Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

3 inches taller than average?!?! :monocle:Wow! I'm 6' nothing so I guess I'll just go ahead and call Guinness!

I'm 6' and I didn't think I looked particularly ridiculous on my mate's VTR250 which was easily the smallest non-scooter I've ever ridden. I thought it was quite nice :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

I'm 6' and I didn't think I looked particularly ridiculous on my mate's VTR250 which was easily the smallest non-scooter I've ever ridden. I thought it was quite nice :confused:

Ah yes, but due to the massive wind drag created by your lanky appatosaurus body the scooter must have had trouble topping 35, no?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Ah yes, but due to the massive wind drag created by your lanky appatosaurus body the scooter must have had trouble topping 35, no?

Yeah totally not even near enough power at all I felt like I could run faster bro.

Realtalk: that was the best (four stroke) 250 I've ever ridden, and yes I've ridden the 18,000rpm I4 ones. Perfect engine, perfect ergos, good enough suspension, no fairings.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'm 5'11 but all torso with a 30 inch inseam. The BMW is a touch tall for me with the high seat, but it's worth it for the additional leg room. One foot down is no problem after the 35 inch seat height of the 690 SMC.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Sometimes the knee of my 34" inseam bumps into the head of my Kawasaki zrex 1200r engine. I'm thinking of trading up to something more my size like the Rocket 3 or the Diavel. Anyone got a preference?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Diavel, no question. Step up to rampant absurdity.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Sometimes the knee of my 34" inseam bumps into the head of my Kawasaki zrex 1200r engine. I'm thinking of trading up to something more my size like the Rocket 3 or the Diavel. Anyone got a preference?

Boss Hoss.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Chichevache posted:

VMAX or BKING

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

Chichevache posted:

Why do all the people who are 6' nothing think they're too big for most bikes? Congratulations, you're like an inch above average.

Reading reviews on pretty much any 250 cruiser starter bike has lots of people saying the bike was too small for them. Personally I feet fine on that size bike like I said, but it was only 2 days of riding. Just don't want to drop a bunch of money into a bike and have it not fit that well after riding for a few weeks.

Are 250 Ninjas supposed to be like >$2k?

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Laminator posted:

The ugly ones.

How much should I pay for a '95 Yamaha Yzf600r with 23k miles on it? Carbs cleaned, new plugs, street fighter conversion.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 22, 2015

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I wouldn't think any more than $1,000.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Shadowlz posted:

The ugly ones.

How much should I pay for a '95 Yamaha Yzf600r with 23k miles on it? Carbs cleaned, new plugs, street fighter conversion.

That "headlight" has got to be loving blinding to incoming traffic. I would have a very unfriendly conversation with the owner if I would ever meet them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shadowlz posted:

The ugly ones.

That's an incredibly generous use of the word 'conversion'.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

That "headlight" has got to be loving blinding to incoming traffic. I would have a very unfriendly conversation with the owner if I would ever meet them.

haha thats a 7" amazon chinese lightbar, its bright, but no brighter than some newer headlight.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Laminator posted:

Shadowlz posted:

The ugly ones.

Not true. Depending on the time of year, you should be able to find a great condition pregen between 1200-2000. In the winter this number dips strongly towards the low end.

Unless you mean the pregens are ugly, in which case you are not alone, and it's ok to be heinously wrong. The flame stickers are one of the worst design decisions I've ever seen, though, especially on a bike with such pretty bodywork design.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Coydog posted:

The flame stickers are one of the worst design decisions I've ever seen, though, especially on a bike with such pretty bodywork design.

I thought the same until I saw it in person. The only thing more hilariously awesome is maybe the Kawasaki green ones.

Shamelessly reposting mine

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Laminator posted:

Now that summer's gone, nah. There are even a few newer ones at just under $2k around me when a few months ago I was complaining about prices.

1998 Ninja 250 $550
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/5280719272.html

Friend of mine is trying to sell what's left of his 2012 250 as well. Got hit pretty hard by a drunk driver (it was parked, he's fine).

I'm planning on spending the entire winter wearing down the girlfriend on me buying a cheap sport bike, and settling on one that I'll be happy with.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Dutymode posted:

I wouldn't think any more than $1,000.

Hes actually asking $1000 or best offer. bet I could get it for like $700.

Also yes I think most pregens are ugly. It was a bad joke. Dutymode's pregen is awesome though so now I'm confused and angry.

