Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

CelestialCookie posted:

Is there any other anime movies out there that have the same tone and feeling like Satoshi Kon's movies?

mamoru oshii trades in a lot of the same thematic elements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

I saw a recommendation somewhere on this board for an anime that was described as "like chai tea for the soul" or something like that, does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

aherdofpenguins posted:

I just watched 5 Centimeters Per Second and bawled my eyes out. It started out like a pretty typical romantic drama, but ended on way more of a mature note than I was expecting. I liked it a LOT, and would like to keep going with this kind of anime.

Does anyone have any suggestions for movies that are kind of like this that...

1) are not Ghibli

2) are emotional, but don't try to elicit cheap feels by killing off characters

Any help would be appreciated! I haven't watched any sort of anime in a long time, and watching that was a very pleasant surprise.

The k-on movie will give you intense feels

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Astro Ambulance posted:

I saw a recommendation somewhere on this board for an anime that was described as "like chai tea for the soul" or something like that, does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

I don't know specifics, but you should watch k-on

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Astro Ambulance posted:

I would also be interested in this!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Astro Ambulance posted:

Yeah that could be descriptive of a lot of things but for now I'll take a guess at it being...Non Non Biyori.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah that could be descriptive of a lot of things but for now I'll take a guess at it being...Non Non Biyori.

I'm pretty sure that's the real answer

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Could also be Barakamon

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its a slice of life for sure

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Pretty sure it was this, thanks! Also I just started K-ON because it looks cute.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Astro Ambulance posted:

Pretty sure it was this, thanks! Also I just started K-ON because it looks cute.

Thank you.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Could also be Barakamon
barakamon should be recommended over k-on in pretty much all respects

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Quest For Glory II posted:

K-On has nicer animation, though honestly thinking about it I don't think they're quite comparable in what they set out to do.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

It's really dumb how it's blocked out on CR for US IPs, though! But yeah that was such a good one.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

It's really dumb how it's blocked out on CR for US IPs, though! But yeah that was such a good one.
is it because it's on hulu free? that's where i watched it

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Nate RFB posted:

It's really dumb how it's blocked out on CR for Canadian IPs, though! We can't even watch it on Hulu. But yeah that was such a good one.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Huh, i swear i watched the first episode there...guess i shouldn't have slacked off about watching it.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Poking about, it seems that Barakamon is unwatchable on Crunchyroll pretty much everywhere in the world, unless it's there somewhere I didn't check, like Australia or Italy or something. It's at least not in the UK/Ireland/France/Germany/Spain/US/Canada/Mexico/etc. I think Funimation licensed it, so that's perhaps why it was removed.

That's something I'm curious about, actually. Why, when Hulu/Funimation only stream in the US (and maybe Canada, I can't remember), does loads of stuff they license mysteriously disappear from streaming services all around the world? It'd be silly of them to buy worldwide streaming rights for stuff if they're not going to air it outside the US anyway, but it happens so frequently that I can't help but wonder if that's exactly what they're doing. If so, I really wish they'd stop.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm more perturbed by the lack of classic anime to legally stream from even, like. the 00s. no streaming azumanga daioh on any of the legal sites? no lovely complex? not even any of rumiko's old jams like maison ikkoku?

at least there's an ok amount of 80s anime out there on hulu and such. even CATS EYE

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

Or any other scene apparently

Edit: the movie was pretty great. Some incredible combat scenes and a much more solid premise than the second season. It also retroactively justifies the second season a bit, in my opinion.

How so? I gave up on season 2 after about four or five episodes because it seemed like it was going nowhere new, was just retreading what season 1 already covered but in a worse way and had the most insufferably obnoxious support character. Which, I guess, you could at least say is a plus when every other character has no character or personality.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

aherdofpenguins posted:

I just watched 5 Centimeters Per Second and bawled my eyes out. It started out like a pretty typical romantic drama, but ended on way more of a mature note than I was expecting. I liked it a LOT, and would like to keep going with this kind of anime.

Does anyone have any suggestions for movies that are kind of like this that...

1) are not Ghibli

2) are emotional, but don't try to elicit cheap feels by killing off characters

Any help would be appreciated! I haven't watched any sort of anime in a long time, and watching that was a very pleasant surprise.

Garden of Words is the closest Shinkai's come to making another 5cm/s and with a running time of ~45min it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

I'm more perturbed by the lack of classic anime to legally stream from even, like. the 00s. no streaming azumanga daioh on any of the legal sites? no lovely complex? not even any of rumiko's old jams like maison ikkoku?

at least there's an ok amount of 80s anime out there on hulu and such. even CATS EYE
Probably a huge mess of semi-orphaned works where the rights holders may not even remember what's in their catalogue and/or are holding out for a better licensing arrangement because it's not like the property is going anywhere.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It is also bad like all Shinkai that is not Voices of a Distant Star. :v:

In all seriousness, Garden of Words is definitely one to watch if you like 5cm/s.

