Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Both have descriptions of "enhanced bass". (source: amazon.com)

this guy at head-fi did an A/B and said there was some slight difference: http://www.head-fi.org/t/643955/review-shure-se215-vs-se215-spe-blue

This is incredibly helpful. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I know everyone automatically thinks Bose are ear-rapists, but does anyone have any experience with Bose IEMs?

My main concerns are: a decent iPhone remote, decent bass, decent sound quality in general, and a warranty I can actually use.

For reference I like the sound from Bose QC15s. I use those on flights, etc. I did get them as a gift though.

Bose IEMs have been "cheap" on Amazon lately, $80-90. I wouldn't even think about them at $130, but $90 they are sorta temping. I break IEMs too often, I don't even treat them badly, I just use them many many hours a day. There is a Bose store by my office and they do warranty swaps so there is that. Having a shop near me doesn't matter if I'll hate the headphones or if they're no better than $30 UEs.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is incredibly helpful. Thank you.

Happy to help, cycle bro. Ride safe!

ddogflex posted:

I know everyone automatically thinks Bose are ear-rapists, but does anyone have any experience with Bose IEMs?

My main concerns are: a decent iPhone remote, decent bass, decent sound quality in general, and a warranty I can actually use.

For reference I like the sound from Bose QC15s. I use those on flights, etc. I did get them as a gift though.

Bose IEMs have been "cheap" on Amazon lately, $80-90. I wouldn't even think about them at $130, but $90 they are sorta temping. I break IEMs too often, I don't even treat them badly, I just use them many many hours a day. There is a Bose store by my office and they do warranty swaps so there is that. Having a shop near me doesn't matter if I'll hate the headphones or if they're no better than $30 UEs.

I used the Bose (M)IE2 for a while, they were my first IEMs and I used them mostly under my helmet. They sounded pretty good to me (then) but after having Shures, I probably wouldn't think twice about skipping over the Bose. I haven't personally used any, but I hear great things about Etymotic IEMs in the same price range. Also, the Shure SE215s seem pretty much indestructible. Using them on the bike, they get snagged a lot, and the cable whips around often from the wind, but the inline remote option is 130bux. The Etys are going to be much flatter in terms of frequency response across the board, while the Shures have rolled off highs with some pretty forward bass.

Tactical Lesbian fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 20, 2015

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I'm looking for a recommendation, and I have a very limited knowledge of everything headphone related other than information in the OP. I'm looking for a pair of headphones to use around my apartment. I work odd hours and don't want to blast my system in the middle of the night, but the lousy IEMs I use for my commute are uncomfortable as for any long period of listening. I guess I'm looking for something along the lines of "starter" headphones; I'm not looking to shell out extra for audiophile level quality I probably won't even notice.

Budget - <$200
Source - Laptop, occasionally cellphone
Isolation Requirements - No
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear, open probably
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced?
Past Headphones - I've only ever owned cheap IEMs for my commute to work. They're fine for what I need them for. I'm looking for something better for around my apartment.
Preferred Music - Punk, indie, hip-hop, some EDM, generally a wide variety but those are the primary genres

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

KillHour posted:

http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMAn-Electronics-RE-400-HiFiMan-Headphones/dp/B00AWLEAH6/

The price/performance curve for IEMs is WAY cheaper than circumaural. If your budget is $100, these are going to give you better everything for the money.

Pursus posted:

IEMs are probably the easiest, and will be the least obtrusive while sitting at a desk at work. You'll probably be OK with comfort if you get a set with multiple tips and you find the right fit. These ones are recently discontinued, come with 6 sets of tips and sound absurdly good for the price.

