Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
I saw three of these in the past week: Dumbfucks with their driver side mirrors unadjusted so they reflected the sun directly at me. At 2 in the afternoon.
I've always been aware of other driver's mirrors from my biking days and it chafes my rear end to see blue sky or the roof of their cab when I should see the driver's face in the outside mirrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

mentholmoose posted:

The people I share a road with have decided over the past few days to sit at green lights. One guy, after hearing me and the guy behind me lay on the horn for a good 20 seconds, only starts moving once the light was yellow, and I was stuck for a whole 'nother cycle. Unfortunately I couldn't pass since it's a busy two lane road intersecting another busy two lane road. How the gently caress are people that oblivious?

Have a feeling he did it on purpose to piss you off, even though he was in the wrong. I've seen that happen here too, someone dicking on their phone at a green, I give a quick beep to wake their rear end up, and they give ME the finger before tearing off like a jackass.

I had a guy on a crotch rocket pull that poo poo in a left turn lane a couple weeks ago - there was a car ahead of him, and I was behind him with a good car-length of cushion distance. Light goes green, car ahead goes, biker isn't paying attention so I beep. His response was to creep into the intersection for the left turn at 5mph, waited for the yellow then jammed the gas, flipped me off and sped up the road, easily 10-15 over the limit and swerving between cars. I was pretty pissed until I rolled past him a couple blocks later, pulled over by an unmarked police cruiser.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Got the tiniest amount of rain in Colorado the last few days and I've dealt with countless fuckheads with their brights on. Like holy poo poo, it's just rain, you don't need to sear my retinas.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

dee eight posted:

I saw three of these in the past week: Dumbfucks with their driver side mirrors unadjusted so they reflected the sun directly at me. At 2 in the afternoon.
I've always been aware of other driver's mirrors from my biking days and it chafes my rear end to see blue sky or the roof of their cab when I should see the driver's face in the outside mirrors.

I move my mirrors way out and up at night when I'm getting blinded by some bro truck's terrible HIDs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

I move my mirrors way out and up at night when I'm getting blinded by some bro truck's terrible HIDs.

I've always wanted to use my mirrors to aim their headlights into their face when this happens, but geometry in my head is hard.

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool
Coming back to my office after lunch today I came across a real winner. I was stopped on the on ramp to the interstate due to construction as little ways down the road. This girl pulls up behind me and decided she was having none of that malarkey, she decided to pull a u-turn and go back down the on ramp against the flow of traffic to get back on the road we just turned off of. Sometimes I just have to wonder about people's privileges.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's people like that who make me think that perhaps a surveillance society wouldn't be all that bad.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I think most Americans cognitively lump pay-at-the-pump with prepay because we are touching the magic money card before pumping. True pre-pay requires waddling all the way inside. Technically, swiping the card before pumping charges $1 to make sure the card works, then replaces that $1 charge with the final full charge after pumping. For some folks, it lingers as a $1 charge on their bank website for a week.

That's not quite how credit card processing works. When you scan a card for an amount, any amount, the card runs though clearing house with an AUTH command, and a dollar amount. It's basically asking, "is this car authorized for this dollar amount?" and will get a yes/no answer. Typically a gas station pay-at-pump will AUTH for something between 50-100 dollars. It does this because it doesn't know how much fuel will be bought yet, so the programming just assumes a dollar amount greater than what your typical fuel purchase is. This causes problems for people with large tanks, and this problem was exacerbated by fuel prices when they reached $4 a gallon. At that point people driving minivans had to AUTH twice just to fill their tanks. All AUTHs automatically fall off the account after a set period of time. They do NOT affect account balance permanently. However the clearing houses pay attention to the AUTHs out there and won't allow you to have AUTHs totaling more than your credit amount. Settlement is the process were the actual charges are laid to the account. Settlement happens hours later, often at night. If you could disrupt the process between settlement and AUTH , it is possible to get things for free. You'd have to attack whatever device was going to complete the settlement, which is likely a server sitting in a data center somewhere where you'll never find it, but it's a fun thought project.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

^^^^ Actually, it's multiple servers in widely separated data centers with redundant'hot' disaster recovery data centers in yet another location. So, uh.. good luck with that. :)

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
In like 2005 an e-friend posted on his blog about a bug in a certain pay at the pump system. He would auth the card, pump, return the nozel and the machine would ask "do you want a receipt?". At that point the only legal inputs where supposed to be the Yes or No buttons, but he would hit Cancel and didn't get charged. He said he tested it a few times and didn't get charged.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

FogHelmut posted:

Same, but I readjust when the dickhead behind me is gone. I'm thinking some people just don't know HOW to adjust mirrors.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I think most Americans cognitively lump pay-at-the-pump with prepay because we are touching the magic money card before pumping. True pre-pay requires waddling all the way inside. Technically, swiping the card before pumping charges $1 to make sure the card works, then replaces that $1 charge with the final full charge after pumping. For some folks, it lingers as a $1 charge on their bank website for a week.