BTW, among people who like Shinkai, what is the consensus on Place Promised in our Early Days? For me, it starts off very intriguing and pretty (if still very Shinkai), and then... :confused: A whole lotta nonsense happens and it culminates in a non-ending of epicly pointless proportions.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

I find all of Shinkai's works beautiful enough that I'm always keen to watch them, but his pacing is really bad a lot of the time, including Place Promised and especially Children Who Chase Lost Voices.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

I'm glad he does occasional TV commercials because that and music videos are a perfect match for his strengths while avoiding his weaknesses.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Paracelsus posted:

Probably a huge mess of semi-orphaned works where the rights holders may not even remember what's in their catalogue and/or are holding out for a better licensing arrangement because it's not like the property is going anywhere.
it is unfortunate tho, cause I boot up the funimation app on ios and i'll see stuff like Kodocha and they still list it as theirs but they dont stream it anywhere

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm reading through Eden: It's An Endless World on recommendation from the Convince With One(or more) Pages thread and I'm not really feeling it. I mean it's decent, and the artwork is great, the various storylines can be okay and the mechanical designs and such are fantastic, but it's basically the "you're gonna have a bad time" of manga. Are you a character in Eden? Chances are, you're gonna have a bad time. Are you a child or a woman onscreen at any point in Eden? You're probably gonna have a bad time. Are you a heavily armored power suit soldier or a cop? You're definitely gonna have a bad time. Are you a character who's been in the series for half its run, had a pretty nice amount of character growth, is a strong character in your own right, and end up with a happy ending? You're goddamn guaranteed to have a bad time. Nothing ever goes right, someone always sabotages [thing], everyone's a spy/backstabber.

It's like the author cannot under any circumstances let anyone come out of a bad situation well, or if they do, sure as shootin' something even worse will happen to them later on.

Oh and "having a bad time" means "horrifying, gruesome death by dismemberment, headshot, decapitation, impalement, riddled by bullets, explosion, immolation, evisceration, brain-fry, etc"

There's like, two characters I can think of who haven't yet been mutilated somehow and have been around for a long time. Hell, one of the others who was, just DID get mutilated. There was a comparison to Ghost in the Shell in there but I'm feeling like this is much more disjointed and incohesive than GITS, especially GITS:SAC.

I'm maybe halfway through though, just got to the part where Helena shows up again for just long enough to get her brains blown right the gently caress out

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Pavlov posted:

But wouldn't the people watching K-ON have to stop touching their little things in order to reflect on them?

:yikes:

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm reading through Eden: It's An Endless World on recommendation from the Convince With One(or more) Pages thread and I'm not really feeling it. I mean it's decent, and the artwork is great, the various storylines can be okay and the mechanical designs and such are fantastic, but it's basically the "you're gonna have a bad time" of manga. Are you a character in Eden? Chances are, you're gonna have a bad time. Are you a child or a woman onscreen at any point in Eden? You're probably gonna have a bad time. Are you a heavily armored power suit soldier or a cop? You're definitely gonna have a bad time. Are you a character who's been in the series for half its run, had a pretty nice amount of character growth, is a strong character in your own right, and end up with a happy ending? You're goddamn guaranteed to have a bad time. Nothing ever goes right, someone always sabotages [thing], everyone's a spy/backstabber.

It's like the author cannot under any circumstances let anyone come out of a bad situation well, or if they do, sure as shootin' something even worse will happen to them later on.

Oh and "having a bad time" means "horrifying, gruesome death by dismemberment, headshot, decapitation, impalement, riddled by bullets, explosion, immolation, evisceration, brain-fry, etc"

There's like, two characters I can think of who haven't yet been mutilated somehow and have been around for a long time. Hell, one of the others who was, just DID get mutilated. There was a comparison to Ghost in the Shell in there but I'm feeling like this is much more disjointed and incohesive than GITS, especially GITS:SAC.

I'm maybe halfway through though, just got to the part where Helena shows up again for just long enough to get her brains blown right the gently caress out

That's fine, Eden is trash.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

You should read k-on instead

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Droyer posted:

I don't think there's much that beats TTGL in terms of scale, but scale isn't necessarily an indicator of quality. As others have said, try the gunbuster+diebuster combo.