Within your original set of specifications, I think the Sennheiser Momentum around-ear fits the bill. They have a warm sound signature, very good isolation, great looks, and the headband is metal so you can bend it easily to adjust the clamping force for maximum comfort. The cups are a little small, so they might rest halfway on your ear if you've got giant ears or cause a problem with earrings, but they fit fine for me (my ears just touch the inside of the pads a little). They were $350 premium cans, but they recently released a 2.0 version so the original version are all being sold off pretty cheaply. The vendor I got my set from sells them reconditioned or open box for $110. I bought one set from them on ebay and a different model headphone direct from their website and both transactions went fine. I think this is the best you are going to do with that budget by far, just make sure you don't accidentally order the on-ear version.

Ebay Auction
Their actual website.

Thanks to both of you for the help. I'm still deciding on traditional vs in-ear, but I'll almost definitely go with one of those recommendations.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Happy to help, cycle bro. Ride safe!

I used the Bose (M)IE2 for a while, they were my first IEMs and I used them mostly under my helmet. They sounded pretty good to me (then) but after having Shures, I probably wouldn't think twice about skipping over the Bose. I haven't personally used any, but I hear great things about Etymotic IEMs in the same price range. Also, the Shure SE215s seem pretty much indestructible. Using them on the bike, they get snagged a lot, and the cable whips around often from the wind, but the inline remote option is 130bux. The Etys are going to be much flatter in terms of frequency response across the board, while the Shures have rolled off highs with some pretty forward bass.

I've had Shures in the past (been many many years now, pre-iPhone) and found them rather uncomfortable unfortunately. They're just too bulky. I don't dig the wrap around the ears thing, I wear glasses and it bugs me. They did sound really good though. Never a complaint there.

I've thought about Etymotics for literally like 8 years now. They seem fragile though. And yeah, I'm not super keen on flat freq response with mobile audio.

Why can't things be made especially for my stupid requirements?!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tacier posted:

Thanks to both of you for the help. I'm still deciding on traditional vs in-ear, but I'll almost definitely go with one of those recommendations.

The Momentums are very nice. I'm actually tempted at that price.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ddogflex posted:

I've had Shures in the past (been many many years now, pre-iPhone) and found them rather uncomfortable unfortunately. They're just too bulky. I don't dig the wrap around the ears thing, I wear glasses and it bugs me. They did sound really good though. Never a complaint there.

I've thought about Etymotics for literally like 8 years now. They seem fragile though. And yeah, I'm not super keen on flat freq response with mobile audio.

Why can't things be made especially for my stupid requirements?!

Bose IEMs aren't going to give you particularly good isolation because of the design of the eartips. Look at the HiFiMan RE400. Same price, more isolating, well made, sound great.

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

So I'm looking for IEMs:

Budget - About 50$
Source - My smartphone and my laptop
Isolation Requirements - I guess IEMs always have some kind of isolation? I would prefer to be able to hear a little bit of my surroundings
Preferred Tonal Balance - Good balance would be nice, I guess. I would also like a decent voice performance
Past Headphones - Bose OE2: still like them, very comfortable to wear, very mobile. Maybe a bit too much bass sometimes? / Standart Apple Earbuds: They're fine
Preferred Music - Electronic Music (minimal, house,techno), Pop-Punk, Jazz

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Question:

I just got a HD598 and a Fiio E07k. I am in love with it; it's awesome!

Question so I don't accidentally damage my stuff: If I was to ever max this, would I damage my headphones? Is there a range above which I'm risking it (Like, never go over 40)? It says 220mW @ 32 ohms and 36mW at 300 ohms.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
You'll damage your ears (permanently) before you break a headphone.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Word of warning for anyone considering a pair of Sennheiser IEMs, their customer service is poo poo. I've now sent back two pairs of IE80s after 3 and 8 months of use, respectively, for attenuated right channel audio. In both instances I created an RMA ticket, mailed back the headphones, and waited 4 weeks for an update on the status without hearing from them. I had to email their customer service for an update both times. The first time the replacement set was back-ordered by 2 months and this time they were back-ordered by 4 months so I'm not getting my replacement pair until Febru-loving-ary. I complained about the wait this time so they are sending me some $35 CX 1.0 to tide me over. I can't wait to repeat the process again in a few months when both pairs inevitably fail again.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