There's one station here whose payment processor does this poo poo here. Hit you for 125 euro and then take a week to refund the difference.
Ofcourse with a car like my previous one, 125 isn't enough to get a full tank.
I don't use their pay at the pump anymore. Screw those 2ct a litre, I'll fill up at the shell down the road. They do the normal real-time pending transaction thing. So no loving about with waiting for the payment to be processed. Takes less than a minute to show up on an online statement.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Two things
-almost got hit by a work van going down the wrong way on a one way street. flipped him off.
-it was my turn at a four way stop, and as I was going through the intersection, a bicyclist blew through his stop sign to make a left right in front of me

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So, I have confirmed that you do need to pre-pay for gas both in Alberta and BC. BC was a special pain in the rear end, because we were driving a diesel SUV and pay at the pump was not working at the diesel pump, so we actually had to go inside to pre-pay with a credit card. Why not just hold any gas thefts against the registered owner of the plates at registration time, as they do with photo radar and parking tickets?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Driveoffs are generally done with stolen plates.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I haven't seen a station that would let you pump before paying since 9-11 and the subsequent gas prices. The closest thing I have seen is the QT pump start card that you swipe before pumping so they have all your information to report to the police when you drive off..

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

...and the hooooooome of theeeee freeeeeeeeee!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Walking home I was crossing a side street and a Rover decided he had to make his left from the main road that instant, pedestrians be damned. Since I was about halfway across he had to cut his turn much sharper, right into oncoming traffic from the sidestreet, almost hitting me. I flipped him off and of course he did the same, continuing to hold his hand out the window all the way down to the next intersection, sticking his head out and glaring back at me to make sure I saw it.

People aren't just terrible and dangerous, they're proud of it. I expect people were doing this poo poo back when they were driving chariots.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

88h88 posted:

...and the hooooooome of theeeee freeeeeeeeee!

:patriot:

wait...

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Dick Trauma posted:

Walking home I was crossing a side street and a Rover decided he had to make his left from the main road that instant, pedestrians be damned. Since I was about halfway across he had to cut his turn much sharper, right into oncoming traffic from the sidestreet, almost hitting me. I flipped him off and of course he did the same, continuing to hold his hand out the window all the way down to the next intersection, sticking his head out and glaring back at me to make sure I saw it.

People aren't just terrible and dangerous, they're proud of it. I expect people were doing this poo poo back when they were driving chariots.

Even caeser was wary of British chariots.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Because they drove them on the wrong side of the woad?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Land of the raves, or something. Kids today

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

stevobob posted:

Land of the raves, or something. Kids today

Oontz oontz oontz oontz....

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Goober Peas posted:

Oontz oontz oontz oontz....

Oh say can you seeee
By the green glowstick liiigghhhtt

:slick:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

PT6A posted:

So, I have confirmed that you do need to pre-pay for gas both in Alberta and BC.

What are you talking about? The overwhelming majority of gas stations in Alberta don't require pre-pay.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrChips posted:

What are you talking about? The overwhelming majority of gas stations in Alberta don't require pre-pay.

That's what I thought, but I think it changed recently, because I had to pay at the pump or pre-pay just the other day at a Petro-Canada station that had previously not required it. It's in a good neighbourhood too, so I can't imagine there were that many gas thefts.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Today, I mainly encountered
- People who lack the power/balls to overtake a Series Land Rover on a nice, wide A-road.
- People who lack the power/balls to drive at a pace that doesn't hold up a Series Land Rover.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

- People who lack the power/balls to overtake a Series Land Rover on a nice, wide A-road.
- People who lack the power/balls to drive at a pace that doesn't hold up a Series Land Rover.

Were they on foot?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Protocol7 posted:

Got the tiniest amount of rain in Colorado the last few days and I've dealt with countless fuckheads with their brights on. Like holy poo poo, it's just rain, you don't need to sear my retinas.

