Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Why did RTD decide to go for four specials in 2009 instead of a full series? Was it his partner's illness?

Tennant wanted to do some stage work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

"This is very important, Amy. We never, ever, ever interfere!"
Immediately rushes off screen to interfere

:allears:

I loved that moment a great deal and I thought that whole episode was terribly underrated for what it was supposed to accomplish. If you come into that episode knowing as much about the Doctor as Amy Pond does, it sets up so much and explains everything so perfectly.

Plus there's

"Sorry. Checking all the water in this area. There's an escaped fish." [taps nose conspiratorially]

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

She got waved with the blue beam. We know by now that's a teleport.

...except that pile of dust would have to be explained away...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh I bet they'll say something stupid like "Her Zygon twin was frozen in that form so she just hung around and they shared their life" so they have a backup copy of her.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

misadventurous posted:

Flesh and Stone/Time of Angels ruled though

I'm on those right now, and yea, they are fantastic. I think one of the smartest moves during the Smith years was to make Rory an actual character we can root for, someone who we want to see with Amy. Often the Girls boyfriend is a complete tool and you're just waiting for them to break up so your ship can happen.

Also, Karen Gillain's facial acting is always top notch.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Cleretic posted:

The most insane Clara theory I can come up with: At some point during the events of The Witch's Familiar, Missy started impersonating Clara and got the real one killed.

My only actual proof for this is that Clara's acting about as nonchalantly about fairly important things as Missy would if she were pretending to be Clara, and that the cloister bell probably would be chiming off like crazy if the Master were traveling inside the TARDIS.

If true (I doubt it), it wouldn't be the first time: The Rani impersonated Mel, the Ganger with Amy, etc...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BSam posted:

I love the show so much, but every time this is brought up it just sounds like entitled whining.

Yea there were problems, but no one owes you an extra season.

I said earlier in the thread and I stand by it - if I had to make a choice between having seen an extra season of Matt Smith OR get Day of the Doctor, then I'd pick the latter every time. And I say that as a huge fan of Matt Smith and his time as the Doctor.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

BSam posted:

I love the show so much, but every time this is brought up it just sounds like entitled whining.

No one said anything about an "extra" season. The episodes broadcast in 2013 were the back half of the 2012 season. There was no 2013 season. There would have been a 2013 season if the show had not been mismanaged.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Nah a couple people definitely said stuff like that. Look back a page.

S7 was divided into two half-seasons, and consciously written to work like that. I don't know how that merits the grumbling it gets either, poo poo happens in TV production sometimes.

Are there any actual legit sources laying out the nature of this budget mismanagement? It's always smacked of rumors/hearsay/total BS. I've read that S6 was split to get around summer ratings drops, and 7 was a result of BBC restrictions and staff stepping down combined with the upcoming 50th, which makes more sense to me than series 5 chokeslamming the budget for three years.

misadventurous fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 23, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rhyno posted:

Tennant wanted to do some stage work.

Specifically, he did Hamlet with the Royal Shakespeare Company, which was probably #2 on his list of dream jobs.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Specifically, he did Hamlet with the Royal Shakespeare Company, which was probably #2 on his list of dream jobs.

When did he and Tate do that run of Much Ado About Nothing as Benedick and Beatrice?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Van Gogh's crush on Amy is adorable, but her's back is so bitter sweet because you know she's forgotten Rory. Though I completely forgot about them taking him to the future to see his work actually appreciated.

Though I gotta admit the Lodger is one of my favorite Smith episodes, but the whole thing makes me think of all the other stuff we just talked about not paying off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Though I completely forgot about them taking him to the future to see his work actually appreciated.

Probably my favorite part of an entirely wonderful episode. Smith really did have the best debut season.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I love that gif of the vase of flowers being replaced with that awful Tennant fan art and Amy's reactions.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

Probably my favorite part of an entirely wonderful episode. Smith really did have the best debut season.

I really wish I had met Tony Curran after that episode had aired because I would have loved to tell him directly how excellent he was in that episode. But I did tell him how much I liked him in Boardwalk Empire.

I think my favorite thing about The Lodger is the Doctor just doing normal stuff. Uh so you can drink in public in the UK?

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

When did he and Tate do that run of Much Ado About Nothing as Benedick and Beatrice?

I think it was in 2011.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
The bad guys being allowed to run away after killing and drinking like a baker's dozen vikings still bugs me, so I have a few questions for those much more well-versed in Who-history than I am:

1. What are some other examples of times that the bad guy (or guys) in a Who story were able to get away with their lives after killing someone? You don't need to list all the Master/Mistress episodes, or include a "He killed a guy, but it was all an accident/misunderstanding, the alien is really nice guys seriously." situations. I'm talking outright villainous actions, followed by the equivalent of beaming up to their ship and cruising away. Also, if their hijinx didn't lead to death (or a fate worse than death) then they don't qualify for this, but they may qualify for...

