Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

I'm sick of my head doing things.

coming up with character names is too much work :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Kinger posted:

It is the hardest part of this game and I am being 100% serious.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Heavy Lobster posted:

New Maguuma maps need some tweaking to make them not ridiculously grindy, but since there's more content on the way (raids, new legendaries, etc) I think it's safe to say that they'll be tweaking stuff for a while to come. [...]

Coolness Averted posted:

I think they were doing the typical mmo thing of overtuning at launch to avoid the zerg rush of folks rampaging through and having all the new mastery points in a weekend.
I expect them to reduce the HP on stuff otherwise the expansion zones are gonna be like the base game was 4 months after launch, a barren desert of unbeatable content scaled around massive groups, not the only 1 or 2 people in them.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

there definitely could be some tuning done in the near future, which i feel like might happen if it's brought up enough. [...]

I like that you're optimistic, but this is Arena.net, masters of "put in overtuned grindy bullshit, never change it unless it's by accident". The only thing they ever tuned in a timely manner was making things more annoying to fight after patches made stuff "too easy", eg. world bosses after the condi changes.

Harrow posted:

It really feels like they want you to actively group up for HoT stuff. Relying on randoms isn't all that feasible when everything seems to work best with a group and the zones are large enough that people tend to be really spread out.

That has never backfired ever in any MMO.

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 24, 2015

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

orcane posted:

I like that you're optimistic, but this is Arena.net, masters of "put in overtuned grindy bullshit, never change it unless it's by accident". The only thing they ever tuned in a timely manner was making things more annoying to fight after patches made stuff "too easy", eg. world bosses after the condi changes.

All I know is that people are talking about HoT in the same way they talked about Orr at launch, and Orr is perfectly playable now, so hey! v:shobon:v

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I'd expect a change sooner rather than later, this is more heat than they got for the commander tag bullshit.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Megaservers basically "fixed" Orr so you wouldn't be trying to finish the event chains with 3 people on each server. Except you're still entering instances of it that are 80% contested at certain times of day, which is pretty funny if you just want to buy karma armor.

Other than that, they slightly nerfed it once, but at a later date they also did something that buffed all krait. I mean it's all YMMV territory anyway. Some people loved even release Orr. I still think present Orr is awful for everything but map completion in Malkor's Leap and Cursed Shore because of the lack of hearts.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Visidan posted:

ANET got this hero point stuff the wrong way round. People want to play the new specs in the new content.

Right now you play the old specs, finish everything then you get the new spec... with nothing for it to do.
Yeah I've been focusing on trying to get hero points to use my elite and I was pretty incensed when I managed to glider my way to a point that I guess is only supposed to be accessable through a burrow (since it's really low and the only way out is a burrow) and it didn't let me use it at all :geno:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Do you get anything at all from feeding Drooburt's Ghost pieces of candy corn?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah I was pretty excited about jumping back into the game after taking a long break, and it feels like Anet abandoned their purported "fun first" mentality for the expansion content. Every fight feels like a slog, events take fuckin' forever, and all that scrapper stuff I was excited to try is gated behind a stupid wall of bullshit.

Literally none of that is fun. Which is a shame, because exploring the new areas, and stuff like the glider, is great. It's mind-boggling why they've thrown all of these dumb-assed walls into a game that has no real need to force subscribers to play long-term.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
But they need you to be playing in order to buy black lion keys.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

orcane posted:

But they need you to be playing in order to buy black lion keys.

Which is weird, because it turns out that when I decide that Assassin's Creed is somehow the more fun game released this week, I'm also not buying keys then.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Do you get anything at all from feeding Drooburt's Ghost pieces of candy corn?

A karma consumable for 5k karma if you feed him 1k candy corn, and the sense of satisfaction that you made his poor quaggan soul a little more at ease in the afterlife.

The new WvW map is really cool looking. The objectives are harder to take for a solo guy as camps will be upgraded a lot more often but still doable.

Verdant Brink is slowly growing on me.

Being a mentor makes an apple appear above your head.

Anet really pulled an Anet with the amount of collectible things that you can't deposit but need for crafting.

The chak focus skin is incredible. I wish some class had got focus in the expansion. There are a lot of really good focus skins.

There are a ton of new collections and they range from fun to holy gently caress are you kidding me.

For the amount of grinding the elite specs take you'd think they would at least be account wide unlocks.

Uh that's all I got for now.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

and so it begins because it's better than grinding the slog that is the xpac mobs.

HP = Challenge right guys?

E: I mean what I'm saying is I'd love to play with *any* of the new elite specs but I didn't spend the requisite amount of time poopsocking to be allowed to play them pre-expansion.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 24, 2015

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Kinger posted:

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

It is the hardest part of this game and I am being 100% serious.

channel the asurabutt and good names will come to you

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Digital_Jesus posted:

and so it begins because it's better than grinding the slog that is the xpac mobs.

