Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hell, same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

I sure am glad recommending LoGH is passe and pushing k-on constantly is the new fuckin thing to do.

I have never given a recommendation that is not K-ON, even in the last thread

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Both are poo poo out of an rear end.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Both are poo poo out of an rear end.

Conversely, both may be good, or perhaps it is just that Something Awful has as many sexual deviants as fetish lifestyle site, fetlife.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Namtab posted:

I have never given a recommendation that is not K-ON, even in the last thread

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
if you enjoyed legend of the galactic heroes, and k-on, might i recommend cross ange

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

if you enjoyed legend of the galactic heroes, and k-on, might i recommend cross ange

reported.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Regarding the psychopass movie, the animation is definitely way above whats in the show, and the gore is pretty intense too. The backgrounds are pretty silly a lot of the time, but thats sorta been the aesthetic for the show as well. Honestly its not much more egregious than some of the funky cg in the second gits movie.

It does however have the same off model problem that production ig bumps into sometimes. For instance, the main gal has big ol hooters in her little sparing match at the beginning of the film, and then literally the next scene, in the shower no less, shes at her normal size, which is pretty weird.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

DamnGlitch posted:

Regarding the psychopass movie, the animation is definitely way above whats in the show, and the gore is pretty intense too. The backgrounds are pretty silly a lot of the time, but thats sorta been the aesthetic for the show as well. Honestly its not much more egregious than some of the funky cg in the second gits movie.

It does however have the same off model problem that production ig bumps into sometimes. For instance, the main gal has big ol hooters in her little sparing match at the beginning of the film, and then literally the next scene, in the shower no less, shes at her normal size, which is pretty weird.

Well she's not going to wear a push-up in the shower is she?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Or any other scene apparently

Edit: the movie was pretty great. Some incredible combat scenes and a much more solid premise than the second season. It also retroactively justifies the second season a bit, in my opinion.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 24, 2015

CelestialCookie
Oct 23, 2012

I See Dead People
Is there any other anime movies out there that have the same tone and feeling like Satoshi Kon's movies? Anything besides the ones made by Ghibli studios, preferably.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

What, what Studio Ghibli movies have the same tone and feeling as a Satoshi Kon film?

CelestialCookie
Oct 23, 2012

I See Dead People

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

What, what Studio Ghibli movies have the same tone and feeling as a Satoshi Kon film?

Just in case anyone think that way.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

I just watched 5 Centimeters Per Second and bawled my eyes out. It started out like a pretty typical romantic drama, but ended on way more of a mature note than I was expecting. I liked it a LOT, and would like to keep going with this kind of anime.

Does anyone have any suggestions for movies that are kind of like this that...

1) are not Ghibli

2) are emotional, but don't try to elicit cheap feels by killing off characters

Any help would be appreciated! I haven't watched any sort of anime in a long time, and watching that was a very pleasant surprise.

aherdofpenguins fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 24, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

aherdofpenguins posted:

I just watched 5 Centimeters Per Second and bawled my eyes out. It started out like a pretty typical romantic drama, but ended on way more of a mature note than I was expecting. I liked it a LOT, and would like to keep going with this kind of anime.

1) are not Ghibli

Any help would be appreciated! I haven't watched any sort of anime in a long time, and watching that was a very pleasant surprise.

Go check out Patema Inverted.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You might like Wolf Children Ame and Yuki, though it may accidentally awaken your furry impulses

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

aherdofpenguins posted:

1) are not Ghibli

Mamoru Hosoda's The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and especially Wolf Children were tailor made for you.

I'd also give Satoshi Kon's Tokyo Godfathers and (also by Shinkai, the 5cm fellow) Voices of a Distant Star.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Mamoru Hosoda's The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and especially Wolf Children were tailor made for you.

I'd also give Satoshi Kon's Tokyo Godfathers and (also by Shinkai, the 5cm fellow) Voices of a Distant Star.

Phobophilia posted:

You might like Wolf Children Ame and Yuki, though it may accidentally awaken your furry impulses

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go check out Patema Inverted.

Oh man, I have a lot of stuff to keep me busy. After looking through some descriptions it sounds like I'm going to start with Voices of a Distant Star just because it's so short, then Wolf Children. I'll check all those out though, thanks!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

If I'm not mistaken, heads up on voices from a different star; same dude who did 5 cm, but it's more like a student film than the latter. you will... see what I mean.

It's still sweet but it does have that impediment.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah Voices of a Distant Star is just one guy, in the original version he and his wife even did the voice acting. It's short, but it's good.

His actual first project is She and Her Cat, a 5 minute short that is also definitely worth tracking down.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a kitten posted:

Yeah Voices of a Distant Star is just one guy, in the original version he and his wife even did the voice acting. It's short, but it's good.

It was also rendered on his home PC, if I recall correctly.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

DamnGlitch posted:

If I'm not mistaken, heads up on voices from a different star; same dude who did 5 cm, but it's more like a student film than the latter. you will... see what I mean.

It's still sweet but it does have that impediment.

I...I saw the impediment you were talking about. I still think it was a really cool concept and definitely worth watching, but didn't capture me in the same way 5cm did. I'm generally not a big fan of like, sci-fi-ish stuff, so maybe that's why.

I also just watched She and Her Cat and loved it! I have no idea what it is about this guy but I love his writing and the backgrounds in all of the things I've watched so far.

aherdofpenguins fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 24, 2015

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

legend of galactic heroes is really long. does it take like 30 episodes to get going or is there a ton of unnecessary padding or anything like that, or is it just a billion episodes of nonstop quality anime?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

What I watched of it seemed pretty dry and slow, though I'll readily admit I'm not a big space opera fan and I can see why that crowd eats it up.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

legend of galactic heroes is really long. does it take like 30 episodes to get going or is there a ton of unnecessary padding or anything like that, or is it just a billion episodes of nonstop quality anime?

It's the latter, assuming you like the kind of story it is.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

It's pretty much great from the beginning, but it is front loaded with character that;ll take you a while to remember. It helps you though, it;ll repeat titles on the screen. If the movies don't grab you hang on til episode 14. There isn't much filler feeling episodes, one or two really.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is there much action or comedy in it?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

I would say just watch the first movie, My Conquest is the Sea of Stars, it will give you a pretty good idea of what the rest of the series will be like. It's only an hour long so it's not as big of a time investment. There is action, and there are funny moments, but I can't really say there's "much" action or comedy.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

that sounds like a good idea, thanks!

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Phobophilia posted:

I walked into some people watching this once. It was some kids talking in an empty school, and looked pretty well made, then BAM one's suddenly a furry and I just rofl-ed out of the room.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

A good amount of ship action, occasional extra gory hand to hand combat, I think some of the character are really really funny, but it's less comedy and more wit.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pavlov posted:

I walked into some people watching this once. It was some kids talking in an empty school, and looked pretty well made, then BAM one's suddenly a furry and I just rofl-ed out of the room.

It's one of the best movies ever made.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
I certainly got a kick out of what I saw, but probably not for the intended reasons.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Maybe actually give it a watch instead of being like that, it's a great movie.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I walked into a room where anime was being shown to me, and the CRazieSt THING happened!!! sit down, you're gonna want to brace yourself.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
He Walked In On Some Folks Watching Anime And You Won't Believe What Happened Next; At 2:14 My Faith In Humanity Was Restored.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

He Walked In On Some Folks Watching Anime And You Won't Believe What Happened Next; At 2:14 My Faith In Humanity Was Restored.

I'd read this LN

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

This I would watch tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bad Seafood posted:

block