2. What is the least villainous/evil action taken by a character that led to the Doctor causing his/her/its death? Obviously this includes things like the Doctor fiddling around with something to make their weapons shoot at themselves or whatever, and it includes situations where the only way to save a lot of people was to compromise the villain to a permanent end. I don't think you can include accidental deaths caused by the Doctor though, because I'm sure there's been the equivalent of a super-happy Nun that's died because the Doctor flipped the wrong switch or didn't figure out what was going on fast enough.

I'm just curious what people's responses to those two questions would be.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

twistedmentat posted:

I think my favorite thing about The Lodger is the Doctor just doing normal stuff. Uh so you can drink in public in the UK?

In most places, some city centres have a prohibition on it and on the spot fines.

Going to the park and having a picnic and wine is a traditional middle class as gently caress summer past time.

Instant responses here rather than going through the list of serials to see what I can dredge up:

NowonSA posted:

1. What are some other examples of times that the bad guy (or guys) in a Who story were able to get away with their lives after killing someone? You don't need to list all the Master/Mistress episodes, or include a "He killed a guy, but it was all an accident/misunderstanding, the alien is really nice guys seriously." situations. I'm talking outright villainous actions, followed by the equivalent of beaming up to their ship and cruising away. Also, if their hijinx didn't lead to death (or a fate worse than death) then they don't qualify for this, but they may qualify for...

If you ignore that the Brig blew them all up immediately afterwards, in The Silurians the Silurians release a plague designed to wipe out mankind (which does actually kill a load of people) and are planning to irradiate the whole planet until the Doctor stops them. His plan, at that point, is to send them back into hibernation for a bit and sort it out later.

In Genesis of the Daleks, the Doctor very specifically does not destroy the daleks.

NowonSA posted:

2. What is the least villainous/evil action taken by a character that led to the Doctor causing his/her/its death? Obviously this includes things like the Doctor fiddling around with something to make their weapons shoot at themselves or whatever, and it includes situations where the only way to save a lot of people was to compromise the villain to a permanent end. I don't think you can include accidental deaths caused by the Doctor though, because I'm sure there's been the equivalent of a super-happy Nun that's died because the Doctor flipped the wrong switch or didn't figure out what was going on fast enough.

The two that spring to mind are the guards in Vengeance on Varos that the Doctor dumps into an acid bath, and opening the tomb in Tomb of the Cybermen. Lot of innocent people died in that latter one, totally predictably.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I said earlier in the thread and I stand by it - if I had to make a choice between having seen an extra season of Matt Smith OR get Day of the Doctor, then I'd pick the latter every time. And I say that as a huge fan of Matt Smith and his time as the Doctor.

The same, but the exact opposite

misadventurous posted:

BSam posted:

How far does this go, though? What if the showrunner made such enormous mistakes that the programme was cancelled? Would the fans be able to feel aggrieved then?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

misadventurous posted:

They're not bad. But gain nothing by having brought back the Angels instead of showing something new. And suffers for all the out right contradictions and elements that just don't sit well with Blink. The Angels as a concept were interesting, but can't stand up to being mined for further content because actually they don't really make sense.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Doctor basically always gives his enemies a chance to run if he can, although they often don't take it. I guess the enemies actually agreeing to it and not getting blown up afterwards is kindof a twist at this point.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Wait, you hated Matt Smith, but wanted another season with him? :v:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

How far does this go, though? What if the showrunner made such enormous mistakes that the programme was cancelled? Would the fans be able to feel aggrieved then?

Depends on how good the outcome of said mistake is. If Moffat made something that resembled or even surpassed series 5 in quality, and the show got cancelled because of it, then that'd be better than dredging through mediocrity with the occasional Love and Monster sprinkled in for another twenty years. He should take risks. Let the vikings wear helmets.

NowonSA posted:

The bad guys being allowed to run away after killing and drinking like a baker's dozen vikings still bugs me, so I have a few questions for those much more well-versed in Who-history than I am:

1. What are some other examples of times that the bad guy (or guys) in a Who story were able to get away with their lives after killing someone?

Partners in Crime, Forest of the Dead and Midnight come to mind. I always loved that the Doctor genuinely tries to save the bad guys. He wants to find a compromise. That's what makes him better than the average good guy.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

And More posted:

Depends on how good the outcome of said mistake is. If Moffat made something that resembled or even surpassed series 5 in quality, and the show got cancelled because of it, then that'd be better than dredging through mediocrity with the occasional Love and Monster sprinkled in for another twenty years. He should take risks. Let the vikings wear helmets.

Nice false dilemma

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Nice false dilemma

MrL_JaKiri, honestly. I don’t want you to change. It was no bother, really. I saw your post, I figured it out. Happy to play your game.