HP = Challenge right guys?

I'm finding the big problem is their insane burst potential. I'm running a goddamn Knight set on a Dragonhunter and I shudder to think how much worse it's going to be when I take one of my truly fragile classes into the Xpac zones. I do like it generally more than a lot of the vanilla mobs where 90% of them stop presenting a challenge around level 60 unless you're solo-ing them 10v1 or more, but it's getting old fast.

Also I'm loving this initial burst in xpac mat prices. I'm making gold loving quick.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Make Tyria more diverse...

http://www.behindthename.com/random/random.php?number=2&gender=both&surname=&all=no&usage_afr=1

kater
Nov 16, 2010

ExHumus posted:

Is there something I can do in PvE to get PvP rank?

What part of PvP rank is actually content, and also why on earth would you be passive aggressive about grinding poo poo. It's not like tons of people just didn't instantly bypass a PvE grind on their new fancy Revenant by using poo poo they got from PvP or anything.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
I can see why people are having problems enjoying the new zones without having their full elite spec unlocked but I for one enjoying the feeling of slowly growing in power and getting new skills to play with.

It helps that the Mesmer shield is really really good in the new zones as having a huge block duration and stun / reflect wall is pretty handy.

(I can't figure out how to love daredevil staff though. So sad...)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SlothBear posted:

A karma consumable for 5k karma if you feed him 1k candy corn, and the sense of satisfaction that you made his poor quaggan soul a little more at ease in the afterlife.

I guess it's better than throwing them away :(

Say, is there a decent way to level a Revenant for those of us without stockpiles of Tomes? I boosted to 30, but I somehow always get stuck around 50. I have three characters now between 50-55 and while I really like the Revenant I'm so tired of the level 50 zones. I got a couple of levels by doing the labyrinth, but after that initial zerg I haven't been able to find any groups, and I have a bunch of different XP boosters that I'd rather not waste on running between heart quests aimlessly. I haven't been to any dungeons since I played with friends during launch and the LFG tool confuses me :saddowns:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

In the end I can say that the HoT zones feel exactly like what the "GW2 is too casual/no endgame content" crowd was asking for, for better and for worse.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

orcane posted:

oh, believe me, i'm not exactly expecting a miracle, but at the least they've shown that they're willing to listen to feedback if the beta weekends are any clue. and there's also this:

Visidan posted:

I'd expect a change sooner rather than later, this is more heat than they got for the commander tag bullshit.

if they wanna keep the playerbase happy they're probably gonna need to reduce the values on a few things. i'm enjoying the expansion more or less so far, but it definitely needs to be less...aggravating.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

reminder that you can unfuck your elite spec pvp thing:

quote:

Fixed a bug that prevented Adept and Master Elite Specialization achievements from completing in the Heart of the Mists. For characters who had their elite spec achievements broken, a “Specialization Achievement Repair” NPC has been added to the heart of the mists you can speak to who will repair the achievement.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I would love for someone to make a 3D version of the zone maps for those of us cursed with poor spatial visualization skills, because the in-game map is practically unreadable as a navigation tool. "Oh, that mission marker just to the south of you? It's actually in a cave and that blurry brown streak on the map between you and the marker is a thousand-foot wall; you need to go half a zone west, take a narrow flight of stairs, and glide into a pit"

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I'm being told the story is actually good, confirm deny.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I would love for someone to make a 3D version of the zone maps for those of us cursed with poor spatial visualization skills, because the in-game map is practically unreadable as a navigation tool. "Oh, that mission marker just to the south of you? It's actually in a cave and that blurry brown streak on the map between you and the marker is a thousand-foot wall; you need to go half a zone west, take a narrow flight of stairs, and glide into a pit"

agreed. Someone needs to make a mod that puts elevation lines on the in-game maps

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I would love for someone to make a 3D version of the zone maps for those of us cursed with poor spatial visualization skills,

This is something that I came across a few months ago so I don't know how accurate it is. It's also not textured so good luck with that. Maybe you can cross your eyes and look at this and the mini map. :downs:

http://tyria3d.com/version_0.1.html

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Visidan posted:

I'm being told the story is actually good, confirm deny.

It fixes Braham's character somewhat, puts more Canach in (which is always welcome), Rytlock Animestone is almost always in your party, and stuff happens.

So, yeah, it's getting better. Not great, but better.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

ApeHawk posted:

It fixes Braham's character somewhat, puts more Canach in (which is always welcome), Rytlock Animestone is almost always in your party, and stuff happens.

Also your character is actually calling the shots instead of tagging along with the others.

Edit: Also the cutscenes are a good deal better and the open world voice overs are nice.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 24, 2015

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

ApeHawk posted:

It's sad that Eir had to die so Braham could stop being a whiny bitch. In theory. I've never had a barbarian character so I have never had any idea who she is.