VVV Yeah I wish he didn't ruin it.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 23, 2015

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Yea, after I posted that I thought, I'd be happy to sell that thing for $1,000. I think the rule is a bike is worth its displacement if it's running, doubt that one is worth much more. I also wouldn't trust that thing not to kill me.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I don't know what is worse, that 95 yzf600r or my 97 when I got it

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I've been looking at a BMW R850R recently and might be pulling the trigger on it soon unless someone can talk me out of it! Guy wants almost $4k but if it sits much longer I'd shoot for $3k. 24k miles. Any serious issues I should be aware of?

Also picking up an M50 for a song that I'm hoping the wife will be comfortable on... Just have to fix it. Might require a "new motor" if I heard correctly. Also talk me out of this.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Any reason you aren't looking at a 1100 or 1150? AFAIK the 850s are just sleeved down 1100s with no weight advantage.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

clutchpuck posted:

Any reason you aren't looking at a 1100 or 1150? AFAIK the 850s are just sleeved down 1100s with no weight advantage.

That is all the reason I need! Ok, I guess I will look into that and probably start looking at 1100 and 1150s! I liked the idea of a lighter bike but if they are the same I don't see the point. Unless I could get it way cheaper than that.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Yea, AFAIK they are identical bikes except for bore diameter. I've been looking at these, too, lately. Seems like the closest thing to a newer, lighter, naked goldwing.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If you want a lighter bike, I don't know if the R is gonna satisfy. They're 500+lbs.

My wife loves her 1150, but whenever I ride it I feel like I am wielding a cudgel. It constantly reminds me that there's 40 stone between me and the pavement.

(Ride a XB12S)

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

If you want a lighter bike, I don't know if the R is gonna satisfy. They're 500+lbs.

My wife loves her 1150, but whenever I ride it I feel like I am wielding a cudgel. It constantly reminds me that there's 40 stone between me and the pavement.

(Ride a XB12S)

I don't know about Dutymold, but it is certainly lighter than a goldwing but about the same as my Sportster. I was able to ride an older R1100R the other day and loved it, which is what got me thinking about the R series. Coming from an already bloated bike it felt great but I could see coming from a lighter bike why you would be disappointed. I also tried an SV650S, now I need 5 bikes.

Trying to convince my wife that that is ok, she says I should have know better to say the word "project" around a mechanic's daughter. I think she is just trying to delay the inevitable. It won't be long until there is a 60s bug in the backyard with no engine and a 40s dodge with no wheels or hood in the side yard. Just like her dad :) (in fact we will probably inherit those...)!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Wait, I had a question about the R series.

Any reason to avoid the higher mileage 1100 and 1150s? I've seen some decent deals on RTs but they always have 50-60k+ miles. And the Rs are pretty close to that or way more expensive. I've done a little research and it suggests the engines and trans last a long time if service properly, but anyone have experience with them?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My wife's is up to 66000 after our Sturgis trip this year. The basics have been solid; engine, trans, clutch, brakes. Takes a little extra maintenance in general with the hydraulic actuated clutch, 3 different oils, and 6000 mile valve clearance and TB sync intervals. She had to replace the control cables this year, which is some crazy byzantine arrangement of like 5 cables and a junction box.

We're not looking forward to replacing the clutch, but if it's around much longer it's probably gonna need to be done. She is itching to inspect her clutch spline, which is the one major "is your bike a time bomb?" gotcha on these.

They're expressive in that they will let you know that they aren't up on maintenance. Real sensitive about their valves, throttle body balance, and air filter.

E: I just remembered it has a weird for a bike car alternator with a v-belt. V-belt needs occasional replacement and tension.

ee: oh yeah and Motorrad parts are never cheap.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 23, 2015

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

clutchpuck posted:

My wife's is up to 66000 after our Sturgis trip this year. The basics have been solid; engine, trans, clutch, brakes. Takes a little extra maintenance in general with the hydraulic actuated clutch, 3 different oils, and 6000 mile valve clearance and TB sync intervals. She had to replace the control cables this year, which is some crazy byzantine arrangement of like 5 cables and a junction box.

We're not looking forward to replacing the clutch, but if it's around much longer it's probably gonna need to be done. She is itching to inspect her clutch spline, which is the one major "is your bike a time bomb?" gotcha on these.

They're expressive in that they will let you know that they aren't up on maintenance. Real sensitive about their valves, throttle body balance, and air filter.