And More fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 23, 2015

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

qntm posted:

I loved that moment a great deal and I thought that whole episode was terribly underrated for what it was supposed to accomplish. If you come into that episode knowing as much about the Doctor as Amy Pond does, it sets up so much and explains everything so perfectly.

Plus there's

"Sorry. Checking all the water in this area. There's an escaped fish." [taps nose conspiratorially]

The Beast Below is probably, all things considered, and objective merit aside, my favourite episode of Series 5. It's Matt Smith at his most Second Doctor-y, and while I'm aware that it might come off as sentimental clap-trap (and probably also isn't true) the idea that getting old and losing a lot doesn't make you bitter, it makes you kind is a great message.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Cerv posted:

They're not bad. But gain nothing by having brought back the Angels instead of showing something new. And suffers for all the out right contradictions and elements that just don't sit well with Blink. The Angels as a concept were interesting, but can't stand up to being mined for further content because actually they don't really make sense.

I completely disagree. The Angels make perfect sense. They're ideas that came to life and started killing people. They're fiction itself as a monster. That's why their image can come to life and attack, or can get lodged in your mind and murder you from the inside out. It's why it's cool how in Blink, the viewer can freeze them by watching Doctor Who, and why it's freaky when they stop playing by that rule. They're pure eldritch horror getting in my Doctor Who and i love it.

I think F&S/ToA are good precisely because of the ways they elaborate on the Angels. Also, y'know, sparkling dialogue, clever effects, iconic scenes, that bit with Matt Smith's jacket.

misadventurous fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 23, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Cracks were kind of jammed into other stories in the season, but the reveal of the crack in the Angels 2-parter as the Doctor slowly becomes aware it is there is just fantastic. It also serves as a pretty cool callback to The Eleventh Hour when he realizes there is another room in the house.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

I'm on those right now, and yea, they are fantastic. I think one of the smartest moves during the Smith years was to make Rory an actual character we can root for, someone who we want to see with Amy. Often the Girls boyfriend is a complete tool and you're just waiting for them to break up so your ship can happen.

I was thinking recently, if they made a Laundry Files TV series, I'd love it if Arthur Darvill and Karen Gillan played Bob and Mo. :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh, Peter. :allears:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Watching him try out the Davros chair backstage was joyous if only for how much he was enjoying himself.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, Peter. :allears:

And then Nick Briggs asked Capaldi if he'd be willing to do a BF series based on the Doctor Who stories he made up when he was nine. Right? Right? :pray:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

After The War posted:

And then Nick Briggs asked Capaldi if he'd be willing to do a BF series based on the Doctor Who stories he made up when he was nine. Right? Right? :pray:

“Nick, do you seriously think I'd explain my fanfic ideas to you if there remained the slightest chance of you rewriting the outcome? I signed the contract thirty-five minutes ago.”

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

“Nick, do you seriously think I'd explain my fanfic ideas to you if there remained the slightest chance of you rewriting the outcome? I signed the contract thirty-five minutes ago.”
:golfclap:

"I'm not a motown musician, Nick."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ouch!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how there's not some obvious hook through the season so far. No Cracks, no Bad Wolf (seriously, that sounds like it was made from a random bag of scrabble letters), nothing. I mean there is the cloister bell but there hasn't been some kind of "Hey look people, look at that!" stuff with it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

I really wish I had met Tony Curran after that episode had aired because I would have loved to tell him directly how excellent he was in that episode. But I did tell him how much I liked him in Boardwalk Empire.

If you haven't seen him as Datak Tarr in Defiance you are doing yourself a huge disservice.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

twistedmentat posted:

I like how there's not some obvious hook through the season so far. No Cracks, no Bad Wolf (seriously, that sounds like it was made from a random bag of scrabble letters), nothing. I mean there is the cloister bell but there hasn't been some kind of "Hey look people, look at that!" stuff with it.

The Hybrid Prophecy stuck out for me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Astroman posted:

If you haven't seen him as Datak Tarr in Defiance you are doing yourself a huge disservice.

That's how i met him, he was filming here.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Hybrid Prophecy stuck out for me.

It's there, but it feels less Bad Wolf and more Time War. I guess we're only 2 stories in so, we'll see.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The two that spring to mind are the guards in Vengeance on Varos that the Doctor dumps into an acid bath, and opening the tomb in Tomb of the Cybermen. Lot of innocent people died in that latter one, totally predictably.

Hold up now. Six didn't dump that guy in, he tapped him on the shoulder and he fell in on his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My wife got to meet Tony Curran at a convention here in DC a few months back. Vincent and the Doctor is the kiddo's favorite episode of the revival (plus it got her into Van Gogh!) and when my wife told him this, he insisted on filming her a short video message thanking her for watching and admiring her taste in artists!

So yeah, he's cool.

• Locked thread