Kassad posted:

Also your character is actually calling the shots instead of tagging along with the others.
Being second in command din't bother me. Being second in command to a guy with less personality and charisma than an inanimate object did.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Xae posted:

Being second in command din't bother me. Being second in command to a guy with less personality and charisma than an inanimate object did.

I was thinking about Braham and co, not really about Trahearne. You're supposed to be the leader of that group but in practice your character is just following their suggestions. It really comes down to the presentation but I think it's a nice change.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
Doesn't function gyro.

Also my one complaint with scaling is how bad the hero point challenge monsters are if you happen across them alone. I wouldn't feel as down on Scrapper taking a while to unlock if I could actually make progress on unlocking it.

Like someone above said, everyone is spread really thin over the big zone, it makes this stuff feel like a wall.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ItBurns posted:

This is something that I came across a few months ago so I don't know how accurate it is. It's also not textured so good luck with that. Maybe you can cross your eyes and look at this and the mini map. :downs:

http://tyria3d.com/version_0.1.html

This would be really cool if there were map information on it! I'll keep tabs on it.

And yeah I'm hoping there will be more players on the weekend to help get through events.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

In the end I can say that the HoT zones feel exactly like what the "GW2 is too casual/no endgame content" crowd was asking for, for better and for worse.

Depends on who you're using as a source for that concept though. I'm one of the people that felt GW2 had very little end-game content, but the casuality of it was not the downside. Outside of skins or pvp there was very little to set as an achievement once you had done the world pre-xpac, unless something is wrong with you and you needed to complete every cheevo on the list or something. Part of that feeling was that dungeons were, and still are, a completely uninteresting slog. Replacing that with a multi-week/month grind depending on your play time is not the solution to that. Its neither interesting, fun, or worth $50.

Raids look good. Story content would look good if it wasn't mastery gated, new elite specs would be great if people could actually play them without poopsocking for 2 weeks. All said and done this will probably push me over into playing PvP more now since I have zero desire to grind poo poo out on the PvE side. Mobs suck balls with too much HP and a shitload of burst damage, healing skills can barely keep up with the damage you take even in full knight/soldier gear, and Elite specs take way, way, way too many points to unlock.

People wanted something new to do with the expansion, which they were given, but ANet did a complete 180 on "Casual" straight to "Eat poo poo and grind, nerds". There's a middle ground that could have been reached that would have left a better taste in peoples mouths.

I'm all for "People investing time get some nifty rewards for it", which is what legendary/ascended style things are for, but certainly not at the expense of causing people to have an extremely long wait to try out the new shiny content.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What are the barriers to entry for raids? Mastery levels? We won't need to have agony infusion or whatever, will we

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I believe one of the devs said no agony requirement for raiding. So you shouldn't need to filleth thine sock on fractals.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

occluded posted:

I can see why people are having problems enjoying the new zones without having their full elite spec unlocked but I for one enjoying the feeling of slowly growing in power and getting new skills to play with.

It helps that the Mesmer shield is really really good in the new zones as having a huge block duration and stun / reflect wall is pretty handy.

(I can't figure out how to love daredevil staff though. So sad...)

I like the feeling of slowly growing in power and getting new skills, too, but I really thought that's what Masteries were for. It'd be one thing if I could reasonably solo most of these hero point challenges or access them fairly early on, but gating so many of them behind champions and Masteries sort of takes one grind and makes it a double-grind.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I saw that the expansion dropped and thought about coming back to try it out after like 2 years of not playing, but is there really no way to buy it without rebuying the core game in a bundle? :psyduck:

I have a very hard time believing any expansion is worth $50, and reading the last couple pages makes it sound like it's...kind of poo poo. Is there any talk of creating some way to purchase the standalone expansion? I had enough fun with the base game that I'd drop $25 on an expansion that added fun content, but I don't think I could bring myself to pay double that price for the privilege of having a second copy of a game I already bought.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not really feeling these vertical maps. Exploration is fun and all, but when you need to get to a certain point fast, it gets tedious. I have updraft gliding and mushroom jumps unlocked, but I still can't make it to the highest points of the canopy - or maybe I just can't find the right updrafts. Getting those hero points seems needlessly tedious compared to core skill points, and it's already becoming clear I won't bother with my alts. They're demoted to crafting more than ever now.

Anyone found where the bladed coat can be bought yet? It's so hilariously stupid I need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I saw that the expansion dropped and thought about coming back to try it out after like 2 years of not playing, but is there really no way to buy it without rebuying the core game in a bundle? :psyduck:

I have a very hard time believing any expansion is worth $50, and reading the last couple pages makes it sound like it's...kind of poo poo. Is there any talk of creating some way to purchase the standalone expansion? I had enough fun with the base game that I'd drop $25 on an expansion that added fun content, but I don't think I could bring myself to pay double that price for the privilege of having a second copy of a game I already bought.

nope

also the core game is F2P now anyways

• Locked thread