Hey Clutch! you could always get her a Uly; http://www.grizzlyhd.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=1598459&p=3&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Which scared you more, the accidental wheelies or accidental stoppies?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
IIRC some of em have timing chain issues too. but only on one side, or something odd like that.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

El Jebus posted:

Wait, I had a question about the R series.

Any reason to avoid the higher mileage 1100 and 1150s? I've seen some decent deals on RTs but they always have 50-60k+ miles. And the Rs are pretty close to that or way more expensive. I've done a little research and it suggests the engines and trans last a long time if service properly, but anyone have experience with them?

I don't have any first hand experience with them, but when I was shopping them I found out there was an issue with timing chain tensioners. BMW used the same tensioner on both sides of the bike and on one side (right?) it means the oil drains out of the tensioner and you get a lot of chain slap on startup. That can break the guides, and you have to split the case to fix it - and you'll probably bend some valves too. Other than that, everybody I've talked to loves them.

I still kinda want a Rockster.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

clutchpuck posted:

Which scared you more, the accidental wheelies or accidental stoppies?

Not scared, just getting older and not as limber as I used to be. That seat is quite a ways to throw a leg. That said everything else about it was great.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

haha thats a 7" amazon chinese lightbar, its bright, but no brighter than some newer headlight.

A maglite is blinding when pointed directly into your eyes. Brightness isn't everything.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
This guy keeps dropping the price on this thing, and I keep telling myself I don't want a 24 year old bike.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/mcy/5275796146.html

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You want to rip the plastics off and make it a badass fighter.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
I'm in the market for a dual sport. I've only ever had standards or sport bikes. I'd be using it as a short distance commuter mostly, but I want to try out some newb fire roads on the weekends. No real experience in the dirt. Hoping to pick up something cheap as it's nearing the end of the season here in Colorado.

I rode an 02 drz400s with about 8k last night, listed at 2900. Looked a little rough but ran fine. Pretty fun bike to zip around on, if a bit tall, but I was comfortable standing after a few stops. Front end is real wobbly above 60mph. He had pretty aggressive offroad tires on it, wondering if that would smooth out with something less knobby. I offered 2k, he said it wouldn't go below 2800 but texted me this morning with a 2600 counter. What would you pay?

The other one I've looked at is an 01 KLR650 with 24k. He's asking 2250. From what I've read this is probably a better fit for me since I'll mostly use it on the street, but that's a lot of miles.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

24k miles is no issue if the bike has been maintained. My cbr500r has 41k miles and my Vstrom has 43k miles. KLR is pretty reliable too AFAIK.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
thats not many miles for a klr. make sure the doohickey is done.

DRZ is significantly better to ride offroad. Firetrails or not. and the learning curve hurts less when you dump a lighter bike offroad.
If you're a fairly strong/big dude you can muscle a KLR around. It will wear you out.

Onroad? Imo they both suck. but you can make them suck less with seats, windscreens, and other bolt on bullshit.

I've owned both, and rack a shitload of miles on and offroad. No loving way would I go back to a KLR unless it had not 1980s suspension and power.

DRZ has its own issues too, make sure the locktite fixes are done.
Stators last ~20,000mi. Valves tend to come apart with high miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

cursedshitbox posted:

thats not many miles for a klr. make sure the doohickey is done.

DRZ is significantly better to ride offroad. Firetrails or not. and the learning curve hurts less when you dump a lighter bike offroad.
If you're a fairly strong/big dude you can muscle a KLR around. It will wear you out.

Onroad? Imo they both suck. but you can make them suck less with seats, windscreens, and other bolt on bullshit.

I've owned both, and rack a shitload of miles on and offroad. No loving way would I go back to a KLR unless it had not 1980s suspension and power.

DRZ has its own issues too, make sure the locktite fixes are done.
Stators last ~20,000mi. Valves tend to come apart with high miles.

Confirming that the DRZ stators blow at 20k. I think a stator and R/R cost me $120 shipped. Valves aren't much more than that. Top end rebuild/BB kits (not including valves) are around $350-550. Bottom end kits are around another 300. They're cheap/reliable bikes to fix so long as you remember to put med. strength threadlocker on everything and don't turn your 400 into a 484.

I'd try to wait for an SM that comes with dirt wheels, but that seems like it might be a good buy for 2600. Does it have any mods? (pipe, airbox, carb, etc)

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 25, 2015