What's the general opinion here on the Sennheiser Urbanite XLs, along with the Wireless version? I've been looking for a decent quality pair of headphones for home use, specifically ones which can connect to my Pioneer HTP-072 receiver that I have all my devices connected to. I'm looking at the Urbanites because there's a cash-back redemption on here in Australia (in Aussie dollars, XL is $399-$100 cashback, while the XL Wireless is $499-150). I was hoping for some advice on this front - are they good in general for the price, and how would they be with receiver connection so I can use them for pretty much everything?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The PC hardware thread in Games directed me here, what's a good replacement in the $40 range for my Sony MDR-XD200s, since they've finally started to fall apart on me.

Somebody suggested these, are they good?
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=605050

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
The Bifrost Multibit is in and it's sounding pretty damned good. I'm not going to get into crazy audiophile land here but simply there seems to be a positive effect on the soundstage of my HD 800s. Wider? Sounds like it. Most importantly, I'm loving how the treble is coming out. Feels like the treble is less harsh - listening to a Stan Getz SACD and the sax is just so damned sweet sounding, hah. Also I actually checked my living room to see if my roommate had company or something but it was someone talking in the crowd of the club Stan was playing in :wow:. The fact that you can get this kind of quality DAC for $599 is probably a little crazy.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 24, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I'm not going to get into crazy audiophile land here

You sure about that?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Yeah, the part he didn't tell us is that he only heard the sound difference after balancing it on a $1,500 set of special conical standoffs.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Croc Monster posted:

Yeah, the part he didn't tell us is that he only heard the sound difference after balancing it on a $1,500 set of special conical standoffs.

I have my monitors isolated from the desk with 1/4" foam sheets I had laying around.

Can't hear the difference. Makes me feel good inside. Just what would happen if there was just this one resonant frequency which caused this 200lb desk to buzz the wood on the speaker...???!!! WHAT IF????

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
So, let's say I have terrible tastes. My daily-driver Xiaomi Piston 2s died a day ago on the way home from work. I liked them more than my VSonic GR07s which I'm needing to use as a backup.

Are the Piston 3s equivalent? Does anyone know a legit seller for them in the USA?

Alternatively, is there anything else in the sub-$75 range that would have the same balance of not sounding like muddled poo poo, while having a nice kind-of-inflated bass kick like the Pistons?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

My old bose headphones are getting wonky, also looking for something that doesn't need batteries or emit high-pitched squeals when pressed against my head.

Budget - <$100
Source - iphone
Isolation Requirements - not sure, using them mostly on public transit/walking so want to block out people screaming or whatever
Preferred Type of Headphone - over ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - probably bass heavy? or balanced? i like it loud.
Past Headphones - bose noise cancelling. no real complaints, they're just getting old and having more and more issues.
Preferred Music - Shoegaze, grunge, chillwave

grack
Jan 10, 2012

shymog posted:

So, let's say I have terrible tastes. My daily-driver Xiaomi Piston 2s died a day ago on the way home from work. I liked them more than my VSonic GR07s which I'm needing to use as a backup.

Are the Piston 3s equivalent? Does anyone know a legit seller for them in the USA?

Alternatively, is there anything else in the sub-$75 range that would have the same balance of not sounding like muddled poo poo, while having a nice kind-of-inflated bass kick like the Pistons?

The Piston 3s have a different sound signature than the Piston 2s and have less bass. The HifiMan RE300 or JVC Elation perhaps? I'm also a big fan of the OM Audio InEarPeace - they have more or less the exact sound signature you're looking for. The issue with the InEarPeace is that the nozzles are pretty big and aren't comfortable for people with small ear canals.

grack fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 24, 2015

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'm not going to get into crazy audiophile land here
I would bet 3 figures you can't double blind it.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

grack posted:

The Piston 3s have a different sound signature than the Piston 2s and have less bass. The HifiMan RE300 or JVC Elation perhaps? I'm also a big fan of the OM Audio InEarPeace - they have more or less the exact sound signature you're looking for. The issue with the InEarPeace is that the nozzles are pretty big and aren't comfortable for people with small ear canals.