It was mostly people without lights that were drawing my ire this week.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

StormDrain posted:

It was mostly people without lights that were drawing my ire this week.

Always a silver car too.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

those fuckers are everywhere :(

In a 101 the latter group often pull over for you or speed up once you get close to them. A 101 in your rear view mirror clearly gives many people the fear :)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Sudo Echo posted:

Always a silver car too.

or black at 5am in the morning.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

InitialDave posted:

I can usually put up with dawdlers, at least for a short while. The thing that seems to be increasingly common around my way are people dawdling on the slip roads. Being stuck behind some idiot crawling down the slip road at 40mph onto a busy 70-80mph motorway is one of the few things that genuinely scares me out on the road.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Yesterday I was driving around 9am and heard honking. On a two lane street an old man in a Lexus SUV was honking a Prius that looked like it might have been going a little slow. But then he also honked him when they were at a red light. Old man makes several dangerous attempt to change lanes then gets in behind me. I'm definitely quick on the draw at a green but he still honked me the moment it changed. Gets out from behind me and immediately starts honking someone ahead of him who's going about 10 over the speed limit, tries to make his own right turn lane as he approaches the next intersection, almost putting two wheels up on the sidewalk.

He managed to squeeze past so he could fail to stop for the red, rip around the corner and then mindlessly start honking someone who had pulled out of the gas station well ahead of him. I could still hear him honking as I went through the intersection and on my way.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I admire the consistency.
Too many times I'm never sure who is the crazy, or, "what did I do?"

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yesterday I was behind an old beater car from South Dakota doing 25 in a 35 on a relatively windy Pitsburgh back road, I guess it's understandable if you're used to open flat plains. Up ahead the road opened up to two lanes in our direction, so I put on my turn signal early and sat in the left side of the lane to make sure he could see my signal, and when the lanes split I started to pass him.

As soon as I got my front wheel about even with his back tire, maybe a second after I changed lanes, he jerked his wheel to the left without looking or signalling, I tapped my horn while braking, he saw me, stomped his brake while still half his car on both sides of the dotted line, I ducked around him to the left to finish my pass since he's come to a near stop, glance at him and he lays on his horn and flips me off, jerks back into the right lane, then back into the left lane behind me where I'm already sitting at 40mph and tailgates me while swerving all over the lane obviously screaming at me and laying on the horn/flashing his high beams at me. Then as the road started to merge back into a single lane in each direction he tried to pass me, it looked like his car failed to hit the 45ish he'd need to get around me, and he went back to weaving around in the lane behind me until his turn a half mile later.

Why do I run into so many nutters?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Similar thing happened to me last night. I'm at a stop light in the left lane because about 100 yards ahead the road splits into two different roads. Left lane goes on the left road and right two lanes take the right road. Since I wanted to take the left road at the Y, naturally I was in the left lane along with some other cars behind me. Guy in what I guess was a Prius was not about to wait in line. He's in the middle lane and the light turns green and for some reason he just can't pass me. Guess it's because I have 300 ft/lbs of torque more than he does. So he cuts in behind me and turns his high beams on which doesn't bother me one bit as all my mirrors auto-dim. He then tried to pass me by crossing the double yellow line.

He failed that time, too.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Maybe he just had no spatial awareness (really...goddamn...common) and thought you were in HIS lane.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Nah. He even had his indicator on. He knew which lane he should've been in but wanted to zoom to the front. Not an easy task for a Prius to achieve against an M3.

This sounds like I was racing him. I was accelerating normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

PenisMonkey posted:

Nah. He even had his indicator on. He knew which lane he should've been in but wanted to zoom to the front. Not an easy task for a Prius to achieve against an M3.

This sounds like I was racing him. I was accelerating normally.

This happens every day on a motorcycle. I, like everyone else on the road, use only about 20% throttle to accelerate away from lights. This means I can get from 0-45 in about 4.3 seconds. This is REALLY REALLY FAST to someone in any non-supercar, whose 0-45 times at 20% throttle are in the one minute range. Every now and again, some car will use perhaps 60% throttle and manage to get up to the speed limit before the next stoplight, but it's rare.

It may look like I'm drag racing away from every light, but I'm really not. I need 7k RPM to get the stupid thing to move; it sounds like I'm revving the piss out of it and dropping the clutch, but I'm really, REALLY not.