye as they drove, and saw a couple of signs to the effect of "What's wrong with growing food for money?"

I thought those signs were pretty cute, but I was driving by fields of cotton at the time, so it was even more absurd.