Hmmm. On those InEarPeace, are the nozzles too large to fit Comply T-400? That's kind of a requirement for me since I haven't found something else that fits as well.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

shymog posted:

Hmmm. On those InEarPeace, are the nozzles too large to fit Comply T-400? That's kind of a requirement for me since I haven't found something else that fits as well.

The InEarPeace uses T-500s, so one size up. It's a 6MM nozzle.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
So I broke down and got me the AD900X cans and I'm loving them so far just the right amount of bass I wanted and an even better soundstage. They are a bit tighter fitting too but the thicker ear pads make up for that. One thing that I find odd is that there is a bend or curve in the headphone cable about 2-3 inches before it goes into the left underside of the headphones. It's not binding or twisting so should I be worried about this? I tried Google but all I got was headphone cable repair guides.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

evil_bunnY posted:

I would bet 3 figures you can't double blind it.

I'm not going to pretend to be an audio expert. I'm simply giving my honest impressions of the product. If you don't believe there's a difference between R2R multibit and delta sigma then I have no problem with that opinion. I have owned a pair of HD 800s and a Bifrost Uber for quite some time and felt like the differences I described made the upgrade to multibit worth it. I won't make any claims beyond that.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

shymog posted:

Like already mentioned, the Piston 3's are less bassy. The build quality is also a little bit better, but I don't really like the angled design they have for it. Microphonics is also worse because the wires are a little thicker and heavier. It's still pretty good though, so you may not mind it as much.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Can anybody recommend me some Bluetooth headphones for my iPhone?

I won't be using them to work out, but I would use them at my desk and possibly at home while cutting the lawn, doing other yardwork, etc.

I find the Apple ear-buds included with the iPhone to be uncomfortable and they don't block out too outside noise. I do enjoy the HTC headphones but they aren't wireless.

Can anybody give me some suggestions? I'm not an audiophile and comfort would be my number one priority.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

I'm not going to pretend to be an audio expert. I'm simply giving my honest impressions of the product. If you don't believe there's a difference between R2R multibit and delta sigma then I have no problem with that opinion. I have owned a pair of HD 800s and a Bifrost Uber for quite some time and felt like the differences I described made the upgrade to multibit worth it. I won't make any claims beyond that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1DcD8e55YY

But no, seriously, have a friend double blind you on them. I would legitimately be curious to see how this turns out.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Random question: Right now I use the Sennheiser PX 200 II for work and travel. They're alright, but I'd prefer something more comfortable. The other day, a coworker brought in his PX 100 II and the foam pads feel great in comparison to the mini cups. But, I'd rather stick with closed rather than open. Is there anything similar to the PX 100 in price and quality that has the foam earpads but is closed? Or is there any way to replace the cups on my PX 200 with pads?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

TheEye posted:

Random question: Right now I use the Sennheiser PX 200 II for work and travel. They're alright, but I'd prefer something more comfortable. The other day, a coworker brought in his PX 100 II and the foam pads feel great in comparison to the mini cups. But, I'd rather stick with closed rather than open. Is there anything similar to the PX 100 in price and quality that has the foam earpads but is closed? Or is there any way to replace the cups on my PX 200 with pads?

Replacement foam ear pads for the PX 100 should fit directly on to your PX 200. You can order them online or just go to like a local Radio Shack and buy a set of replacement foam pads that will fit. The existing cups can just be pulled off.