Sounds like a plan. Just finished Kill la Kill, which was fun and dumb. Gamagoori is the best character.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I couldn't go on after the landmine scene.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sharkopath posted:

I couldn't go on after the landmine scene.
Which one? :v:

Like I think the one with the black dude with Batou-eyes was pretty well done, even if it was loving horrifying. I could understand exactly what he was thinking when he dove for the leg, but it wasn't a smart move and they both paid for it.

My biggest complaint about the series is that not a single deal has gone through unmolested. Every single illegal business transaction ends with one side trying to kill the other and walk away with everything instead of just completing the deal and being done with it, and it always results in a huge gunfight where pretty much everyone dies/gets mutilated.

I'm already this far into it so I'm going to finish it just to see where it goes, but as it stands, it's not a great series, and that's a drat shame because the character and mechanical designs and artwork continue to be outstanding.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm already this far into it so I'm going to finish it just to see where it goes, but as it stands, it's not a great series

Once the author runs out of ideas for ways to inflict misery and failure, the narrative goes off the rails... but not in a good bizarre way, just mediocre and stupid.

For a bonus game after you finish the series, figure out how many characters are actually relevant to the overall plot. (Yes, there is eventually some kind of plot; it just doesn't make any sense.)

Can't remember exactly but I think the answer is zero. The trainwreck of driving conflicts resolves itself in the most boring/contrived way possible, without any intervention from any of the cast. Nobody ever accomplishes anything meaningful and that recurring datachip/AI red-herring turns out to be an exposition dump.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 26, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

silentsnack posted:

Once the author runs out of ideas for ways to inflict misery and failure, the narrative goes off the rails... but not in a good bizarre way, just mediocre and stupid.

For a bonus game after you finish the series, figure out how many characters are actually relevant to the overall plot. (Yes, there is eventually some kind of plot; it just doesn't make any sense.)
Good ol' fashioned trainwreck. I can see the beginnings of it now in chapter 70+. And I just got to a part where it incredibly awkwardly flips between torturing a dude by hanging him from his arms and repeatedly smashing his broken, mangled legs with a pipe to get him to talk, then when he bites his own tongue off to spite them, they bash his teeth in with a hammer and then cut his balls off and shove them in his broken mouth, then it basically smash cuts to straight up sitcom shenanigans in an apartment with a few of the exact same characters as if something absolutely monstrous hadn't just happened.

I kinda like watching something like this completely unravel due to authorial incompetence, to be honest.

edit: I am totally okay with some of the crazy poo poo the author came up with, though. While I saw it coming a mile away, putting an old man's brain in an android dog's body, and the android dog has, like, spider-leg-knife-things in its back hidden in flaps under the fur is pretty loving cool

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 27, 2015

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Jimbot posted:

How so? I gave up on season 2 after about four or five episodes because it seemed like it was going nowhere new, was just retreading what season 1 already covered but in a worse way and had the most insufferably obnoxious support character. Which, I guess, you could at least say is a plus when every other character has no character or personality.

You aren't really wrong about it retreading the same ground. Mild spoiler for S2 and movie: S2 is a really hard retread of the first season executed at a lower level, which is to say, it's not as good. HOWEVER, I disagree with your assessment of no-one having a character. Akane was really interesting in the first season, and is about the only the interesting thing about the second season, since she's moving into the role of the 'detective'. S2 is not great, but at the same time it's not really BAD either. There is some ridiculous stuff that taken on it's own might be a deal breaker but in the context of the previous season is mostly just a little repetitive, which is almost appropriate if you think of it like a police procedural. all the same, when I finished S2 I thought it was pointless, but after watching the movie, the second season lets the characters breath and exist without Shinya Kogami, who pops back up in the movie. If he popped up immediately after the first season it would feel cheap, but with that breathing room it feels more earned, for me anyway.

So yeah, basically the value the movie gives the second series (IMO) is a way to pass time between the ending of the first series and the movie.

If you aren't interested in at least Akane as a character though it's sort of a pointless exercise head to toe though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hahahaha, eden is so bad! I thought people were being hyperbolic with saying it was trash garbage but wow, I just got to POP! and not only was it entirely unearned, but the lead up to it was dragged on forever, and the entire scene is like that narm thing, supposed to be shocking but winds up being hilarious/awkward instead.

This whole thing might just be the most disappointing dropped opportunity of any long running manga I've read, it's rather impressive.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
HAHAHA, finished it. What a mess.

If there were a thread for eden it'd have to be "Eden: when you get right down to it, its all about dicks."

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Just finished K-ON!
I'm not crying you're crying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm 3 episodes into eden of the east, it's really cool. i watched the first episode of psycho-pass, it was just ok. always dig the effort p.ig puts in tho

for some reason funi only has 4 season 1 episodes of psycho pass on hulu though, and the full second season. whatever funi!!! whatever!!!