Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I loved The Man from Nowhere.

I also really liked New World.

It was pretty much the alternate storyline to Infernal Affairs. Worth a look IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rln9Hx_wPFw

A Company Man was also decent and in the same vein as The Man from Nowhere, but not quite as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Basebf555 posted:

Yea The Man From Nowhere is great, I love how restrained it is(until its not). You only get little glimpses of what this guy can do until the very end.

This is my favorite little bit from the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1aiA62DQr8

Its really not spoilery, just a little moment where you go "drat who is this guy?"

In a movie full of all kinds of badassery, this is a good one.

Also, this ad was at the bottom the page.

Edit: poo poo, I read that as wallet knife because I had Wallet + Knife on the brain.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 20, 2015

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Abugadu posted:

Has anyone seen Journey To the West? Steven Chow movie, a search shows me that critics love it and the 2-3 goons that have seen it hated it with a passion.

Do you like Steven Chow movies? It's his most out there movie I've seen. It has a metric ton of his trademark wackiness while also being surprisingly dark and bizarre in scenes. It takes a little while to actually get moving but I really really liked it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Technetium posted:

Do you like Steven Chow movies? It's his most out there movie I've seen. It has a metric ton of his trademark wackiness while also being surprisingly dark and bizarre in scenes. It takes a little while to actually get moving but I really really liked it.
I had a hard time because I was sitting there the whole time going "so where the hell is all the symbology I'm familiar with from the actual source material?" but it cleared all that up at the finale. Definitely enjoyed it, but it was more of a medieval shaolin soccer than I was expecting.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
wtf Five Deadly Venoms is only up in chinese? I want the wu-tang samples dammit

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I'm not Indian and don't know poo poo about Bollywood, but I saw the trailer for Happy New Year and would like to see it with subtitles if it's available online anywhere. Or really any other over-the-top Bollywood films with English subtitles.

Help me I have no idea what I'm doing.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

neonnoodle posted:

I'm not Indian and don't know poo poo about Bollywood, but I saw the trailer for Happy New Year and would like to see it with subtitles if it's available online anywhere. Or really any other over-the-top Bollywood films with English subtitles.

Help me I have no idea what I'm doing.

Start with Three Idiots and Monsoon Wedding

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 20, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

wtf Five Deadly Venoms is only up in chinese? I want the wu-tang samples dammit

Non dubbed is way better. If you want the bad Dutch accents you should own it on VHS!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
They both have their charm, frankly. Also, the Dragon Dynasty DVD has both audio tracks plus a sweet Bey Logan commentary.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

Abugadu posted:

Has anyone seen Journey To the West? Steven Chow movie, a search shows me that critics love it and the 2-3 goons that have seen it hated it with a passion.

It's worth a watch if you enjoy his other movies. It's not as good as Kung Fu Hustle, but then most movies aren't.

Nate405 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 21, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Nate405 posted:

It's worth a watch if you enjoy his other movies. It's not as good as Kung Fu Hustle, but then most movies aren't.
Kung Fu Hustle is way more even-keeled imho. JttW has a kind of flat middle section.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Spite posted:

The first time I saw Hot Fuzz I was high as balls and I spent the last half hour wondering if I was hallucinating another movie.
The first time I saw Hot Fuzz, I saw a cam version at a party at my cousin's house and there were no subtitles so I couldn't understand the majority of the dialogue.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I just Amazon Prime has Last Hurrah for Chivalry up for streaming. Late 70s John Wu sword play at its best.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Just caught Circle on Netflix and I gotta say I was pretty entertained. It's the definition of low budget, a lot of the acting is just barely approaching passable, and it covers a lot of the same ground as other indies The Killing Room, Would You Rather and Cheap Thrills, but it's pretty quick at just under 90 minutes and manages to achieve something resembling a new idea with its thought experiment premise.

I also appreciated that it stuck to its guns and showed the consequences of our Titanic Survivor Mentality brought to its logical extreme, portraying an entire planet populated only by pregnant women, children and meek, calculating beta males.

Also it's got Rita from Dexter in it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWHUjuJ8zxE

Full Jessica Jones trailer.
Looks dope.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

speshl guy posted:

Just caught Circle on Netflix and I gotta say I was pretty entertained. It's the definition of low budget, a lot of the acting is just barely approaching passable, and it covers a lot of the same ground as other indies The Killing Room, Would You Rather and Cheap Thrills, but it's pretty quick at just under 90 minutes and manages to achieve something resembling a new idea with its thought experiment premise.

I also appreciated that it stuck to its guns and showed the consequences of our Titanic Survivor Mentality brought to its logical extreme, portraying an entire planet populated only by pregnant women, children and meek, calculating beta males.