Just a note though that replacing cups with foam pads will change the sound signature somewhat.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Budget - 100dollarsish would probably be enough for me.
Source - Iphone.
Isolation Requirements - Wouldn't hurt, I guess. But sometimes I'd be wearing them while cycling, so maybe it would be important to hear the road.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM or earbud. Bluetooth.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced I guess.
Past Headphones - Iphone earbuds, and I had some IEM Sony things that were nice.
Preferred Music - Rock, typically, but I listen to everything.

I've started working out and the gym I go to has gym shorts with no pockets, so I'm looking for some bluetooth headphones to use while I work out. Then I can just put my phone down and still listen to music. While I lift.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

grack posted:

Replacement foam ear pads for the PX 100 should fit directly on to your PX 200. You can order them online or just go to like a local Radio Shack and buy a set of replacement foam pads that will fit. The existing cups can just be pulled off.

Just a note though that replacing cups with foam pads will change the sound signature somewhat.

Nice and easy, thanks!

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1DcD8e55YY

But no, seriously, have a friend double blind you on them. I would legitimately be curious to see how this turns out.

; ). I'd love to, but the board has been swapped out and I don't have an extra Bifrost sitting around. In fact, I lent my whole audio setup to my best friend after a few days with it and they keep begging for more time...I'm currently using monitor speakers for audio.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Why do you think there's a difference? What is the new DAC doing that your old DAC wasn't doing?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Why do you think there's a difference? What is the new DAC doing that your old DAC wasn't doing?

Jerking off each bit to completion and cleaning the mess up with gold plated kleenex tissues.

Apart from O2ODAC/M+M combo, are there any other decent DAC/AMP kits around the same price?

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Concurred posted:

My Senn HD 598s lost sound in the right ear cup Friday night. I noticed it after I woke up on Saturday. I don't know if something came loose inside but nothing seems damaged on the outside. From looking up claims on google it seems they have a fairly decent rating with warranty satisfaction, and since I bought these in January I should be more than okay. Does anybody have personal experience with Sennheiser and repair/warranty claims? Just want to know if I'm in for a long haul of a wait or if they're fairly expedient.

Also, unrelated but related, I hear weird static and crackling from my headphones / speakers every now and then. This house is old as gently caress and I'm plugged into a grounded outlet so I really don't know what could be causing that kind of thing. Maybe the fact that this house is 100 years old.

Just an update: Sennheiser sent me a brand new pair but I did have to call their Customer Service to get the ball rolling. They sent mine out a week and a half ago on Friday and I got them a week ago Monday.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Looks like ATH-M50x's just went down to $129.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HVLUR86/

Thinking about picking these up even though I just got a pair of hd 558's as I want something with a bit more bass.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 28, 2015

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Harminoff posted:

Looks like ATH-M50x's just went down to $129.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones

Thinking about picking these up even though I just got a pair of hd 558's as I want something with a bit more bass.

It's a daily deal so jump today if you want it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.
A few pages ago I asked for advice on approx. 300-400 USD closed, over-ear headphones, which would fit my giant head:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563521&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=93#post450928446

After ordering and returning over 4K worth of cans (mainly from Amazon) I finally settled on Sony MDR-1A:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR1A-Premium-Hi-Res-Headphones/dp/B00NBMHY58

I haven't seen them on any "top cans" lists but they are really comfortable, not too hot and with ample room for ears. And after having constantly listened to regular iPhone earbuds for over a month, the difference is simply incredible.

FYI, Shure SRH1540 were equally comfortable but:
a). Cable connectors seemed flimsy and I could swear I occasionally heard "static" when touching the left wire.
b). I didn't want to spend $500.

I do have a question though. Both included cables are pretty short and on Amazon majority costs <7 bucks:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/top-rated/electronics/3224439011/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_tr

In photography, you never put a cheap, plastic filter on a 2K lens. I get it that buying very expensive cables is retarded but should I really only spend $5 if my cans cost 70x more?

Thanks.

Unexpected fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 28, 2015