Also it's got Rita from Dexter in it.

Yeah, it was definitely low budget, and not perfect, but worth a watch. Also, as far as the acting goes I noticed it getting better through the film as the bad actors playing the less significant characters got zapped :v: .

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Circle opens with a Taggart Productions logo that made me view the whole thing through the lens of the knowledge that someone involved in its making was an earnest fan of Randian philosophy. I think the film is best viewed this way, because it makes a lot more sense.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
Amazon released the 2nd episode of The Man in High Castle if anyone's interested.

Season 1 comes out on November 20th.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Thank you to whomever recommended both New World and The Man From Nowhere. I felt like I watched the second coming of The Godfather Part II and Leon: The Professional, respectively, but still managed to walk away having experienced something entirely new and refreshing.

That elevator fight scene in New World was perfectly shot and really put into perspective the tendency in American films to cut an action scene into 300 different shots. It was absolutely a breath of fresh air. I definitely cried more than once during The Man From Nowhere and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The Man in the High Castle, ep 2: I can't wait to see how many horrible things happen to Frank in the full series.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Amazon released the 2nd episode of The Man in High Castle if anyone's interested.

But is it any good? Never seen either episode.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

centaurtainment posted:

But is it any good? Never seen either episode.

It's fantastic. Doubly so if you're a PKD fan.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
It Follows is on Netflix canada.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

centaurtainment posted:

It would be if Shawn of the Dead wasn't a perfect movie.

Which it is. There's nothing half as brilliant in Hot Fuzz as the mirrored long takes of Shawn walking from his house to the convenience store and back.

I'd agree except that the first half of Hot Fuzz is basically mirrored in the second half. Also, Pegg smashing the peace lily when he finally comes around.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

This movie is worth it for just for the soundtrack, it's by the same guy who did the soundtrack for the game Fez and it's cool Carpenter-style fat synths with a little Drive mixed in for good measure.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Sleeveless posted:

This movie is worth it for just for the soundtrack, it's by the same guy who did the soundtrack for the game Fez and it's cool Carpenter-style fat synths with a little Drive mixed in for good measure.

The entire movie has a Carpenter feel. I quite enjoyed it in theaters.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It Follows is great. Looks and sounds like a million bucks, and leaves the viewer with a lot to think about once the movie is done.

It's not for everybody, but it's a pretty great flick if you like your horror equal parts smart and scary.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Just watched Dark Was the Night over at a friends on Netflix. Pretty decently creepy monster movie with some good acting.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Zesty Mordant posted:

I'd agree except that the first half of Hot Fuzz is basically mirrored in the second half. Also, Pegg smashing the peace lily when he finally comes around.

More explained through flashbacks than mirrored.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Just watched Dark Was the Night over at a friends on Netflix. Pretty decently creepy monster movie with some good acting.
Foreshadowing lead to ??? Followed by one giant fart ending.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Last five seconds did suck.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Last five seconds did suck.

I liked the mood and setting, but the foreshadowing of guesswork and research of way cooler possible reasons for what is happening make " oh its just this" reveal stink. That and the CG did the movie no favors.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

In desperate need of a Halloween fix, I watched The House at the End of Time last night since it's been on My List seemingly forever, and I'm glad I did. It certainly rewards a viewer who plays attention, not only because there are subtitles, but also because the plot !!!BIG SPOILER!!!loops very similarly to a movie like Triangle or Primer. Once you figure out what's going on, the horror aspect loses some steam, but nonetheless it's a good story and worth your time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Did anyone watch Circle? I'm a sucker for those thought experiment type deals.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I saw circle. It was only all right. There were some bad actors in it but overall the acting was solid.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I watched Kung Fury and holy poo poo that movie is awesome! I wish it was full length.

I'm also about 1/2 through Creep and its one of the weirdest movies ever.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

mds2 posted:

I watched Kung Fury and holy poo poo that movie is awesome! I wish it was full length.

I'm also about 1/2 through Creep and its one of the weirdest movies ever.

Felt like Creep was trying too hard. Mark Duplass had a hard time not playing himself and the camera guy was pretty bad all around and made dumb decisions the whole movie.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

speshl guy posted:

Felt like Creep was trying too hard. Mark Duplass had a hard time not playing himself and the camera guy was pretty bad all around and made dumb decisions the whole movie.

No doubt about both of those. I just keep saying to myself "where the eff is this going??" And it's enough to keep me hanging on. Had to turn it off because the wife fell asleep but still wants to finish it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

mds2 posted:

please do not troll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

mds2 posted:

Watch Turbo Kid it'll blow your mind.....